TiVo Roamio: Records up to 6 shows simultaneously, 3TB storage, streams. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #181 of 836 Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I'm a little surprised about how the 30 second skip forward is more of a fast forward for 30 seconds.

Not sure if I like that better of the actual skip forward 30 seconds as I had on the S3.

What do you guys think?

Did they stop supporting the backdoor to enable 30 second skip? Premiere had default ffwd 30 seconds and backdoor to do the skip, I don't mind the 30 second skip so been running that. Wife would prefer I did the skip since I occasionally stop for commercials:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 836 Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

Did they stop supporting the backdoor to enable 30 second skip? Premiere had default ffwd 30 seconds and backdoor to do the skip, I don't mind the 30 second skip so been running that. Wife would prefer I did the skip since I occasionally stop for commercials:)

The choice is now in the Remote Menu.

Bob Holmes
Curmudgeon
post #183 of 836 Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post

Kelson,

A your wife should also appreciate the fact that the Roamio Remote is RF for Roamio control. She won't have to point it at the Roamio.
I noticed that. The Romio remote certainly has an ir emitter because it controls the volume, etc. on my plasma. And the Roamio understands ir codes because my Harmony (programmed for a TiVo HD) contols the Roamio just fine. My Harmony is pretty strong and can bounce codes to the TiVo pointed in any direction in the room. However it can't do anything when the nose of the remote is buried in a pillow -- the Roamio remote has no problem working pushed into a pillow or from under a blanket. That will help a lot because she just never grasped the concept of pointing the remote at the device it is intended to control. Unfortunately the Roamio remote doesn't control an HD so I can't get another one for the HD in the bedroom. I may get a Premier remote for that one. It has a very similar layout to the Roamio remote.
Quote:

The choice is now in the Remote Menu.
Not what you think. I found that choice and picked "skip". It turns out it just changes the function of the skip keys so that it skips to ticks or to the beginning or the end. It doesn't change the 30 sec scan to a 30 sec immediate skip. Unless there is a button sequence for the remote like there was for the HD, we are stuck with the scan.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #184 of 836 Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can recover 30-sec skip by hitting - "Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select on your remote while playing back a recording

Not sure if this survives a reboot though, I prefer the 30 sec Scan.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #185 of 836 Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post

You can recover 30-sec skip by hitting - "Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select on your remote while playing back a recording

It does. This Easter egg has also being available on the premier too.
post #186 of 836 Old 09-23-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excellent. Thank you.
Same remote sequence as for the TiVo HD. It should be noted the sequence needs to be entered quickly. If it doesn't work the first time do it again, faster.

We watched The Voice tonight and I used a lot of the 30 sec fast scan.
For me, it sucks.
I am so happy to get the immediate skip back.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #187 of 836 Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 10
I have a similar problem with FOX PrimeTime recordings. FF or skip seems to jump to 21 minutes then 40 then no where...It's weird!
TIVO support wanted me to provide the Signal Strength and SNR so I provided the stats for all 6 tuners.
They told me that it was a COX cable issue cuz I was getting 100 on signal and 40 SNR
My 2 premier's in the house don't seem to have a problem with FOX Primetime and their stats are not that far off from the Roamio.

Could it be that Roamio software is not able to handle FOX's screwy DRM or something?
Quote:

There is a serious bug in the Roamio software. Unlike the HD and HD XL, I can't speak to the Premiers, it is possible to to tune more than one tuner to the same channel. While thus is required if one of the Tuners is in use by a Mini it can lead to rather tragic results for the user if that channel is in the process of recording.

When viewing a recording in progress and a second tuner is tuned to the channel being recorded strange and infuriating results can occur.

As an example one of my clients was recording and watching the Dodgers game today on Fox Sports prime. During the game he got to the point he was about 14 minutes behind real time and could no longer move forward or backward in the recording.

After the game my client went to the recording in my shows. it was still recording and started plying at the eighth inning. He could not move forward and back. cycling through the six tuners showed all six were tuned to the same channel 738.

It is not known at this point if there are some flags on this channel that try to prevent certain actions if more than one tuner is connected through a cable card or if this undesired behavior would occur on any channel. In any case this is something that TiVo has overlooked and needs to address.

I would strongly urge caution in the use of existing Roamios and careful consideration of your tolerance for unexpected operation before the purchase of a Roamio.

I will post when more is known about this problem and when a solution has been rolled out by TiVo.
post #188 of 836 Old 09-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsons66604 View Post

I have a similar problem with FOX PrimeTime recordings. FF or skip seems to jump to 21 minutes then 40 then no where...It's weird!

See this thread for more info. Sounds like it's a high priority for tivo. I'm having this issue on fox hd as well. Seems to be happening mostly to Seattle area comcast users, but others have reported the problem too.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=508353
post #189 of 836 Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Works great..... Thanks !!!

At first it didn't work but after retrying a few times, it finally accepted the reprogramming.

Makes the feel of the Roamio seem even faster.

Also discovered that my Panasonic 65VT50 likes the Roamio to deinterlace and output 1080p over getting a native signal and having the Panasonic do the processing.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #190 of 836 Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone able to get the 30 second skip code working on a mini? Any tips? I tried a bunch of ways but came up short. I did get the quick menu hide code to work, not sure why the other is being such a hassle.
post #191 of 836 Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At first it didn't work but after retrying a few times, it finally accepted the reprogramming.
It did not work for me the first time also. In the TiVo HD thread, it says to press the sequence within 3 sec.

- kelson h

post #192 of 836 Old 09-25-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reading through this thread I could not determine if KMTTG will work with all Roamio models. Will it? With a wired connection will the Roamio have faster transfers than a Premiere?
post #193 of 836 Old 09-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Reading through this thread I could not determine if KMTTG will work with all Roamio models. Will it? With a wired connection will the Roamio have faster transfers than a Premiere?
Yes and yes.
post #194 of 836 Old 09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Yes, kmttg works just fine as does TiVo Desktop.
I got 60 Mbps transfer from TiVo to PC going through powerline adapters.
Another poster has cited getting 90Mbps with straight wired ethernet.

No clue what the rate is going back to the TiVo, but using TiVo Desktop it is fast enough so that I can start playing a CBS recording (16Mbps) as soon as I start the transfer option. By the first commercial, enough has downloaded to skip over it.

- kelson h

post #195 of 836 Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of transfers -- I do a lot of them. For series that I want to keep, I use Video ReDo to edit out the commercials and save as an .m2ts file to my server for streaming throughout the house on my WDTV Lives. Given Roamios fast transfer speeds that let me watch a title as soon as I start the transfer, I wanted to see what other video file formats it would play besides .tivo. Obviously I would like a common file format for HDTV recordings that could be played on both the TiVo and my WD Lives.

So, I opened a recent Roamio HDTV recording of an Arrow episode in VRD, edited out the commercials and saved it in all the common file formats available in VRD that can play on my WD Live. At first I left the video as the original MPEG-2 encoding and then I used VRD to recode it to H.264/AVC and saved it in all the available formats. I then put the files in a folder on the server that was shared by TiVo Desktop Server -- I went to the Roamio's show list, clicked into the server folder and played the files the Roamio could "see".

Here is the lineup and the results

MPEG-2 encoded file formats
.mpg, .ts, .m2ts, .m2v, .mkv
The only file that the Roamio recognized and listed was the .mpg file. The Roamio played the .mpg file perfectly. It ignored all the other file formats.

H.264/AVC encoded file formats
.ts, .m2ts, .mp4, .H264, .mkv
The only file that the Roamio recognized and listed was the .mp4 file. When I tried to play it on the Roamio, I got perfect video and no sound whatsoever. Unfortunately I didn't think to play the file on the WD Live to see if the problem was an encoding error with VRD. I have recoded a number of TiVo recordings to H.264/AVC saved as .m2ts and these play perfectly on the WD Live, so I know it is not an issue with the H.264/AVC encoding. It might be an issue with the .mp4 container VRD constructs. I'll have to look into this when I have more time.

I know the Premier and Roamio are supposed to support MPEG-4 for when cable companies decide to start encoding their stuff in MPEG-4. At first I thought that might be limited to MPEG-4 part 2 (simple profile) used for satellite and not MPEG-4 part 10 (H.264/AVC) that is used by VRD. But then I see VRD has a profile for TiVo-TS (h.264) .tivo files that specifies H.264/AVC encoding. I'll have to try one of those encodings also to make sure Roamio is compatible with the VRD output.

So, so far an .mpg file container is a good common file format for MPEG-2 encoded HDTV captures and most of the other common containers are not recognized by Roamio.
Keenan and saronian like this.

- kelson h

post #196 of 836 Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Does VRD allow you to restrict the encoded video to specific H.264 levels? Some devices require stricter adherence to levels than others, and L4.1 is usually the highest supported by hardware decoders. I assume VRD uses x264, which does have the ability to restrict its output.

As for muxing into the MP4 container, I've gotten good results with the YAMB frontend for MP4Box. You might try using a different muxer with your existing A/V streams to determine if it's the container or the content that results in having no audio.
post #197 of 836 Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Speaking of transfers -- I do a lot of them.
Thanks for this post, very informative.
post #198 of 836 Old 09-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

That brings up a very nice feature of pyTivo - it can transcode on the fly for a tivo. And, depending on what formats are in a container, mkv for instance, it can sometimes pull them out and repack them as an mpeg without transcoding at all. DVD's ripped to mkv for instance, can be sent to the tivo without transcoding the video or dd audio. DTS gets transcoded. Blu-rays ripped to mkv will have h264 video sent untouched, though vc-1 and hd audio will be transcoded. It's not perfect but useful for some.
post #199 of 836 Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Does VRD allow you to restrict the encoded video to specific H.264 levels? Some devices require stricter adherence to levels than others, and L4.1 is usually the highest supported by hardware decoders. I assume VRD uses x264, which does have the ability to restrict its output..
I'm going to say yes because there is an advanced screen in the profile definition that lets you change just about everything with the codecs. It has a profile for MPEG-4 part 2 as well.

- kelson h

post #200 of 836 Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

That brings up a very nice feature of pyTivo - it can transcode on the fly for a tivo. And, depending on what formats are in a container, mkv for instance, it can sometimes pull them out and repack them as an mpeg without transcoding at all. DVD's ripped to mkv for instance, can be sent to the tivo without transcoding the video or dd audio. DTS gets transcoded. Blu-rays ripped to mkv will have h264 video sent untouched, though vc-1 and hd audio will be transcoded. It's not perfect but useful for some.
TiVo Desktop will transcode if you let it. I don't. I don't want to transcode anything.

- kelson h

post #201 of 836 Old 09-27-2013, 03:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Also discovered that my Panasonic 65VT50 likes the Roamio to deinterlace and output 1080p over getting a native signal and having the Panasonic do the processing.

How do you mean the VT50 likes it? Does it give you a better picture? Is the video processor in the Roamio better than the one in the Panny?
post #202 of 836 Old 09-27-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakall View Post

How do you mean the VT50 likes it? Does it give you a better picture? Is the video processor in the Roamio better than the one in the Panny?

I though I saw a cleaner picture and tested it using the Oppo 95 with the S&M disk to confirm it. In hindsight, the test only proves that the Oppo does better deinterlacing than than the VT50 which may or may not transfer to the Roamio. In any event, I still think the picture looks a bit cleaner with the Roamio outputting 1080p.
dakall likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #203 of 836 Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In any event, I still think the picture looks a bit cleaner with the Roamio outputting 1080p.
When I was using the TiVo HD, I output Native and let the Panasonic plasma do the scaling. With the Roamio I let it stay set at Automatic so that it negotiates with the plasma and upconverts accordingly. To me the PQ looks every bit as good as when the plasma did the scaling. The side benefit is that channel changing is appreciably faster.

And yes, comparison to an Oppo is futile. The Oppo has such good scaling circuitry it will beat any TV's scaler. I think you have to go to DVDO to match the Oppo.

Coming from the TiVo HD, I continue to be pleasantly impressed with the features of the Roamio. The latest one I noticed is the very low throughput lag. We have an LCD in the kitchen, directly connected to the antenna and within earshot of the family room TiVo. With the TiVo HD, when both were tuned to the same channel the audio delay through the HD created a long delay echo with the kitchen that was maddening. Each side would tend to play louder to drown out the other -- you can imagine the eventual family conflict that caused. With the Roamio, the audio delay is very small and reduces the echo to a light reverb which is completely tolerable.

The only aspect of the new interface I find useless is the 4-panel suggestion bar at the top of the menu screen. I haven't figured out what that will ever be good for in my setting. I tried to use the settings menu to configure what it is supposed to display, but it seems to have a mind of its own and displays whatever. It would have more appeal if they simply used it for advertising -- which shows you how little value I have for it in its present state.

- kelson h

post #204 of 836 Old 10-03-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Can anyone tell me if the Roamio still allows you to output native resolution (480i, 720p and 1080i)? Also, are the component and all audio outputs active at the same time as HDMI? Thanks
post #205 of 836 Old 10-03-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Yes on native resolution of incoming video.

Itll output 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60 and 1080p/24.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #206 of 836 Old 10-03-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Yes on native resolution of incoming video.

Itll output 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60 and 1080p/24.
Meaning it will output any one of those on the fly depending on the source channel/material?
post #207 of 836 Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Yepp, "native" output.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #208 of 836 Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Yepp, "native" output.
Yeah, got that, it's just that the way you stated it above it may not have been clear to others as you used the word "incoming" in the first line and "output" in the second line without any connective explanation of the two statements. No big deal. smile.gif
post #209 of 836 Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm considering buying 1 of these. Does anybody know how much Comcast would charge for a cablecard?
post #210 of 836 Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

I'm considering buying 1 of these. Does anybody know how much Comcast would charge for a cablecard?
It varies somewhat depending on which market you're in but in the SF bay area it runs $1.50 for the card. There is also a customer owned equipment adjustment(credit) of -$2.50. In my case I have 4 cards at $1.50 per for a $6 total but the resulting cost out of pocket is only $3.50 because of the credit.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Tivo Roamio Dvr , Tivo Roamio Plus Dvr , Tivo Roamio Pro Dvr

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page