Cablevision 10 Tuner DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cablevision reps are trying to woo my father-in-law into switching from Verizon FiOS to them. One of their selling points is their new '10-tuner MRV DVR'. From my research, it looks like a Cloud based service.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Supposedly, their triple play will save him over $45 a month at about $108 after all fees vs Verizon's best offer. It doesn't sound too bad.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
Last time I looked at it, there wasn't much storage space--75 hours of HD storage. I calculate that as about 750 MB. I think many people with DVRs are likely to need 150 hours of storage (for example, if they record several shows during the year and catch up over the summer). But your father-in-law's needs may vary from mine, and this might be sufficient.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #3 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

Cablevision reps are trying to woo my father-in-law into switching from Verizon FiOS to them. One of their selling points is their new '10-tuner MRV DVR'. From my research, it looks like a Cloud based service.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Supposedly, their triple play will save him over $45 a month at about $108 after all fees vs Verizon's best offer. It doesn't sound too bad.

My quick thoughts on Cablevision.... They suck!!! I've been waiting for "the cloud" forever when they first sold me the service, that never happened so I bought a TiVo. The TiVo is the only reason I use Cablevision.

I also have Directv, don't ask why but i do. Having both in the same room, on the same TV has confirmed how horrible their picture is. Their HD is a true step below that of Directv.

I don't have Fios, so maybe someone can chime in regarding their quality, but if I didn't have the triple play and tivo, Cablevision would be gone. It's also worth noting that fios is not available in my area.

My Gear
post #4 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

Last time I looked at it, there wasn't much storage space--75 hours of HD storage. I calculate that as about 750 MB. I think many people with DVRs are likely to need 150 hours of storage (for example, if they record several shows during the year and catch up over the summer). But your father-in-law's needs may vary from mine, and this might be sufficient.
Thank you. I do believer that you're correct about the space as they told him 300 SD hours and their website corroborates (75 HD/300SD). At this time, he does not have HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post

My quick thoughts on Cablevision.... They suck!!! I've been waiting for "the cloud" forever when they first sold me the service, that never happened so I bought a TiVo. The TiVo is the only reason I use Cablevision.

I also have Directv, don't ask why but i do. Having both in the same room, on the same TV has confirmed how horrible their picture is. Their HD is a true step below that of Directv.

I don't have Fios, so maybe someone can chime in regarding their quality, but if I didn't have the triple play and tivo, Cablevision would be gone. It's also worth noting that fios is not available in my area.
I'm surprised to hear the cloud isn't available in your area yet. We're in Western Nassau. I'm a D* sub and I'm exploring the FiOS option with TiVO Roamios and Minis. The problem is that the D* setup works flawlessly with 3 HR-24's and an H25. The Roamio is relatively new so I'm curious to read about those experiences on the other thread as well. The other issue is the huge upfront cost.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page