Dish Tivo the 722 and my blunder! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-31-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I moved recently. Havent moved in many years! Lets just say I have been on a cable system for 20 + years. Just bought a tivo HD this year and put lifetime on it. Then I moved. I mistakenly ordered Dish Sattelite thinking, I don't need no stinkin' Dish DVR, I have an HD Tivo.... Ok I realize now the rules are a bit different on the sattelite side of things.

When dish came they installed a 222vip in my living room and ran it dual mode to the bedroom.... (sd def there arrgghh). The dish they used was at this house already and says DishHD and has 3 lnb's. Not sure if thats and important fact. So I buy a dvr from craigslist 722 and think I can just slap it on in the bedroom and just record sd and watch sd. That would be ok.. not ideal but i could start there. Go to the dish site and i get mumbo jumbo from them and them wanting to sell me rather than answer.

Long winded sorry.
So what would be the best way to hook the 722 dvr up in the bedroom?

Is there a way I can get HD in my bedroom and my living room?

Should I put the 722 in my living room?

I also have a third tv i wouldn't mind having hooked up?

I do like to do these things myself but should I give up, declare defeat and have dish set this up the right way?

I dont want to do anything unethical...but I cant get a feel from the dish web site as they seem to want an account number right away for any question I ask. I am used to being able to split my cable signal and sending it to any tv I wanted.

Anybody want to buy a Tivo Premiere with Lifetime!! haha... I really want to use that... is there no way to use it with dish?

thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Are under contract with Dish? If not I'll bet you can get an all new setup with DirecTV, a new HR 44 and a client and have HD in both rooms with whole home and easy expansion in the future. FOR FREE. That tivo won't work with any satellite system that I know of .
post #3 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You can indeed buy your own Dish receivers, install them yourself, and have them activated for free and w/o additional commitment. Of course any Dish receiver you buy better not be a leased receiver, or you have been sold stolen merchandise and Dish won't activate. You should also get the R00 number from the seller and check with Dish to insure that the account it was on doesn't carry any unpaid balance with Dish, or again they won't activate it.

All additional receivers (beyond the first) carry an additional receiver fee. If you successfully install your 722 and activate, it will become your primary receiver and your 222 will then cost $14/mo. Additionally, any DVR on your Dish account will come with a $7 account-level charge. Unless it's a Hopper or 922 in which case it's more. (Forget the cost myself since I have neither of those receivers.)

IMHO you should have gone with a Hopper to begin with, along with two Joeys, and have HD in 3 locations.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

You can indeed buy your own Dish receivers, install them yourself, and have them activated for free and w/o additional commitment. Of course any Dish receiver you buy better not be a leased receiver, or you have been sold stolen merchandise and Dish won't activate. You should also get the R00 number from the seller and check with Dish to insure that the account it was on doesn't carry any unpaid balance with Dish, or again they won't activate it.

All additional receivers (beyond the first) carry an additional receiver fee. If you successfully install your 722 and activate, it will become your primary receiver and your 222 will then cost $14/mo. Additionally, any DVR on your Dish account will come with a $7 account-level charge. Unless it's a Hopper or 922 in which case it's more. (Forget the cost myself since I have neither of those receivers.)

IMHO you should have gone with a Hopper to begin with, along with two Joeys, and have HD in 3 locations.

About the same with DirecTV never by the DVR's because at best they a used and if it does manage to get activated and it goes down you pay to fix. D* does have an in-home warranty, can't recall just what it is called but I don't know if it's set up to cover owned units. I think it's has something to do with just about everything ells. The coast of the first tuner/DVR is 0 but then there is a charge for HiDef and a DVR charge. every Client, DVR or tuner is 6 bucks per month in whats called a mirroring fee. I think my charges add up to about 30 bucks a month.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page