Tivo hard drive borked? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Tivo premiere for two years. I bought the lifetime service plan. Now my Tivo recordings get about 40 minutes into the show then it just stops. My only option is to delete the recording. Does this sound like the HDD needs to be replaced?

I looked at the procedure on YouTube and looks like it takes an hour or two and of course will require a new HDD. Putting in a new WD Red HDD looks like a plan - if that's what's needed. Any experience with this dilemma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-05-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinduclient View Post

I've had my Tivo premiere for two years. I bought the lifetime service plan. Now my Tivo recordings get about 40 minutes into the show then it just stops. My only option is to delete the recording. Does this sound like the HDD needs to be replaced?

I looked at the procedure on YouTube and looks like it takes an hour or two and of course will require a new HDD. Putting in a new WD Red HDD looks like a plan - if that's what's needed. Any experience with this dilemma?

Yep, sounds like the drive. Get the WD20EURS from Amazon or Newegg, they are AV-rated drives.

See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968 for copy and swap details.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinduclient View Post

First off, if you are taking the DIY route, you want an AV rated drive -- don't skimp.
Next, the DIY process depends on you being able to copy the original drive and writing it to the new one. There are TiVo specific files on there that are required for the TiVo to work. That is why you cannot simply drop a new drive in there, format it and be on your way (I believe Roamio has changed that). If the original HDD has failed to the extent that it cannot be copied you will need to get the necessary TiVo files from somewhere -- I don't know where you would.

There is another option, if you don't mind spending some extra $$ for the extreme convenience -- go to WeakKnees and buy one of their pre-configured upgrade kits. For $150 they will send you a 1TB pre-configued WD AV drive, the Torx wrenches and detailed installation instructions. This is perfect for a dead drive. All you do is pull the old one out and drop in the new one. Yes you lose all your recordings, but if your current drive is dead you've lost them anyway.

Some people prefer to do it the hard way to save a few $$ and take pride in the struggle. That's fine and all power to them. For people like me who just want to get up and running again with the least hassle, it doesn't get any easier than a WeakKnees kit -- but yes, you will pay a premium for that convenience.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page