Whole Home Video Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are building a house and have Cat5, Cat6 and RG6 wired to 8 tv locations throughout the house. I will have a rack in the basement with all of the equiptment for the house and a 4x4 matrix. My question is what is the best way to connect cable/D* to our house. If we decide to go with D* what is the best way to connect the boxes to the TVs? I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yes I understand what you want and the best way is let DirecTV do it. There are a few things that need to be used like solid copper core RG6 from the equipment room to the dish and that could be up to 4 lines depending on what is need to met what your requirements are. The cable runes from the rack to each location needs just one line in and DerecTV has a great deal of equipment to put together there systems. They also have what they call DECA that part of it and cares the network signal on the RG6, and that includes the whole home setup. I am not sure but I also believe that solid copper core RG6 is need there to. Run all the Cat5 and 6 you want for other things like smart TV's, computers and so forth, and the DirecTV is add ti your home net work with a cat5 to the router. Get them in there before the dry wall goes up or get a list of what is need from them and have your contractor do the cable runs with the rest of it, and after you are there have them install the rest of you system. One more thing to make sure of, all cables need to be home runs from your equipment room to the location in the home or the satellite dish. NO splitters

The 4x4 matrix is for something ells, not for cable/satellite systems. Maybe for an HDMI system from a blue ray player to TV's all over the house, and if thats what you are thinking its not going to workout well and you are better of having the players with the sets that play them.

This is a forum for satellite TV, DirecTV and Dish.
http://www.dbstalk.com/page/index.html
and this web site has the equipment for both systems to help you become aware of what is need for your install.
http://www.satpro.tv/index.aspx
Etherscreen likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I don't think that's what the OP wants. DirecTV will put a box in every room and connect them via RG6. The OP wants no DirecTV boxes in any room, just in the rack in the basement. Unless you run HDMI to every room, you're going to need some expensive HDMI over ethernet solution (many thousands of dollars). If I were you I'd live with DirecTV boxes in each room. The C31's are tiny and can easily be hidden away.

Why did you run CAT5 and CAT6 but no HDMI? That makes no sense to me.
Etherscreen likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just talked to my low voltage guy and he stated the we would use baluns to bring HD from the cable/directv receivers to the TVs. If this is the case will I still need a box per TV? Maybe I should walkthrough things with the guy doing my low voltage. I was just trying to plan ahead and decide whether to go with cable or directv and how many boxes I will need.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

No boxes with baluns. But a box per TV in your rack.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherscreen View Post

I just talked to my low voltage guy and he stated the we would use baluns to bring HD from the cable/directv receivers to the TVs. If this is the case will I still need a box per TV? Maybe I should walkthrough things with the guy doing my low voltage. I was just trying to plan ahead and decide whether to go with cable or directv and how many boxes I will need.

Go to the other forum that I gave you a link to. Your low voltage guy may not have an understanding of how a satellite system works. It is a complete deferent type of animal then cable. Spend some time on that site and get a little education before you pick.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-07-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't matter if you have cable or sat. If you want all boxes in one place, a video distribution system is required. The additional complication with cable is control of several identical, non-addressable boxes. Budget a few hundred dollars more for that. If you go with a box at each TV, on the other hand, the whole system will be completely free.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page