Need 2 more channel OTA recorders or 1 4 channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Tivo premier duel tuner w/lifetime. I only use it for OTA recording, we have conflicts on many shows especially when the new shows come out, like now. (I also have DTV). However we also get comflicts with network and some shows we record. So, I need 2 more tuners for OTA. My choices are:
Re activate my old Series 3 HD tivo and pay $14.95 per month for the guide.
Re Activate and buy lifetime service $399 (no discount for me)
Buy a new TIVO ROAMIO $199 plus $14.95 or $399 for the guide.
Buy Moxi or some other kind.
Build a HTPC.
Build a HTPC with 4 tuners or buy some kind.

We have had Tivo since the first Series 1 and are used to the interface and guide.

I need some suggestions for a HTPC of some type. I can build one, I have several computers I could use, or should I buy something like Moxie?
I built one some years ago. I forgot the OTA tuning card I bought, it was only 1 channel HD and used Component Video. So I have no problem doing it.
I have wired internet where I need it.

My questions are. How do the available guides compare to tivo? Cost?
Is it cheaper or better to build one or buy something like Moxie? Im not real up to date anymore and there is just too many things these days to read without some guidance on where to start. So I'm asking for some help in deciding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 332
If you require a guide, getting another TiVo or building an HTPC are pretty much your only options. The Moxie has been discontinued for years, and there is no guarantee that its guide service will continue to function, not to mention that if the hardware fails, you'll probably lose your investment. There are multiple PVR software packages and sources of guide data, and while most of the people in this forum seem to use WMC, that's mainly because it's the only one with support for copy-protected cable channels. If you're only recording OTA, you can avoid Windows completely and build an HTPC with Linux and MythTV with no software costs (aside from the guide fee, depending on how you acquire it).

The other DVRs make time-based recordings VCR style, so they probably won't suit your needs. The simplest solution would be to use the fact that you already have a TiVo with lifetime to get a discount on the Roamio, so that you'd only have one DVR with all the tuners you need.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

I am not so sure I can get a discount. The send me advertisements but the cheapest 4 tuner is $199 and lifetime is $399. Because I have lifetime on the other one they don't give a discount on purchase price only the guide comes down to $12.99 I think. I sold one with $6.99 per month because at one time I had 2 one at $12.99 and one at $6.99 but they don't offer that anymore.I got the lifetime for $299 because I already was paying for 2 monthly but they would not give me $299 for the 2nd one. I have to pay full price. I looked the other day at my discounts and they want $399 for lifetime or $12.99 monthly. Although I could sell my lifetime on eBay I guess and recover some money.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post

I am not so sure I can get a discount. The send me advertisements but the cheapest 4 tuner is $199 and lifetime is $399. Because I have lifetime on the other one they don't give a discount on purchase price only the guide comes down to $12.99 I think. I sold one with $6.99 per month because at one time I had 2 one at $12.99 and one at $6.99 but they don't offer that anymore.I got the lifetime for $299 because I already was paying for 2 monthly but they would not give me $299 for the 2nd one. I have to pay full price. I looked the other day at my discounts and they want $399 for lifetime or $12.99 monthly. Although I could sell my lifetime on eBay I guess and recover some money.

$399 lifetime IS the discount price for present Tivo users. It's normally $499 for new users.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe now, I got one for $299 and my daughter in law got 2 for that price each. We got coupons off the net about 2 years ago maybe early last year.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I have a Tivo premier duel tuner w/lifetime. I only use it for OTA recording, we have conflicts on many shows especially when the new shows come out, like now.
So, you are in the same boat as I am. I am OTA-only with a dual-tuner TiVo HD. With the returning series we watch and new series we may be interested in I have 28 season passes lined up -- lots of conflicts. My solution, for now, a media-PC running WMC -- but not for long.

I like to record a lot of stuff. I like to collect full series to watch as a block when the season ends -- I hate the 3 month hiatus they do mid-season for many shows. I typically collect new shows rather than watch as they are aired -- that way if they are canceled (many don't make it past mid-season) I have invested zero time in them and can just flush the recordings.

So all this stuff I collect can't sit on the TiVo, so I transfer it to my media-PC-server (Win-7 Pro) which controls a disk farm. Well since I already had the media-PC set up and I built it with some muscle to do multiple tasks, I bought an HD Homerun dual-OTA network tuner and implemented Windows Media Center (WMC). WMC has proven reliable over the past 6 months of use. I set up all the season passes for shows I just want to collect on WMC which eliminates all my recording conflicts and greatly reduces the TiVo recording schedule.

WMC files are not TiVo compatible and need some work. At the very least, I use Video ReDo to batch convert the .wtv files to .mpg -- this is very quick and takes only a couple minutes per file. I can then transfer them back to the Tivo for viewing and using the TiVo's commercial skipping features. If it is a series I want to keep, I'll go the extra yard and edit out the commercials and recode the MPEG-2 to H.264 and give it a place on my server for streaming through the house with our media players.

I was all set to continue this arrangement into the new sesaon -- then TiVo came out with a 4-tuner Roamio that I can't resist. With a new Roamio, I can redeploy the TiVo HD to the bedroom and use it for collecting new series and transferring to the server. The Roamio will take its place in the main viewing room as the main DVR and with its 4-tuners and the 2-tuners on the HD, I'll never have to worry about conflicts again. I've already decided to buy a Roamio and scrap WMC -- probably this weekend. Oh, and I won't think twice about getting lifetime with the Roamio.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well I don't wait until the series are finished like you do I just start recording but we don't catch up until Sat and Sunday, sometimes a week later.
I had posted in the Tivo form and somebody said he got lifetime guide for his Tivo HD for $99 from tivo. So I am going to try that. I also had a look on Ebay and they have sold Tivo HD's with lifetime guide for $150. So that would be way cheaper than a Roamio, since I already have that. Then I could let the wife put her stuff on it. So I'm checking that out.
thanks
post #8 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'm in the same boat with my Tivo HD w/lifetime. This fall I already have several tuner conflicts. I've been limping by with a iView(under $50) which is a single tuner HD DVR(with the addition of a USB HDD). The iView has severe limitations(can't be recording one program while watching another) and has a very crummy remote(which as I understand will be being replaced with a better one, but I just love my Tivo's peanut remote).
Last year I was able to get by with the 3 tuners and only used the iView for temporary conflicts but hated every time I had to use it.
I would really like to get the Roamio but dislike it's features. I use the S-video output on my HD all the time and also component output, both are lacking on the Roamio mad.gif Reading how the prices of the HD seem to be falling, maybe I should look for a used HD with lifetime, looks like my peanut remote has a switch for 2 units but the odd thing is no matter where I have that switch(DVR 1 or DVR 2) it controls my single HD confused.gif
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

In order to use 1 remote you have to set the tivo's to a different address. Its in the setup menu.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I got lifetime for $99 for the HD
post #11 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

I got lifetime for $99 for the HD
how long ago.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight, However I just checked my account and they activated a Tivo I had 10 years ago, it wasn't even in my account.
I had a Tivo HD series 3 and that's what I told them and that's what was in my account.and they supposed to activate and add lifetime.
Now I have to call them again tomorrow. This tivo says never activated in the system information screen.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Update:
They turned on the wrong box, looks like a 1st gen tivo I had back in 2001. I spent 1 hour on the phone this morning with a tech and now its correct. There are some new policy's from the lat time I check.
This is what the Tech told me.
1. You can get lifetime for the HD for $99, I don't know if its existing customers or not.
2. You get 3 years guarantee with lifetime purchase.
3. If the box craps out within the 3 years they will replace the HD and transfer your lifetime FREE
4. They have no more parts for the HD so you will get an upgrade to Premier.
5. After 3 years they will replace the box and charge $149 for the box and $199 for lifetime.

I think my HD may die within 3 years.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page