It still works ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My LG LST-3410A has been working quite well for about six months. After experimentation that started early this year, I've discovered several factors related to the proper operation of this machine. First and foremost, if the hard drive has any bad sectors, it will not record properly.
Using the "Format" option won't help. After re-formatting and trying different hard drives, including the original Seagate 120Gb, I tested them
all on a computer using the manufacturer's software. The software can identify, read and even "repair" bad sectors, but in the end, the LG won't work.
It also won't work if whatever signal it's receiving is even slightly inadequate. In my area, both my QAM and OTA signals are marginal, at best.
I had the LG connected to an amplifier that unfortunately went bad. This accounted for the unit appearing to record, with the amber light on, but in reality recorded either one minute of programming, or nothing at all. The clock signal reappeared after I bought a new amplifier. Then came my experimentation with hard drives. The hard drive I had been using for several years apparently had "bad" sectors. Once I changed the drive, after
verification with computer software, that the drive was error-free, the LG began recording normally once again. The TV Guide light stays on, and
when I boot the LG, a screen comes up stating "the search for data has failed". But it doesn't affect its operation, the clock remains fairly stable,
on with recording as usual.

I had previously thought the power supply board was at fault, and the so-called TV Guide "Cap" issue, etc., these were not the causes of the
problems I had. I also thought that after installing another hard drive, the first logical thing to do was to use the machine's Format command.
Wrong ! The Format command does not format the drive like a computer would (low-level format), it just erases recorded data already present.

Obviously, no one cares about these machines anymore, with all the newer DVR's, Tivo's and other brands of recorders, but, for a 10 yr old
design, it has a great HD picture and is fairly uncomplicated to use. I definitely got my money's worth when I bought it.....
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page