Questions about Cisco 8742HDC from TWC/LA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 117
A friend lives down south of LA, where TWC has provided a Cisco 8742HDC DVR. She just bought a new 46" Vizio LED HDTV and I'd like to provide some setup assistance, if appropriate. I've never had any experience with this 8742HDC device, and cannot find any online documentation from Cisco or anywhere that provides in-depth information or instructions for setup or customization. So I cannot provide any valid guidance or assistance.

So...

(1) Does anyone have a link to the "User Manual" for the 8742HDC, which provides more insight other than just a "quick setup" or superficial wiring/interconnection pictures?

(2) The Motorola DVR's provide what I call a "hardware setup" dialog, entered by powering off the DVR and then pushing the MENU button. That got into the DVR's setup dialog, allowing such things as audio setup over HDMI, video setup over HDMI, etc. In particular the DVR could be configured to put out HDMI video either as (a) fixed resolution of 1080i or 720p, or (b) "native" resolution.

Is there an equivalent capability for the Cisco 8742HDC? Is "native" an option, or perhaps just always how the device works?

(3) If "native" is a setup option, (a) how do you get into the equivalent setup dialog, since there's no MENU button on the front of the unit, and (b) what is the navigation path to get to that setup option which allows specifying "native"?

If this information is described in some PDF or AVS Forum thread, does anybody have a link to this type of document or information??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Nobody in the whole country who reads this forum has an 8742HDC??

No knowledge or in-depth experience or tips to share?
post #3 of 3 Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Although it's not terribly informative, I did locate a PDF "basic" user manual for the 8742HD on the Cisco site.

According to the instructions at the bottom of page 5:

Set up your set-top for HDTV or SDTV by completing the following steps:
• Make sure the set-top is Off and the TV is On.
• On the front panel of the set-top, press GUIDE and INFO at the same time. This will activate the HD Setup Wizard.
• Follow the on-screen instructions to choose HD or SD mode and wide screen (16:9) or standard screen (4:3) depending upon your TV type. See page 11 for more information on the scan rate.
• At the conclusion of the on-screen instructions, press POWER on the set-top to begin watching TV.

I guess it is this "HD Setup Wizard" which is what I'm looking for, and which will presumably provide the same type of "hardware setup" options I'm accustomed to seeing on Motorola boxes.

Furthermore:

Important Notes Regarding the HDMI Interface on the Set-Top

The HDMI interface automatically configures the audio output for a format supported by the television. Because not all TVs support the Dolby Digital input, the HDMI interface may automatically select a 2-channel stereo audio configuration instead of Dolby Digital, which it carries over to the other digital audio outputs of the set-top. This prevents your home theater system or Dolby Digital decoder from providing the full Dolby Digital surround-sound effect.

You can override this configuration by completing the following steps.
1. Press SETTINGS twice on the remote control to open the General Settings menu.
2. Press MOVE UP or MOVE DOWN to select the option Audio: Digital Out.
3. Press MOVE RIGHT to select Dolby Digital. This setting will send Dolby Digital audio to the HDMI, DIGITAL AUDIO OUT, and OPTICAL AUDIO OUT connectors on the set-top.

So I'm guessing there is this additional HDMI settings path when the DVR is in its normal powered on state. If there is this Audio options ability (by first pressing Settings twice on the remote to open the General Settings menu), I'm guessing there may also be a Video options ability presented on this General Settings menu.

I will talk my friend through both of these paths tomorrow. Could be what I've been looking for.

Too bad the "user guide" manual doesn't actually have pictures or written details about what you will see when you get into both (a) the HD Setup Wizard and (b) the General Settings menu. A picture's worth a thousand words, but in this case either one would have been very informative (and seemingly appropriate for a "user guide" manual).
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page