Products That Would Let Me Record Like Tivo w/ No Monthly Service Fee - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a tv in my bedroom, where I want to record tv shows, but don't want to pay a cable company or tivo a monthly service fee.

Thus, i have gotten an attena, where i get all channels i need , ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC.

The question...... are there any products that would enable me to record and program future recordings for tv shows that reside on those channels?

I thought i had heard of one or two things where you can record to do external hard drives, but dont get how that works.

Anyway. Can someone direct me to somewhere (preferably amazon.. that has a couple items like i'm describing that are the best of the best?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

Here's a Std Def HDD Recorder that does a nice job with antenna.

No Guide like Tivo, just manual timer set with simple menu like VCRs. Can pre-title timers so recorded shows have title name, live index pic, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 370
If you want a full guide, full HD and whole home functionality like a Tivo, look into an HDHomeRun paired with an Xbox 360 or Ceton Echo, or the new model coming out in a few months:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345014

DTVPal is another option. Not sure how viable it is at the moment though. See the recent thread about it in this forum.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 370
TiVo + Lifetime = no monthly fee

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Viable options include the iView 3500 and the Homeworx HW-150 (which are essentially the same hardware released by different companies), the TViX 6620, and the Dish DTVPal. The DTVPal is no longer made, so you'd have to buy one used on eBay. You should read this topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us

which compares the various DVR options currently available.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you want to save and output as HD then I'd also suggest the iView 3500(or similar HomeWorx that I don't have). The 3500 with latest firmware and a USB HDD(start ~$50) would enable you to tune and record in full HD. With the newest remote($10 extra if it doesn't come with it) makes operation much better.
The Magnavox Wajo linked is also nice if your OK with storing and outputting SD, it also has the advantage of being able to burn a DVD if you want to save something.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you want to record from an HDMI source, may be check the product I just reported here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495406/wizarm-dvr-on-indiegogo
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page