How to jump to start or end of recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bot an HD DVR (series 3) off craigslist. It came with the basic remote. I programmed the button (just below fast forward) to skip forward 30 seconds using Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select. The button just below rewind already skips back 9 seconds.The combination of the two work great for skipping commercials. Now I wish to know how to jump to start or end of the buffer. Using fast forward and rewind is tedious. Thanks
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 339
I'm assuming from the content of your post that you are talking about a TiVo.
First press FF or RW then press the skip forward button. This will cause the TiVo to skip ahead or back in 15 min chunks with each button press. It will only take a couple quick clicks to get to either end of the buffer.
paroots likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I'm assuming from the content of your post that you are talking about a TiVo.
First press FF or RW then press the skip forward button. This will cause the TiVo to skip ahead or back in 15 min chunks with each button press. It will only take a couple quick clicks to get to either end of the buffer.
Thanks. Yes, it's a TiVo series 3. I tried what you suggested and it does not have any effect. To be clear I, for example, push the RW button and then the button immediately below it (ie, the skip back button). I have the Basic remote not the Glo remote; could that be the difference or am I not following your instructions correctly?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroots View Post

To be clear I, for example, push the RW button and then the button immediately below it (ie, the skip back button).
Not skip back. Press skip forward. Yes, I know it is not logical.
paroots likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Not skip back. Press skip forward. Yes, I know it is not logical.
Thanks. I got it working. One trick I discovered that I can't do it repeatably; rather I must revert to play mode before doing the next 15 minute jump. Thanks again; I was getting tired of using FF and RW by themselves.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I know some people like the whole skip code(and I don't want to derail the conversation like what happened in the main Tivo thread) but this is one of the reasons I prefer to keep my Tivo stock and not convert the skip button. I very frequently scan a show at full FF(3x) and then use the skip button to jump ahead(rarely backwards) to the next tick mark(15 or 30 minute depending on program length). My scan stays on even after the jump and I wouldn't want it any other way. I do this for very long programs(for example the Today show which is 3hrs long) and I want to find a particular segment. When FF'ing at 3x if I notice a commercial break(or they go to local news) close to the next tick I simply hit skip and it immediately goes to the next tick and keeps on searching. I'm not sure how much time I save doing this but it seems productive and if the Tivo jumped out of the search mode I would not do it since the time having to hit the search button 3 more times would outweigh the time savings of hitting the skip button.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page