New Genie owner: What does the "Share playlist setting do"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday I got the DirecTv Genie system with two clients. I noticed a setting, which I believe was under whole-home called Playlist sharing. You could set it to Yes or No. I thought that setting this to no on a client would prevent any recordings made by that client not be available to other clients, but it didn't work. What I am hoping to do is to be able to have some programs recordings that are only available in the master bedroom, but not be playable or even listed in our daughter's playroom. I don't want her to have to weed through a list of blocked recordings to find her recordings. So, is there a way to hide shows that are parentally blocked on a client?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This setting is for people with seperate DVRs. If you have multiple DVRs like I do then you can set some of them to share their recordings, and some of them not to.

Since you have the Genie and mini-clients this setting will do nothing for you. The mini-clients are just a simple extension of the Genie itself, so you can't hide the Genie's recordings from them. The only thing you can do is use parental controls so she can't watch them.

If you want your daughter to be able to have her own recordings you could get her a HD-DVR for her room and replace the mini-client with the HD-DVR. Or you could put the HD-DVR in your bedroom and tell it not to share it's recordings, then they would only be viewable in your bedroom, but the Genie recordings would be available in all rooms (assuming you set the Genie playlist sharing back to on).