Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

Possibly Funai are (and have been) using TruCrypt, a free. open-source disk encryption software for operating systems, including Linux:

????

And - impossible to break.  Although, I would be surprised if that's what they are using.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

There's also no reason for slncrypto to be included in the list of firmware components if the HDD isn't encrypted.
It is a shame that the couple people who actually have one of these aren't doing the tests to answer these questions. There are free linux FS drivers for Windows and I think someone mentioned that Win-7 is already able to read an attached ExtFS drive.

If you look at the screen shots in post #2 of the file listings on the HDD, none of the files are over 20MB -- and they are all dated 12/31/1969. An HD transport stream from any station other than ABC is 5-7GB/hr. So either he didn't record more than a couple seconds or the true video files are simply not accessible, as suspected.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It is a shame that the couple people who actually have one of these aren't doing the tests to answer these questions. .

I apologise for not being more proactive.  I'm having a health issue with some crazy thing called "Bells Palsey".  Am having sight and balance problems, but the doctor says it should go away in a month or two.  Getting tangled in dusty corners with cables is out for a while.

Haven't even had a chance to really put the machine through it's paces.  Thanks for the info from the rest of the contributors.

ANYthing but Cable!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

It is a shame that the couple people who actually have one of these aren't doing the tests to answer these questions. There are free linux FS drivers for Windows and I think someone mentioned that Win-7 is already able to read an attached ExtFS drive.

If you look at the screen shots in post #2 of the file listings on the HDD, none of the files are over 20MB -- and they are all dated 12/31/1969. An HD transport stream from any station other than ABC is 5-7GB/hr. So either he didn't record more than a couple seconds or the true video files are simply not accessible, as suspected.

The files I recorded were only recordings of very short length periods of time
Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post

Quote:

It is a shame that the couple people who actually have one of these aren't doing the tests to answer these questions. .

I apologise for not being more proactive.  I'm having a health issue with some crazy thing called "Bells Palsey".  Am having sight and balance problems, but the doctor says it should go away in a month or two.  Getting tangled in dusty corners with cables is out for a while.

Haven't even had a chance to really put the machine through it's paces.  Thanks for the info from the rest of the contributors.

Did you think you might have had a stroke, like I did?

You should be OK in a few months, probably more than 1 month though... mine lasted ~4-5 months according to my wife, who never forgets anything! :D 

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 PM

Sure did think I had a stroke.  When the doctor told me my condition was going to go away, I told her I could hug her.

Did find out, playing with the Emerson remote, that the internal timer clock is not reliable on my machine - loses time.

You can choose a clock from any chosen station and lock onto it.  In my area, the station clocks (as indicated on the Homeworx unit) all run within a couple minutes of each other.  I chose the one that ran about a minute fast.

What is it with timer clocks on these PVR's?

ANYthing but Cable!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

None of these DVR manufacturers seems to see a link between having an accurate system clock and the ability to make reliable time-based recordings, which speaks volumes as to the competence of the developers behind these units.
DoctorM likes this.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Sure did think I had a stroke.  When the doctor told me my condition was going to go away, I told her I could hug her.

Did find out, playing with the Emerson remote, that the internal timer clock is not reliable on my machine - loses time.

You can choose a clock from any chosen station and lock onto it.  In my area, the station clocks (as indicated on the Homeworx unit) all run within a couple minutes of each other.  I chose the one that ran about a minute fast.

1. What is the "Emerson" remote?

2. If the clock is on your 5710, try setting Auto Clock OFF and see how it does on its own.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

None of these DVR manufacturers seems to see a link between having an accurate system clock and the ability to make reliable time-based recordings, which speaks volumes as to the competence of the developers behind these units.

TViX? At least one gets the clock right.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

It is not just these units. When a device is designed to have its clock periodically updated by an external time source, as these units are, the designers have no reason to design a robust clock circuit that will hold reasonable accuracy for longer than the refresh period. Of course, if your particular external time source is flaky or just plain wrong, as PSIP often is, that compounds the problem -- but that is not the designers problem. My relatively high-end PC has an absolutely terrible clock circuit that loses 20 sec per day. The Win-7 default is to refresh once weekly so it became readily apparent how far the clock was off. When Windows Media Center is enabled, part of the setup changes the clock refresh rate to daily -- but even that was not good enough so I changed it to every 4 hr starting at 8:00pm so primetime recording had a fresh clock.

The point being that it is inexcusable these days for an Internet connected device that depends on an accurate clock for function to not update its clock from one of the many Internet time servers based on the atomic clock.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Well, that is the deal breaker for me. None of my local stations provide a reliable PSIP time. Yes, I hear the argument that manufacturers expect the clock to be updated with the correct time so they do not include an accurate internal clock. But how much could that cost? I have a clock in the kitchen that uses one AA battery and is at least 30 years old. It remains accurate for the entire period of time between changing it for daylight savings time changes. I suppose I can stop reading this thread now and wait until the Channel Master unit comes out. I wonder what it's fatal flaw will be? I tried the first Channel Master unit DVR and had to send it back due to a "known problem" that one of my local networks broke-up every 31 seconds.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

2. If the clock is on your 5710, try setting Auto Clock OFF and see how it does on its own.

OOPS.  I meant the Philips remote.  I get my no-name electronics mixed up.  I'll run it through it's paces once more.  If this clock problem doesn't have a satisfactory work-around, the machine might have to go back.

Funny, the internal timer on the Magnavox isn't perfect, but I never remember having to tweak it more than twice in a calendar year.

I just think there's a bad component inside the Philips.

New adopters have to expect these things.  But with PVR pickins so slim, I really want a nice VCR equivalent.

I think High Definition video might have been what killed Steve Jobs.

Another question: Why can't those part-time OTA TV station techs set a clock?  Maybe they sync the stations' PSIP clocks with those plastic swap-meet watches they wear.

Sorry.  Those steroids they gave me for the Bells Palsey must be making me cranky...

ANYthing but Cable!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Liked: 10
The remote of my Philips HDR5710/F7 turned on/off power to my Philips DVDR3576H.
There was NO interference with Magnavox DVDRs H2160MW9 or MDR533H.
Changing the new HDR5710 Remote Control Code from "1" to "2" solved the interference with the old Philips DVDR.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

OOPS.  I meant the Philips remote.  I get my no-name electronics mixed up.  I'll run it through it's paces once more.  If this clock problem doesn't have a satisfactory work-around, the machine might have to go back.

Funny, the internal timer on the Magnavox isn't perfect, but I never remember having to tweak it more than twice in a calendar year.

I just think there's a bad component inside the Philips.

New adopters have to expect these things.  But with PVR pickins so slim, I really want a nice VCR equivalent.

I think High Definition video might have been what killed Steve Jobs.

Another question: Why can't those part-time OTA TV station techs set a clock?  Maybe they sync the stations' PSIP clocks with those plastic swap-meet watches they wear.

Sorry.  Those steroids they gave me for the Bells Palsey must be making me cranky...

Please set your Auto Clock off and see what kind of "drift" occurs so we can tell others if that's a good option or not when their stations give bad clock time.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogers20164 View Post

The remote of my Philips HDR5710/F7 turned on/off power to my Philips DVDR3576H.
Changing the new HDR5710 Remote Control Code from "1" to "2" solved the interference with the old Philips DVDR.

That's good to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 PM

According to the manual, if Autoclock is set to off, the DVR will ask to set the clock before allowing the user to program any timed events.

The clock loses a LOT of time.  I think it was off by about 2 hrs after three days or so.  I figured I had set it wrong, so reset it last night.  After about an hour and a half, it was off by a good ten minutes.  It's just goofy.

I'm working some more accurate numbers for you.  However, I'm also trying to program some regular shows to record, so I'm not really willing to let the clock free-run and wind up with a bunch of worthless recordings.  I need to give the machine some regular use in order to evaluate it further.

Meanwhile, my Iview STB II is giving me fits, so I'm trying different firmwares.

ANYthing but Cable!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

According to the manual, if Autoclock is set to off, the DVR will ask to set the clock before allowing the user to program any timed events.

The clock loses a LOT of time.  I think it was off by about 2 hrs after three days or so.  I figured I had set it wrong, so reset it last night.  After about an hour and a half, it was off by a good ten minutes.  It's just goofy.

I'm working some more accurate numbers for you.  However, I'm also trying to program some regular shows to record, so I'm not really willing to let the clock free-run and wind up with a bunch of worthless recordings.  I need to give the machine some regular use in order to evaluate it further.

Meanwhile, my Iview STB II is giving me fits, so I'm trying different firmwares.

That's just a "generic" note that should elicit a "duh!" response.

Under that are two clock setting methods: Manual and Auto. Try the Manual method so we can see how it works on its own.

Anyone else with this unit could also help in that regard.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I used the Philips HDR5710 YouTube app "Pair Device" feature. It provided a 9 digit code to enter the website youtube.com/pair. In a PC browser I entered the code. Selecting videos to display on the Philips worked very well.

Again, thanks very much for sharing your actual experience with this feature.

I'm pretty sure people will welcome all actual experience you want to share! :)

Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgpan View Post

Hi guys,
like a few others, i have ordered the philips hdr5710 from best buy.
Presently On back order.
Thats fine.

Can someone who has a unit at home please comment on the internet services?
Specifically the NET TV functions.
This is a Philips app.

Also, any other internet functions to mention?

Thanks
Michael

I used the Philips HDR5710 YouTube app "Pair Device" feature. It provided a 9 digit code to enter the website youtube.com/pair. In a PC browser I entered the code. Selecting videos to display on the Philips worked very well.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:

,,,,,,,,,,,What is it with timer clocks on these PVR's?

The clock accuracy in these Funai units has been a problem, documented in these forums, since 2007,

Most power companies inject a Time Synchronization Pulse into their power lines for automation timing purposes. They've been doing this for over 100 years. These timing pulses were used to keep synchronous motors in electric clocks accurate and similar pulses turn on and off electric water heaters during early AM hours, when overall electrical usage and rates are low. Same during daylight hours to avoid "brown-outs" when electric usage reaches a critical peak.

Why doesn't Funai utilize this source to keep their clock function accurate? (Your guess is as good as mine.)

As for the quartz electric timing system used in these Funai units...................... Well, I have several (quartz electric) wrist watches which are extremely accurate. When compared to internet atomic clock time, they are accurate to within ±2 seconds between Standard & Daylight Saving time, when a manual time reset is required.. Those watches cost between $5.00-$10.00 at retail (Walmart). The watches are made in China, but have quartz electric movements Made in Japan.

Moral of this tantrum.......Funai have inexpensive options to design/build accurate timing circuits. Cost should not be a major problem. They apparently just don't think it's important.

confused.gif
ClearToLand likes this.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

TViX? At least one gets the clock right.

When I say "these" DVRs, I mean the ones I don't have. biggrin.gif The TViX has a perfect clock thanks to NTP, which was one of the reasons I chose it over the others. Without NTP, it's also an order of magnitude more accurate than the DTVPal, which is pretty good, too.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:36 PM

In "manual" the clock goes nuts.

In "auto" -using the time on my PBS station, it's OK.  Yes -- PBS!!!

ANYthing but Cable!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

In "auto" -using the time on my PBS station, it's OK.  Yes -- PBS!!!

Leave the unit on manual clock, shut down for a short time, and start up again, check to make sure it's still on manual... any change?

Crappy PBS might be better in the HD world!

Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Leave the unit on manual clock, shut down for a short time, and start up again, check to make sure it's still on manual... any change?

Crappy PBS might be better in the HD world!

Would this indicate that these new models don't set at just 12:00?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

By "nuts", do you mean what you wrote previously"
Quote:
The clock loses a LOT of time. I think it was off by about 2 hrs after three days or so. I figured I had set it wrong, so reset it last night. After about an hour and a half, it was off by a good ten minutes. It's just goofy.
or is it something else.

- kelson h

Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

This leads me to believe that if the Magnavox version of this thing ever materializes the remote 1 control code will be the same as the 2160 through 537 sd recorders.
Quote:

Why can't those part-time OTA TV station techs set a clock? Maybe they sync the stations' PSIP clocks with those plastic swap-meet watches they wear.

Some can. I had two stations with bad clocks. I emailed engineers at both and politely mentioned that their clocks were wrong and it caused me problems because of DVR's that used PSIP for their time. One station engineer promptly replied that their PSIP generator has lost it's connection to the time server, corrected the problem and it's been solid since. The other engineer said the same thing about losing the time server and reset it but the station still loses time. Every once and a while they correct the clock but I can't rely on it.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

It is not just these units. When a device is designed to have its clock periodically updated by an external time source, as these units are, the designers have no reason to design a robust clock circuit that will hold reasonable accuracy for longer than the refresh period. Of course, if your particular external time source is flaky or just plain wrong, as PSIP often is, that compounds the problem -- but that is not the designers problem. My relatively high-end PC has an absolutely terrible clock circuit that loses 20 sec per day. The Win-7 default is to refresh once weekly so it became readily apparent how far the clock was off. When Windows Media Center is enabled, part of the setup changes the clock refresh rate to daily -- but even that was not good enough so I changed it to every 4 hr starting at 8:00pm so primetime recording had a fresh clock.

The point being that it is inexcusable these days for an Internet connected device that depends on an accurate clock for function to not update its clock from one of the many Internet time servers based on the atomic clock.
You should check out ClockMon for your PC. It's free: http://home.sprintmail.com/~dtrout/ClockMon.html

--
(this space for rent)
Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 PM

Maybe some stations are using those cheap plastic swap-meet time servers.  Or just plain don't give a rip.

ANYthing but Cable!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

You should check out ClockMon for your PC. It's free: http://home.sprintmail.com/~dtrout/ClockMon.html
Your link appears to be bad.

My clock set every 4 hr so it is never more than a couple seconds off.

- kelson h

Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 PM

During playback on older Philips and Magnavox DVDRs, the user can press the Info or Display button to see the hour, minute, and seconds position within the recording. The user can then go directly to any hour, minute, and second. Cannot find this function on the Philips HDR5710. Am I missing something?

During playback of my first 2 hour timer recording, the HDR5710 by ITSELF skipped forward nearly an hour. I wanted to go back to the problem location quickly to see if the faulty skip repeated.

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black