Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 619 Old 12-23-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"lua-sincrypto"
???
confused.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 619 Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 293
It looks like an "I", but it's actually an "L". wink.gif The lua-slncrypto package is seemingly abandoned encryption software.
post #363 of 619 Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

In regard to the Philips units, somewhere in the manual it states that as part of the process to register an external drive, the system would erase everything on the drive, which probably means that it would be formatted. I don't think anyone would need to know anything about ext formatting in order to be able to record or play from the external drive using the Philips system itself.

Once again, we don't know for sure whether they Japanesed this by using the work "Registration" (which they've also used for adding titles to a Dub menu), but they also say "Initialization" in the next sentence, as shown here:

If this means the same as the HDD DVDR "Initialization," that could mean that any NEW external drive has to be initialized (ID'd as compatible with the OS) for first use, after which drives can be interchanged at will between machines of the same brand/type, like they can with the current HDD DVDRs... they have the needed ID code for that or any other machine of the same type with same OS.

Since you can obviously "register/initialize" a new HDD, record to it, then replace it with another new registered HDD, then back again up to #8, etc., their "registration" is definitely a ONE- TIME thing, which makes the process exactly like their HDD DVDR Initialization (ID) process for new drives only.

And the number 8 could easily be just how many they want their OS to keep track of... since they each can hold 2000 titles!... and they can be de-registered, so you could probably put one drive away and slip in another one in its slot, except you'd have to register/initialize it for first use in the other drive's slot?

Lots of interesting but totally UNKNOWN stuff at this point... at least to an unbiased observer.

However, if things go as they have so far, we may NEVER get anyone to connect an external HDD much less buy TWO recorders and TWO external HDDs to find out what's true and what's not!

People who dearly want these machines to not have an HDD interchange feature can keep interpreting "Registration" their way, but I'll keep hoping it's my way until proven otherwise. The worst that can happen is that one machine will have ONLY 8 external HDDs available to it. The people I deal with here on a daily basis will find even that quite acceptable.

post #364 of 619 Old 12-23-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Someone already posted being able to see the TS files on a PC but being unable to play them, which is proof enough for me. Being able to see the recordings at all demonstrates that he had the proper filesystem drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

6. NO ONE HAS ATTACHED AN EXTERNAL HDD TO ONE OF THE PHILIPS UNITS.

Here is "User 1" quote from post #2:
Quote:
Took my ext usb-hdd to linux machine.

How does one not interpret that as having attached an external USB HDD to the Philips?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #365 of 619 Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Here is "User 1" quote from post #2:
Quote:
Took my ext usb-hdd to linux machine.

How does one not interpret that as having attached an external USB HDD to the Philips?

That post is unfortunately too vague to make a determination. His use of "ext" could refer to the drive's location, or it could refer to the drive's filesystem (ext2/ext3). There's no way to know.
Quote:

People who dearly want these machines to not have an HDD interchange feature can keep interpreting "Registration" their way, but I'll keep hoping it's my way until proven otherwise.

Nobody (?) wants the drives to be encrypted, so please don't misrepresent other people's positions.
post #366 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That post is unfortunately too vague to make a determination. His use of "ext" could refer to the drive's location, or it could refer to the drive's filesystem (ext2/ext3). There's no way to know.
First of all, I don't think it is vague at all when the phrase "ext usb-hdd" is taken as a whole.

But second, even if you have issue with the interpretation of "ext", does the last part -- "USB-HDD" in any way imply to you he is talking about an internal SATA HDD?

Anyway, it is irrelevant and we can dispense with the spin-doctoring by going direct to the source. "User#1" is obviously mwg1 who bugged out of this thread 12/11, the same as "User#2".
Here is User#1's very first post in this thread from a month ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg1 View Post

I bought Philips HDR5710/F7 at Bestbuy.com. I registered an external usb hard drive, recorded to it and was able to copy/move what I recorded back and forth to the units internal hard drive. When I connected the same external usb hard drive to my computer (windows 7 64-bit), it does not recognize the drive.

I think we can dispense with the notion that no one has attached an external USB HDD to the 5710.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #367 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

hello,

I have received the philips 5710 purchased from amazon for about ~$200.

I have used it for about a week and would like to post my opinion.

I have been following this thread from the first few postings and it have proven to be very helpful.

Thanks to all the contributions.

Although some have posted problems or issues, i have experienced no issues what so ever.

My wife navigates the menus and records her shows with ease...  and thats a good thing.

4 STAR RATING       X X X X

My observations...

- i am connected to antenna and the tuner reception is excellent. i have about 50 channels. Similar to my other TVs in the house.

- i also can switch to a cable connection (that i use for internet) and it picks up the backdoor channels quite well. analog and digital. This is nice as i watch TSN sports for free.

- my display is a 1080p samsung and the picture quality is top notch thru the dvr tuner or the recorded output. EXCELLENT!

- the dolby digital audio is also excellent.

- Video and Audio quality excellent ? isnt that what is most important ????  

- the remote could be a bit bigger ,  but its ok.

- very easy to navigate thru the menus. Installations was a breeze. 

- i connected thru wi-fi for internet. No connection issues using a secure WPS.

- my kids use netflix and youtube,,,, but im hoping for updates to add more apps.

- its a small box and fits EASILY in my AV cabinet

- i have not connected a external HDD and may not do so unless a person figures out how to read/play the disk files off line.

- clock settings have been set to a local reliable digital channel and all ok ever since.

- aspect ratio is fine on all OTA channels. But, once i switch to cable it needs adjustment.

- the 500gb disk will never fill in my home unless we go away for a month.

- quiet and low energy use  

- video ouput or signal switching manners on this unit are smooth and not erratic as with some other devices i have seen.

- no HDMI issues

- i had to switch the audio setting to PCM as my TV did not provide sound at first. OK now.

- software auto update went smoothly once internet was connected

Overall,,, i am happy with the unit. Not saying there couldn't be more to offer.

I record what and when i want and ...No subscription needed.

I wish....

it played from a usb stick without the protections and HDD formatting.

Maybe play photos or avi video ?

It would be nice if more network features were present to access my photos or video from my home network ?

Has someone tried to access thru network ??

I have read about the Iview and the price comparison for 200$ is very close.

The philips 5710 does what it claims.

thanks

michael

videobruce and wajo like this.
post #368 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

First of all, I don't think it is vague at all when the phrase "ext usb-hdd" is taken as a whole.

But second, even if you have issue with the interpretation of "ext", does the last part -- "USB-HDD" in any way imply to you he is talking about an internal SATA HDD?

Anyway, it is irrelevant and we can dispense with the spin-doctoring by going direct to the source. "User#1" is obviously mwg1 who bugged out of this thread 12/11, the same as "User#2".
Here is User#1's very first post in this thread from a month ago:
I think we can dispense with the notion that no one has attached an external USB HDD to the 5710.

I have not bugged out but just watching responses in here. I Have hooked it up to an external USB-HDD (Western Digital model WD1200B015-RNN) and have reported my findings. I do not know right now what more info you want
post #369 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg1 View Post

I Have hooked it up to an external USB-HDD (Western Digital model WD1200B015-RNN) and have reported my findings. I do not know right now what more info you want
I know you reported your findings. I was just reminding others who may have forgotten them.

- kelson h

post #370 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgpan View Post

hello,

I have received the philips 5710 purchased from amazon for about ~$200.

I have used it for about a week and would like to post my opinion.

I have been following this thread from the first few postings and it have proven to be very helpful.

Thanks to all the contributions.

Although some have posted problems or issues, i have experienced no issues what so ever.

My wife navigates the menus and records her shows with ease...  and thats a good thing.

4 STAR RATING       X X X X

My observations...

- i am connected to antenna and the tuner reception is excellent. i have about 50 channels. Similar to my other TVs in the house.

- i also can switch to a cable connection (that i use for internet) and it picks up the backdoor channels quite well. analog and digital. This is nice as i watch TSN sports for free.

- my display is a 1080p samsung and the picture quality is top notch thru the dvr tuner or the recorded output. EXCELLENT!

- the dolby digital audio is also excellent.

- Video and Audio quality excellent ? isnt that what is most important ????  

- the remote could be a bit bigger ,  but its ok.

- very easy to navigate thru the menus. Installations was a breeze. 

- i connected thru wi-fi for internet. No connection issues using a secure WPS.

- my kids use netflix and youtube,,,, but im hoping for updates to add more apps.

- its a small box and fits EASILY in my AV cabinet

- i have not connected a external HDD and may not do so unless a person figures out how to read/play the disk files off line.

- clock settings have been set to a local reliable digital channel and all ok ever since.

- aspect ratio is fine on all OTA channels. But, once i switch to cable it needs adjustment.

- the 500gb disk will never fill in my home unless we go away for a month.

- quiet and low energy use  

- video input or signal switching manners on this unit are smooth and not erratic as with some other devices i have seen.

- no HDMI issues

- i had to switch the audio setting to PCM as my TV did not provide sound at first. OK now.

- software auto update went smoothly once internet was connected

Overall,,, i am happy with the unit. Not saying there couldn't be more to offer.

I record what and when i want and ...No subscription needed.

I wish....

it played from a usb stick without the protections and HDD formatting.

Maybe play photos or avi video ?

It would be nice if more network features were present to access my photos or video from my home network ?

Has someone tried to access thru network ??

I have read about the Iview and the price comparison for 200$ is very close.

The philips 5710 does what it claims.

thanks

michael

Thanks for this review!

I'm glad you've had a positive experience. I hope it continues that way. :D

post #371 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My observations...

I'm intrigued by the last sentence where you say you can "switch" to cable. Do you have to rescan channels with the "Cable" option, then rescan when you want to return to "Antenna" channels?

post #372 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Hi,

I have 2 antennas and also a coaxial cable that is used for internet.
These 3 options pass thru a abc selector box.

Used Without a cable tv box.
Unfortunately the cable company cannot filter out the basic tv stations on the coaxial cable.
The quality is mostly 480p.Some 720p.
About 50 digital channels..... But i use it mostly for tsn or news.

My entire homes tv signal is controlled by this selector box.
My TV easily switches from cable to antenna without reprogramming.
Unfortunately the 5710 wants to rescan for new channels when i switch.
My dvr will probably stay on antenna 99%of the time.

Mike
post #373 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

Is there anybody that bought the Philips that is happy with it? Would you recommend it to a friend?

I like it, but wouldn't recommend it,  Not because the unit's bad, but because it's beyond the functionality of your typical potential user.  People want to sit and pay forty-five dollars a month to mindlessly click through cable channels, and most of them already have precisely what they need to do that.  I like to pick and choose, don't mind setting timers, and can deal with occasional design flaws.

It takes a bit of effort to set up and use one of these machines.  Most people are just too lazy.  Let 'em eat Tivo.

videobruce likes this.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #374 of 619 Old 12-24-2013, 11:10 PM

Liked: 13

Michgpan:

My findings align with yours, except I have a Roku for online content.  Received a 1TB HDD today, and once I test it out on my Homeworx unit, I intend to connect it to the Philips machine for the sole purpose of (gasp!) adding storage space.  But the drive will probably get repurposed eventuallly.  I watch and delete.  For that purpose, the machine is A-OK.  Eventually somebody will figure out the file system.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #375 of 619 Old 12-25-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

I'm intrigued by the last sentence where you say you can "switch" to cable. Do you have to rescan channels with the "Cable" option, then rescan when you want to return to "Antenna" channels?

I was betting the unit was receiving only 2 through 13 in analog. Seems the channel table built by the 5710 is not like earlier models, which is logical with the different type of tuner.

I've been wondering why Walmart hasn't started selling the TB745H yet. Any ideas?

post #376 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Hi,

I have watched several movies and many sports programs with this unit.
I wish i could quantify the quality of the video.
Both dvr tuner and recorded output is incredibly good.

For mpeg 2 the unit shows good frame rates... Especially during my hockey games.
Its much better than my previous rented dvr.
1080i Rapid Motion segments of a program are delivered nicely.
I wasn't expecting this.

5.1 Digital sound has been flawless thru my receiver.

Michael
post #377 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

I have watched several movies and many sports programs with this unit.
I wish i could quantify the quality of the video.
Both dvr tuner and recorded output is incredibly good.

For mpeg 2 the unit shows good frame rates... Especially during my hockey games.
Its much better than my previous rented dvr.
1080p Rapid Motion segments of a program are delivered nicely.
I wasn't expecting this.

7.1 Digital sound has been flawless thru my receiver.

Michael

That's great! Where do you get your content?

post #378 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither 1080p nor 7.1 audio are available from HDTV, so I sense some innaccuracy in his review.
plplplpl likes this.
post #379 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Neither 1080p nor 7.1 audio are available from HDTV, so I sense some innaccuracy in his review.

thanks for catching that.
I have corrected the posting.

Michael
post #380 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Liked: 10

I just bought one of these for a family member for Christmas and I'm trying to help them get it set up, but it's not finding some of the channels.

As an example, when I watch TV through the cable box from the cable company (Mediacom), channel 835 is "TNTHD". Through the DVR, I only have access to TNT on 53-9, which is standard definition.

This is the first time I've had any sort of DVR or anything so maybe there's a really obvious solution, but I looked around in this forum and in the settings and couldn't find anything.

Any advice? Thanks!

EDIT: Is this possibly what is considered "scrambled channels"? (Read about here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/16560#post_21142278) If so, is there a way to verify that that's what the problem is? And then I assume that the only things that I can do are approximately what's listed in that thread.

EDIT 2: I found this channel lineup for my area: http://mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lineup/456/chanhassen_deephaven_excelsior_greenwood_hambu.aspx

The ones that work are the ones that say they require "a digital-ready TV, a Mediacom digital converter or a Mediacom digital adapter." The ones that don't work are the ones that say they require "a Mediacom digital converter, a Mediacom digital adapter or cable card."

post #381 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarn View Post

I just bought one of these for a family member for Christmas and I'm trying to help them get it set up, but it's not finding some of the channels.

As an example, when I watch TV through the cable box from the cable company (Mediacom), channel 835 is "TNTHD". Through the DVR, I only have access to TNT on 53-9, which is standard definition.

This is the first time I've had any sort of DVR or anything so maybe there's a really obvious solution, but I looked around in this forum and in the settings and couldn't find anything.

Any advice? Thanks!

EDIT: Is this possibly what is considered "scrambled channels"? (Read about here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/16560#post_21142278) If so, is there a way to verify that that's what the problem is? And then I assume that the only things that I can do are approximately what's listed in that thread.

EDIT 2: I found this channel lineup for my area: http://mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lineup/456/chanhassen_deephaven_excelsior_greenwood_hambu.aspx

The ones that work are the ones that say they require "a digital-ready TV, a Mediacom digital converter or a Mediacom digital adapter." The ones that don't work are the ones that say they require "a Mediacom digital converter, a Mediacom digital adapter or cable card."

I think you found your answer!

In the first  case, the cableco is saying that an HDTV with digital tuner can tune those channels (so the Philips DVR can do the same), but in the second case, those channels are scrambled and require one of their boxes or a cable card to tune.

post #382 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Be advised that your cable company has the legal right to scramble your other channels at any time, so you could lose the ability to tune those with the DVR, too. That's not to say it will happen, but it's likely, as most cable companies are moving to encrypt everything to force subscribers to pay for more cable boxes and DVR rentals.
post #383 of 619 Old 12-28-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As has been pointed out, the second group of channels you are paying for are encrypted and require either cable company equipment to view them or 3rd party equipment that supports a cable card (rented from your cable company). If you want a 3rd party HD-DVR that lets you view/record the full lineup of cable channels you are paying for, you need one that supports cable card - your choices are narrow and this unit is not one of them. TiVo Roamio is the only stand-alone box that supports cable card. TiVo is at the high-end of the DVR spectrum in terms of features and capabilities (i.e.cable card) and is priced accordingly. Your other choice for a cable card supporting "DVR" would be a HTPC using either a Silicone Dust HDHR Prime or a Ceton cable card tuner PC card and Windows Media Center.

As also has been pointed out, any cable company can encrypt all their channels at any time which would render this unit a brick for cable usage. Even if you are willing to accept that this device will only support a small subset of the channels you pay for, it would be prudent for you to contact your cable company and try to ascertain their intentions regarding future encryption of the channels they currently supply in the clear.

- kelson h

post #384 of 619 Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's easy to tell what is clear and what is scrambled if you have an HDTV. Run an rf cable from the wall directly to your TV and rescan for channels. You seem to still have some analog channels. You may have noticed that all channels with even numbers require some kind of decoding device, like a cable card. Clear QAM channels will have a decimal point (or dash on the document) and may be the actual cable physical channel or a physical channel with a PSIP that moves it. WCCO would be an example. It transmits OTA on channel 32, the analog cable feed is shown as 4, and digital cable feed is shown as 4-1 so PSIP is passed to you, and 804 if you rent equipment. See what the TV finds. It could be anywhere. If you knew the frequency of 4-1 we could find the QAM channel.

Of course, this can change tomorrow. First to go will be the analog. Then you should get a letter. If you had Comcast all the digital channels would be scrambled in your area.

post #385 of 619 Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 PM

Believe it or not, I've read through this whole thread, and I have one question and one question only (I did not see it addressed), but what I would like to know is, can I take the Cable out to TV (75ohm) from my cable box, and record whatever I have the cable box tuned too?

I've given up looking for a DVR that has an HDMI or RGB component in that could take the same output from my cable box and record that, so even if I could just get SD from the same cable box it would Suffice.

Problem here is, I want to record a cable TV show on my cable box without having to get a cable company box with a DVR, or ask for a card for a DVR that would take one.
post #386 of 619 Old 12-29-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84

While this DVR will tune analog channels(like from your STBs RF output) it cannot record them. If your OK with SD(modulated channel 3 is only SD) then a Magnavox DVDR w/HDD will do what you want. Check out Wajos(OP of this thread) signature thread on the Magnavox DVDRs. The Magnavox DVDRs have the advantage if you want to archive what you've recorded it has a built in DVD burner, if you don't ever care to archive then just use it's built in HDD like a DVR.

post #387 of 619 Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Strange, in my area, we have no analog channels via cable, none OTA either. So, I gather that what you mean is that the cable box outputs analog through it's (Out to TV) 75ohm connector?
post #388 of 619 Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeejo View Post

Believe it or not, I've read through this whole thread, and I have one question and one question only (I did not see it addressed), but what I would like to know is, can I take the Cable out to TV (75ohm) from my cable box, and record whatever I have the cable box tuned too?

I've given up looking for a DVR that has an HDMI or RGB component in that could take the same output from my cable box and record that, so even if I could just get SD from the same cable box it would Suffice.

Problem here is, I want to record a cable TV show on my cable box without having to get a cable company box with a DVR, or ask for a card for a DVR that would take one.

Take the RF out from your cable box and connect it to your TV. If you see the TV's channel 3 with video, then you can feed it to the Magnavox. It's probably analog not SD.

post #389 of 619 Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeejo View Post

Strange, in my area, we have no analog channels via cable, none OTA either. So, I gather that what you mean is that the cable box outputs analog through it's (Out to TV) 75ohm connector?

The purpose of having RF out on a cable box is to convert the digital channels to NTSC so that a TV with no composite/S-Video/component/HDMI connectors can still use it.
post #390 of 619 Old 12-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Right, that makes sense.

So apparently, any newer DVR's will not have the same capabilities as the older Magnavox DVR's (older than the Magnavox TB745H/F7 or Philips HDR5710/F7 ), so then, what is it that comes out of the 75ohm TV out of the Magnavox TB745H/F7 or Philips HDR5710/F7 ?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page