Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 637 Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Still here.

Still $99.99 at NFM.
Yes, but no promotional pages, only service?

Thank you!

5710 at Philips.

5750 at Philips.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 637 Old 05-23-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Thanks wajo!

I gave up on the path when there was nothing related to dvrs in "Sound and Vision."
post #573 of 637 Old 05-25-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

:D

5710 for $99.99 at NFM!

:D

Thanks for the heads-up. At that price I ordered 1 and set it up yesterday. Initial impressions are that it has a good tuner but was suprised it has no signal strength indication. I have it set to manual clock setting and set a timer for 7:59pm - 10:01pm today (Sunday) for Believe and Crisis on NBC. The lack of a guide is of less importance than its ability to record the programs at the times I have it set for. (I can live with a digital vcr vs a dvr that craps out with a PSIP glitch) I have had problems with my EPvision and Homeworx choking on a CW station so I will set that in timer recording too to see what happens.

My best friend is my PAL
post #574 of 637 Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post
Quote:

5710 for $99.99 at NFM!

Thanks for the heads-up. At that price I ordered 1 and set it up yesterday. Initial impressions are that it has a good tuner but was suprised it has no signal strength indication. I have it set to manual clock setting and set a timer for 7:59pm - 10:01pm today (Sunday) for Believe and Crisis on NBC. The lack of a guide is of less importance than its ability to record the programs at the times I have it set for. (I can live with a digital vcr vs a dvr that craps out with a PSIP glitch) I have had problems with my EPvision and Homeworx choking on a CW station so I will set that in timer recording too to see what happens.

I'll be interested to hear if your 7:59-10:01pm recording got the "Believe" show name since that relies on info in the broadcast of that show... starting early will likely pick up the name of the previous show or some other nondescript name. Also, if you're OTA, the 5710 will be able to record CW since all channels are digital but, if like me, you're on analog cable and CW is analog, the 5710 will display the channel but not record from it.

I'm testing now to see what's the best way to assure getting show titles (manual clock vs Auto Clock, manual clock set late, timer set late with various clock settings/times, etc..).

Help files with more details are here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #575 of 637 Old 05-26-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I'm testing now to see what's the best way to assure getting show titles (manual clock vs Auto Clock, manual clock set late, timer set late with various clock settings/times, etc..).

In the short time I owned a 5710 I had one timer recording that started just seconds early and it picked up the previous shows name. I suspect the only way to assure the proper name being picked up is to start the recording late and miss the start of the show.

Another thing I wonder about is if the stations PSIP clock is off will the name change for the current program be off as well. The stations in my market seem to have a terrible problem keeping their clocks set correctly.

Funai needs to make a change in the firmware to have the unit set the program name maybe 10 minutes after the recording starts so you can pad the start time.
post #576 of 637 Old 05-26-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Has it been definitely determined there is no signal strength meter hidden in a sub menu somewhere? And is the tuner otherwise decent or similar to a Samsung or LG TV?
post #577 of 637 Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't have a Samsung or LG TV but tuner is as good or better than my 3 Vizio LCDs of diff. mfg dates on my cable and OTA antenna.

No SS meter anywhere. Closest it has for tuning "assistance" is a "Weak Channel Installation" option... maybe like a Manual channel tuning option after an auto-scan? I think this might be usable by people who have rotating antennas to add channel(s) in different directions? See below:

post #578 of 637 Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 PM

Liked: 13

Mine's been working steadily for five months.  The only glitch is a split-second dropout shortly after a timed recording begins.  No big deal.

I have no desire to offload/save recordings.

The wrong title bug is annoying, but understandable.  It's an offshore world, after all.

A hundred bucks for a spare unit w/free shipping and no tax?  Heck YEAH, I ordered one.

Note:  Jimmy Kimmel's program is apparently somehow disabling the "skip" function.  Can still FF through commercials, but it's a pain.  Didn't even know that was possible, and that show has a LOT of commercials! I hate the ABC news, most of their programs, and Disney in general just chafes my nipples!

ANYthing but Cable!
post #579 of 637 Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Does it happen on every episode or on any other ABC programs? I could try recording it once to see if I have any problems on my DVR. There is no way I know of for a program to disable the skip function; your ABC station may just be doing something strange that triggers a bug in the Philips unit.
post #580 of 637 Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Turned out the skip button dysfunction only happened during one episode.  However, when I pushed Skip, a nicely positioned circle-slash icon appeared to the right of the skip arrow display.  Sure appeared to be a built-in function.  Tried it many times, throughout the show, carefully choosing the proper button.  Just wouldn't let Skip work.

Doesn't change my general opinion of ABC, though.

Still, for whatever few OTA shows I watch, (I'm a Matricom XBMC user), the picture and reliability of the unit has been quite good.  Beats the Iview in dependability by a mile for weekly recordings. Glad to have a spare unit coming for such a low price.  I expect these units will be orphans.  Not anticipating any firmware updates.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #581 of 637 Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My 5710's Skip/Replay function can accumulate 10 moves if I don't delay button presses. If I get too close to the end, it gives me the "no-can-do" icon and doesn't move.

Also, my FF function can accumulate 5 speed levels, but I have to press FF 2X to get to the 1st speed... REW is OK.

I documented some of my observations here for anyone who might be interested..

post #582 of 637 Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
10 moves if I don't delay button presses

Use it all the time.  Holding down the button works, too.  But ya gotta watch out, or it'll overshoot the target.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #583 of 637 Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18

So I used my unit for the last week, making a recording every day at different times and different stations. I started each a minute early and ended 2 minutes late which is how my DTVPal is set. All recordings had the previous show as the title as was expected. All recorded and played back properly as expected. (of course I expected this of my Homeworx 150 and PHD-VRX but those are both a little flaky) The skip forward/ backward buttons take some getting used to, you must press the number of times to skip rather quickly or wait for the skip to end and then skip again. The wireless found and I (manually) connected to my network with no problem. I dont have Netflix or Vudu, and didnt try Youtube so I cant say how well it actually works.I have it set for manual clock and Im on a UPS, so far no time issue. At $250, no way would I buy it, but I think it was well worth the $100 it cost. The only odd thing is one of my remotes will cause the unit to show the "remote mismatch" flashing LED sequence but didnt seem to cause any issue with the recording.

My best friend is my PAL
post #584 of 637 Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

New users:

If a user doesn't wait for the 1st SKIP or REPLAY move and either keeps pressing immediately, one at a time, or holds the button down, he/she can accumulate up to 10 moves each way, as described here.

Just above that is some info on remote control codes.

post #585 of 637 Old 06-01-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Easily worth $99!! My homeworx/iview wouldn't work with my ClearQAM cable, but the philips works perfectly. Never had any issues with recordings or the clock in well over 2 months.
post #586 of 637 Old 06-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Channel selection quirk

Got the unit from NFM. Thanks for the sale heads up! I set the unit up today with bare bones settings no wi-fi etc. to test it out and still haven't finished. I ran across a roadblock right off and was ready to return the unit when Philips tech help didn't have an answer. For the life of me I couldn't pick up the local SF Bay Area PBS station and subs, even after manually trying to enter it. They were working fine OTA via TV and Magnavox 535 and the transmitter tower is less than 10 miles away. I was using the virtual channels as I always have on every other device. Then it occurred to me that maybe I should try the transmitter channels, which is where they were! None of the other major networks show up on the transmitter channel but on the virtual channel. Wierd. Guess I'll keep it after all.
post #587 of 637 Old 06-14-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

What is the call sign for that PBS station?

post #588 of 637 Old 06-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
what is the call sign for that pbs station?
kqed
post #589 of 637 Old 06-14-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog4 View Post
Quote:
what is the call sign for that pbs station?
kqed
Several other OTA users of these units have had to find physical channel numbers rather than "advertised" virtual channel numbers.

New users can find a station's channel locations using call signs and Wikipedia... use this page and enter the call sign for any channels that might be "missing" after your channel scan.

You can enter single channels using the Philips' Installation > Weak Channel Installation menu.

Last edited by wajo; 06-14-2014 at 06:43 PM.
post #590 of 637 Old 06-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Returning it

With further testing of the unit I've decided to return it. I don't like all the letter boxing which I can't overcome on my LG set even with zoom. Full letter boxing all sides, included everything from teeny tiny square and I mean tiny, to 16:9, depending on the station. I bought an HD set to see big not some little box in the middle of the screen. I'll stick to my Magnavox where I don't have that problem.
post #591 of 637 Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
With further testing of the unit I've decided to return it. I don't like all the letter boxing which I can't overcome on my LG set even with zoom. Full letter boxing all sides, included everything from teeny tiny square and I mean tiny, to 16:9, depending on the station. I bought an HD set to see big not some little box in the middle of the screen. I'll stick to my Magnavox where I don't have that problem.
Have you tried changing the Audio/Video > TV Aspect and HDMI > HDMI Video Resolution settings?

The Audio/Video > TV Aspect and HDMI > HDMI Video Resolution settings may not be right for your system and channels.

With my 16:9 HDTV and analog cable, I've got my TV Aspect set for 16:9 Squeeze and my HDMI Res for 1080p.

post #592 of 637 Old 06-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Yes I tried various combinations of aspect ratio and HDMI resolution. It's OTA.

Last edited by BirdDog4; 06-15-2014 at 04:23 PM.
post #593 of 637 Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

And your TV is set on a "16:9" or "Wide" setting.

post #594 of 637 Old 06-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Yes although I cycled through all when trying to improve the size
post #595 of 637 Old 06-16-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Yes although I cycled through all when trying to improve the size
I should have asked what type of connection between DVR and TV... I've been ass-u-ming HDMI.

If HDMI, then you've apparently tried everything, and if NONE of the DVR or TV settings changed things, something's broke!

post #596 of 637 Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I should have asked what type of connection between DVR and TV... I've been ass-u-ming HDMI.

If HDMI, then you've apparently tried everything, and if NONE of the DVR or TV settings changed things, something's broke!
Yes HDMI. I should of mentioned the HD stations appeared like they should of but the others were teeny square or oblong boxes.
post #597 of 637 Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 449
It's quite common for SD stations to broadcast 16:9 content inside a 4:3 frame (windowboxed), and if a station does that, the only way to make the image fill the screen is to use the zoom function on your TV.
post #598 of 637 Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM

As I said the tv zoom function has no effect on this devices picture.
post #599 of 637 Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
As I said the tv zoom function has no effect on this devices picture.
Switch HDMI cables... connect the known-good Mag DVDR HDMI cable to the DVR output... same TV input, only change the device end to the DVR HDMI output

Last edited by wajo; 06-17-2014 at 09:29 AM.
post #600 of 637 Old 06-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is anybody else having problems with their Philips 5750 locking up when <<. It only seems to happen on a couple of shows on NBC ("The Blacklist" and "Crisis"). It makes me wonder if there is something about how those shows are segmented with respect to programming parcels and advertisements.

Mine will completely freeze and not allow me to use any of the >>, <<, pause, stop, play, next track or previous track functions. All I can do is hit the "title list" button and start playing from the beginning. At which point I can use the "next track" option to get me close to where I got frozen. But I do not dare to try to back up if I go too far.

Is there something wrong with my unit or is it something to do with the broadcast? Any firmware updates?
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread