Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 611 Old 06-18-2014, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anybody else having problems with their Philips 5750 locking up when <<. It only seems to happen on a couple of shows on NBC ("The Blacklist" and "Crisis"). It makes me wonder if there is something about how those shows are segmented with respect to programming parcels and advertisements.

Mine will completely freeze and not allow me to use any of the >>, <<, pause, stop, play, next track or previous track functions. All I can do is hit the "title list" button and start playing from the beginning. At which point I can use the "next track" option to get me close to where I got frozen. But I do not dare to try to back up if I go too far.

Is there something wrong with my unit or is it something to do with the broadcast? Any firmware updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 611 Old 06-18-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post
Is anybody else having problems with their Philips 5750 locking up when <<. It only seems to happen on a couple of shows on NBC ("The Blacklist" and "Crisis"). It makes me wonder if there is something about how those shows are segmented with respect to programming parcels and advertisements.

Mine will completely freeze and not allow me to use any of the >>, <<, pause, stop, play, next track or previous track functions. All I can do is hit the "title list" button and start playing from the beginning. At which point I can use the "next track" option to get me close to where I got frozen. But I do not dare to try to back up if I go too far.

Is there something wrong with my unit or is it something to do with the broadcast? Any firmware updates?
I'm wondering if this might be related.

The only problem I've had with my 5710 is a menu freeze-and-go-to-live-TV if I open the Title List while the DVR is on an analog channel, of which I have many in my cable feed..

If you're also on cable, could it be as simple as that... make sure you're tuner is on a digital channel before playing?

One user did report he had similar problem but using SKIP and REPLAY worked fine, and those buttons can accumulate up to 10 moves at once if you press quickly.

Last edited by wajo; 06-19-2014 at 11:43 PM.
post #603 of 611 Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 AM

wajo, Thanks for the response. I only use an OTA antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
I'm wondering if this might be related.

The only problem I've had with my 5710 is a menu freeze if I open the Title List while the DVR is on an analog channel, of which I have many in my cable feed..

If you're also on cable, could it be as simple as that... make sure you're tuner is on a digital channel before playing?

One user did report he had similar problem but using SKIP and REPLAY worked fine, and those buttons can accumulate up to 10 moves at once if you press quickly.
post #604 of 611 Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The ~5-week NFM $99.99 sale on the 5710 ended today, 6/19/14.

Price is now $217.99.

post #605 of 611 Old 06-20-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Switch HDMI cables... connect the known-good Mag DVDR HDMI cable to the DVR output... same TV input, only change the device end to the DVR HDMI output
Some TVs won't allow Zoom to be used with a 1080p framed picture input for whatever reason ...
post #606 of 611 Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

There is a known bug with the players regarding REW at least. If you are watching a recorded show and hit REW and the show is nearly over ... say 3/4 played, then the recording can get corrupted.

Symptoms include locking up the player when going back to the title list. Or the recording can never be replayed, or the recording will not resume and start from the beginning.

I went over this bug with Philips and logged it -- they suggested they knew about the issue and were going to address it with a firmware update -- but that was several months ago.

Now I dont use REW, and if I do have to go back I use chapter back or skip back .... but never REW.
post #607 of 611 Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Some TVs won't allow Zoom to be used with a 1080p framed picture input for whatever reason ...
Some TVs refuse to zoom HD at all. An old Sony TV I had the misfortune of using would refuse to allow aspect ratio controls at all in HD, and the only way I could regain control was to use 480p over component.
post #608 of 611 Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:

The ~5-week NFM $99.99 sale on the 5710 ended today, 6/19/14.

Price is now $217.99.

I bought a second one at the sale price with the intent to set it up next to my other and use the second remote code. Has anybody done this with success?

My best friend is my PAL
post #609 of 611 Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post
I bought a second one at the sale price with the intent to set it up next to my other and use the second remote code. Has anybody done this with success?
Yes, I've done it many times in testing these units.

You can change the code in the 2nd unit's remote as described here.

You'll know you're using the wrong remote if a message appears on 1st press of any button.
post #610 of 611 Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've done it many times in testing these units.

You can change the code in the 2nd unit's remote as described here.

You'll know you're using the wrong remote if a message appears on 1st press of any button.
Thanks Wajo for the info, it will be nice to have 4 OTA record capability on fairly reliable hardware.

My best friend is my PAL
post #611 of 611 Old 06-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Switch HDMI cables... connect the known-good Mag DVDR HDMI cable to the DVR output... same TV input, only change the device end to the DVR HDMI output
I had tried that. Sent the unit back a few days ago. Thanks for input. Saving pennies for a 2nd Magnavox for back-up since my Panasonic died again and I'm not going to replace the drive again after a lifespan of 2 years on the latest.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page