Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 657 Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Where are most folks buying a 5750 these days? Radio Shack? What are most folks using for add on external HDD?
I can only suspect that most people go to the lowest-cost options: Radio Shack and Amazon, which sell the 5750 for same $219 price (Amazon's "Sold by Amazon" units, not one of their "partners"). Amazon seems to sell theirs' out often and may list several weeks before shipping, but then they suddenly post them as available for shipping now.

On HDDs, I can only point you to my experience using "older" drives, both USB-HDD and flash/thumb.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 657 Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Where are most folks buying a 5750 these days? Radio Shack? What are most folks using for add on external HDD?
I ordered a 5750 today from Radio Shack. Got an extra 10% off the $219 price with a Cyber Monday discount, making the price $198. Free shipping to my local Radio Shack store, too. Best price I've been able to find over the last several weeks. I don't plan on hooking up an external HD since I think 1 TB will be enough. 500 GB was enough on my previous Sony unit.

I was wavering for a while between the 5750 and the Channel Master DVR+ with 1 TB built-in. However, I was leery about the Channel Master's on-screen guide after being burned by Sony when they dropped the on-screen guide on their DVR, thus turning the Sony into a brick with no other way to program it. I was also unable to find a discount on the DVR+ even on this BlackFriday/CyberMonday weekend. This low price on the Philips at Radio Shack set the hook, so I bit. I'm used to programming my Magnavox DVR like a VCR, so I don't see the Philips programming method as a big negative, just making a jump from SD to HD. Mostly I record PBS shows, and I can get a month's worth of program guide on my local station's web site and do most of my programming just once a month.

Thanks to all who posted on this forum. I feel like I now know the 5750 well, even though I haven't gotten my unit yet. Looking forward to a pickup at Radio Shack in the next few days.

Happy Cyber Monday to All.

Carl
post #633 of 657 Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Opening & editing .tts files

Has anyone figured out how to (1) open/play recorded .tts files on computer and (2) edit for archiving? I've had the 5750 for 5 days now and tried many tools but so far a frustrating effort. This is important enough for me to possibly return unit and go back to Hauppauge 1212.
post #634 of 657 Old 12-16-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Wasn't it already established that using the recordings outside of the Philips is impossible, due to the use of encryption? The DVR+ uses a slightly odd form of TS, but you can fix the stream with tools like ffmpeg. I thought that no such options were available for the files this DVR creates.
post #635 of 657 Old 12-17-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwannab View Post
Has anyone figured out how to (1) open/play recorded .tts files on computer and (2) edit for archiving? I've had the 5750 for 5 days now and tried many tools but so far a frustrating effort. This is important enough for me to possibly return unit and go back to Hauppauge 1212.
Offloading can be done. See this help file for a start... more work is needed in this area to figure things out completely.

Other help files are here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; 12-17-2014 at 07:23 AM.
post #636 of 657 Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Wasn't it already established that using the recordings outside of the Philips is impossible, due to the use of encryption? The DVR+ uses a slightly odd form of TS, but you can fix the stream with tools like ffmpeg. I thought that no such options were available for the files this DVR creates.
Yes, that was established early on by one of the first users. There was a screen shot of one of the Philips' info screens that showed SynCrypto was running on the Linux OS to do the encryption. That image seems to have disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwannab View Post
If archiving the recordings is something important to you, you need to get a different DVR. The DVR+ doesn't protect the recordings and you can easily pull the .ts files off its Ext formatted HDD with a memory stick-booted copy of Ubuntu. You need to run them through ffmpeg if you want to play them as-is, but if you want to edit the commercials, use Video ReDo and when it saves the edited file it makes the corrections needed.

There is also the iView and its clones which save the recordings to Windows formatted HDD's but the capabilities and reliability of the iView matches its cheap price.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #637 of 657 Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks Kelson. Looks like the Channel Master is what I am looking for. I already own VideoRedo so that should make a perfect match. Thanks all.
post #638 of 657 Old 01-29-2015, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 663
wajo,

While visiting the Philips website to check on the HD recorder, evidently the previous link I use is now a UK site:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-so/blu-...ry.p-grid-icon

This model had two tuners! Do you think this will work it's way to a US version?

Thanks, wajo!
post #639 of 657 Old 01-29-2015, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
wajo,

While visiting the Philips website to check on the HD recorder, evidently the previous link I use is now a UK site:

This model had two tuners! Do you think this will work it's way to a US version?
Those models are 2013 or earlier vintage and the Euros always have better stuff than we do, with little or none coming our way... unfortunately.

post #640 of 657 Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
wajo,

Thanks, wajo!
Freeview UK only tuners. No dice in the USA. Uk Uses a totally different OTA broadcast system to the USA, sorry.
post #641 of 657 Old 02-06-2015, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Radio Shack has lowered their price on the 5750 to $124.99.

post #642 of 657 Old 02-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks! Ordered one.
post #643 of 657 Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have Philips DVDR 3575H/58 Version 3.06.Could somebody help me.How can I replace a new HDD 500gb to my device.I tried many times apply skip codes.But I didnt succes it.Could you explain step by step enter skip codes.
post #644 of 657 Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsefa View Post
I have Philips DVDR 3575H/58 Version 3.06.Could somebody help me.How can I replace a new HDD 500gb to my device.I tried many times apply skip codes.But I didnt succes it.Could you explain step by step enter skip codes.
Since that DVDR is not for N. A. use (it's PAL video system), SKIP Codes might not work over there.

I did notice in the specs for your unit that you can attach external USB-HDDs, as described here.

post #645 of 657 Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 PM

I am interested in a 5750 from Radio Shack, but have not purchased on-line from RS. Anybody have experience, and want to share.

Thanks!
post #646 of 657 Old 02-08-2015, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 109
A couple Black Fridays ago RS had a great deal on a cell phone but after driving to a couple local RS's all the stores near me were sold out interestingly enough they still showed in stock online. I ordered it thinking they too may run out before I got mine but low and behold less than a week later it arrived at my door, and free shipping.
A few weeks later the person I purchased the phone for decided they didn't want that model(it was a gift so it hadn't even been opened) so for returning it I was able to just go to the store, no need to return it by the mail. No issues with the return, in fact I got all my money back which I felt a little guilty about since after all it did cost them money to ship it to me but I figured since the only reason I ordered it by mail was because they didn't have the item in stock in the store and I did waste a trip to the store in the first place, I took the full refund.
Of course now that RS has gone bankrupt things could be different but my guess is they'll still do the right thing if you run into problems, which I doubt you will. The 5710 is a decent little HD recorder, overpriced at it's retail price but for a not a lot over $100 I don't see how you could go wrong. Definitely more stable and polished than the $40 iView and clone recorders.

Last edited by jjeff; 02-08-2015 at 06:04 AM.
post #647 of 657 Old 02-08-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am interested in a 5750 from Radio Shack, but have not purchased on-line from RS. Anybody have experience, and want to share.
Sold out On-line. They finished liquidating.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #648 of 657 Old 02-08-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Sold out On-line. They finished liquidating.

Thank you!
post #649 of 657 Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

5750's back in stock at Radio Shack, $124.99!

Last edited by wajo; 02-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #650 of 657 Old 02-08-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 109
This is getting to be like the Magnavox DVDR thread, in stock, out of stock, in stock
I also like the glowing review on the RS site and lastly, it seems odd how the RS site works when checking local availability. When I put in my zip code and stores within 100 miles it says " There are no available stores within 10 miles of XXXXX zip code" then it displays a list of probably 30 stores, starting at ones within 2 miles of me it also says to "call store" so not sure if they are trying to say there are no stores near me, none near me have it in stock or simply I must call each store to see if they have any 5710's
Anyway anyone interested in one of these should decide ASAP, I'd guess once they are gone they'll be gone for good.
post #651 of 657 Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
This is getting to be like the Magnavox DVDR thread, in stock, out of stock, in stock . . .
Anyway anyone interested in one of these should decide ASAP, I'd guess once they are gone they'll be gone for good.
As long as BestBuy keeps trying to sell it for list price, there will continue to be stock.

- kelson h

post #652 of 657 Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
Thanks! Ordered one.
I received a "backordered" notice Sunday, but then this morning I got a confirmation and shipping notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
This is getting to be like the Magnavox DVDR thread, in stock, out of stock, in stock
I also like the glowing review on the RS site and lastly, it seems odd how the RS site works when checking local availability. When I put in my zip code and stores within 100 miles it says " There are no available stores within 10 miles of XXXXX zip code" then it displays a list of probably 30 stores, starting at ones within 2 miles of me it also says to "call store" so not sure if they are trying to say there are no stores near me, none near me have it in stock or simply I must call each store to see if they have any 5710's
When I checked my local stores, all but one said 'call store' but one did indicate 'available'. Tempted...
post #653 of 657 Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 AM

Last night: Radio Shack cancelled my order. :sadface
post #654 of 657 Old 02-14-2015, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Red face Hdd problem

[quote=wajo;31560801]Since that DVDR is not for N. A. use (it's PAL video system), SKIP Codes might not work over there.

I did notice in the specs for your unit that you can attach external USB-HDDs,

As you know I have PHILIPS DVDR3575H/58.
I formatted my HDD as FAT32,It was original HDD(160 GB).But device still is not working properly.When I check HDD capacitiy I am seeing 22 GB recording capacity/ about 54 min.How can I solve this problem.
post #655 of 657 Old Today, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just ordered one for store pickup
post #656 of 657 Old Today, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A few 5750's back in stock at Radio Shack, $124.99.

post #657 of 657 Old Today, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
A few 5750's back in stock at Radio Shack, $124.99.
wajo,

I communicated with "Tamara" on the Radio Shack site this morning, and it was reported none were available.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread - Hdr5710 by PriceGrabber.com