Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 637 Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Where are most folks buying a 5750 these days? Radio Shack? What are most folks using for add on external HDD?
I can only suspect that most people go to the lowest-cost options: Radio Shack and Amazon, which sell the 5750 for same $219 price (Amazon's "Sold by Amazon" units, not one of their "partners"). Amazon seems to sell theirs' out often and may list several weeks before shipping, but then they suddenly post them as available for shipping now.

On HDDs, I can only point you to my experience using "older" drives, both USB-HDD and flash/thumb.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 637 Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Where are most folks buying a 5750 these days? Radio Shack? What are most folks using for add on external HDD?
I ordered a 5750 today from Radio Shack. Got an extra 10% off the $219 price with a Cyber Monday discount, making the price $198. Free shipping to my local Radio Shack store, too. Best price I've been able to find over the last several weeks. I don't plan on hooking up an external HD since I think 1 TB will be enough. 500 GB was enough on my previous Sony unit.

I was wavering for a while between the 5750 and the Channel Master DVR+ with 1 TB built-in. However, I was leery about the Channel Master's on-screen guide after being burned by Sony when they dropped the on-screen guide on their DVR, thus turning the Sony into a brick with no other way to program it. I was also unable to find a discount on the DVR+ even on this BlackFriday/CyberMonday weekend. This low price on the Philips at Radio Shack set the hook, so I bit. I'm used to programming my Magnavox DVR like a VCR, so I don't see the Philips programming method as a big negative, just making a jump from SD to HD. Mostly I record PBS shows, and I can get a month's worth of program guide on my local station's web site and do most of my programming just once a month.

Thanks to all who posted on this forum. I feel like I now know the 5750 well, even though I haven't gotten my unit yet. Looking forward to a pickup at Radio Shack in the next few days.

Happy Cyber Monday to All.

Carl
post #633 of 637 Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Opening & editing .tts files

Has anyone figured out how to (1) open/play recorded .tts files on computer and (2) edit for archiving? I've had the 5750 for 5 days now and tried many tools but so far a frustrating effort. This is important enough for me to possibly return unit and go back to Hauppauge 1212.
post #634 of 637 Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Wasn't it already established that using the recordings outside of the Philips is impossible, due to the use of encryption? The DVR+ uses a slightly odd form of TS, but you can fix the stream with tools like ffmpeg. I thought that no such options were available for the files this DVR creates.
post #635 of 637 Old Today, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwannab View Post
Has anyone figured out how to (1) open/play recorded .tts files on computer and (2) edit for archiving? I've had the 5750 for 5 days now and tried many tools but so far a frustrating effort. This is important enough for me to possibly return unit and go back to Hauppauge 1212.
Offloading can be done. See this help file for a start... more work is needed in this area to figure things out completely.

Other help files are here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 07:23 AM.
post #636 of 637 Old Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Wasn't it already established that using the recordings outside of the Philips is impossible, due to the use of encryption? The DVR+ uses a slightly odd form of TS, but you can fix the stream with tools like ffmpeg. I thought that no such options were available for the files this DVR creates.
Yes, that was established early on by one of the first users. There was a screen shot of one of the Philips' info screens that showed SynCrypto was running on the Linux OS to do the encryption. That image seems to have disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwannab View Post
If archiving the recordings is something important to you, you need to get a different DVR. The DVR+ doesn't protect the recordings and you can easily pull the .ts files off its Ext formatted HDD with a memory stick-booted copy of Ubuntu. You need to run them through ffmpeg if you want to play them as-is, but if you want to edit the commercials, use Video ReDo and when it saves the edited file it makes the corrections needed.

There is also the iView and its clones which save the recordings to Windows formatted HDD's but the capabilities and reliability of the iView matches its cheap price.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #637 of 637 Old Today, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Kelson. Looks like the Channel Master is what I am looking for. I already own VideoRedo so that should make a perfect match. Thanks all.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread - Hdr5710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page