Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #661 of 664 Unread Today, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomps View Post
Thanks for the quick response wajo. I can only pick one channel for now and that is CTV in Waterloo Canada. So I have auto-clocked the DVR to that station since day one. CTV must be as bad as ABC. Once I get my antenna on the roof I will be able to test other Canada and US stations.
If CTV is like our PBS, I've found PBS to be VERY unreliable for clock setting. Once you get more antenna channels, I hope you find, like I do, that every antenna channel I get has an accurate clock.

Quote:
On another subject ... I recorded some content on a usb drive. I was able to successfully mounted the drive on my Linux machine which allowed me to view and play the MPEG2 video files. No matter which media player I tried (eg VLC) the files would not play. No error messages just nothing. This may indicate that the files are encrypted. What do you think?
Thanks for testing this. However, I can't tell if you were able to play the files or not since you say yes, then no.

I have lots of other questions on this.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 664 Unread Today, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
If CTV is like our PBS, I've found PBS to be VERY unreliable for clock setting. Once you get more antenna channels, I hope you find, like I do, that every antenna channel I get has an accurate clock.

Thanks for testing this. However, I can't tell if you were able to play the files or not since you say yes, then no.
Sorry for the confusion ... I can view (in a HEX editor), copy, and delete the MPEG2 files but I can't get them to play regardless of which media player I used. The player just sits at the start of the file after I hit the "play" button and does nothing else. No messages at all. I even copied the files to Win 7 with no luck.
Scott
post #663 of 664 Unread Today, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion ... I can view (in a HEX editor), copy, and delete the MPEG2 files but I can't get them to play regardless of which media player I used. The player just sits at the start of the file after I hit the "play" button and does nothing else. No messages at all. I even copied the files to Win 7 with no luck.
Even with my lame attempt to copy and play files, using a trial version of UFS Explorer, I got "play-action" (timer running) as described in the help file.

Since I had less than zero interest in involving a PC in my TV watching, I didn't pay for SW to test this further. Since you have Linux and have been able to copy the files to PC, I hope you can thoroughly test this aspect. Some questions first:

1. Did you use any app(s) to copy the files to PC (or just a HEX editor)? [I don't use HEX editors so I'm not sure if copying with one is the same as copying with an app, like UFSExplorer, in a pseudo "file recovery" op.]

2. What app(s) did you use to try to play the files?

3. Did you copy ALL the files associated with each .tts file or just the .tts file(s)?

4. If you copied all files to a folder on the PC, did you try to play the .tts files from its multi-file folder without deleting any of the other files first?

5. If you copied all files, did you delete the file-name-config.cnt and register files before trying to play?

I'm sure there are many more questions but this is a start.

These questions would be better from an expert in working with video files in a PC but, if past history prevails, these might be the best we're going to get.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #664 of 664 Unread Today, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Even with my lame attempt to copy and play files, using a trial version of UFS Explorer, I got "play-action" (timer running) as described in the help file.

Since I had less than zero interest in involving a PC in my TV watching, I didn't pay for SW to test this further. Since you have Linux and have been able to copy the files to PC, I hope you can thoroughly test this aspect. Some questions first:

1. Did you use any app(s) to copy the files to PC (or just a HEX editor)? [I don't use HEX editors so I'm not sure if copying with one is the same as copying with an app, like UFSExplorer, in a pseudo "file recovery" op.]

2. What app(s) did you use to try to play the files?

3. Did you copy ALL the files associated with each .tts file or just the .tts file(s)?

4. If you copied all files to a folder on the PC, did you try to play the .tts files from its multi-file folder without deleting any of the other files first?

5. If you copied all files, did you delete the file-name-config.cnt and register files before trying to play?

I'm sure there are many more questions but this is a start.

These questions would be better from an expert in working with video files in a PC but, if past history prevails, these might be the best we're going to get.
I did the test a few weeks ago. let me fire up the Linux machine and do some more testing. I will try to answer you questions soon.
Scott
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page