Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 683 Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthomps View Post
Thanks for the quick response wajo. I can only pick one channel for now and that is CTV in Waterloo Canada. So I have auto-clocked the DVR to that station since day one. CTV must be as bad as ABC. Once I get my antenna on the roof I will be able to test other Canada and US stations.
If CTV is like our PBS, I've found PBS to be VERY unreliable for clock setting. Once you get more antenna channels, I hope you find, like I do, that every antenna channel I get has an accurate clock.

Quote:
On another subject ... I recorded some content on a usb drive. I was able to successfully mounted the drive on my Linux machine which allowed me to view and play the MPEG2 video files. No matter which media player I tried (eg VLC) the files would not play. No error messages just nothing. This may indicate that the files are encrypted. What do you think?
Thanks for testing this. However, I can't tell if you were able to play the files or not since you say yes, then no.

I have lots of other questions on this.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.

Last edited by wajo; 03-04-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 683 Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
If CTV is like our PBS, I've found PBS to be VERY unreliable for clock setting. Once you get more antenna channels, I hope you find, like I do, that every antenna channel I get has an accurate clock.

Thanks for testing this. However, I can't tell if you were able to play the files or not since you say yes, then no.
Sorry for the confusion ... I can view (in a HEX editor), copy, and delete the MPEG2 files but I can't get them to play regardless of which media player I used. The player just sits at the start of the file after I hit the "play" button and does nothing else. No messages at all. I even copied the files to Win 7 with no luck.
Scott
post #663 of 683 Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion ... I can view (in a HEX editor), copy, and delete the MPEG2 files but I can't get them to play regardless of which media player I used. The player just sits at the start of the file after I hit the "play" button and does nothing else. No messages at all. I even copied the files to Win 7 with no luck.
Even with my lame attempt to copy and play files, using a trial version of UFS Explorer, I got "play-action" (timer running) as described in the help file.

Since I had less than zero interest in involving a PC in my TV watching, I didn't pay for SW to test this further. Since you have Linux and have been able to copy the files to PC, I hope you can thoroughly test this aspect. Some questions first:

1. Did you use any app(s) to copy the files to PC (or just a HEX editor)? [I don't use HEX editors so I'm not sure if copying with one is the same as copying with an app, like UFSExplorer, in a pseudo "file recovery" op.]

2. What app(s) did you use to try to play the files?

3. Did you copy ALL the files associated with each .tts file or just the .tts file(s)?

4. If you copied all files to a folder on the PC, did you try to play the .tts files from its multi-file folder without deleting any of the other files first?

5. If you copied all files, did you delete the file-name-config.cnt and register files before trying to play?

I'm sure there are many more questions but this is a start.

These questions would be better from an expert in working with video files in a PC but, if past history prevails, these might be the best we're going to get.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #664 of 683 Old 03-04-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Even with my lame attempt to copy and play files, using a trial version of UFS Explorer, I got "play-action" (timer running) as described in the help file.

Since I had less than zero interest in involving a PC in my TV watching, I didn't pay for SW to test this further. Since you have Linux and have been able to copy the files to PC, I hope you can thoroughly test this aspect. Some questions first:

1. Did you use any app(s) to copy the files to PC (or just a HEX editor)? [I don't use HEX editors so I'm not sure if copying with one is the same as copying with an app, like UFSExplorer, in a pseudo "file recovery" op.]

2. What app(s) did you use to try to play the files?

3. Did you copy ALL the files associated with each .tts file or just the .tts file(s)?

4. If you copied all files to a folder on the PC, did you try to play the .tts files from its multi-file folder without deleting any of the other files first?

5. If you copied all files, did you delete the file-name-config.cnt and register files before trying to play?

I'm sure there are many more questions but this is a start.

These questions would be better from an expert in working with video files in a PC but, if past history prevails, these might be the best we're going to get.
I did the test a few weeks ago. let me fire up the Linux machine and do some more testing. I will try to answer you questions soon.
Scott
post #665 of 683 Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Hi I picked up one of these Philips to use as a DVR replacing a non DVR cable box. So I had a couple of questions. 1. Tried the online FW update and it said the unit had newer firmware than the online. 2. It finds channels on the scan and then after a power off/on some disappear. Is there a Cure and why? Thank You TBoneit
post #666 of 683 Old 03-08-2015, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
Hi I picked up one of these Philips to use as a DVR replacing a non DVR cable box. So I had a couple of questions. 1. Tried the online FW update and it said the unit had newer firmware than the online. 2. It finds channels on the scan and then after a power off/on some disappear. Is there a Cure and why? Thank You TBoneit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
1. The FW in my units is PHL-0DVR_044_0. I'm not aware of any user-installable FW updates.
2. First I've heard of channels disappearing. I do know that a cable user can have one or more problems if he/she has analog channels in their cable feed. I've noted the Title List problem in the Help Files, but not sure if analog channels can affect channel scans or stability of channels after scan? It'll be interesting to see if we can make some sense out of your problem?

post #667 of 683 Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 AM

Hi Wajo I'm back. Just in case I tried a second Unit and have the same problem. a few Channels that show up on the scan and work until I power off disappear when I power the unit back on. It shows two Analog channels found during the scan and they are not user channels. They have some sort of network monitoring displayed. Any Suggestions. I did notice that one that consistently disappears is a Cable only news channel from the cable company that I want to watch. No channel name is shown as it is a cable only channel. I would blame that for the problem except that the local Fox channel that does display the channel name and information also went missing once. The cable company does seem to pass through the Channel names and program descriptions on the OTA channels. CBS & NBC show a consistent time that is off by 2 minutes. It always shows as 1PM when it really is 1:02 PM. I can live with that. The channels going MIA after a power off is a problem. Thank You TBOneit
post #668 of 683 Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting.

After scanning for all channels and confirming that the consistently missing channels are there, turn off then on and confirm that those channels are missing again. Then, check the Installation > Channels > Skipping Channels menu and see if they've been auto-checked to be skipped.

Next, assuming they're not checked, check those "bad" channels to be skipped, turn off and on and see if the other channels are there and OK.

Assuming they are OK, uncheck one of the bad channels, repeat on/off procedure until you can isolate which channel or channels might be causing the problem. I suspect a local cable channel or a monitoring channel.

See if you can find anything out from those tests.

post #669 of 683 Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

After scanning for all channels and confirming that the consistently missing channels are there, turn off then on and confirm that those channels are missing again. Then, check the Installation > Channels > Skipping Channels menu and see if they've been auto-checked to be skipped.

Next, assuming they're not checked, check those "bad" channels to be skipped, turn off and on and see if the other channels are there and OK.

Assuming they are OK, uncheck one of the bad channels, repeat on/off procedure until you can isolate which channel or channels might be causing the problem. I suspect a local cable channel or a monitoring channel.

See if you can find anything out from those tests.
Hi Wajo I just printed out your directions to try out. I just need a uninterrupted time period to do them and then test. I will get back to You when I am done. The Magnavox DVD recorder with Hard Drive was never this much trouble. I ended up buying them mainly due to Your posts here and on the previous forum. Thank You for Your help TBoneit
post #670 of 683 Old 03-16-2015, 11:26 AM

Hi Again I set it to skip most channels and it still lost a local cable channel News12 after a power off and some other channels too. Any other ideas? Thank You TBoneit
post #671 of 683 Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are the channels you're losing analog or digital, or both?

post #672 of 683 Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 AM

Hi Wajo It only finds two Analog channels and from what I can see they are not entertainment channels. They appear to be some sort of a real-time graph showing possibly Internet usage. I tried disabling 90+% of the channels and only left the locals from NYC and this time around it lost the SD & the HD versions of the Cable only channel news12. FWIW News12 is a channel that is produced in a nearby town and covers NJ Weather, Traffic and News in a 1/2 hour loop that changes throughout the day. I wonder if it is something they are doing with the Cable channels that is not being done to the OTA channels as they seem to have program data and display the channel info when I go to skip channels section whereas the MIA channels display nothing except channel numbers such as 84.7012, Not an exact channel number as I am working from memory but in the xx.xxxx format. Thanks for Looking & Helping TBOneit
post #673 of 683 Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, this is strange. I've got three of these DVRs. Used to be on cable with analog and digital channels.. no channel problems... now on antenna... no channel problems. I haven't even heard of such problems until your post.

I guess if I were you, I'd skip the two analog channels AND that News12 channel and see what the results are?

post #674 of 683 Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, picked one of these units via Radio Shack online for 124.99,then I heard nothing from them for 2 weeks, so I talk to a rep on the website who says she would check into my situation & email me about my order. Well 1 week later never heard from the rep, they cancelled my order, then placed it again & shipped it 5 days later. As they were doing this they raised the price up to 219.99. Worst service ever, took a month to get it. I quickly set it up for antenna & cable, set the clock to my local NBC channel, works great so far ,no dropped channels, no clock issues. Only issue is that while recording a scheduled program sometimes captures the previous programs name
post #675 of 683 Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dove View Post
Hi all, picked one of these units via Radio Shack online for 124.99,then I heard nothing from them for 2 weeks, so I talk to a rep on the website who says she would check into my situation & email me about my order. Well 1 week later never heard from the rep, they cancelled my order, then placed it again & shipped it 5 days later. As they were doing this they raised the price up to 219.99. Worst service ever, took a month to get it. I quickly set it up for antenna & cable, set the clock to my local NBC channel, works great so far ,no dropped channels, no clock issues. Only issue is that while recording a scheduled program sometimes captures the previous programs name
Yea, RS had over 160 of them several times, but now have been getting units in dribs and dabs. Not sure if anyone will get any more at this point.

Here's a help file section on setting the clock for more accurate titles.

post #676 of 683 Old 03-18-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Well, this is strange. I've got three of these DVRs. Used to be on cable with analog and digital channels.. no channel problems... now on antenna... no channel problems. I haven't even heard of such problems until your post.

I guess if I were you, I'd skip the two analog channels AND that News12 channel and see what the results are?
Hi Wajo
I guess I'm out of luck as keeping news 12 is one thing I needed to be able to get rid of the cable box.

Oh Well
Thank You
TBoneit
post #677 of 683 Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 AM
ALP

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Folks, I have not read the entire thread so if this has already been asked and answered just point me to it. I am seriously considering getting a 5750 for its recording in HDTV and the 33TB storage capability. My big concern is the sensitivity of the ATSC tuner. I have read some comments on Amazon that the tuner is not very sensitive and people get pixelation when they use this DVR. My situation is I am OTA about 30 miles line-of-sight to the ESB in NYC. I have a big Winegard yagi antenna going to an 8 way drop amp and I get excellent reception on my Pioneer and Panasonic plasma screen TV's and on my old Sharp LCD TV as well as on the Magnavox MDR537 SDTV DVR's that a currently use. Can anyone give me a feeling if I will have a reception problem with the 5710 ( I realize I can buy from Amazon and return it if it does not work, but if someone here knows it will not work under my conditions I would rather not go through the hassle of buying and returning).

Tony Plachy
post #678 of 683 Old 03-22-2015, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
Folks, I have not read the entire thread so if this has already been asked and answered just point me to it. I am seriously considering getting a 5750 for its recording in HDTV and the 33TB storage capability. My big concern is the sensitivity of the ATSC tuner. I have read some comments on Amazon that the tuner is not very sensitive and people get pixelation when they use this DVR. My situation is I am OTA about 30 miles line-of-sight to the ESB in NYC. I have a big Winegard yagi antenna going to an 8 way drop amp and I get excellent reception on my Pioneer and Panasonic plasma screen TV's and on my old Sharp LCD TV as well as on the Magnavox MDR537 SDTV DVR's that a currently use. Can anyone give me a feeling if I will have a reception problem with the 5710 ( I realize I can buy from Amazon and return it if it does not work, but if someone here knows it will not work under my conditions I would rather not go through the hassle of buying and returning).
My three 5710's are as strong or stronger than my HDTVs and my Mag and Philips HDD DVDRs.

You can read about my experience with Mohu antennas... I can tune all 38 channels available in my location, 40-60 miles from towers in opposite directions, with no line of sight in one of those directions.

YMMV.

post #679 of 683 Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unit Freezing On Playback Of Failed Attempts To Record

Wanted to ask for help with a problem with entries in the Title List for preset recordings that fail.

With less-than-optimum signals from an indoor antenna, on some occasions the level of signal at the beginning of a preset recording is apparently not sufficient for the 5710 to properly record (particularly on units that are daisy-chained in line after the first recorder). In that circumstance, a line entry for the attempted recording is created in the Title List but which plays nothing back. When such a failed recording occurs, not only does nothing play, but moving the cursor onto that line displayed in the Title List causes the unit to quickly freeze and shut down. The unit sometimes gives enough time before freezing to allow deleting one of these failed recordings by executing the sequence of right arrow, down arrow to the "Title Delete" selection, OK, right arrow to highlight the "Yes" choice in the "Title Delete" dialog box, and then "OK" with "Yes" highlighted. Too often, after the cursor is moved to a line entry for one of the failed recordings in the Title List, the unit freezes and shuts down before the sequence to delete the failed recording can be completed.

It is becoming progressively more difficult to navigate through the Title List as more and more line entries of failed recordings that freeze and shut down the unit accumulate. Can anyone suggest another way of deleting these entries?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Jim

Last edited by Jim19; 05-31-2015 at 07:34 PM.
post #680 of 683 Old 06-01-2015, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've not run across this problem with my daisy-chained units or read of any others with the same problem so there's nothing to go on up to this point.

I do know the machine can temporarily freeze, then recover, when working with titles if the machine is on an analog channel so make sure you're not on an analog when you work with titles. Cable users could easily have analogs and antenna users could have one or more low-power stations, which don't have to convert to digital for OTA transmission.

One "far-out" possibility is a conflict with the "info" ("i") messages in the timer programming menu auto-entered by the machine when it senses a problem with the recording due to weak signal etc. Those "i" messages seem to be just "pests"... they're all the same (generic) and can be deleted in the timer programming menu. Perhaps if you leave an info message on a timer program unread and not deleted the machine's logic gets cranky... maybe you have to click on (read) and delete the "i" messages first?

Not much help but that's all I've got for now.

Last edited by wajo; 06-01-2015 at 12:22 AM.
post #681 of 683 Old 06-01-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

One "far-out" possibility is a conflict with the "info" ("i") messages in the timer programming menu auto-entered by the machine when it senses a problem with the recording due to weak signal etc. Those "i" messages seem to be just "pests"... they're all the same (generic) and can be deleted in the timer programming menu. Perhaps if you leave an info message on a timer program unread and not deleted the machine's logic gets cranky... maybe you have to click on (read) and delete the "i" messages first?

Wajo,

I am on OTA exclusively (thanks to Comcast scrambling all the channels) watching and recording only digital channels, so analog is not the issue here.

Hadn't realized the system left those messages in the timer programming menu about problems with attempted recordings. After reading your suggestion, I was hopeful that deleting them might enable deletion of the entries in the Title List that were freezing the unit. It was a great try, but unfortunately, no joy. The offending entries still freeze the unit before I can complete the sequence to delete them. It's strange how I have been able to delete some of the entries from failed recordings before the unit froze, but not others. Reading the messages in the timer programming menu, I saw one that said the recording failed because the disk was full. The corresponding entry for that failed recording in the Title List freezes the unit just as the ones that result from inadequate signal do.

Have you ever had a recording fail and had to delete the entry in the Title List that resulted from it?

Please let me know if you can think of anything else to try to remove the bad entries in the title list. Thanks so much for the suggestion to delete the messages in the timer programming menu!

Jim
post #682 of 683 Old 06-01-2015, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just because you're OTA only, there could still be some analog channels primarily low-power stations that are not reqd to convert their signal to digital.

Other than the two poss. I mentioned, I've got nothing since I've never had that problem on either cable or antenna, only the temp. freeze I mentioned when I was on cable, caused by working with titles while tuned to an analog channel.

post #683 of 683 Old Today, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim19 View Post
Wajo,

I am on OTA exclusively (thanks to Comcast scrambling all the channels) watching and recording only digital channels, so analog is not the issue here.
I hope I'm not too out of line, but I think it's worth mentioning that if you haven't cancelled cable yet, you can get a cable card for free and record all your subscribed channels using several different methods, most of which are subscription free and work throughout your entire home if you want.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread