Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #721 of 739 Unread 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have one of these and a Magnavox DVD Recorder too. I can not seem to find a good channel in the NYC Metro Area that provides a good time signal for these units. Does Anyone Know a Good Channel out of NYC, NY I am in Central NJ on Cablevision. Or what procedure should I follow? The channels I select for time all show the wrong time and the Philips says they may not work properly. Thank You TBoneit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 739 Unread 09-18-2015, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
Hi I have one of these and a Magnavox DVD Recorder too. I can not seem to find a good channel in the NYC Metro Area that provides a good time signal for these units. Does Anyone Know a Good Channel out of NYC, NY I am in Central NJ on Cablevision. Or what procedure should I follow? The channels I select for time all show the wrong time and the Philips says they may not work properly. Thank You TBoneit
Same as my experience while on cable... they did not send time signals through from the stations. For a short time while with one of the five cablecos I had, I did get a great time signal from my local FOX station.

Once I switched to antenna, EVERY channel has a good time signal.
post #723 of 739 Unread 09-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Same as my experience while on cable... they did not send time signals through from the stations. For a short time while with one of the five cablecos I had, I did get a great time signal from my local FOX station.

Once I switched to antenna, EVERY channel has a good time signal.
Hi Wajo I had thought that the NYC area would have good time signals. I wonder how things are going to go with the cable company now that they have been bought. That is disapointing to hear. I guess I will have to use a manual clock and keep an eye on it now that the new TV Season is upon us and of course the few shows I still watch conflict with new shows I want to check out. Thank You for the Answer TBoneit
post #724 of 739 Unread 09-19-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Mentioned on the standard definition Magnavox DVR forum.

http://www.magnavox.com/product/player.php?category[]=21
post #725 of 739 Unread 02-26-2016, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DVR restarts when play back

I have has this Philips DVR for a while now. Recently when playing back a recording the DVR shuts down and restart by itself. It is just certain recordings, if I going to another it will play fine. A random choice of which recording will do that. Anyone else have that problem?
post #726 of 739 Unread 02-26-2016, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSJL View Post
I have has this Philips DVR for a while now. Recently when playing back a recording the DVR shuts down and restart by itself. It is just certain recordings, if I going to another it will play fine. A random choice of which recording will do that. Anyone else have that problem?
If you're on cable, this could be related to the problem described in "Title List Problem" here. If you're not on cable, I don't have a clue.
post #727 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
If you're on cable, this could be related to the problem described in "Title List Problem" here. If you're not on cable, I don't have a clue.
I've had this problem with OTA. The only solution for me was to delete the offending recording(s).
Deleting was a problem because it would "reboot" before I could delete it. I had to go into the
"multiple-show" delete menu to succeed.
post #728 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Unit Rebooting On 'Problem' Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkoceski View Post
I've had this problem with OTA. The only solution for me was to delete the offending recording(s).
Deleting was a problem because it would "reboot" before I could delete it. I had to go into the
"multiple-show" delete menu to succeed.

kkoceski,

This sounds similar to something I have experienced with OTA recordings that I asked about here last May. The AVS Forum won't allow me to include a link to that post because I currently have only 4 posts, one below the 5 it says it requires to allow me to include a link. I will try to post the link to my original description of the issue separately after this becomes my 5th post to AVS.

In my situation, some of the recordings that caused the unit to reboot could be deleted before the reboot occurred, but some could not. You seem to have found a way around this by using some form of multiple delete. Using the only approach I know of other than trying to delete everything on the disk, I'm not seeing how the multiple delete can be used to get the problem titles deleted. If I go into Title List and highlight one of the problem titles, the unit reboots before I can right click and select 'Delete Multiple Titles,' which is the same problem I have trying to delete the title via the usual 'Title Delete' selection. BTW Wajo, the issue I am describing occurs on digital recordings as I am not attempting to record anything analog.

kkoceski, does this sound like what you are experiencing? Is there another way to approach using the multiple delete selection that gets rid of these titles? Thanks!

Jim

Last edited by Jim19; 03-28-2016 at 11:08 AM.
post #729 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Re: Unit Rebooting On 'Problem' Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim19 View Post
kkoceski,

This sounds similar to something I have experienced with OTA recordings that I asked about here last May. The AVS Forum won't allow me to include a link to that post because I currently have only 4 posts, one below the 5 it says it requires to allow me to icnlude a link. I will try to post the link to my original description of the issue separately after this becomes my 5th post to AVS.

Here is the link to my post about this issue last May:

Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage

Jim
post #730 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Here is the link to my post about this issue last May:

Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage

Jim
That does sound exactly like what I've seen in the past. I hardly use this device anymore, since my wife prefers the DTVPal DVR, but I will look it over tonight if I can remember. I'm pretty sure its just one of the items on the right side of the screen. I'm thinking you get on a "good" recording, which brings up the small preview box. From there, I think you can find that "multi-delete" on that right-hand-side ( maybe click the right-arrow ? ). I'm thinking it's a check-box, so you don't have to get on the bad recording, but rather stay on the good recording and click the bad's box ???
post #731 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
That does sound exactly like what I've seen in the past. I hardly use this device anymore, since my wife prefers the DTVPal DVR, but I will look it over tonight if I can remember. I'm pretty sure its just one of the items on the right side of the screen. I'm thinking you get on a "good" recording, which brings up the small preview box. From there, I think you can find that "multi-delete" on that right-hand-side ( maybe click the right-arrow ? ). I'm thinking it's a check-box, so you don't have to get on the bad recording, but rather stay on the good recording and click the bad's box ???
You Delete Multiple Titles from the Title List before selecting which titles you want to delete. Open side menu, select Delete Multiple Titles option then start selecting titles, which only puts a checkmark on those titles.
post #732 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking you get on a "good" recording, which brings up the small preview box. From there, I think you can find that "multi-delete" on that right-hand-side ( maybe click the right-arrow ? ). I'm thinking it's a check-box, so you don't have to get on the bad recording, but rather stay on the good recording and click the bad's box ???

Quote:
You Delete Multiple Titles from the Title List before selecting which titles you want to delete. Open side menu, select Delete Multiple Titles option then start selecting titles, which only puts a checkmark on those titles.

kkoceski and Wajo, thanks for your responses!

Trying kkoceski's suggestion of highlighting one of the 'good' titles and then right clicking and selecting 'Delete Multiple Titles' from the menu starts out with that 'good' title now checked for deletion. That can be remedied by arrowing to the left back into the title list and unchecking the 'good' title. The problem I run into at that point is that to check off a 'problem' title for inclusion in the multiple titles to be deleted, as best I can see I have to navigate to it in the title list and then press the remote's 'OK' button to check the 'problem' title. That brings me back to square one: highlighting the 'problem' title in the title list causes the unit to reboot before anything else can be done. Is there a way to identify a 'problem' title for inclusion in the multiple delete without having to highlight it in the Title List? kkoceski, please let me know if you can remember how you made this work!

Jim

Last edited by Jim19; 03-28-2016 at 12:00 PM.
post #733 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
kkoceski and Wajo, thanks for your responses!

Trying kkoceski's suggestion of highlighting one of the 'good' titles and then right clicking and selecting 'Delete Multiple Titles' from the menu starts out with that 'good' title now checked for deletion. That can be remedied by arrowing to the left back into the title list and unchecking the 'good' title. The problem I run into at that point is that to check off a 'problem' title for inclusion in the multiple titles to be deleted, as best I can see I have to navigate to it in the title list and then press the remote's 'OK' button to check the 'problem' title. That brings me back to square one: highlighting the 'problem' title in the title list causes the unit to reboot before anything else can be done. Is there a way to identify a 'problem' title for inclusion in the multiple delete without having to highlight it in the Title List? kkoceski, please let me know if you can remember how you made this work!

Jim
maybe click-ON the "bad" check-box before click-OFF the good one ???
post #734 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
kkosecki and Wajo, thanks for your responses!

Trying kkosecki's suggestion of highlighting one of the 'good' titles and then right clicking and selecting 'Delete Multiple Titles' from the menu starts out with that 'good' title now checked for deletion. That can be remedied by arrowing to the left back into the title list and unchecking the 'good' title. The problem I run into at that point is that to check off a 'problem' title for inclusion in the multiple titles to be deleted, as best I can see I have to navigate to it in the title list and then press the remote's 'OK' button to check the 'problem' title. That brings me back to square one: highlighting the 'problem' title in the title list causes the unit to reboot before anything else can be done. Is there a way to identify a 'problem' title for inclusion in the multiple delete without having to highlight it in the Title List? kkosecki, please let me know if you can remember how you made this work!
You don't have to select a title FIRST with OK... open Title List then press Menu to open side menu, select Delete Multiple Titles, THEN select titles to put the checkmark on those you want to delete.

See pg 44 in the manual.
tomintn likes this.
post #735 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You don't have to select a title FIRST with OK... open Title List then press Menu to open side menu, select Delete Multiple Titles, THEN select titles to put the checkmark on those you want to delete.

See pg 44 in the manual.

Upon opening the title list, a title is already highlighted at that point without yet having pressed 'OK.' Whether the right arrow or the 'Menu' selection is entered on the remote to get to the menu on the right, once 'Delete Multiple Titles' is selected from that menu, the title that was highlighted when the Title List was opened is at that point checked for deletion. That doesn't matter to me since it can easily be unchecked.

The issue I have written about is that the unit reboots almost immediately when one of the 'problem' titles is selected in the title list. If one is attempting to use multi-delete to delete the 'problem' titles unless there is a way to identify those titles for deletion that doesn't involve highlighting them in the title list, one is left trying to highlight them in the title list for inclusion in the multi-delete, which results in the unit rebooting. When you suggested "select Delete Multiple Titles, THEN select titles to put the checkmark on those you want to delete" did you mean that there is a way to select them without highlighting them in the Title List?

My User Manual has sections in English, French, and Spanish, and the section in English only goes 32 pages. I don't see anything about deleting multiple titles in what I have to look at.

Thanks again,

Jim
post #736 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
maybe click-ON the "bad" check-box before click-OFF the good one ???

Tried going into Delete Multiple Titles and first clicking on one of the problem titles for deletion before trying to uncheck the good one initially highlighted. No joy; the unit froze and rebooted right away when I highlighted a problem title even with the 'good' title still checked. Thanks for the suggestion!
post #737 of 739 Unread 03-28-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Tried going into Delete Multiple Titles and first clicking on one of the problem titles for deletion before trying to uncheck the good one initially highlighted. No joy; the unit froze and rebooted right away when I highlighted a problem title even with the 'good' title still checked. Thanks for the suggestion!
Why don't you attach an external HDD, copy all the good recordings to the EHDD then reformat the problem drive to clean it out and start all over.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #738 of 739 Unread 03-29-2016, 04:29 AM

Can you just click on the Check-Box, and not click on the Title of the Bad-Show ?
post #739 of 739 Unread 03-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Can you just click on the Check-Box, and not click on the Title of the Bad-Show ?

Any way that I can see to do it, the 'problem' title would have to be highlighted in the Title List (causing a reboot) for the box to be checked for inclusion in the multiple delete. Would be very interested to know how you managed to make that work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread