Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 629 Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

BD recorders are unavailable in the US because of DMCA pressure, not solely because of a lack of interest.
Nonsense. All the majors pulled out of the DVD Recorder market in the US with the switch to OTA DTV because they got hosed in sales with the analog units and saw no future worth investing in by developing digital tuner versions. They ceded the market to funai -- who had their own BD recorders they could have brought into the US but didn't because they too saw no market. Nobody wants to spend $500 on a disk recorder.

DMCA is just a copyright law, not a pressure group.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 629 Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Any ideas on why there's no optical disc burner on these?

The DVD burner on the SD Philips/Magnavox recorders seems such a gimmie, it seems odd these new models lack something similar.
Quote:

A DVD burner wouldn't be much use on a unit that records ATSC HDTV, as a single hour of many 720p stations would fill a DVD5, and an hour on most 1080i stations wouldn't even fit. DVD9s are still pretty expensive (and in some places even more expensive than BD-Rs, despite their inferior capacity), which makes them a poor solution, too. You need to transcode to H.264 to make DVD archiving practical, and that's beyond the scope of a DVR.

I didn't say DVD. I said "optical".
post #63 of 629 Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

Any ideas on why there's no optical disc burner on these?

The DVD burner on the SD Philips/Magnavox recorders seems such a gimmie, it seems odd these new models lack something similar.
Because if they had a burner they would not be a DVR but a BD Recorder and that would jack up the price to $500. Plus, in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares about burning TV shows to disks any more -- there are too many other better options.

Actually the current machines with DVD burner are considered DVRs. Have you forgotten that?

Why would you claim having a BD burner in place of a DVD burner would make it a whole 'nother animal?

The price difference? Well, that's one answer, but if the earlier models had optical disc recorders, why not the new ones? And as for 'nobody caring about burning to optical discs any more because there are too many other options', can you suggest to me what those options are, remembering that we're talking options that allow you to shelve your stored recordings of shows and movies, alongside optical discs purchased at stores?

Please....

Do tell.
post #64 of 629 Old 11-17-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...People don't care and are not buying disk-burning boxes which is why DVD Recorders are on their last gasp and BD recorders have never been (and never will be) offered in the US.

Of course, Kelson.

That's why the current machines with both hard drive and DVD recorder have been made up to now, because nobody wants them.

Right.

Nobody wanted to record to optical disc, so naturally the machines have been figments of our imaginations. As for saying BD recorders will never be offered in the US, please tell us what temporal rift you've been peeking thru. The rest of us know all sorts of things are possible, as the ongoing production of the DVD recorders has shown.

I'm really surprised you post in threads for these machines, since you apparently don't like them.
post #65 of 629 Old 11-17-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:

All the majors pulled out of the DVD Recorder market in the US with the switch to OTA DTV because they got hosed in sales with the analog units and saw no future worth investing in by developing digital tuner versions. They ceded the market to funai -- who had their own BD recorders they could have brought into the US but didn't because they too saw no market. Nobody wants to spend $500 on a disk recorder.

It's more complicated than that, as the market for recording devices has always been smaller than the market for people who watch TV. You could also argue that the lack of interest is also what's prevented competition in the DVR business, because DVRs are far from ubiquitous, yet the myriad of copy-protection schemes present only in the US surely has also deterred companies from entering its DVR market, while countries such as Australia have a slew of DVR alternatives.
Quote:

DMCA is just a copyright law

...which is used as justification by content holders to pressure companies to abide by the precedents it sets forth. Sweeping copyright laws such as the DMCA don't come about without staunch support from industry heavyweights who have a vested interest in restricting fair use to improve their bottom lines.
post #66 of 629 Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Actually the current machines with DVD burner are considered DVRs.
Maybe that is what you wish to consider them, but they are not, never were and never will be. They are DVD recorders that have some DVR functionality. This has been hashed over and over in the DVD recorder forum -- leave it there.
Quote:

Of course, Kelson.

That's why the current machines with both hard drive and DVD recorder have been made up to now, because nobody wants them.

Nobody wanted to record to optical disc, so naturally the machines have been figments of our imaginations.
Don't be obtuse. Their time in the market place has come and gone like VCR's before them. I'm not going to argue this here. It is kicking a dead horse that was beat to death in the DVD recorder forum where its discussion belongs.
Quote:
I'm really surprised you post in threads for these machines, since you apparently don't like them.
these machines? We are posting in a thread for an HD DVR in an HDTV Recorder forum.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #67 of 629 Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
People don't care and are not buying disk-burning boxes which is why DVD Recorders are on their last gasp and BD recorders have never been (and never will be) offered in the US.
Other than what Aleron stated, between greedy Hollywood and lazy Americans (with their so called 'smart' phone embedded in one hand) that want the easy way out. DVD recorders take more effort as opposed to recording on a HDD or heaven forbid a USB stick.
The last point is seen every day here with all the ones that are trying to use USB sticks, thinking they can record endless hours of HD material. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #68 of 629 Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
DMCA is just a copyright law, not a pressure group.
But Hollywood and the MSO's are. mad.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #69 of 629 Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The ad for the Philips HDR-5750 over at Best Buy
sounds like it is already on sale.

The specs also mention USB.
post #70 of 629 Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Best Buy ads look like what Amazon is doing: taking pre-orders. The ads have very little in the way of specifications. I found an article that said they were supposed to launch in November. Possibly a good item to watch for on Black Friday (November 29) or even Black Monday (December 2). Edit: Make that Cyber Monday. It's Black Monday for me because I have to go sit for jury duty selection.

Can't wait to get one to test. Really want to see if anything recorded to the external drive can be read by a computer. If it can, that should mean you could copy to DVD or leave on the hard drive for use on an HTPC.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #71 of 629 Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found these links on ebay a couple of days ago. Looks like it is the two philips models. It doesn't say if they are pre order or are in stock. They seem overpriced so hopefully when they show up in stores they will be less expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-500gb-HD-HDD-1080p-Antenna-DVR-Digital-Video-Recorder-Wi-Fi-Streamer-/141119111449?pt=US_DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item20db5ac119

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-1TB-HD-1080p-Antenna-OTA-DVR-Digital-Video-Recorder-ATSC-Tuner-Wireless-/141119106297?pt=US_DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item20db5aacf9
post #72 of 629 Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satmann View Post

I found these links on ebay a couple of days ago. Looks like it is the two philips models. It doesn't say if they are pre order or are in stock. They seem overpriced so hopefully when they show up in stores they will be less expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-500gb-HD-HDD-1080p-Antenna-DVR-Digital-Video-Recorder-Wi-Fi-Streamer-/141119111449?pt=US_DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item20db5ac119

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-1TB-HD-1080p-Antenna-OTA-DVR-Digital-Video-Recorder-ATSC-Tuner-Wireless-/141119106297?pt=US_DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item20db5aacf9

The specs in both of these ebay items say "one built-in ATSC Tuner" so the hope for a dual tuner system seems very dim.

post #73 of 629 Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

The specs in both of these ebay items say "one built-in ATSC Tuner" so the hope for a dual tuner system seems very dim.

And that also seems to imply NO QAM support . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #74 of 629 Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD24 View Post

And that also seems to imply NO QAM support . . .

"ATSC" applies to both antenna and cable signals, so I'm still hoping.

(See my note on ATSC in post #1.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #75 of 629 Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Clear QAM is not long for this world anyway. My cable system shut it off earlier this week. I'm sure others will quickly follow. If you want to keep QAM, you better get a cable card tuner.

post #76 of 629 Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It boggles my mind that any company would even bother trying to introduce a DVR with only one tuner at > $100. For the $40 iView/Homeworx it makes sense, but any serious DVR is expected to have at least two tuners at this point. If you only have one, you barely get an advantage over using a VCR in terms of functionality.
videobruce likes this.
post #77 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 0
Is the "jury still out" on whether or not these can work with cable? Anything definitive yet?

God Bless,
-Clint
post #78 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Is the "jury still out" on whether or not these can work with cable? Anything definitive yet?

Well
I'm sure next month at this time we will know a lot about the new Magnavox or Philips HDD DVR's!!

Best Buys deal for the Philips HDR 5710 @ 249 is close to what I paid for
my Mag MDR 535 back in Jan.2013. Both with 500 GB HD's.

But I will keep going over to BB and amazon and keep clicking
to see the price and availability.
Right now BB has the best price.
Walmart. No News yet.

One of us will be the first on the block to own and test 1.
Who will it be?

Mark
cool.gif
post #79 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post

Quote:

Well
I'm sure next month at this time we will know a lot about the new Magnavox or Philips HDD DVR's!!

Walmart. No News yet.

Who will it be?

Mark
cool.gif
How about anything definitive over any extra features these may have over what we have now (535, 2160A, etc.)? Do these have a recordable HDMI input?

If you can use these to record cable, and HD cable at that, then I may be one of the first. wink.gif If not, then I'll have no interest in one. frown.gif I love my 2160A, I just want one that records HD (and who doesn't).

God Bless,
-Clint
post #80 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It boggles my mind that any company would even bother trying to introduce a DVR with only one tuner at > $100. For the $40 iView/Homeworx it makes sense, but any serious DVR is expected to have at least two tuners at this point. If you only have one, you barely get an advantage over using a VCR in terms of functionality.
Especially true with the CM-7500 on the horizon

- kelson h

post #81 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 02:16 PM

Liked: 13
I'm fearful these new Magnovox and Philips HD recorders may be "to little, to late",

When one has alternate choices like an OTA compatable, 4-tuner, 75 hour HD recorder (500GB HDD) currently selling for under $150.00 w/free delivery, it's hard to accept a 1-tuner HD recorder costing almost $300.00

I don't know what Funai and Walmart are thinking or doing, but they seem to have forgotten there are only 34 days left in the years largest shopping season. (Then again, Walmart may have an unannounced surprise coming "Black Friday". cool.gif

Fortunately, I'm strictly OTA and, like ClintS, "I love my 2160A" (all 3 of them).

post #82 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When one has alternate choices like an OTA compatable, 4-tuner, 75 hour HD recorder (500GB HDD) currently selling for under $150.00 w/free delivery, it's hard to accept a 1-tuner HD recorder costing almost $300.00
You seem to forget to add the $500 subscription fee. rolleyes.gif
And considering it's a 4 tuner model, that 500GB drive will fill up real fast.

post #83 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

Fortunately, I'm strictly OTA and, like ClintS, "I love my 2160A" (all 3 of them)
Crap. I paid $200 for my Roamio back in early September. As Bruce pointed out, you can't forget the $500 lifetime service cost which makes the total price $650. Still, $162.50 per tuner for an HD-DVR that is guaranteed to work with cable is not bad and cheaper than buying 3 DVD recorders which only record SD.

- kelson h

post #84 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM

I'm well aware of Tivo's subscription (monthly & lifetime) charges, however it's my understanding this new model Tivo (and only this model) can record OTA without a subscription. (It also has the other Tivo features (cable card, Guide, etc.) if you elect to go with a subscription).

Granted, with OTA you won't have the regular Tivo Guide, but it apparently can be programmed like a VCR (as we presently do with the current (as well as future) Magnavox/Philips units.

If up to 74 hours of HD or 500 hours of SD isn't enough, it has an eSATA output for additional remote storage. (I wonder if it will work with the recently announced WD-HDST 6TB Helium drive? ) eek.gif

In any event, I plan to stay with my 2160"s.

biggrin.gif

post #85 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

however it's my understanding this new model Tivo (and only this model) can record OTA without a subscription.

Granted, with OTA you won't have the regular Tivo Guide, but it apparently can be programmed like a VCR
I don't know where you got that from. I saw no indication of that when I was setting mine up for OTA. You can scan channels and it will function as a tuner. The 30 min buffer is active but you can't program it like a VCR and record without the service. Storage can be easily expanded by dropping in a new 2TB HDD but an external drive is limited to the 1TB WD DVR expander.

If you want to use big external drives, the CM-7500 will have 2-tuners and guide scheduling for OTA. At $250 it comes with 16GB internal and USB ports for generic USB drives up to at least 3TB.

- kelson h

post #86 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Storage can be easily expanded by dropping in a new 2TB HDD but an external drive is limited to the 1TB WD DVR expander.

Actually the Roamio can take up to a 3tb drive internally by just replacing it's standard drive. Or 4tb if one is willing to buy the drive from Weaknees that they somehow do something to it to make it work.
post #87 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:

I don't know where you got that from. I saw no indication of that when I was setting mine up for OTA. You can scan channels and it will function as a tuner. The 30 min buffer is active but you can't program it like a VCR and record without the service. Storage can be easily expanded by dropping in a new 2TB HDD but an external drive is limited to the 1TB WD DVR expander.

If you want to use big external drives, the CM-7500 will have 2-tuners and guide scheduling for OTA. At $250 it comes with 16GB internal and USB ports for generic USB drives up to at least 3TB.

I read about the OTA programming (w/o subscribtion) from buyers posts, shortly after the Roamio was introduced.
Perhaps their understanding or my memory is faulty.

Thanks for the correction & update.

post #88 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Actually the Roamio can take up to a 3tb drive internally by just replacing it's standard drive.
I wasn't sure about that for the Roamio basic. Someone has posted their experience replacing with a 2TB drive so that one I was sure of.

- kelson h

post #89 of 629 Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Only original TiVo series 1 (and possibly 2?) units had VCR functions without a subscription, and neither of them supported DTV. You need at least a series 3 for DTV, and none of those models function without a subscription, nor do any of their successors.
post #90 of 629 Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post

Quote:

Well

Walmart. No News yet.

Who will it be?

Mark
cool.gif
How about anything definitive over any extra features these may have over what we have now (535, 2160A, etc.)? Do these have a recordable HDMI input?

If you can use these to record cable, and HD cable at that, then I may be one of the first. wink.gif If not, then I'll have no interest in one. frown.gif I love my 2160A, I just want one that records HD (and who doesn't).

God Bless,
-Clint
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page