Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you have a unit in hand, then you are the only authority posting.
Why don't you post answers to some of these questions and end the speculation.
What does the thing do for recording titles? What is the default title name when scheduled? Can you edit a title name?
How does it set and maintain the clock?

I do not want to post false info. Still finding time to do testing. Preliminary findings is that one can not edit titles.
One touch recordings defaults to name of show. example i recorded by one touch the Katie Couric show for a few seconds. It saved the title as "Katie". Could not so far find a way to edit it.
I think a timer shows title will defaut to the date time and channel recorded. That is a guess so far.
Will do more testing Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg1 View Post

Quote:

What does the thing do for recording titles? What is the default title name when scheduled? Can you edit a title name?

I do not want to post false info. Still finding time to do testing. Preliminary findings is that one can not edit titles.
One touch recordings defaults to name of show. example i recorded by one touch the Katie Couric show for a few seconds. It saved the title as "Katie". Could not so far find a way to edit it.
I think a timer shows title will defaut to the date time and channel recorded. That is a guess so far.
Can you answer anything I mentioned in post 121 above? That's ridiculous not being able to give a recording a name. Everything I record (on a 2160A) just shows the channel and time, and I have to go to "Edit" to name it so I'll know what it is.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #123 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Can you answer anything I mentioned in post 121 above? That's ridiculous not being able to give a recording a name. Everything I record (on a 2160A) just shows the channel and time, and I have to go to "Edit" to name it so I'll know what it is.

He already says it picks up the show name from an OTA broadcast (mwg is OTA). Not sure yet what it does on cable.

There is no S-Video.

Check Post #1 regularly where I'm adding info as it's discovered or otherwise revealed. Also Post #2 for mwg's detailed findings, some of which I incorporate in Post #1 for people who come here from outside sites.

There's been a "SuperFW 727V" FW update available for years now that makes a 2160A operate like a 515, with pre-titling of timers so each recorded instance of shows get a title name at top of Title menu when you highlight the index pic.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #124 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

He already says it picks up the show name from an OTA broadcast (mwg is OTA). Not sure yet what it does on cable.
Right, I use cable.

Quote:
There is no S-Video.
Well that really sucks. That's a step backwards from the previous units.
Quote:
There's been a "SuperFW 727V" FW update available for years now that makes a 2160A operate like a 515, with pre-titling of timers so each recorded instance of shows get a title name at top of Title menu when you highlight the index pic.
confused.gif I already have that version installed. Evidently it only does this for OTA, it won't even add the show name for cable DTV recordings. This usually isn't a problem since I rarely save recordings, but when I occasionally do, they have to be "Edited" in order to give it the name.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #125 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

If it picks up the program name from PSIP that would be all I want. I would only want to edit the title if it only showed the date and time like the 3575/6-2160 did.
post #126 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Did a test for just you, found you CAN edit title names after they are recorded either way. Also you can protect them. This is 100% positive fact.
Do not know where it get clock setting from besides me entering in the time on initial setup.
Clint S. likes this.
post #127 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Did a test for just you, found you CAN edit title names after they are recorded either way. Also you can protect them. This is 100% positive fact.
Do not know where it get clock setting from besides me entering in the time on initial setup.

Manual mentions Auto Clock, but only in ref. to "If you have Auto Clock On" (or Off), ....

Manual also mentions an "On-Screen Keyboard" for one menu, so it's possible other menus have keyboard for stuff.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #128 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I already have that version installed. Evidently it only does this for OTA, it won't even add the show name for cable DTV recordings. This usually isn't a problem since I rarely save recordings, but when I occasionally do, they have to be "Edited" in order to give it the name.

The super firmware doesn't automatically add the program name, you have to manually edit the title to do that OTA or cable.
post #129 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
confused.gif I already have that version installed. Evidently it only does this for OTA, it won't even add the show name for cable DTV recordings. This usually isn't a problem since I rarely save recordings, but when I occasionally do, they have to be "Edited" in order to give it the name.

Well then, you've been wasting your time adding titles after the fact on timer recordings. You pre-title in the timer menu by entering a timer program, then re-entering and selecting the 3rd option "Edit Title Name," as described in this help file.

You can also add a title name on timers already set up, as described in the help file.

post #130 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info. wink.gif

God Bless,
-Clint
post #131 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well then, you've been wasting your time adding titles after the fact on timer recordings. You pre-title in the timer menu by entering a timer program, then re-entering and selecting the 3rd option "Edit Title Name," as described in this help file.

You can also add a title name on timers already set up, as described in the help file.
It's not wasting time because you still have to manually "punch-in" a name, but that's good to know it can be done pre-recording. I can't believe I never noticed that before! Wow. tongue.gif Thanks.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #132 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. wink.gif

Here is a pic of menu to change titles. The title names in the center where automatically entered (not by me). I have OTA in WI.

videobruce likes this.
post #133 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's not wasting time because you still have to manually "punch-in" a name, but that's good to know it can be done pre-recording. I can't believe I never noticed that before! Wow. tongue.gif Thanks.

Wasting time titling every recorded instance of a show, rather than one time in timer program.

post #134 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Wasting time titling every recorded instance of a show, rather than one time in timer program.
I don't follow you there. Are you saying it will remember you naming that recording so you won't have to ever do it again the following times?

I think I may see what you're saying: If it's a consistent program and time, and if you just leave the timed recording there all the time. ? But that's rarely ever the case. Every program I record; the networks insist on jacking up the season with BS reruns so each time I have to check to see if it's new (or if it's even airing).

God Bless,
-Clint
post #135 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't follow you there. Are you saying it will remember you naming that recording so you won't have to ever do it again the following times?

I think I may see what you're saying: If it's a consistent program and time, and if you just leave the timed recording there all the time. ? But that's rarely ever the case. Every program I record; the networks insist on jacking up the season with BS reruns so each time I have to check to see if it's new (or if it's even airing).

Yes, as long as you're setting timers, you expect those shows to repeat so auto-titling seems like a no-brainer. Even a one-time show timer-recorded can have an auto name unless that show isn't "worth the trouble". i.e., you prob. wouldn't name a one-time show anyway, either before or after recording?

post #136 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 176
mwg1;
You have a PM.
How far are you from Madison? Have you found your physical, 'in the clear' CATV channels yet? If not have to tried the local reception thread for you market?

Quote:
There is no S-Video.
Quote:
Well that really sucks. That's a step backwards from the previous units.
That is no surprise. Unfortunately, there isn't a need for that anymore with equipment manufactured in the past 5 or so years. Look at component. That's much more recent and those inputs/outputs are pretty much gone. Thank the CEA and HDMI for that. mad.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #137 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, as long as you're setting timers, you expect those shows to repeat so auto-titling seems like a no-brainer. Even a one-time show timer-recorded can have an auto name unless that show isn't "worth the trouble". i.e., you prob. wouldn't name a one-time show anyway, either before or after recording?
Right, like I mentioned, I never bother naming them unless I'm going to keep them for a while. For one example (in both cases), I've been saving "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD" so I have to manually name them, but, once again they are skipping a frickin' week so that's another show where you can't leave it set. I haven't looked into "Skip" yet, but I'm assuming once you find out a network is screwing fans again, you can check "Skip" and it will not record. Then when you find out it's back, set it back again.

God Bless,
-Clint
post #138 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

:D

mwg1 is supplying pics (Attachments) that I'm converting to AVS format in-post images.

I've added quite a few lately. I'm not titling each one since I think they're self-explanatory (at this early stage, at least).

Check them out in Post #2 here.

Keep checking Post #1 and #2 where I'm trying to assimilate the most important info for ease of ref.

post #139 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 100

I give credit to Funai for having a manual clock setting, something many other DVR manufactures have omitted and has led to their demise.

post #140 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I give credit to Funai for having a manual clock setting, something many other DVR manufactures have omitted and has led to their demise.

It's also nice that firmware updates are via the internet. Time via PSIP is not always reliable, so I've heard. Cable with no PSIP could be an issue for some people. Access to some web sites is easier with a USB keyboard. No mention of time via NTP was made in the manual.

post #141 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:

Yes, this is a major feature missing from several current models, but it's too bad that the price on these is so much higher just to get one feature that is so basic it's inexcusable for it to be missing on even the cheapest DVR.
post #142 of 637 Old 11-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I connected my old CECB box a couple of weeks ago and the PSIP time was the worst I have ever seen it. It seemed to be at random from several hours slow to many hours in the future. Even the minutes were no where near correct. It reminded me of old alarm clocks that started at 12:00 when plugged in and proceed from that point. If this unit gets title information from PSIP, I wonder if the manual clock set overrides the PSIP time on the guide. When the clock is so completely incorrect that makes the guide useless anyway. The CECB box was showing "current show" as what would be on in the evening or was on several hours ago.
post #143 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post

I connected my old CECB box a couple of weeks ago and the PSIP time was the worst I have ever seen it. It seemed to be at random from several hours slow to many hours in the future. Even the minutes were no where near correct. It reminded me of old alarm clocks that started at 12:00 when plugged in and proceed from that point. If this unit gets title information from PSIP, I wonder if the manual clock set overrides the PSIP time on the guide. When the clock is so completely incorrect that makes the guide useless anyway. The CECB box was showing "current show" as what would be on in the evening or was on several hours ago.

These have an Auto Clock ON and OFF setting, so OFF should be running with a manual clock.

post #144 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post

Devices that set their clock via PSIP generally "refresh" the time every time you change the channel. For whatever reason, many stations don't particularly care about the accuracy of their PSIP clock so if you live in a very bad market, you can see the time jump around as you surf the channels. Obviously a DVR with a bad clock is pretty much useless.

Another problem comes from the design of the devices. A device that is designed to have it's clock time refreshed from an external source on a regular basis will not be designed with a robust clock circuit that will maintain an accurate time over a "long" period of several days. You may have seen posts in the other thread about people soldering trimming capacitors on the motherboard to tune the clock circuit and minimize the amount of time that is lost. What remains to be seen is whether or not this unit can utilize an Internet time signal. There is no excuse for an Internet connected device to not have a dependably accurate clock, especially something like a DVR whose function depends on a continuously accurate clock.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #145 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

First user has supplied more info... see bottom of Post #2:

Cable channel scan got both analog and digital channels.

Linux saw the HDD but not his two recorded titles.... more research to come.

Linux Users:

Please check out the "License" pic in Post #2, just above the latest two info on channel scan and Linux, and see if that gives a clue on what Linux or open-source components might be needed to read the files on the HDD... I'm hoping that 1st line provides a big part of the OS elements!?

post #146 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Can we assume the tuner scans analog and digital channels one after another, eg channel 2, then 2.1, 2.2, then 3, etc.(like most TVs) as apposed to the hybrid tuner on the Magnavox DVDRs where all the digital and all the analogs are scanned separately?

post #147 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Can we assume the tuner scans analog and digital channels one after another, eg channel 2, then 2.1, 2.2, then 3, etc.(like most TVs) as apposed to the hybrid tuner on the Magnavox DVDRs where all the digital and all the analogs are scanned separately?

Yes, it tunes in numerical sequence... no "switch" required.

I'm going yo add that to Post #2.

post #148 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

They were one after the other (ex 2, then 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3 ....etc ). No switching between analog/digital needed.
post #149 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

They were one after the other (ex 2, then 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3 ....etc ). No switching between analog/digital needed.
Have you actually recorded an analog channel yet?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #150 of 637 Old 11-29-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

New pic added to Post #2 showing Auto Clock setting menu, which allows user to Search for a time signal (which it also uses for initial setup) or enter a specific channel, like in our SD DVDR "11:57 Procedure."

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page