Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97

I guess that means no internet-based time source. That's a shame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137

I wouldn't give up on that yet... Auto Clock menu pic covers other options... my glass half-full still.

post #153 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Devices that set their clock via PSIP generally "refresh" the time every time you change the channel. For whatever reason, many stations don't particularly care about the accuracy of their PSIP clock so if you live in a very bad market, you can see the time jump around as you surf the channels. Obviously a DVR with a bad clock is pretty much useless.

Yes, it was always obvious that the time changed every time I changed the channel on any device that uses PSIP time. One unique problem here is that the Juarez stations do not even try to set the time. Most are completely random and at least one is always 12:00 AM. If one happens to surf by one of the channels from across the river the device picks up on that time setting. I believe that may explain why the El Paso stations have completely given up on setting the clock.
post #154 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

:D

New pics added to Post #2 showing Linux screens and recording Error when trying to record an analog cable channel (tunes but won't record).

post #155 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

Have you actually recorded an analog channel yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

New pics added to Post #2 showing Linux screens and recording Error when trying to record an analog cable channel (tunes but won't record).

Exactly why I asked the question. In order to record an analog channel the unit would need an encoder and there would be an option in the setup menu to specify the quality of the encoding. No need for an encoder in a DVR that is targeted at digital TV.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #156 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I'm surprised that they bothered to include an NTSC tuner at all.
post #157 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Multiple tuners in the chip are a hold-over from the transition so they may not have had a choice with the tuner they selected. However they could have simply disabled the analog function in firmware rather than set themselves up for all the complaints because it won't record analog. I believe that is what HomeWorx did.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #158 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, looking at the images in the second post, the inclusion of "lua-slncrypto" leads me to speculate that the recordings are indeed encrypted. That particular library seems to be abandoned, though, as the latest version I can find is slncrypto 1.1 from 2006.
post #159 of 631 Old 11-29-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Also, looking at the images in the second post, the inclusion of "lua-slncrypto" leads me to speculate that the recordings are indeed encrypted. That particular library seems to be abandoned, though, as the latest version I can find is slncrypto 1.1 from 2006.
That fits with external devices having to be "registered" and being limited to 8 devices.

- kelson h

post #160 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Can we get him to open the damn thing up and take some detailed close ups w/o a flash?

Where on earth is this machine located?? confused.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #161 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you very much for posting all the detailed information including the user manual. I now know that I can order this unit confident that it is just what I am looking for.

post #162 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinf4me View Post

Thank you very much for posting all the detailed information including the user manual. I now know that I can order this unit confident that it is just what I am looking for.

Glad to hear you might be getting one of these.

Please let us know how it works for you!

post #163 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Can we get him to open the damn thing up and take some detailed close ups w/o a flash?

Where on earth is this machine located?? confused.gif

I am located in Wisconsin at zip code 54968. I my use OTA out of Green Bay, WI. The cable I connected to was also at 54968 and is Charter cable. It is coax out of the wall with no cable box.
post #164 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #165 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 28
Does it have a clock on the front with numbers large enough to see across the room?smile.gif
post #166 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

mwg1;
I was referring to the building. wink.gif
Reminds me of the cheapening of their SD DVR/HD recorder last fall by downsizing the HDD to a 2 1/2" and scaling back on the PS. It surely looks like a full size drive was originally planned and can probably fit. They mount the drive the same lame way TiVo does (or muse to). Screwed in from the bottom forcing you to remove the entire plate to remove the drive.

Thanks for the pics. Now how about removing that metal plate that covers up the meat & potatoes so we can see the business side? Looks like four screws and that dual connector to the drive should do it.

Panasonic MN864707KF is the HDMI chip and a mystery chip; MJPE26090A2. Also note the yellow 4 pin connector labeled "KEY" (serial port?) and the missing connector next to it. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #167 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A question for those interested in these machines who are also computer saavy.

I've been told these machines, if using an external hard drive, will store the recordings in Linux format mpeg 2.

Aren't mpeg 2 files the same, no matter what operating system you're using?

If you took the external drive and plugged it into a running Windows computer, would the Windows OS be able to read the mpeg 2 files and play them using appropriate video playing software? Or, maybe, do OTHER things with the video files?
post #168 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

mwg1;
Reminds me of the cheapening of their SD DVR/HD recorder last fall by downsizing the HDD to a 2 1/2" .....
Is there any scientific data anywhere that indicates that a 2 1/2" drive is in any way inferior to a 3 1/2" drive?
post #169 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I've been told these machines, if using an external hard drive, will store the recordings in Linux format mpeg 2.

Aren't mpeg 2 files the same, no matter what operating system you're using?

If you took the external drive and plugged it into a running Windows computer, would the Windows OS be able to read the mpeg 2 files and play them using appropriate video playing software? Or, maybe, do OTHER things with the video files?

It isn't that the files are "Linux MPEG-2". The disk is formatted to the ext filesystem, which is used by Linux, as opposed to a Windows filesystem, such as FAT32 or NTFS. Older versions of Windows cannot read ext disks without special drivers, but newer Windows versions may be able to. Even if you manage to read the disk, though, it seems that you can't do anything with the recordings. All indications thus far are that recordings are encrypted, so these units are useless for everything but the "watch and delete" viewing pattern.
post #170 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

Does it have a clock on the front with numbers large enough to see across the room?smile.gif

There is only a white light when it is on and a red light when it is recording.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #171 of 631 Old 11-30-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
From the posted pics, does this box appear to use a Panasonic tuner? Or am I mistaken? I know my Panasonic plasma TV has a very good tuner. I will watch to see when this model shows up at Best Buy or Walmart. But I am mainly waiting for the 7500 box from Channel Master to appear.
post #172 of 631 Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is there any scientific data anywhere that indicates that a 2 1/2" drive is in any way inferior to a 3 1/2" drive?
1. A higher failure rate in Laptops due to heat buildup and motion,
2. Smaller drives, smaller components, more delicate,
3. Capacity limitations due to size,
4. Price per GB is more, especially with larger capacity drives,
5. Better selection of full size drives,
6. No space limitation here for a need of a smaller drive.

post #173 of 631 Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I still can't get over the fact the Funai releases a single -tuner device that uses PSIP for recording in an era of 6-tuner devices. For $250+ it should have at least two, and maybe even offer an optional paid guide service like Channel Master did with their last dvr. Might as well buy one of those "hobbyist" devices that Amazon sells for $40. If the Echostar/CM device ever comes out, this recorder will be dead in the water.
post #174 of 631 Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I still can't get over the fact the Funai releases a single -tuner device that uses PSIP for recording in an era of 6-tuner devices.
Doesn't use PSIP for recording, only for titling. No guide. Scheduled recording is VCR-style -- manually setting date-time-channel like their other recorders.

The CM-7500 should be out in Q1 2014. The firmware is in beta testing & revision now.

- kelson h

post #175 of 631 Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Doesn't use PSIP for recording, only for titling. No guide. Scheduled recording is VCR-style -- manually setting date-time-channel like their other recorders.

WOW, what a joke! After using TVGOS on my Panny DVD-recorder, then using a Dish DVR and now a Tivo, I wouldn't ever go back to the 80's to schedule a recording.
post #176 of 631 Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Guess I will have to get my VBT-200 back out. biggrin.gif (Look at the photo under my use name)

Doesn't surprise me. Funai is behind the times as evident wit their DVD/DVR. The very few changes with the current line says it all. I wonder if Allen from ePVision had something to do with it? wink.gif

post #177 of 631 Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There has been a bit of discussion around recording programs, but I've seen nothing about how these units perform as DVR's for live TV. Could the people who have these units in hand please comment on the live-TV DVR functions and features.

Is there a live-TV channel buffer?
If so, what is the live-TV channel buffer length?
Are there the normal trick-play functions for live-TV (pause live-TV, rewind in buffer, etc)?
Can the live-TV buffer for a program be captured from the program's start if a record is initiated or does recording start at real time?
What can the unit do besides record like a digital VCR?

The unit cannot record an analog channel presumably because it was designed as a digital-TV recorder and has no encoder. So what does that mean for watching a live analog program -- it may tune the channel, but if it can't record analog then it can't spool or buffer it to the HDD for DVR trickplay functions?

Can you use the unit to chase-play a recording in progress? Can you watch a recorded program while it records another?

How about the owners giving some first-hand info.

- kelson h

post #178 of 631 Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

There has been a bit of discussion around recording programs, but I've seen nothing about how these units perform as DVR's for live TV. Could the people who have these units in hand please comment on the live-TV DVR functions and features.

How about the owners giving some first-hand info.

Kelson
Which stores are actually selling the Philips HDR 5750/F7
or HDR 5710/F7.
BestBuy is the only one as of 10 am EST.12-2-13.
My order ,as I guess, has been sitting at the Doraville center since 11-28-13 !!
Late 12-4-13 is est. delivery.{UPS}

BestBuy says I could still be the 1st to write a Review on Either Model !!

Mark
rolleyes.gif
post #179 of 631 Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Psuedo-PLTV (Pause Live TV)

The 5710/5750 do not have "Autostart Recording" so there's no buffer to use for PLTV. User-1 says that, when watching live TV through the Philips tuner, if he presses PAUSE, it does nothing.... just keeps displaying the live show.

Nevertheless, these units DO have a feature I'm calling "Pseudo-PLTV."

If you're watching live TV thru this unit's tuner and have to go, you can press REC and the unit starts recording what you're watching from that point in time. When you return, you can press PLAY to start Chase Play from the Rec point... all while it's still recording.

While Chase Playing, you can press any play-mode button, but don't press STOP 2X in a row unless you want to stop the recording.

If you take longer than expected and the recording has stopped by itself (see max. rec times below), that recording will be saved to the HDD for watching anytime you want.

Starting the Rec:

1. Manual rec (press REC) - For short-term absence, press REC once.

2. Manual-timed rec ("One-Touch") - For longer-term absence, press REC multiple times to add rec time in 15 minute increments, up to 4 hours, to cover expected end of show... go long

Stopping the Rec:

Press STOP 1X to stop playback if chase playing. Press STOP 2X in a row to stop the recording if you're there and care. OR let it run and it'll stop recording after 4 hours (max. manual-timed rec time) or 8 hours (max. manual rec time).

When recording stops, unit auto-saves to HDD, so if gone awhile, you'll have a recorded title to watch anytime and see what you missed.

post #180 of 631 Old 12-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg1 View Post

I bought Philips HDR5710/F7 at Bestbuy.com. I registered an external usb hard drive, recorded to it and was able to copy/move what I recorded back and forth to the units internal hard drive. When I connected the same external usb hard drive to my computer (windows 7 64-bit), it does not recognize the drive.

Can you play back directly from the external HD or do you have to transfer content back to the internal ?

I got lost in all the grousing. I get that the Philips will not burn to an external disc. It also seems that it lacks an optical drive for playback only. Is that correct? That is not a deal breaker because it is not the only recorder in my stack. My Magnavox recorders can also playback my DVDs. I think an optical drive would be a good feature for many people who only want one device.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread - Hdr5710 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page