Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 610 Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This wireless module is strange (AboCom WM5504). The location on a the extension of the PS board which is mostly empty under a shielded plate. confused.gif Really screwy design to say the least.
We won't really know anything until what is under that plate gets removed.

.LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 610 Old 12-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just tried to place an online order for a Philips 5750 at Best Buy and they told me my Rewards Certificate had been used previously. I know that is wrong because I have not purchased anything since the purchase that earned me the points. I tried to call and was told the expected wait time would be 20 minutes.

I will wait for Amazon to match or beat the price at Worst Buy. How I hate Worst Buy.

I checked the Walmart site and only found the older Magnavox. Any other stores carrying the new Philips. NO EBAY!!!
post #183 of 610 Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys,
like a few others, i have ordered the philips hdr5710 from best buy.
Presently On back order.
Thats fine.

Can someone who has a unit at home please comment on the internet services?
Specifically the NET TV functions.
This is a Philips app.

Also, any other internet functions to mention?

Thanks
Michael
post #184 of 610 Old 12-02-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

I just tried to place an online order for a Philips 5750 at Best Buy and they told me my Rewards Certificate had been used previously. I know that is wrong because I have not purchased anything since the purchase that earned me the points. I tried to call and was told the expected wait time would be 20 minutes.

I will wait for Amazon to match or beat the price at Worst Buy. How I hate Worst Buy.

I checked the Walmart site and only found the older Magnavox. Any other stores carrying the new Philips. NO EBAY!!!

I haven't found it listed anywhere except those places I listed in Post #1... I keep looking though!

post #185 of 610 Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 PM

Might order one in a few weeks. Wondering have or has anyone that has this box gave a usb mouse or keyboard a try to see if it works for say searching on youtube and such. O ise to only use Linux and wonder how hard this box would be to add things to it such as internet browser and other stream sites like filmon so on. Heck you could even run skype to it if a usb mic or usb webcam with mic could be added to the code for the box. Even say add code for bluetooth usb adapter.
post #186 of 610 Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Don't hold your breath on cable card. Anything in that price range better have 2 tuners and at least PSIP guide capability. Anyone who wants a single tuner box that programs like a VCR can buy an iView or HomeWorx for $50.

Did you also notice the lack of a TV volume control on the remote.

Unfortunately, those Iview and Homeworx units are quite buggy. Hard drives cost extra.

If these units work reliably, I will gladly pay the price.  Beats the cost of cable any day.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #187 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

Can you play back directly from the external HD or do you have to transfer content back to the internal ?

One can play back or record to either the external HD or the internal HD, users choice via menu.
post #188 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #189 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

:D

While Amazon still shows "Temporarily out of stock," they've reduced their prices:

5710 for $209.34.

5750 for $252.30.

:D 

post #190 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 43
Is the right DVR for my inlaws? Think Fred and Wilma. These people have an antenna in their attic, but do not know it. They have a single HDTV attached to that antenna. They'd like to be able to pause, rewind, and fast forward programs and, occasionally record stuff. Is this a good fit for them?
post #191 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

Is the right DVR for my inlaws? Think Fred and Wilma. These people have an antenna in their attic, but do not know it. They have a single HDTV attached to that antenna. They'd like to be able to pause, rewind, and fast forward programs and, occasionally record stuff. Is this a good fit for them?

From all we know now, it appears that it would be a good fit for their needs. They could record from their antenna pretty easily and play the named titles back whenever they wanted. The more exotic stuff could come later... or never, depending on your availability for technical support ? :D

post #192 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 04:59 PM

170 bucks with my Prime subscription, after signing up for an Amazon card (no annual fee).

Nobody here's going to be able to provide any real further info, or get theirs much before me.  My Mag SD OTA DVR has been chugging along faithfully for over two years.  It has just about changed my life, and saved many hundreds in cable bills.

Done and DONE!  The new unit's back-ordered.

Happy Holidays to Me!

ANYthing but Cable!
post #193 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post

170 bucks with my Prime subscription, after signing up for an Amazon card (no annual fee).

Nobody here's going to be able to provide any real further info, or get theirs much before me.  My Mag SD OTA DVR has been chugging along faithfully for two years.  It has changed my life, and saved many hundreds in cable bills.

Done and DONE!  The new unit's back-ordered.

Happy Holidays to Me!

Congrats on your awesome Amazon deal! A 5710 I presume?

Are you getting it delivered via drone!?

post #194 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Congrats on your awesome Amazon deal! A 5710 I presume?

Are you getting it delivered via drone!?

With the ability to add more drive space, I figured "Why?"  So it's a 5710.  My old machine never ran out of space.  I just watch and delete.  Besides, there's a brand new 1TB drive hiding on the back-room shelf.

I hope they don't Drone the thing.  Drones are noisy, and the neighbors own GUNS!.

ANYthing but Cable!
post #195 of 610 Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM

I pulled the trigger on the 5750 (1t) at BB for $300. I'll get 10% Discover cash back and probably some best buy rewards too. Seems like a good deal. If it isn't, I'll return it and wait on the Channel Master k77.
post #196 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:

From all we know now...could come later... or never...depending on your availability for technical support ? biggrin.gif
Parts of me are shriveling up reading this...
post #197 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reserved
post #198 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Is the right DVR for my inlaws? Think Fred and Wilma.
Can Fred and Wilma program a VCR?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #199 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Can Fred and Wilma program a VCR?

:D good point! Anyone remember the running joke about the majority of VCR owners with flashing 12:00 on their VCRs.....

It sure would have been nice if this DVR had at least  PSIP programming, I mean my iView 3500 is very basic(and cheap at <$40) but even it has PSIP click to program....wonder why Philips didn't include such a feature?

post #200 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

:D good point! Anyone remember the running joke about the majority of VCR owners with flashing 12:00 on their VCRs.....

It sure would have been nice if this DVR had at least  PSIP programming, I mean my iView 3500 is very basic(and cheap at <$40) but even it has PSIP click to program....wonder why Philips didn't include such a feature?

That's strange. I thought it could use the PSIP for the clock???

post #201 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I was talking about using PSIP to program the timer, yes I believe the Philips can use PSIP to set the clock. The VCR 12:00 statement was just pointing to the fact that the majority of people couldn't even set their VCR clock, let alone get into the programming screens. I guess at least with the Philips the clock would be set, but the customer would still have to navigate the ON/OFF/Channel screens, something that most people on AVS would have no issue with, but not sure about Joe Six Pack or Fred and Wilma :D

post #202 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I was talking about using PSIP to program the timer, yes I believe the Philips can use PSIP to set the clock. The VCR 12:00 statement was just pointing to the fact that the majority of people couldn't even set their VCR clock, let alone get into the programming screens. I guess at least with the Philips the clock would be set, but the customer would still have to navigate the ON/OFF/Channel screens, something that most people on AVS would have no issue with, but not sure about Joe Six Pack or Fred and Wilma :D

I got it. I wish they used the network for the clock. Since I have no PSIP on my (non-Comcast) cable it sort of makes this a bad buy for me. I still use my 515H for three shows every week. You can't expect too much for $210 though. I hope Funai makes out well with these units.

post #203 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on the 5750 (1t) at BB for $300. I'll get 10% Discover cash back and probably some best buy rewards too. Seems like a good deal. If it isn't, I'll return it and wait on the Channel Master k77.

I'm "revisiting" this because I belatedly noticed in your original post on "Fred and Wilma" that they'd like to "pause, rewind, and fast forward programs and, occasionally record stuff."

In the first part of that, where you said "programs," if by that you mean the typical Pause Live TV, where you press Pause on a live TV show, you then can rewind the live show because it's already been recorded to a temp. buffer in the background, it appears this Philips 5710 doesn't have that. It has what I'm calling "Pseudo-PLTV" as explained in this post. This feature is still being "investigated" by User-1.

Of course, they CAN certainly pause, rewind, FF recorded programs in the normal manner.

post #204 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
 It has what I'm calling "Pseudo-PLTV" as explained in this post. This feature is still being "investigated" by User-1.

Thats how the PLTV works on my iView, it only starts recording live TV after pushing REC or by pushing the PAUSE button. I also don't think one can save the PLTV but I could be wrong, I've never tried it. Personally I think thats OK, gives my HDD a rest if I'm not actually using it, unlike my Tivo where it's always recording the last 1/2 hr and the HDD always spins. The Tivo method does come in handy at times so I can see advantages of both methods.

post #205 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I believe I read you can set the clock manually, which you will probably have to do since PSIP time is notoriously erratic. Remains to be seen how stable the manual clock is towards drift.

Single tuner
no guide
VCR style manual programming
an now, no buffer for pause-Live TV or trickplay

wow, what were they thinking with this?
It's a real stretch to call this a DVR.
It really looks like a digital VCR.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #206 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thats how the PLTV works on my iView, it only starts recording live TV after pushing REC or by pushing the PAUSE button. I also don't think one can save the PLTV but I could be wrong, I've never tried it. Personally I think thats OK, gives my HDD a rest if I'm not actually using it, unlike my Tivo where it's always recording the last 1/2 hr and the HDD always spins. The Tivo method does come in handy at times so I can see advantages of both methods.

On the Philips DVR it auto saves and auto titles it for you (PLTV)
artisticimaging likes this.
post #207 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm glad the new recorder uses manual programming (VCR method). Approximately half the OTA stations in town do not have any PSIP or EPG data at all.

Some that have the time displayed are inaccurate. Strange, the programming is "on-time."
post #208 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Believe it or not:

5710 for $239.99 @ Nebraska Furniture Mart

(I know nothing about them.)

biggrin.gif

I ordered something from them a few years ago. No problems at all.
post #209 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been feeling "yucky" about this machine because there's no way to offload recordings and store them on media. (No, external hard drives don't count, especially when what's on them can't be read by a computer and put to use.)

Now that I hear you can't do "pause live TV", this machine is looking less and less like a replacement for the Maggie (and Phillips) DVR/DVDrecorder machines we're more familiar with.
post #210 of 610 Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Philips HDR 5710 arrived at
6:30 pm est 12-4-2013

I think it picked up 61 channels.
I need to edit the channels.

It did read the Western Digital 2 TB
fairly quickly.I will just average the time by hours.

HDD
54 Hr in HD
225 Hr in SD

USB WD
218 Hr.in HD
901 Hr in SD

I keep trying to get it to pick up my AT&T WiFi !!

Mark
smile.gif
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Philips Hdr5710 F7 Digital Video Recorder Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page