Cisco Explorer 8642hdc external drive issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

I have a Cisco Explorer 8642hdc with a WD 1TB My Book expander connected. 

Until recently, this had been working without issue for months.

Last week the channel guide stopped working and wouldn't show any info more than a day or two ahead, so the bottom line is I needed to reboot the STB.

Once I rebooted the STB, only a few of the programs saved on the external drive are showing. 

I tried rebooting without the external drive connected and the DVR list showed only what is saved on the internal drive, then rebooted with the drive attached and it shows a few things on there but not everything.

Seems strange that it's finding the drive and a few things on it, but not everything?

Anyone have any ideas?  Is there some way to force the STB to scan the external drive for content? 

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM

You may have already fixed this as I just got into the forum.  For what it's worth:

I had a similar problem when a service tech disconnected and reconnected the 8652HDC DVR and expander HD in the wrong order.

The DVR should always be unplugged from power before the HD and the HD plugged in before the DVR.  Allow 15 - 20 sec. before starting to plug them back in.  Oh, and verify the ESATA cable is connected at both ends before  powering up.

After completing the power-up, don't touch the DVR, it should reboot by itself.  You may have to wait 5 min. or so until the time is displayed.  When the time is displayed, turn the DVR on after turning on the TV.  You want to see any messages referring to the HD.

If the DVR shows a message that it recognizes the external HD and will work with it, continue on.

Try your DVR list again and see if you can access all of your programs.  If not you can try the power cycle and reboot again, or, take a big chance.

As I said, I had the service tech problem and could not see the list of my recorded shows even though the external HD was recognized.  After a couple of power cycles, I gave up and with power connected to both, but the DVR turned off, I disconnected and reconnected the ESATA cable.  Voila! All my recording were back.  This is not a step to be taken lightly, but I figured I had lost every thing anyways.

Here's the link for the User manual for the 8642HDC:  http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/settop_8642HDC.html

post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM

In a phone call in May2014, I was told by a tech support agent from Cox Communications, that attaching and using an EXTERNAL hard drive was supported ONLY if I subscribed to the MUCH more expensive "Contour" service package. I have NOT verified this support rep's statement from a second source (which was the reason I came to avsforum...to see if I could confirm his statement. I could neither validate nor invalidate his statement).

I was also told "Contour" was about $50 PER MONTH more expensive than the service level I currently have (Advanced TV, Preferred Internet, with set-top unit Cisco Explorer8642HDC, and I have verified the DVR INTERNAL hard drive is working). I can't imagine anyone paying $50 per MONTH (that's about $600 per year) JUST to add the ability to support the USER adding his or her own external hard drive via the eSATA connector. In my opinion, by bundling firmware/software support for an external drive with such an expensive tier of service, Cox is missing a huge opportunity. Since the user is supplying the physical external drive, and the firmware is already available that supports it, Cox enabling this feature (a simple bit-flip on the Cox customer account server) shouldn't cost the user ANYTHING, and doing so would create a huge amount of customer good-will and likely more recommendations to others re: Cox vs. competitors.
(btw, I should have also asked but didn't (but will post here a separate question) as to whether adding support for an external hard drive will "zero-out" the cable programs that a customer currently already has stored on the internal hard drive (e.g. it might clear out the directories/folders so as to make the internal + external hard drives logically "look" to the DVR like one single contiguous hard drive.) That is irregardless of whether the info from the tech support rep re: requiring "Contour" package was incorrect (and one CAN connect an external hard drive with moving to the more expensive "Contour" package), or even IF one was to add the "Contour" package level and one then adds an external drive). Either way, the risk to existing programs already stored on the internal hard drive MAY be there.)
post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonized View Post

In a phone call in May2014, I was told by a tech support agent from Cox Communications, that attaching and using an EXTERNAL hard drive was supported ONLY if I subscribed to the MUCH more expensive "Contour" service package. I have NOT verified this support rep's statement from a second source (which was the reason I came to avsforum...to see if I could confirm his statement. I could neither validate nor invalidate his statement).

I was also told "Contour" was about $50 PER MONTH more expensive than the service level I currently have (Advanced TV, Preferred Internet, with set-top unit Cisco Explorer8642HDC, [...snip]

Your 8642HDC already uses the Trio (Contour) software. [Note the "Contour" in the bottom left corner of the guide section.]

For tech help, contact cox.help@cox.com
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Thanks. I assume you are implying that it should support attaching an external hard drive, and I may end up trying it.

One should keep in mind that the tech rep's wording I referenced was in the context that simply attaching a hard drive would not work as he stipulated it still required additional actual subscription to the more expensive "Contour" service package for Cox to actually flip the "support bit" on attaching the external hard drive. Unfortunately, just because the firmware can supports something doesn't automatically mean they "enable" the feature. They can do the former without doing the latter on some features.

However, I'm also trying to get an assurance that trying/testing to attach an external hard drive via the eSATA port won't delete the already saved shows on the internal hard drive. Worst case I could go ahead and try it anyway and risk losing the approximately 20 hours of already saved shows, but that wouldn't be my preferred result. (see post
1531671/risk-to-saved-shows-add-user-owned-ext-hard-drive-via-esata-port-of-explorer-8642hdc

I plan to post here later IF I try it and it works. (note: the Cox online support documents also say one should first obtain a list of "approved" hard drives before attaching to the 8642HDC. That may simply be boiler-plate "requirements" but it may also require specific formatting, have a max total capacity limitation, etc.(For example, some interfaces don't support drives larger than 2TB regardless of how it's formatted/partitioned))
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonized View Post

Thanks. I assume you are implying that it should support attaching an external hard drive, and I may end up trying it.

One should keep in mind that the tech rep's wording I referenced was in the context that simply attaching a hard drive would not work as he stipulated it still required additional actual subscription to the more expensive "Contour" service package for Cox to actually flip the "support bit" on attaching the external hard drive. Unfortunately, just because the firmware can supports something doesn't automatically mean they "enable" the feature. They can do the former without doing the latter on some features.

However, I'm also trying to get an assurance that trying/testing to attach an external hard drive via the eSATA port won't delete the already saved shows on the internal hard drive. Worst case I could go ahead and try it anyway and risk losing the approximately 20 hours of already saved shows, but that wouldn't be my preferred result. (see post
1531671/risk-to-saved-shows-add-user-owned-ext-hard-drive-via-esata-port-of-explorer-8642hdc

I plan to post here later IF I try it and it works. (note: the Cox online support documents also say one should first obtain a list of "approved" hard drives before attaching to the 8642HDC. That may simply be boiler-plate "requirements" but it may also require specific formatting, have a max total capacity limitation, etc.(For example, some interfaces don't support drives larger than 2TB regardless of how it's formatted/partitioned))

Again, for the straight poop, try cox.help@cox.com

They will steer you in the right direction.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page