Official Tablo thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #301 of 685 Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Haven't saw any comment from the manufacturer lately and wondering if they have an aproximate release date for the 4 tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 685 Old 04-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by informel View Post

Haven't saw any comment from the manufacturer lately and wondering if they have an aproximate release date for the 4 tuners.

ETA is May. If you sign up at www.TabloTV.com/stay-in-touch we'll send you an email when it's ready.

post #303 of 685 Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

ETA is May. If you sign up at www.TabloTV.com/stay-in-touch we'll send you an email when it's ready.

I think I did, but just to be sure, I'll do it again
Brgds Yves
post #304 of 685 Old 04-17-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

When will we be able to pre-order to lock in a first batch unit?
post #305 of 685 Old 04-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
question for the tablo support guy. is that approx 10 second delay when changing/tuning channels something that can be shortened or eliminated? that delay is the biggest drawback i can see so far. thanks.
post #306 of 685 Old 04-20-2014, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

question for the tablo support guy. is that approx 10 second delay when changing/tuning channels something that can be shortened or eliminated? that delay is the biggest drawback i can see so far. thanks.

It's going to be tough because the Tablo is designed to buffer new channels in order to prevent skipping or other issues while watching. I did run a quick test this morning that may help some. I selected one channel, let it buffer, and then it started playing (took about 15 sec). Then I selected another channel, let it buffer, and it started playing (same amount of time). Finally, I switched back to the first channel. That came up in 1-2 sec. Once a channel has been buffered, it will come up almost immediately.

So for people that want to use the Tablo to skip between several channels, the four tuner model will be the best bet. It should buffer up to four channels, though you would have to go between them all at least once.
post #307 of 685 Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 PM

I use to install antenna a long time ago and still have my field strench meter and would like to know the sensivity of the tuner
post #308 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

How is the buffer recording different than any other DVR?   When I change channels on my FIOS DVR,  the channel changes immediately and the DVR starts to buffer ASAP which is usually a few seconds off on the actual recording.  It is being done by every DVR,  so it is not like we are asking for something special from the Tablo.   10 second pause will not pass the wife test.

-MM13

post #309 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

How is the buffer recording different than any other DVR?   When I change channels on my FIOS DVR,  the channel changes immediately and the DVR starts to buffer ASAP which is usually a few seconds off on the actual recording.  It is being done by every DVR,  so it is not like we are asking for something special from the Tablo.   10 second pause will not pass the wife test.

-MM13

But every other DVR is connected to the display by HDMI or Component cables. The Tablo (the way I understand it) is always streaming to the display.. even if the display is sitting right next to it on the shelf. The Tablo probably changes channels very quickly, but preparing the stream to the display takes some time . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
post #310 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

WS65711 posted before I could finish this post, but he hit the nail on the head.

I believe that it's quite different than DVRs by FIOS, satellite, or cable. With those, the DVR is just a tuner and hard drive between the source of the programming and your TV set. There are no network concerns at all on the DVR itself. Some providers do have clients that run off the DVR, but those clients are almost always connected through a high speed Ethernet or Coax network.

The Tablo DVR doesn't connect to any device directly. It is basically a streaming server. While the delay for buffering could be reduced, the risk is that the buffer is too small and any network hiccup would cause the stream to pause or skip. It's quite possible that Tablo is being conservative with their delay so that it can handle worst case scenarios (wireless Tablo connecting to multiple wireless clients).

Seeing how the Tablo works, it is no wonder the 4 tuner model is taking longer to develop. Trying to handle 4 streams seems more complex because of the extra buffering.
post #311 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 AM

WS65711,

Ugh, now I get it.    I have changed my marching orders.  I want HDMI for my main TV.   "HDMI, HDMI, HDMI".   :)

-MM13

laridae likes this.
post #312 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

Trying to handle 4 streams seems more complex because of the extra buffering.

I have four tuners in my electronic closet and WMC changes channels within a second at all of the network attached displays.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #313 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
it has nothing to do with a display or HDMI or the network for that matter, the reason you see the lag is because the tablo ALWAYS transcodes the mpeg2 stream to mp4 (or whatever they use). It takes time for the thing to lock on the channel you want, internally transcode it, buffer it, and then display it. if you change the channel, it stops the transcode, dumps it, acquires the new channel, begins to transcode it, buffer it and then display it to you so you can trick play it. That takes time.

a regular DVR simply records the native stream on the drive.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #314 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

if you change the channel, it stops the transcode, dumps it, acquires the new channel, begins to transcode it, buffer it and then display it to you so you can trick play it. .

Actually, if you change the channel, it will still keep transcoding the original channel (as far as I can tell), as long as you aren't already using a tuner for recording or Tablo connect (in that case, it would have to stop all activity on the channel you were watching). If you have a four tuner model, then you could have 4 channels all transcoding at the same time.

Switching between two channels that are already being tuned is very quick (1-2 seconds). With the four tuner model, it should let you switching between four channels easily, though that first time a channel is tuned is going to be slow.
post #315 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

WS65711,

Ugh, now I get it.    I have changed my marching orders.  I want HDMI for my main TV.   "HDMI, HDMI, HDMI".   :)

-MM13

I agree!

Bad enough the Tablo hijacks my only OTA antenna feed. They also physically remove the box to a different room in the house and require me to stream the signal to get it back to my main TV again!

As I said before. To pass the wife test, to do something simple like watch live TV there needs to be a straight link from antenna - Tablo - TV.

Tablo - you need to support HDMI-out to the main TV. Beyond that you can stream it wherever you like but you have to allow simple live viewing without jumping through hoops or you're gonna find your market demographic is limited to geeks and early-adopters.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #316 of 685 Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM

I think the delay would be more tolerated if it affected mobile devices only, but for me to buy this I need a delay free channel change on my roku equipped tvs. wonder if there was a way to program this into the existing tablo?
post #317 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Tablo is sitting right next to my main TV and both have an OTA feed (feed is split). I agree that changing channels while using the Tablo to watch live tv is slow, but all my TVs already have OTA feeds so I only rarely use this capability. My main reason for getting the Tablo was its DVR function, and that works very well.
post #318 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM

mbellaire,

This fails the wife test.   Plus going back to the OTA via the TV would not have any pause capabilities.   Needs to be as close to a real DVR as possible.

-MM13

post #319 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM

post #320 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbellaire View Post

My Tablo is sitting right next to my main TV and both have an OTA feed (feed is split). I agree that changing channels while using the Tablo to watch live tv is slow, but all my TVs already have OTA feeds so I only rarely use this capability. My main reason for getting the Tablo was its DVR function, and that works very well.

I do this too. As a DVR the Tablo is awesome.

post #321 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:

...going back to the OTA via the TV would not have any pause capabilities.
True enough. Not a big issue for us, as almost all the tv shows we watch are time shifted anyway.
post #322 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM

I used a splitter that the cable company left behind to split the OTA feed. I don't know if using a Cable TV Splitter is recommended for OTA signals (or if it makes any difference), but it works well for me.
post #323 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

I think the delay would be more tolerated if it affected mobile devices only, but for me to buy this I need a delay free channel change on my roku equipped tvs. wonder if there was a way to program this into the existing tablo?

They should be able to determine if the playback device is on the internal local network and NOT buffer 10 seconds of content before sending out data. When you hit play on a previously recorded show/movie, does it buffer for 10 seconds before initiating playback also? If so, then that would be really annoying. Kind of like the first generation blu ray players which took forever to load the disc and start playback.

Anyhow, this device is targeted to a non traditional DVR user. Adding HDMI outputs would have added additional licensinig costs, certification, handshake problems, and general complexity, and would have delayed introduction into the market. I understand what this device is, who it is meant for, and can live with some of these wants because I already have a traditional DVR. I actually have multiple DVR's.

Looking forward to placing a pre-order for the 4 tuner version.
Come on tablo guys. Get the 4 tuner pre-order page up so I can click BuyItNow.....
post #324 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

mbellaire,

This fails the wife test.   Plus going back to the OTA via the TV would not have any pause capabilities.   Needs to be as close to a real DVR as possible.

-MM13

My wife doesn't like electronics.. she spits on them. But she finds that Tablo TV and Roku 3 is very wife friendly. I mean how much more simple can it get? A roku remote? A couple icons?

Tablo TV rocks, so far with all the recordings I have done, it hasn't missed one.. flawless!
post #325 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM

You are listening to live TV, if you start playing immediately, then you are not buffering.
When you listen to something on internet that is recorded, it is not a problem because the download is faster and it can buffer as you Watch.

How can you buffer something that is live.
post #326 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

mbellaire,

Needs to be as close to a real DVR as possible.

-MM13

No it doesnt!! Get a real DVR if you want a real DVR, this is not it and it will never be.

People like laridee and many others here have this sense of, do i call it entitlement? or grudge with a company like Tivo that offers everything they are looking for but refuse to get it because of this false sense of morality and a false sense of how economics in running a business, licensing, patents, free markets and what not works.

People here want everything under the sun just to make their wives happy but want to spend almost no money possible, while spending lots of money and time buying up, testing and troubleshooting different devices thinking it will do the job. When it doesnt do the job, they demand and "scold" the company that its horrible because you didn't add and HDMI out. Not taking anything above into account and refusing to realize that what they ask for from all these new startups and Chinese manufacturers that all over this forum already exists, and it does the job very well.

Tablo is a different product for a different subset of the TV watching market. They want the relatively new consumer device tv watching market, they dont want the old tv watching market. This concept should not be hard to understand if one took a simple business class in high school.

Now, of course all of that could change and Tablo could release a standard DVR with HDMI out, but the complaining here will be shifted to how much more expensive that will be and why for god sakes they didn't include analog outputs.
adammiarka likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
post #327 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

No it doesnt!! Get a real DVR if you want a real DVR, this is not it and it will never be......

Bingo!

And that's why I've thought (although never came out and actually said it) that this thread is in the wrong forum.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #328 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Bingo!

And that's why I've thought (although never came out and actually said it) that this thread is in the wrong forum.

It's an HDTV Recorder. Therefore it is in the correct forum.
post #329 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by informel View Post

You are listening to live TV, if you start playing immediately, then you are not buffering.
When you listen to something on internet that is recorded, it is not a problem because the download is faster and it can buffer as you Watch.

How can you buffer something that is live.

It's still a stream of data, live or recorded. Buffering helps enable smooth playback at the expense of a delay in your broadcast.
post #330 of 685 Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Actually, by definition it belongs here. They said the same thing about my WMC thread over two years ago. Being here has a couple of advantages...

• Increased exposure - the product is introduced to many who would never be exposed to it other wise.
  • Lack of exposure - being off the beaten path it avoids certain types of posters. The endless posts declaring this or that and the non-stop debating of details of little matter blown out of proportion.

Not saying it's entirely different but I think it's safe to say the environment is different enough that it offers benefits especially for those who wouldn't necessarily look elsewhere or be willing to fight through the stream of traffic. I know in my case I punted WMC once or twice by simply reading about such in the HTPC forum... most posts were about stupid little things that hid the forest for the trees. I have received many a PM over the two years stating they found WMC here and saw it as an actual solution. Heck even one or two that were up and running... :) 

| 
|
|
|
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page