post #361 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Here, I'll make it simple for YOU... you left out some key words like "equipment that shows TV programs", "capable of displaying closed captions", "to devices with screens", "pass through".

Enough said by me... I'm out of this never-ending argument. Just read ALL the words and you will be enlightened.

I guess they taught you skip the word "to" in law school when reading legal documents. And to realize which words takes legal precedence in a sentence of a law rolleyes.gif

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I'm out of this never-ending argument.

As should everyone else since they have zero facts. Plenty, I know... simply wastes ink.  

post #363 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

Interestingly enough, SimpleTv does not support closed captioning either. http://community.simple.tv/index.php?/topic/11-simpletv-and-closed-captioning/ (someone in that thread also points out that it is the law).

There still is the caveat "if achievable" for these devices to fall back on. I honestly don't know what the litmus test is for that.

The litmus test if you market a product to replace something that abides by the law, and it doesn't follow the law, you're breaking the law. like i said, consumers have every reason to believe that if they are replacing their Fios service for Tablo, they have every reason to believe that they will get the same government alerts provided to them by law.

simple doesnt do that, and if i remember correctly, they were asked about it somewhere years ago, and they failed to provide an answer. Aereo does it, that i know.

I am certainly not going to rat them out, but the law clearly was expanded a few years ago because of new technologies, and i simply brought it up because of my silliness, i thought this was a message board to converse. But that clearly, there are some Tablo share holders that took offense to that.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #364 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Let's just be civil, folks (directed to everyone). We can debate nicely here. smile.gif

I have always thought of the Tablo as a device that tries to better it's main competitor, and that's SimpleTv. I believe they have done a good job with goal. I just find it very interesting that SimpleTv has been around for a lot longer than the Tablo, and they haven't figured out how to get closed captioning to work. I also haven't seen any lawsuits against either product yet for lack of closed captioning.

The Tablo is still a terrific device. I just hope they are aware of the law and are doing what they can to comply with it, if they aren't compliant already.
post #365 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

.... The Tablo is still a terrific device. I just hope they are aware of the law and are doing what they can to comply with it, if they aren't complaint already.

Freudian slip? biggrin.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #366 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Corrected. biggrin.gif

As for the emergency signal, I still would think it would work correctly, but I would have to be very lucky to ever catch one. The Tablo rep should be able to answer that.
post #367 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Does the Tablo have to connect directly to router?  I thought I read this isn't necessary.  My issue is my router is downstairs and I was hoping to have tablo upstairs for better antenna signal.

post #368 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

But I thought that one of the "big deals" about Tablo was that you could view your recordings just about anywhere, on any device, by sending them back out over the internet?

I think the question becomes... Is Tablo stripping the Closed-Captioning information when doing its transcoding from Mpeg2 to mp4?
If you read through that whole thing...it references "providers" and "distributors". When you use the Tablo, you are neither unless you somehow decide to utilize Tablo in a commercial capacity by providing service to others. Using it to place-shift to another device (even remotely) does not make you a service provider or distributor...it's fair use of a personal nature. Riddle me this...if streaming remotely to your own personal devices makes you an "internet distributor"...does that make us liable to be sued if Aereo loses the Supreme Court case? You're basically doing the same thing then, aren't you? No...not at all...because you're doing it for personal use, not as a commercial venture.

Bottom line, in my opinion...the distribution takes place via OTA channels. All the Tablo does is let you use it for PERSONAL uses once you receive it.
post #369 of 765 Old 04-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkufan92 View Post

Does the Tablo have to connect directly to router?  I thought I read this isn't necessary.  My issue is my router is downstairs and I was hoping to have tablo upstairs for better antenna signal.

No, it doesn't have to. It supports wireless 802.11n dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz with MIMO.

The only real disadvantage to use wireless is that you can only stream to three devices concurrently instead of 6. However, I have never needed to stream to more than 2 at a time.
post #370 of 765 Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36

Wow - that was quite the debate...

On CC and weather alerts, we currently cannot support this but we're working with one of our chip providers to see if we can get this information to pass through into the streams we do collect, i.e. trying to find out if it's technically feasible and achievable.

If people have a concern about getting this information in the meantime, they can certainly split their OTA signal and deliver one end directly to the TV and one into the Tablo. 

post #371 of 765 Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Can I order the 4 tuner version, and if so, when do you expect to ship?

Thanks,
Larry
post #372 of 765 Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSHorwitz View Post

Can I order the 4 tuner version, and if so, when do you expect to ship?

Thanks,
Larry

The ETA for the 4-Tuner Tablo is late May or early June. The first production run is happening this week and then we'll do some

additional testing to confirm robustness.

If you'd like to be notified when it's available, sign up at www.TabloTV.com/stay-in-touch 

post #373 of 765 Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Wow - that was quite the debate...

On CC and weather alerts, we currently cannot support this but we're working with one of our chip providers to see if we can get this information to pass through into the streams we do collect, i.e. trying to find out if it's technically feasible and achievable.

If people have a concern about getting this information in the meantime, they can certainly split their OTA signal and deliver one end directly to the TV and one into the Tablo. 

If you simply saved the original transport stream, then you would get CC for free.
post #374 of 765 Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

If you simply saved the original transport stream, then you would get CC for free.
The original transport stream isn't compatible with mobile devices or Roku. That's the entire point of the transcoding.
post #375 of 765 Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, but when they throw away the original stream they clearly lose valuable information. The could parse out the closed captioning information in real time or offline using the untouched stream.
post #376 of 765 Old 05-02-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

The ETA for the 4-Tuner Tablo is late May or early June. The first production run is happening this week and then we'll do some
additional testing to confirm robustness.

If you'd like to be notified when it's available, sign up at www.TabloTV.com/stay-in-touch 

Thank You !!
TabloTV likes this.
post #377 of 765 Old 05-02-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Cnet reviewed the Channel Master DVR+.  Here is a mention of Channel Master's native capture vs Tablo/Aero:

Image quality: Pure OTA, with some hiccups

One of the best parts of over-the-air HDTV is that image quality is excellent -- often better than what's offered by cable and satellite providers. And because the DVR+ is connected directly to your TV via HDMI -- instead of streaming video over your network or the Internet like Tablo or Aereo -- there's no additional compression taking place. It makes a huge difference on sports, which tend to suffer the most from compression artifacts. Quality on the DVR+ was as pristine as I expected.

Has anyone noticed and quality degradation or artifacts when watching sports?   I need this thing to as good/clear as my Fios DVR when it comes to NFL games.

-MM13

post #378 of 765 Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

Cnet reviewed the Channel Master DVR+.  Here is a mention of Channel Master's native capture vs Tablo/Aero:

Image quality: Pure OTA, with some hiccups

One of the best parts of over-the-air HDTV is that image quality is excellent -- often better than what's offered by cable and satellite providers. And because the DVR+ is connected directly to your TV via HDMI -- instead of streaming video over your network or the Internet like Tablo or Aereo -- there's no additional compression taking place. It makes a huge difference on sports, which tend to suffer the most from compression artifacts. Quality on the DVR+ was as pristine as I expected.

Has anyone noticed and quality degradation or artifacts when watching sports?   I need this thing to as good/clear as my Fios DVR when it comes to NFL games.

-MM13

I have seen no artifacts while watching sports. And the quality is definitely better than what I see watching ESPN on ESPN3/watchESPN.

Now is it going to be identical to watching OTA directly? No, of course not. But I am an avid sports fan, and I am happy with the quality of the picture.

My bigger problem is the delay of going through the Tablo and a Roku together. I like to post comments on a Titans message board as soon as plays happen, and the delay is just too much. So I will likely record the games for replay value, but directly connect an antenna to my TV and watch the games live.
post #379 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I have seen no artifacts while watching sports. And the quality is definitely better than what I see watching ESPN on ESPN3/watchESPN.

Now is it going to be identical to watching OTA directly? No, of course not. But I am an avid sports fan, and I am happy with the quality of the picture.

My bigger problem is the delay of going through the Tablo and a Roku together. I like to post comments on a Titans message board as soon as plays happen, and the delay is just too much. So I will likely record the games for replay value, but directly connect an antenna to my TV and watch the games live.

and this would work, but it requires the user to take a 4db hit in signal strength by adding a splitter for the tablo.
post #380 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Anybody here familiar with Tablo use via a Roku box ?

Supposedly there is a way to do this but I have yet to find any mention of Tablo in the Roku Channel Store.
post #381 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM

If I remember correctly, the Tablo channel for Roku isn't in the official store yet. It is still a "private channel". However, if you go to Tablo's app page below...there should be a link taking you to the Roku Channel.
http://www.tablotv.com/support/apps
TabloTV likes this.
post #382 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

and this would work, but it requires the user to take a 4db hit in signal strength by adding a splitter for the tablo.
I do what snowcat is proposing to do (split the live TV to the TV and recordings to Tablo), and if you have good signal reception the 3.5dB signal loss wont be noticeable. You could always get an amplified splitter.

post #383 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

I do what snowcat is proposing to do (split the live TV to the TV and recordings to Tablo), and if you have good signal reception the 3.5dB signal loss wont be noticeable. You could always get an amplified splitter.

Doesn't that basically kill your ability to pause, rewind, and fast forward Live TV? eek.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #384 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Doesn't that basically kill your ability to pause, rewind, and fast forward Live TV? eek.gif
Yep. I watch DVRed TV 99.99% of the time. I can handle no pause the other times. To each their own.

post #385 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I plan on doing it (watch pure OTA TV) only for Titans games. Even the delay on DirecTv's Genie is noticable, so it is a problem with all DVRs. If the play is good, it will be replayed anyway, and I will use my recording to go back and watch it later.
post #386 of 765 Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 PM

Excellent reply regarding Roku access and very much appreciated, Dakotah!

Thank you !!

Larry
post #387 of 765 Old 05-11-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

How is the progress coming along on producing the 4 tuner first batch? Are there any problems or will you still meet the late may/early June release date?
post #388 of 765 Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

How is the progress coming along on producing the 4 tuner first batch? Are there any problems or will you still meet the late may/early June release date?

Going very well. We're full steam ahead. Expect an announcement in the next few weeks on a promo for the 4-Tuner. :) 

Dakotah likes this.
post #389 of 765 Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10

Hi,

Has any tablo owner tried to view live tv/recordings through the XBOX One or PS4 built in web browsers ?  I'd be interested in hearing about the possibilities ( pros / cons) . Thanks.

post #390 of 765 Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 69
TabloTV, you'll have me as a customer as soon as you offer ability save recordings to my computer. This is already possible with Simple.tv, albeit not by them, but a user-built app.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Reply HDTV Recorders