47Likes

post #391 of 694 Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

TabloTV, you'll have me as a customer as soon as you offer ability save recordings to my computer. This is already possible with Simple.tv, albeit not by them, but a user-built app.

I just responded to your email, but thought I'd share with the class so everyone can hear the answer... 

Long story short, we could implement a ‘kludge’ for now and give power users access to download files fairly easily. But we like to focus on creating the best possible experience for ALL of our users which is why we're approaching adding this feature in a much more focused way. We want to make downloading shows so easy that grandma can do it and we want to make sure it does it consistently. 

Yes, it means that the power users like you have to wait a bit longer, but in the long run the feature will work as advertised and be easier to use than any ‘kludge’ we could implement in the meantime. 

This feature is highly requested (both inside the office and out) so it’ll only be a matter of time and coding resources before we get this done. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 694 Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapBrannagin View Post

Hi,

Has any tablo owner tried to view live tv/recordings through the XBOX One or PS4 built in web browsers ?  I'd be interested in hearing about the possibilities ( pros / cons) . Thanks.

This isn't something we've tested ourselves. Sometimes the web-based app has worked in embedded browsers but usually only on those with gyroscopic interfaces (not D-pad interfaces).

Curious to see if anyone has given it a shot.

post #393 of 694 Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

I just responded to your email, but thought I'd share with the class so everyone can hear the answer... 

Long story short, we could implement a ‘kludge’ for now and give power users access to download files fairly easily. But we like to focus on creating the best possible experience for ALL of our users which is why we're approaching adding this feature in a much more focused way. We want to make downloading shows so easy that grandma can do it and we want to make sure it does it consistently. 

Yes, it means that the power users like you have to wait a bit longer, but in the long run the feature will work as advertised and be easier to use than any ‘kludge’ we could implement in the meantime. 

This feature is highly requested (both inside the office and out) so it’ll only be a matter of time and coding resources before we get this done. 
Thank you... hopefully, "a bit longer" means by Fall smile.gif. I know Simple.tv is working on a similar feature. Officially, not just the user-created app.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #394 of 694 Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 PM

We're actively looking to add an additional iOS developer so we can speed up our dev cycles. We have added an Android guy (he starts soon!) so we'll be able to crank through features at a faster pace now. Still no ETA to share but it's definitely high on the priority list. 

post #395 of 694 Old 05-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Has anyone tried using video downloader plugins for Chrome such as Freemake or GetThemAll Downloader to download to a computer in order to transfer to mobile as a stop gap?

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_downloader/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/getthemall-downloader/nbkekaeindpfpcoldfckljplboolgkfm

*Edit:  I am confused over something that I thought I (mis)read about the Tablo either here or on the official forum.  It is about playing back a currently recording show.  I somehow got the impression that the only way to watch from the beginning is to rewind to it.  If this is correct is it a conditional?  Such as if you have the channel on screen yes but if you go to the recordings screen you can start from the beginning?

post #396 of 694 Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapBrannagin View Post

Hi,
Has any tablo owner tried to view live tv/recordings through the XBOX One or PS4 built in web browsers ? I'd be interested in hearing about the possibilities ( pros / cons) . Thanks.
Quote:

This isn't something we've tested ourselves. Sometimes the web-based app has worked in embedded browsers but usually only on those with gyroscopic interfaces (not D-pad interfaces).

Curious to see if anyone has given it a shot.

hmmm..... I wonder if the web based app works with Nintendo's Wii U webbrowser?

it's plays h.264 video streams & unlike PS4 or XboxOne it's a touchscreen based webbrowser.

The tablo web based app might unintentionally be very compatible with the Wii U.

Anybody try it?
post #397 of 694 Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

*Edit:  I am confused over something that I thought I (mis)read about the Tablo either here or on the official forum.  It is about playing back a currently recording show.  I somehow got the impression that the only way to watch from the beginning is to rewind to it.  If this is correct is it a conditional?  Such as if you have the channel on screen yes but if you go to the recordings screen you can start from the beginning?

The only app that has a problem with this is the Android app. During live TV, the Android app can only pause and play. If you are recording a show and it is still going on when you go to the recordings screen and select that show, it won't start at the beginning. It just goes to the live tv with the same limitations as live tv, despite it having the 20 sec rewind and 30 sec skip buttons. Once the show is over, then you can view the recording and have complete control from the beginning.

This problem isn't in the web app, Roku app or iPad app. If you select a show that is being recorded, you can go to the recording and start at the beginning, or you can go to live tv and rewind to any spot earlier in the show.

(And if you use Chromecast via the Android app, it will have the same limitations as the Android App)
post #398 of 694 Old 05-14-2014, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric83 View Post

hmmm..... I wonder if the web based app works with Nintendo's Wii U webbrowser?

it's plays h.264 video streams & unlike PS4 or XboxOne it's a touchscreen based webbrowser.

The tablo web based app might unintentionally be very compatible with the Wii U.

Anybody try it?

I have a Wii U, so I just tried it. I can select my Tablo, but it gets stuck at the "Connecting" screen. Since it isn't a Chrome or Safari browser, it just doesn't work (it uses something called NetFront® Browser NX v2.1).
post #399 of 694 Old 05-15-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

Has anyone tried using video downloader plugins for Chrome such as Freemake or GetThemAll Downloader
to download to a computer in order to transfer to mobile as a stop gap?

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_downloader/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/getthemall-downloader/nbkekaeindpfpcoldfckljplboolgkfm
These type of tools will likely only let you do a screen capture and transcode that to a mp4 or whatever. Quality will suffer. Tablo is likely storing the recordings as HLS streams, so they need to figure out how to let us download to PC as standard mpeg4.

post #400 of 694 Old 05-15-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Tablo is likely storing the recordings as HLS streams, so they need to figure out how to let us download to PC as standard mpeg4.

You hit the nail on the head. :) 

post #401 of 694 Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It should be fairly easy for them to re-construct the MPEG2-TS container from the HLS streaming files.
post #402 of 694 Old 05-16-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Tablo is transcoding on the fly and only saving the HLS MPEG4 stream(s). So, there is no original MPEG2-TS.

post #403 of 694 Old 05-16-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

No maybe you did not understand what I wrote. Let me clarify. It should be easy for them to take the HLS MPEG4 streams and construct a MPEG2TS container with the H.264 video plus whatever audio which then can be transferred to a computer or other device.
post #404 of 694 Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I see. I currently have Simple.tv and a user built a tool that allows you to download the HLS MP4's to your PC. VLC, MPC-HC, etc. will play these MP4's, but most media players (WD TV, XBMC, etc.) won't. Anyway, I posted a question on Doom9 forums asking if there's a lossless way to convert HLS MP4's to standard MP4's. Hopefully there's a tool out there for this.

post #405 of 694 Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I think I have something cool to report. Maybe this will help Tablo in their development of a download tool. Although the user-created Simple.tv tool has been great for downloading the HLS MP4 files (same way Tablo stores recordings) to my PC, I wasn't able to get my media players (XBMC, WD TV and Mede8er) to play the files w/o artifacts (garbled video). I tried a bunch of tools to losslessly save the files so they're playable elsewhere (as these MP4's are already re-encoded from the original OTA airings), but all involved re-encoding. However, if you simply drop the MP4's into MKVMerge and output a MKV file, they play perfectly in XBMC and other media players. It's also easier once you have the MKV's to demux them into video/audio streams and put them into a different container.

post #406 of 694 Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Brajesh. Will pass that along to the team.

post #407 of 694 Old 05-16-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, what I posted only half works. If you simply convert to MKV via MKVMerge, most media players seem to play it. If you edit, then no. Same garbled video frown.gif.

post #408 of 694 Old 05-17-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like what you need is to find a video editor that will let you add all the clips into the time line and then export and reconstruct the time code the players are getting screwed up on without re - encoding the video nor audio.

Maybe videoredo or the SolveigMM Video Splitter editors are up to the challenge?
post #409 of 694 Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I am using VideoRedo (the h.264 version). Resulting MKV's (w/o commercials) are sometimes playable on media players, other times have garbled/pixellated video.

post #410 of 694 Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using VideoRedo (the h.264 version). Resulting MKV's (w/o commercials) are sometimes playable on media players, other times have garbled/pixellated video.

Try exporting as a transport stream, not MKV.
Just back in Dec 2013 VRD was having problems with MKV as evidenced by the changelog:
"Fix: MKV output, MKV files with MPEG2 video crash PowerDVD and cause problems in other players."
post #411 of 694 Old 05-19-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

What you suggested works! Thanks. I also tried taking the TS, dropping it into MKVMerge and outputting a MKV... and I get garbled/pixellated video again. Don't understand why MKV as a container (vs. TS) for the same H.264 and AAC streams should matter. But, hey, at least TS seems to play well.

post #412 of 694 Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What you suggested works! Thanks. I also tried taking the TS, dropping it into MKVMerge and outputting a MKV... and I get garbled/pixellated video again. Don't understand why MKV as a container (vs. TS) for the same H.264 and AAC streams should matter. But, hey, at least TS seems to play well.

Kinda makes you wonder why in the heck they chose the HLS "standard" for their container in the first place.
They could easily add metadata for random access as they transcode to H.264 and stuff the H.264 back into a MPEG2TS container.

Maybe they have very valid & sound engineering reasons for using the containet they curently use????
post #413 of 694 Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Simple.tv and Tablo both use HLS, so maybe there's a good reason.

post #414 of 694 Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Simple.tv and Tablo both use HLS, so maybe there's a good reason.

I would be willing to bet lunch it was a design choice of the hardware manufacturer which makes the tuners/transcoding hardware encoder they use.
post #415 of 694 Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 AM

So qz3fwd - where are we going to lunch? :D

We chose HLS because it's the native Apple streaming language and we started out programming specifically for the Apple environment. Added benefits are that it does adaptive bit rate and easily transverses firewalls. It's becoming one of the defacto streaming languages for these reasons. 

post #416 of 694 Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So qz3fwd - where are we going to lunch? biggrin.gif

We chose HLS because it's the native Apple streaming language and we started out programming specifically for the Apple environment. Added benefits are that it does adaptive bit rate and easily transverses firewalls. It's becoming one of the defacto streaming languages for these reasons. 

We are going to lunch when you guys actually release the 4 tuner version! smile.gif
Been waiting a while now......

That makes me wonder what is actually inside hardware wise?
Has anyone been brave enough to crack open their case and taken some pics showing all of the hardware inside this device?
It would be interesting to see the specifications for the hardware which enables MPEG2->H.264 transcoding.
post #417 of 694 Old 05-20-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

We are going to lunch when you guys actually release the 4 tuner version! smile.gif
Been waiting a while now......

That makes me wonder what is actually inside hardware wise?
Has anyone been brave enough to crack open their case and taken some pics showing all of the hardware inside this device?
It would be interesting to see the specifications for the hardware which enables MPEG2->H.264 transcoding.

Touché! However, we're almost there for the 4-Tuner, one last test to pass!

As for guts - you can read all about our tuner in this news release that was issued today: http://www.maxlinear.com/maxlinear-mxl603-selected-by-nuvyyo-for-innovative-tablo-hdtv-atsc-broadcast-dvr/

And our encoding/transcoding is done by ViXS http://vixs.com/index-ee.php/products/product/xcode-5100-series

post #418 of 694 Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Any update on Visual FFW/REW capabilities?

-MM13

post #419 of 694 Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

Any update on Visual FFW/REW capabilities?

-MM13

Sorry Mattman - we've been crunching through 'manual' recordings (ie record by date/time/channel). Once that's done we'll be able to start working on the giant list of feature requests. 

Unfortunately showing previews for FF/REW is quite difficult - we may not have the processing power for that so we'll have to take a closer look to see if it's at all possible.

post #420 of 694 Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Touché! However, we're almost there for the 4-Tuner, one last test to pass!

Since you are a Canadian business, I hope it will be available in Canada at the same time;)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page