Official Tablo thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #421 of 727 Old 05-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I hope you can figure this out as this has been a DVR standard for years now and it will be hard to get the wife to buy in without it.

How are the other owners in this thread dealing with this?

-MM13

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched through the FAQ but didnt see an answer, what iOS versions are supported? I have an ipad 1 that only goes to 5.1.1
post #423 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

I hope you can figure this out as this has been a DVR standard for years now and it will be hard to get the wife to buy in without it.

-MM13

It hasn't been an issue for me at all. Each device has a predefined skip and rewind time. If I skip too far, then I just rewind back.
post #424 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post

I searched through the FAQ but didnt see an answer, what iOS versions are supported? I have an ipad 1 that only goes to 5.1.1

It requires IOS 7 to use the tablet app.

Now you can use the web app on your iPad going through Safari or Chrome. The iPad app is just more polished.
post #425 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 05:04 AM

SC,

But you can't see where you are FF and RW to correct?  Does it give any visual clue as to where you are?    If it is instantaneous showing you where you are I guess it may not be an issue?  If I need to wait a few seconds to see where I am after each click,  that wouldn't be good.

-MM13

post #426 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

SC,

But you can't see where you are FF and RW to correct?  Does it give any visual clue as to where you are?    If it is instantaneous showing you where you are I guess it may not be an issue?  If I need to wait a few seconds to see where I am after each click,  that wouldn't be good.

-MM13

Which interface are you specifically asking about? In all of them, there is a status bar that shows you where you are on a recording relative to the beginning. In all the interfaces but the Roku, as soon as you do a skip or rewind, you see the screen.

The Roku is a bit trickier because there is no screen preview like you would see with Netflix on the Roku. But you do see where you are timewise, and each skip (right d-pad arrow) advances 10 sec (and I think 30 sec using the FF button). The user does have to hit play to get to show to run again.

I just usually hit the right d-pad about 10 times and then look to see where I am. Then I do another 10 times. Sure it would be good to see the screen at that point, but it may not be possible,
AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #427 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by informel View Post

Since you are a Canadian business, I hope it will be available in Canada at the same time;)

Of course!!! We would never leave our Canadian fans out in the cold! 

In fact, we recently transitioned to a new online sales system so we could process transactions in Canadian funds. 

post #428 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

The Roku is a bit trickier because there is no screen preview like you would see with Netflix on the Roku. But you do see where you are timewise, and each skip (right d-pad arrow) advances 10 sec (and I think 30 sec using the FF button). The user does have to hit play to get to show to run again.

I just usually hit the right d-pad about 10 times and then look to see where I am. Then I do another 10 times. Sure it would be good to see the screen at that point, but it may not be possible,

Our Roku dev is working to figure out how to make the D-pad skip a universal 30 second skip. However, while the documentation for Roku 1, 2 & 3 says they should all work the same, they don't actually which was a fun surprise. We're having to sort out how to do this but we know it's a pain point so it's a priority to get it fixed. 

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #429 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 04:21 PM

What is a good USB powered HDD to get for the Tablo?

-MM13

post #430 of 727 Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is a good USB powered HDD to get for the Tablo?

-MM13

Here is a list of ones that we users have and works well: http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/108/tested-hard-drives#latest
AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #431 of 727 Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

-MM13

The same way I dealt with FFing commercials when we had a cable box. I hit the FF button a few times, wait a few seconds, and hit play. Most of the time the commercials are a consistent length, so most of the time I can get it pretty damn close to the show start time.

The difference? the cable box had a preview, but the tablo doesn't [yet].

post #432 of 727 Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wish tablo had a "loop through" or "pass through" option to run a coaxial cable out of the unit to a nearby tv. You could then watch live tv (delay free) with your TV's tuner and it wouldn't use one of tablo's tuners. any chance of adding this feature?
post #433 of 727 Old 05-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48

I doubt very much that Tablo would want to do that given that they've deliberately made it without a HDMI out, reasoning that it's a streaming box.

Probably the best you could do then is to add a splitter and run your coax from it, although that means splitting your signal strength. Or, if you're close to your transmitters and have strong signals you could tuck another little antenna into your TV room somewhere.

Either of those would be my preferred solution actually. That way there is an intuitive route (choose "TV" as the source and view live) for the non-techies that don't want to jump through the hoops required for something simple like watching live TV.

AnthonyNYC likes this.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #434 of 727 Old 05-23-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
received an email, we can now pre-order the 4 tuner model.

I just ordered mine.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #435 of 727 Old 05-23-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I ordered mine about 6 hours ago!
post #436 of 727 Old 05-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

I too Pre-Ordered my 4 tuner model!
I am excited after waiting so long to be notified when they'd be available. I believe the 4 Tuner TabloTV will be everything I need to enjoy all the Primetime TV shows that I'll be recording.
As most new shows are on at the same time ( Primetime) having a 4 tuner option was the minimum I would require to get all the shows I watch.

I also am going to receive 6 months of free guide subscription for pre-ordering, that's nice of them but since I plan to buy the $149 lifetime subscription plan anyway, it really doesn't add any additional value in that situation.
Having said that, the value in my opinion is already included in the great pricing of their lifetime subscription plan. Wow! And Compared to tivo's $500 lifetime fee, TabloTV has knocked it right out of the ball park!
Even the $4.99 a month or $49 a year are great options but I can't pass up a lifetime plan when it is priced so reasonable.

Their pricing is actually what made me take a chance on them over the Roamio box I was considering purchasing. I hope it is all it's cracked up to be. I'll find out soon I guess.
smile.gif

Also the fact the subscription fee is for my accounts lifetime and not just tied to a single box like the Tivo units are is awesome. So because replacing my TabloTV box in the future won't require me to purchase another lifetime subscription is a big relief.
I can also buy a second TabloTV unit on the same account and have either 6 tuners or 8 tuners (depending on which model I buy) in total and not need to pay any additional subscription fees, excellent! I might just do that too. Having 6 or more tuners sounds like the ultimate system for me.
Thanks to everyone who posted so much info on the TabloTv in this thread, it was very informative and helpful to me.
post #437 of 727 Old 05-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Sorry guys - once we announced the availability of the 4-Tuner on Friday demand kind of exploded so I didn't have a chance to stop by and let you all know it was open.

Thanks for your orders!! 

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #438 of 727 Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post

I too Pre-Ordered my 4 tuner model!
I am excited after waiting so long to be notified when they'd be available. I believe the 4 Tuner TabloTV will be everything I need to enjoy all the Primetime TV shows that I'll be recording.
As most new shows are on at the same time ( Primetime) having a 4 tuner option was the minimum I would require to get all the shows I watch.

I also am going to receive 6 months of free guide subscription for pre-ordering, that's nice of them but since I plan to buy the $149 lifetime subscription plan anyway, it really doesn't add any additional value in that situation.
Having said that, the value in my opinion is already included in the great pricing of their lifetime subscription plan. Wow! And Compared to tivo's $500 lifetime fee, TabloTV has knocked it right out of the ball park!
Even the $4.99 a month or $49 a year are great options but I can't pass up a lifetime plan when it is priced so reasonable.

Their pricing is actually what made me take a chance on them over the Roamio box I was considering purchasing. I hope it is all it's cracked up to be. I'll find out soon I guess.
smile.gif

Also the fact the subscription fee is for my accounts lifetime and not just tied to a single box like the Tivo units are is awesome. So because replacing my TabloTV box in the future won't require me to purchase another lifetime subscription is a big relief.
I can also buy a second TabloTV unit on the same account and have either 6 tuners or 8 tuners (depending on which model I buy) in total and not need to pay any additional subscription fees, excellent! I might just do that too. Having 6 or more tuners sounds like the ultimate system for me.
Thanks to everyone who posted so much info on the TabloTv in this thread, it was very informative and helpful to me.

+1.

Having only 2 tuners is so circa 2006! It does lead to many recording conflicts with either clipped recordings or missed recordings altogether.

I also plan on ordering the lifetime guide subscription and was pleasantly suprised it is tied to a named user account and not tied to hardware.

I contemplated pre-ordering 2 4 tuner units, but decided to kick the tires first on one of the first batch units....

Looking forward to receiving the unit.

Looks like i owe TabloTV user lunch after all smile.gif Where do you want to go for lunch?
AnthonyNYC and TabloTV like this.
post #439 of 727 Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I am still very happy with my two tuner. I have never had a conflict, as there are rarely more than one network show I want to record at the same time. On the other hand, if I did a lot of remote viewing, a four tuner would be a whole lot better.

I do hope the four tuner becomes quite popular and Nuvyyo can continue to work on the all the upgrades and ideas that have been presented. It has been fun being one of the early adopters, and this product does appear to be on the right track to be a major consumer item.
AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #440 of 727 Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Looks like i owe TabloTV user lunch after all smile.gif Where do you want to go for lunch?

We'll call it even since you ordered a 4-Tuner :)

post #441 of 727 Old 05-27-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:

It has been fun being one of the early adopters, and this product does appear to be on the right track to be a major consumer item.

That's the plan! 

The major hurdle will be educating the average person that OTA TV exists and that it's legal and free. The next 6 months will be all about getting the word out and cranking out new features!

post #442 of 727 Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

That's the plan! 

The major hurdle will be educating the average person that OTA TV exists and that it's legal and free....

I think the major hurdle is getting people to accept streamed 720p, when most people expect 1080p on their primary TV . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #443 of 727 Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 AM

WS,

Why 720p?  Doesn't Tablo do 1080p?

-MM13

post #444 of 727 Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WS,

Why 720p?  Doesn't Tablo do 1080p?

-MM13

Yes, it does do 1080p. I use that setting now for all my shows and recording. Though if I did a lot of remote streaming, I might drop down to 720p and do "full quality" (I have 5Mbps upload speed).
post #445 of 727 Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:

Yes, it does do 1080p....

Sorry, then I apologize. I thought I recalled some 720 limitation from discussions earlier in the thread.

They consider THIS
post #446 of 727 Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it does do 1080p....
Sorry, then I apologize. I thought I recalled some 720 limitation from discussions earlier in the thread.

This might be what you read?

post #447 of 727 Old 05-28-2014, 04:47 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

This might be what you read?

Yep.. that was probably it. I guess that post also indicates that there is currently no 5.1 support?

They consider THIS
post #448 of 727 Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Yep.. that was probably it. I guess that post also indicates that there is currently no 5.1 support?

Not yet - ETA is 2nd half of the year. 

post #449 of 727 Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

I was reading some comments left on a Canadian Newspaper web site last year about TabloTV, and it is true many people don't understand at all about Free OTA TV, and a double whammy will be the fact that TabloTV has no connection to the TV so it needs a home with a network so it can be viewed with streaming capabilities. Personally I see the need for this device, especially the 4 tuner model.
There are other dual tuner streaming tuners but they require you to maintain your own home media center/DVR, with the tabloTV you get the features of the streaming tuners and the software/hardware (once you connect storage drive) to achieve it all without needing a home PC to be running to record and stream your shows. So that can save you money in electricity cost each month right there.
And the fact that the TabloTV can basically work for free without a guide (although why would you want to?) if someone doesn't what much tv and just wants to record a la VCR style minus the blinking 12:00 feature. LOL is a plus.

Those who realize all the added benefits the box can offer using the enhanced guide data and software which can search and categorize the shows for you, keep track of new episodes for you to record for the season etc... and for only $4.99 a month will find it is an excellent way to save money by cord cutting without giving up the convenience of a DVR for watching tv on your time, not only when shows are on. Also I think there are so many more new tv shows and series on now, not only in the fall/winter programming season as in the past but also the summer season has lots of new programming available now. All for free over the air in HDTV. That is why a 4 tuner model is perfect for accumulating enough stuff during primetime to watch all day long if needed.

So yes, there are some obstacles such as getting the word out there that OTA HDTV exists, but also that finally there is a 4 tuner DVR with innovative software and at a reasonable low subscription guide fee (or a low cost lifetime option) and that it streams to your big screen tv (using a roku, appleTV, chromecast or hardwired to a laptop or tablet, which allows you to use the one box for your entire home, and tablets for outdoors etc... anywhere you go, even on vacation or at doctors office. That will be the challenge BUT if we want TabloTV to make it and continue to prosper and grow so that we may continue to enjoy it for many years to come then we all need to help spread the word, right?

I will do my part once my 4 tuner model arrives to show it to all my friends, explain its benefits and what a bargain it is, and get them excited about saving money with free tv at the same time enjoying tv viewing more!
I have friends paying for basic cable, with no DVR who can only watch 1 show at a time and only when it is on, crazy, right? They'd definitely get better enjoyment out of their tv using the TabloTV system in my opinion and save money over the basic cable they are currently paying for. Yes, they do need to also have internet access, so there are some people who won't be able to enjoy the TabloTV if they aren't networked or connect. But the majority would be able to. Also by cutting cable and becoming more choosey and only paying for premium content you actual enjoy thru pay per view, amazon prime, netflix etc. with all the money saved over the expensive bloated cable network plans.
Thanks everyone, Anthony
post #450 of 727 Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post

... just wants to record a la VCR style minus the blinking 12:00 feature....

I'm filing this away for April 1st of next year. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post

... if we want TabloTV to make it and continue to prosper and grow so that we may continue to enjoy it for many years to come then we all need to help spread the word, right?

I will do my part once my 4 tuner model arrives to show it to all my friends, explain its benefits and what a bargain it is, and get them excited about saving money with free tv at the same time enjoying tv viewing more!

Thank you very much Anthony! This is exactly what we need - advocates. There's no reason why OTA TV should be such a big secret and we're going to do our best to let everyone in on it. Your help in doing so is very much appreciated. 

AnthonyNYC likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page