42Likes

post #451 of 672 Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
TabloTV,

Are you guys working on an XBMC PVR add-on?

How can we get development information about the Tablo DVR's API if we wanted to create one ourselves?
This would require information on getting the recording list details, streaming video to a XBMC client, setting/getting channels, getting guide information,.......

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 672 Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

TabloTV,

Are you guys working on an XBMC PVR add-on?

How can we get development information about the Tablo DVR's API if we wanted to create one ourselves?
This would require information on getting the recording list details, streaming video to a XBMC client, setting/getting channels, getting guide information,.......

Thank you

We aren't as of yet. Some fans are working on a Plex app though: http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/230/introducing-plex-channel-for-tablotv

If you're really interested in working on an XBMC app like these guys, send a note to info@tablotv.com and we'll start a dialogue. 

post #453 of 672 Old 06-03-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My 4 tuner Tablo arrived this past Friday. Got it installed and running quite easily. Biggest issue now is that being the summer, I have only one show in the recording queue. Using it with my Roku 3; it's nice to have have Netflix, Hulu and OTA TV available on one device.

Haven't run into any issues other than one that was quickly acknowledged by the Tablo support staff. Definitely looking forward to AC3 passthrough as I think at this point, it's the only major shortcoming for me.
AnthonyNYC and TabloTV like this.
post #454 of 672 Old 06-03-2014, 10:55 PM

Liked: 11
Great to hear some news about the 4 tuner Tablo! Is there any evidence of fewer channel detection? A 4 way split in the incoming OTA RF is unavoidable internally even if an internal stage of RF amplification precedes the splitter. Diminished signal to noise ratio is the consequence with marginal channels being possibly impacted.

Not a deal breaker and most likely not a big issue but just wondering if any prior detected channels on prior tuner are now missing?
post #455 of 672 Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Only one or two of my primary channels have ever been marginal. I get both DC and MD stations for the locals and besides ION, that's all my unit is setup for (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC). I recall turning off about 6-8 other stations that were being received but I have no interest in watching. Only one of the locals was showing fewer than maximum dots (orange or red versus full green; I don't recall) so I just picked that up from DC or MD (whichever was stronger).

I'm just running a trusty Radio Shack amplifier before the Tablo and a relatively old antenna on the deck.
post #456 of 672 Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I am glad to hear that some of the 4-tuners are in users' hands now. Here is my list of things still left for the Tablo folks to do:

1. Manual recordings (setting time/date/channel as opposed to selecting a show). Until this feature is implemented, every user has to have a subscription to use the Tablo. I am sure the Tablo folks would like to start collecting money on subscriptions, but they can't until this is done.

2. Support IE on the web client. There seems to be a little progress there, but I still haven't heard from any users that it works. Surface RT and Windows Phones users need this functionality, as Chrome is not available for them.

3. AC3 passthorugh to support 5.1 sound. It sounds like it will be done this year, and it can be done for all Tablo users through a firmware upgrade.

4. Closed Captioning. No timetable on this one.

5. Consistent skip forward/rewind buttons between platforms. Roku and Chrome uses 10 sec each way, iPad and Android tablet use 30 sec skip / 20 sec rewind. The iPad way is preferred. (I bet this will be changed soon).

6. Roku live channels screen. Currently, all you see is a list of channels and the name of the show playing right now. That list doesn't update unless you exit to the Tablo main menu on the Roku. It's functional, but way behind the web and tablet live TV interfaces. (no timetable)

7. Support for more platforms (Amazon tablet app, Amazon Fire app) and more apps for existing platforms (iPhone, Android phone, AppleTv native app). Any that can be done will likely be done after the existing apps are more stable and polished.

8. Tablo Connect updates - still need auto-adapt for the quality, and many users are wanting the ability to connect remotely from any device (via username/password), not just one that has been "paired" on the home network.

There are a few problems that need to be fixed too.
1. Support for all hard drives 2TB or smaller. Right now, if a hard drive has 4K sectors instead of the standard 512 byte sectors, the Tablo won't recognize it.

2. Android tablet app can't rewind or FF live TV (but it works fine with a recording). This also affects Chromecast running from the Android tablet app.

3. Recordings and channels don't show up sometimes. A delete and re-add of the Tablo usually fixes it (or a reboot of the Tablo), but that shouldn't happen.

4. If you live in an area with multiple ABCs, CBSs, NBCs, etc, the Tablo will record a scheduled show from each one. This is a high priority issue that Tablo is working on.

This is still a terrific device, though we haven't seen its full potential yet.
AnthonyNYC and dandiego like this.
post #457 of 672 Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the list @Snowcat! Sharing this with the team.

Work is underway on a lot of these fronts so stay tuned! 

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #458 of 672 Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With regard to the FF/REW times,  I think it would be cool if we can set how many seconds the Tablo skips.  That way if I am more comfortable with 15 seconds vs 30,  I could change it.   Even better would be the ability to associate FF/REW intervals with shows.  For example,  when watching football it would be handy to skip based on the avg time between plays. 

-MM13

post #459 of 672 Old 06-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

I am glad to hear that some of the 4-tuners are in users' hands now. Here is my list of things still left for the Tablo folks to do:

1. Manual recordings (setting time/date/channel as opposed to selecting a show). Until this feature is implemented, every user has to have a subscription to use the Tablo. I am sure the Tablo folks would like to start collecting money on subscriptions, but they can't until this is done.

No matter how many times I read item #1, I don't understand..

Manual recordings (setting time/date/channel as opposed to selecting a show). Until this feature is implemented, every user has to have a subscription to use the Tablo (Ok, so you need a subscription to record). I am sure the Tablo folks would like to start collecting money on subscriptions (You already said you must have a subscription), but they can't until this is done (But when "Manual Recordings" is implemented you won't need a subscription?)

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #460 of 672 Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

No matter how many times I read item #1, I don't understand..

Manual recordings (setting time/date/channel as opposed to selecting a show). Until this feature is implemented, every user has to have a subscription to use the Tablo (Ok, so you need a subscription to record). I am sure the Tablo folks would like to start collecting money on subscriptions (You already said you must have a subscription), but they can't until this is done (But when "Manual Recordings" is implemented you won't need a subscription?)

Sure, let me clarify. All the original pre-order users got a free one-year guide subscription. Any users after that were only supposed to get a one-month free guide subscription, and then pay the monthly, yearly, or lifetime fee.

Without a subscription, the only way to record shows on the Tablo would be to set it up VCR-style (select a channel, date, and time). But since that feature isn't ready yet, the company has had to extend their free subscriptions to all customers. They don't want to upset their customers by taking away their ability to record completely, especially since they have been promising this feature during the original preorder phase.

When Manual recording is implemented, you don't have to have a subscription, though you also lose the "Tablo Connect" feature as well without one.
AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #461 of 672 Old 06-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41

I think he means that current buyers receive a free subscription to the program guide because manual programming is not yet possible - Tablo is working on it.

He's saying that Tablo, in good conscience, could not charge you for the program guide until such time as it's possible to program manually. Fair enough - this isn't a Tivo!

I've never seen it explicitly stated that that's what Tablo is doing but it would be a nice gesture not to strong-arm people into paying for the program guide if they don't really want it.

Edit: Oops! It's already been answered, sorry.

AnthonyNYC likes this.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #462 of 672 Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 AM

@laridae Yes, we give people the option but a lot of our cooler features rely on the content from the subscription so we have to turn those features off for the non-subscription folks. Considering it costs the same as a trip to the coffee shop, we're hoping most of our users will pay the $5/month.

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #463 of 672 Old 06-05-2014, 04:34 PM

Liked: 10

Can a hard drive used with Tablo be cloned or image copied using a Windows PC? I have a new hard drive that I wish to replace my current one with, but I would like to not lose my current recordings.

post #464 of 672 Old 06-06-2014, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer486 View Post

Can a hard drive used with Tablo be cloned or image copied using a Windows PC? I have a new hard drive that I wish to replace my current one with, but I would like to not lose my current recordings.

Some users have successfully made this happen. Check out this thread for more info: http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/248/hard-drive-image-transfer-and-file-system-expansion-successful#latest
AnthonyNYC and Warhammer486 like this.
post #465 of 672 Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

@laridae
 Yes, we give people the option but a lot of our cooler features rely on the content from the subscription so we have to turn those features off for the non-subscription folks. Considering it costs the same as a trip to the coffee shop, we're hoping most of our users will pay the $5/month.

Have you started shipping the 4 tuner pre-orders?
I thought I saw a user post that they had received their unit already.
I have not seen a shipping notification and I placed my pre-order the day it was announced. Thanks.
post #466 of 672 Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have red the Tablo TV manual, but I do not think that setup shows signal strench or quality?
post #467 of 672 Old 06-07-2014, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by informel View Post

I have red the Tablo TV manual, but I do not think that setup shows signal strench or quality?

When you do a channel scan (always done during setup, but a rescan can be launched at any time through settings), you will see all you channels and their signal strength. The strength is represented by five circles for full strength, three circles for marginal strength, and one circle for no signal (mine have always been 5 circles, so I don't know how bad three circles really is).

The strength only represents what was happening during the channel scan or rescan. A nice upgrade to the Tablo would be to show real-time signal strength while watching live TV.
AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #468 of 672 Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 AM

not exactly what I was looking for, I wish it would show the signal in real time, so I could use a phone or tablet on the roof to allign my antenna.

Anyway I just bought/install a Roku 3 (very fast ans snappy compare to my WD live TV) and waitng patiently for the Tablo 4 tuners to arrive
AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #469 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Have you started shipping the 4 tuner pre-orders?
I thought I saw a user post that they had received their unit already.
I have not seen a shipping notification and I placed my pre-order the day it was announced. Thanks.

*** Update *** We'll be shipping pre-ordered 4-Tuners between Monday and Wednesday of next week. 

We have shipped 4-Tuners to our Indiegogo supporters. They've been waiting since November to get theirs. We're still aiming for mid-June for a ship date for the pre-orders. Once I have a firm ship date, we'll let you know. 

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #470 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I wish it would show the signal in real time, so I could use a phone or tablet on the roof to allign my antenna.

You can use the channel scan feature in this way. 

What I did at my place was place my antenna in the spot I thought was best, performed a channel scan and then tweaked slightly and did another scan. I kept tweaking and scanning till I found the optimal placement. It took about 15 minutes total. 

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #471 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

*** Update *** We'll be shipping pre-ordered 4-Tuners between Monday and Wednesday of next week. 

That is great news. Please try to ship out on Monday, because Friday the 20'th I am leaving for 2 weeks of vacation in Yellowstone National Park and dont want the package sitting at my door step for 2 weeks. Thanks for the update.
post #472 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 PM

If you're taking requests,  ship mine out now, by drone make, and sure it gets here before I go to bed.:D

Thanks,

-MM13

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #473 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:

That is great news. Please try to ship out on Monday, because Friday the 20'th I am leaving for 2 weeks of vacation in Yellowstone National Park and dont want the package sitting at my door step for 2 weeks. Thanks for the update.

It's likely the US orders will go out Tues/Wed due to the fact they have to be shipped from our US warehouse. Would you like us to hold yours until you're back? 

AnthonyNYC likes this.
post #474 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

If you're taking requests,  ship mine out now, by drone make, and sure it gets here before I go to bed.:D

Thanks,

-MM13

Ha! Was just talking on Friday at a conference about how they're using drones to move packages of medical supplies around Africa to which I thought, "DRONE PIZZA DELIVERY!!!" 

Unfortunately, we do not ship Tablo via drone at this time. Maybe sometime in 2025. :D 

post #475 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Fine.  If you can't do a drone can you at least draw a dinosaur eating my cable box on the box for me?  It will make me feel special.

-MM13

post #476 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:

Don't take any chance, send it to me,biggrin.gif
post #477 of 672 Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

received an email, we can now pre-order the 4 tuner model.

I just ordered mine.smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

No. Please ship and upgrade the shipping to overnight (even at added expense). Thank you.
post #478 of 672 Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

Fine.  If you can't do a drone can you at least draw a dinosaur eating my cable box on the box for me?  It will make me feel special.

-MM13

Are you located in Canada? If so, I will draw you a dinosaur. If you're in the US, unfortunately I can't ask our logistics team there to add arts & crafts to their 'to-do' list :)  

post #479 of 672 Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:

No. Please ship and upgrade the shipping to overnight (even at added expense). Thank you.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we can do an overnight. I'll ask but I don't think it's possible. 

post #480 of 672 Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM

Unfortunately not.   You're TabloTV, nothing shall stop you from your (my) mission  :)

Actually a Dinosaur eating a cable box or cable van would be a good logo or mascot.  

-MM13

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page