Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #481 of 728 Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36

Darn! 

Oh well, you'll have to imagine the awesome dinosaur eating a cable box drawing that my grade 9 art class skills would have provided to you. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 728 Old 06-10-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so an external HD i have died i think and I need to get one for Tablo anyway so I was planning on buying two 1 TB drives. I was reading the hard drive list and it said no NAS drives. They don't work at all? I figured I would just buy 2 NAS compatable devices one for Tablo and one to replace my dead one. But if this isn't going to work I will have to buy 2 different models. Any advice?
post #483 of 728 Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post

Ok so an external HD i have died i think and I need to get one for Tablo anyway so I was planning on buying two 1 TB drives. I was reading the hard drive list and it said no NAS drives. They don't work at all? I figured I would just buy 2 NAS compatable devices one for Tablo and one to replace my dead one. But if this isn't going to work I will have to buy 2 different models. Any advice?

We don't currently support NAS. I assume you've read this blog post? http://www.tablotv.com/blog/back-away-from-that-flash-drive

post #484 of 728 Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes thats the article, I was just wanting some clarification. Models supporting NAS do not work at all? Or is it the NAS features that aren't supported? I don't care about NAS for Tablo, I would just use it for local Tablo storage.
post #485 of 728 Old 06-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Darn! 

Oh well, you'll have to imagine the awesome dinosaur eating a cable box drawing that my grade 9 art class skills would have provided to you. 

Well, that's a cute image alright but I think you guys have your symbolism backwards;

Surely it's the guys still Selling/Renting/Using the cable boxes that are the dinosaurs here!

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #486 of 728 Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Laridae,

Think deeper.  Dinosaur is OTA / Antenna's ("You mean I can get HDTV with an antenna?").  The dinosaurs are back with a vengeance and consuming their threat = Cable.  And who doesn't like dinosaurs and hate cable?

-MM13

post #487 of 728 Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmann05 View Post

Yes thats the article, I was just wanting some clarification. Models supporting NAS do not work at all? Or is it the NAS features that aren't supported? I don't care about NAS for Tablo, I would just use it for local Tablo storage.

If you can connect it via USB and it's USB powered (not externally powered) and under 2 TB it's generally OK with the exception of a few versions that randomly show up as 4k sector sizes or have disconnect issues. Just know that the 'tried and tested' list are the safest options for use with Tablo. 

post #488 of 728 Old 06-12-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
anybody tried tablo with new roku streaming stick? everything work ok?
post #489 of 728 Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post
anybody tried tablo with new roku streaming stick? everything work ok?
One of the users in the Tablo support forum (who lives in the same city as me) has had a lot of buffering issues using the Roku stick (show would pause and say "buffering" and then resume a few seconds later). He ended up switching to a Roku 3 (which I also use), and the buffering issues went away.

I haven't read of any other Tablo user's experience with the Roku stick, so it might work better for you.
post #490 of 728 Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM

@brg606 - We aren't recommending the Roku stick at the moment because its WiFi antenna is lacking which can cause buffering issues. You can read more about it here: http://www.tablotv.com/blog/the-tabl...ting-ecosystem

That being said, some people are using it successfully. It seems to be a bit hit or miss.
post #491 of 728 Old 06-12-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by qz3fwd

That is great news. Please try to ship out on Monday, because Friday the 20'th I am leaving for 2 weeks of vacation in Yellowstone National Park and dont want the package sitting at my door step for 2 weeks. Thanks for the update.

It's likely the US orders will go out Tues/Wed due to the fact they have to be shipped from our US warehouse. Would you like us to hold yours until you're back?
No-go ahead and ship nxt week. I assume you require signature at delivery?
post #492 of 728 Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have bought a Roku 3 to go with my Tablo tuners and retired my WD TV live, but thinking using it on my second TV, can it be use with Tablo TV tuner?
post #493 of 728 Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just received my payment processed notification for my 4-tuner Tablo!

Can't wait for my doodle of a Dinosaur eating a cable truck....Oh wait, no, not getting that. I can't wait for my 4-Tuner Tablo!

Got my Amazon Basic Antenna yesterday and my usb powered 2TB Seagate drive will be here tomorrow.

-MM13
TabloTV likes this.
post #494 of 728 Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post
Just received my payment processed notification for my 4-tuner Tablo!

Can't wait for my doodle of a Dinosaur eating a cable truck....Oh wait, no, not getting that. I can't wait for my 4-Tuner Tablo!

Got my Amazon Basic Antenna yesterday and my usb powered 2TB Seagate drive will be here tomorrow.

-MM13
I also received notification of payment for my 4 tuner tablo dvr! Now I need to order a hard drive from Newegg for when I get back from vacation July 4th. Exciting times.
TabloTV likes this.
post #495 of 728 Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
No-go ahead and ship nxt week. I assume you require signature at delivery?
It's shipped USPS priority but I'm not sure about the signature requirement... Will check.
Mattman13 likes this.
post #496 of 728 Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by informel View Post
I have bought a Roku 3 to go with my Tablo tuners and retired my WD TV live, but thinking using it on my second TV, can it be use with Tablo TV tuner?
We don't currently integrate with WDTV live.

If you have a computer with an HDMI out you can connect it to that TV and use the web-based app if you'd like.
post #497 of 728 Old 06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's shipped USPS priority but I'm not sure about the signature requirement... Will check.
It didn't require a signature when I got my 2-tuner. It's been a long time since I have had anything that needed a signature.
post #498 of 728 Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
I also received notification of payment for my 4 tuner tablo dvr! Now I need to order a hard drive from Newegg for when I get back from vacation July 4th. Exciting times.
same for me
post #499 of 728 Old 06-14-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
Quote:
It didn't require a signature when I got my 2-tuner. It's been a long time since I have had anything that needed a signature.
Thanks-If shipped via USPS Priority Mail it should arrive before I leave for vacation.
Hopefully I receive a tracking number though the USPS tracking system kinda sucked the last time I used it-nowhere near as informative and up to date as UPS's tracking system web service...
post #500 of 728 Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I would love to get this unit!!! But the problem is I live 6 miles from the edge of town in Eugene Oregon. 3 miles from the last Comcast internet availability. So My only 3 internet options are Dish Network and another satellite internet or Verizon Home Fushion Broadband internet. I went with Verizon as it is the fastest and they actually add your limited data in a true manner. I tried Dish but if you literally watched a 5 minute youtube video you would be at like 500mb used already. I am not kidding, somehow their "adding" data is WAYYY skewed. I like everything about Verizon, I have added the data and it stays true, it is fast to load HD video. BUT...I have 20gb a month, or 30 if I opted. So I can't do this. IMO opinion in this day and age we should no longer have limited data in any form. I guess my hope is if Comcast will extend out this far...only another 3 miles
post #501 of 728 Old 06-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I would love to get this unit!!! But the problem is I live 6 miles from the edge of town in Eugene Oregon. 3 miles from the last Comcast internet availability. So My only 3 internet options are Dish Network and another satellite internet or Verizon Home Fushion Broadband internet. I went with Verizon as it is the fastest and they actually add your limited data in a true manner. I tried Dish but if you literally watched a 5 minute youtube video you would be at like 500mb used already. I am not kidding, somehow their "adding" data is WAYYY skewed. I like everything about Verizon, I have added the data and it stays true, it is fast to load HD video. BUT...I have 20gb a month, or 30 if I opted. So I can't do this. IMO opinion in this day and age we should no longer have limited data in any form. I guess my hope is if Comcast will extend out this far...only another 3 miles
You do realize that this is not an internet streamer of content right? you need an antenna in order to watch anything. Tablo wont use up your caps if you dont stream outside your home. inside your home it will use minimal bandwidth, only for guide data.
post #502 of 728 Old 06-15-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Quote:
You do realize that this is not an internet streamer of content right? you need an antenna in order to watch anything. Tablo wont use up your caps if you dont stream outside your home. inside your home it will use minimal bandwidth, only for guide data.
No I did not realize that. I have been wanting to venture towards HD TV with the HD antenna setup but just haven't ventured over here or done any research yet on the subject even in general. So you are telling me I can have one of these units, watch HD TV and it will not use my internet data? Or just very minority for texting type data? Rather the signal will come through the HD antenna?
post #503 of 728 Old 06-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No I did not realize that. I have been wanting to venture towards HD TV with the HD antenna setup but just haven't ventured over here or done any research yet on the subject even in general. So you are telling me I can have one of these units, watch HD TV and it will not use my internet data? Or just very minority for texting type data? Rather the signal will come through the HD antenna?
the only required internet data it will use its for its daily (i think its daily) download of guide data. How much does that use? i have no idea, i dont own one so someone else can shed insight on that but i cant imagine it being much. You can also watch your recordings or live tv on your mobile device when you are out of your home and home network, but that uses your internet connection and it will be a lot. So dont use that feature since you are heavily restricted.
post #504 of 728 Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
the only required internet data it will use its for its daily (i think its daily) download of guide data. How much does that use? i have no idea, i dont own one so someone else can shed insight on that but i cant imagine it being much. You can also watch your recordings or live tv on your mobile device when you are out of your home and home network, but that uses your internet connection and it will be a lot. So dont use that feature since you are heavily restricted.

No worries. So this will sound a bit primitive and will be quite revealing in my lack of knowledge here but I am intrigued by this device and possibly running it in my system. I understand that it will use the HD antenna and not internet data to get the signal, thats awesome! No do I have to have a smart phone or tablet to act as the remote? My wife and I actually made a decision to downgrade from iPhones and sell our precious retina display iPads. It was more of a relational decision over anything else. So if I need one I can always order one to have around. I think there was an app correct that acts as the guide? What systems is it capable on?
post #505 of 728 Old 06-15-2014, 07:03 PM

First think to ask your self is do you want to receive your TV from an Antenna, if the answer is no the you stop right here.

If the answer is yes, the do you want to record the show to view them at a later data, if the answer is no, the just get an antenna and connect it to your TV.

If you do want to record TV shows, the can can buy the Tablo tuner, there is 2 models, 2 tuners and 4 tuners.

2 tuners enable you to record 2 shows at once and the 4 tuners... I am sure you know the answer. Also this device does not connect directly to your TV. It stream the content of the channel or recorded shows over your local network, you will need a box like the Roku 3 to send the content to your TV and because it does not come with a remote, you need a tablet or smart pĥone to control it.

so to recap you need:
An antenna, coax cable and possibly a preamp to boost the signal.
A Tablo device (2 or 4 tuner), an external hard disk to record the show
A device to stream the content to your TV like the Roku 3
a smart phone, tablet, PC, or laptop to control your Tablo.

It is a big investment, but you will recoup, your investment in about a year
post #506 of 728 Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First think to ask your self is do you want to receive your TV from an Antenna, if the answer is no the you stop right here.

If the answer is yes, the do you want to record the show to view them at a later data, if the answer is no, the just get an antenna and connect it to your TV.

If you do want to record TV shows, the can can buy the Tablo tuner, there is 2 models, 2 tuners and 4 tuners.

2 tuners enable you to record 2 shows at once and the 4 tuners... I am sure you know the answer. Also this device does not connect directly to your TV. It stream the content of the channel or recorded shows over your local network, you will need a box like the Roku 3 to send the content to your TV and because it does not come with a remote, you need a tablet or smart pĥone to control it.

so to recap you need:

It is a big investment, but you will recoup, your investment in about a year
I see. I have my Mac mini in my HT setup. Forgive me for being naive but I am learning this from the start. But what exactly does the Roku do? It just seems I could connect the Tablo tuner to my Denon AVR via hdmi and that will get the signal to my tv. Then a tablet to control the Tablo?
post #507 of 728 Old 06-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see. I have my Mac mini in my HT setup. Forgive me for being naive but I am learning this from the start. But what exactly does the Roku do? It just seems I could connect the Tablo tuner to my Denon AVR via hdmi and that will get the signal to my tv. Then a tablet to control the Tablo?
The Tablo has no outputs. So if you want to watch your recorded shows on a TV, then you need an AppleTv, Roku, or Chromecast.

Last edited by snowcat; 06-16-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #508 of 728 Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
Quote:

The Tablo has no outputs. So if you want to watch your recorded shows on a TV, then you needs an AppleTv, Roku, or Chromecast.
Correct-this "DVR" has absolutely no video/audio outputs.
No HDMI Output.
No Component Video/Audio Output.
No S-Video, RCA, DVI, Displayport, nor VGA output.
You cannot directly connect this to your AVR or HDTV.

You need one of the following to view the material it records:
(1) Smartphone
(2) Computer
(3) Tablet
(4) Chromecase / Roku 3.

It WILL use your internet connection for:
(1) Guide date - small amounts of bandwidth (negligible)
(2) Cover artwork (images) - still likely small amounts of bandwidth.

Only if you watch recorded content OUTSIDE of your home will it consume large amounts of internet bandwidth.

Good luck.

Honestly it sounds like you are looking for a Tivo, which can be directly connected to your HDTV / AVR-but also entails a monthly subscription fee for guide data.
post #509 of 728 Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

so to recap you need:
You guys have @jlpowell84 's questions pretty well covered but you did forget something on this list, a USB hard drive for recordings.
post #510 of 728 Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 AM

Cool my order has ship!

Na na na, na

My order has shipped
Mattman13 likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version