post #511 of 727 Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post
You guys have @jlpowell84's questions pretty well covered but you did forget something on this list, a USB hard drive for recordings.
Do you email tracking numbers for oders that have shipped?
Can you email tracking numbers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 727 Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Do you email tracking numbers for oders that have shipped?
Can you email tracking numbers?
@qz3fwd We’re processing orders for shipment right now - you will receive your tracking number at some point today.
post #513 of 727 Old 06-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got confirmation that it was delivered to my mailbox, I will check that tonight
post #514 of 727 Old 06-18-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by informel View Post
I got confirmation that it was delivered to my mailbox, I will check that tonight
I hooked up my Tablo
setup is easy, but I do not see the TV guide, channel are there but it is empty.

I added the channel to my Roku, but when I try to watch TV, my Roku reboot,

I AM NOT HAPPY SO FAR
post #515 of 727 Old 06-19-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
I hooked up my Tablo
setup is easy, but I do not see the TV guide, channel are there but it is empty.

I added the channel to my Roku, but when I try to watch TV, my Roku reboot,

I AM NOT HAPPY SO FAR
OK , I am a happy camper now, This morning I did a reset on my Tablo, still no go, but after an hour I saw that there was a firmware update, did it and it solved everything
post #516 of 727 Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 AM

I have one question
You are watching TV and decide from there to record the show for later view.

From the Roku you have to back out of the show and back again to go to recording, that probably stop the stream right?

I sthere a way to record the show that you have started to watch without loosing anything using only the Roku, doing it from a laptop is not a solution (according to my wife)
post #517 of 727 Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The stream won't stop if you leave it. Let's say you are on FOX and then you switch to ABC (and this is using any device). 10 minutes later, you could still switch back to FOX, and the switch is immediate since it was still buffering it the whole time.

What I don't know is the exact amount of time it buffers a particular channel. It might be 30 minutes, 1 hour, or multiple hours. If you have the tuner, you could be be buffering three shows while watching/recording a 4th one.

One recent feature request on the Tablo forum is to make what you want to happen much easier by hitting a button on the Roku (maybe the asterisk) and say "record now" while watching a live tv show.

I can't remember what happens if you are watching a TV show and you decide to record it halfway through. It will either record the whole thing or just the point where you started the recording. Let me try it out tonight.
post #518 of 727 Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
I can't remember what happens if you are watching a TV show and you decide to record it halfway through. It will either record the whole thing or just the point where you started the recording.
For reference TiVo (if it's in the buffer) will record the entire show and WMC only records from the point you hit record on the remote.
post #519 of 727 Old 06-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I did an experiment. I was watching a live tv show, and then a few minutes later, I went to record it. It started the recording at the point that I started recording.

However, I went back to live TV on the Roku, and I was able to rewind all the back to when I started watching the show (so before the recording started).

So hopefully that answers your question.
post #520 of 727 Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 AM

dors answer my question,but ...

Quote:
Ok, I did an experiment. I was watching a live tv show, and then a few minutes later, I went to record it. It started the recording at the point that I started recording.

However, I went back to live TV on the Roku, and I was able to rewind all the back to when I started watching the show (so before the recording started).

So hopefully that answers your question.
Yes it does answer my question, but that is not what people wants, that is why peoples requested that one of the button on the Roku be programmed to record now and not loosing the beginning or the show

Last edited by informel; 06-29-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: I hâte auto-corrector
post #521 of 727 Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes it does answer my question, but that is not what people wants, that is why peoples requested that one of the button on the Roku be programmed to record now and not loosing the beginning or the show
FYI, none of the interfaces have a record now feature while watching live tv. All of them require you to exit viewing your show to record. And they all record from the point of when you start recording, no matter how long that channel has been buffering.
post #522 of 727 Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
FYI, none of the interfaces have a record now feature while watching live tv. All of them require you to exit viewing your show to record. And they all record from the point of when you start recording, no matter how long that channel has been buffering.
But since it is buffering, I am sure that this can be solved with software.

But other feature like preview while fast fowarding might be harder as I notice that I do not see preview on my Roku from any channel anyway.

Also implemeting AC3 (dolby) might be harder (I would hate to hear that it can't be done because of hardware limitation)
post #523 of 727 Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
?..implementing AC3 (dolby) might be harder (I would hate to hear that it can't be done because of hardware limitation)
I explicitly asked about this on the Tablo Community forum and got this reply on 2014/05/26:

http://community.tablotv.com/discuss.../#Comment_1449

"Update on AC3 passthrough:

YES it is possible and the ETA is the 2nd half of 2014. When I'm able to narrow that down a bit for you guys I will. "
post #524 of 727 Old 07-03-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
@informel @jakline It's certainly not a hardware limitation - there's just some work involved on the implementation. But, it's coming... I wish I could offer more detail on when, but I can't just yet. Stay tuned, guys.
post #525 of 727 Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Really, really cool to have TabloTV represented in this thread. Kudos to you TabloTV for doing so.

I must admit that this one of the neatest DVR solutions I've heard of; yet I'm reluctant to pull-the-trigger, I'm hoping just out of ignorance...

Have any of you successfully incorporated your TabloTV with your entire AV set-up such that you can utilize your surround system when viewing TV, a recording? In another non-Tablo discussion, someone revealed that they have done with a Roku, I believe. I didn't invest much time to understand how, but I believe the guy. I guess if the AVR is connected to the web, would be one solution?

As a tuner, have you all been satisfied, as compared to other tuners, such as that in the TV itself?

Thanks much!
TabloTV likes this.
post #526 of 727 Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

The Tablo depends on other devices to connect to AV systems and TVs. So if you have a system with a Roku, AppleTv, or Chromecast (though Chromecast is still very limited), and those systems are part of your AV system, it will work. However, at the moment there is no multichannel (AC3) sound. It won't require new hardware, but the firmware for that is still not in place yet.

My 2 tuner Tablo picks up the OTA signals just as well as my TV does. On the Tablo support forum, several posters are saying the 4 tuner doesn't do as good as a job, possibly due to more splitting of the signal.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #527 of 727 Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The Tablo depends on other devices to connect to AV systems and TVs. So if you have a system with a Roku, AppleTv, or Chromecast (though Chromecast is still very limited), and those systems are part of your AV system, it will work. However, at the moment there is no multichannel (AC3) sound. It won't require new hardware, but the firmware for that is still not in place yet.

My 2 tuner Tablo picks up the OTA signals just as well as my TV does. On the Tablo support forum, several posters are saying the 4 tuner doesn't do as good as a job, possibly due to more splitting of the signal.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply snowcat.

I got a Chromecast off Amazon a few weeks ago so I can stream from a computer to the TV at a house I'm remodeling for the family. Pretty neat device. I believe I know what you mean about Chromecast being limited in that respect...

I'm contemplating getting a Roku 3 or AppleTV next. Even though I'm more of a Mac guy, the Roku 3 has the edge at the moment...

I'm doing my best to visualize, my apologies in advance, but since the Roku 3 has a remote control, for those with a learning remote such as a Harmony 1, if it learns the Roku 3 like all other remotes in the AV system, if configured properly, would there be a need to use a networked device (like a phone or tablet) with the Tablo TV? The more I think about it, I think it would still be needed. I would prefer one remote for any / all demands on the AV system. Phone is charging in the bedroom, iPad is in a backpack downstairs, and one is off to get such a device to access the DVR, would sort of suck. I'm hoping the Roku 3 is sort of way around that, allowing for one remote to control to handle all AV duties...

Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
post #528 of 727 Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have read the tablo was successfully tested using the roku 2 & 3, but there were reports of problems with the streaming stick. has anyone successfully used tablo with the roku 1? it has nearly the same hardware specs as the roku 2.
post #529 of 727 Old 07-05-2014, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

TonyB1966, to do the initial setup of the system, you need an iPad, Android Tablet (4.1 or better), or a PC/Mac running Chrome or Safari. Once it's set up, you could do about everything else (watch live TV, watch recordings, set up recordings, and delete recordings) with just a Roku. You do need that first list to apply firmware updates to the Roku as well.

Brg606, based on the posts on the Tablo Community forum, the Roku 1 does work, but not very well. It is just slow and you will see more buffering issues with it. Even the Roku 2 sees that.

There is supposed to be a big firmware update to the Tablos any day now, but the support folks haven't specified exactly what will be changing. The web interface was modified Friday morning to add skip and rewind buttons, and it allow the user to minimize the viewing window so that they can select and record a show without having to close all the way out of their current show.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #530 of 727 Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
TonyB1966, to do the initial setup of the system, you need an iPad, Android Tablet (4.1 or better), or a PC/Mac running Chrome or Safari. Once it's set up, you could do about everything else (watch live TV, watch recordings, set up recordings, and delete recordings) with just a Roku. You do need that first list to apply firmware updates to the Roku as well...
Thank you for the follow-up snowcat.

Tablo is sounding more like a contender for what I envision in this room. When you say that it can do about everything through the Roku, which equates to a universal remote control to me (ya!), what types of actions would not be possible, minus the initial set-up, as you explained? Maybe pause live TV, recordings, rewind, fast forward, etc would still need to be through a networked device...

Thanks again.
post #531 of 727 Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

The one big advantage the Roku has over AppleTv and Chromecast is that the Roku doesn't need anything besides the remote (and you can use the Roku or a universal remote).

With the Roku, you can pause, rewind, FF, and play live TV and recordings. You can browse by category (TV Shows, Movies, and Sports) to find shows (14 day guide) and then set up recordings (single show, all of series, or all new episodes of a series). You can also delete shows and unschedule programs.

The one thing the Roku doesn't do that is available through the tablet apps or the web app is show a 24 hour live tv program grid. When you go to liveTV on the Roku, all you will see are each channel and what show is currently on. This also means that if you don't have a guide subscription, you would need another device (like a PC or tablet) to set up recordings by date/time/channel. Right now, everyone had a guide subscription, because the manual recording option is still not available, and even when it is available, I highly recommend the subscription (monthly, yearly, or lifetime).
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #532 of 727 Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 PM

I really appreciate the education snowcat. It takes your time and is much appreciated.

I was going to ask about Apple TV and Chromecast as well, but especially Apple TV, as it too includes a remote control. But, it sounds like the Roku just interfaces better with the Tablo. If I got the Tablo, I'd purchase the Lifetime service, which is a fantastic deal being tied to the person, not the box's lifetime and even includes multiple boxes.

My initial thoughts on the Tablo was that it would be great in the bedroom, guest room, or on the kitchen TV's, but maybe not so ideal when trying to fold into into AV system. My line of questioning is to better educate myself to hopefully realize that this way of thinking is not necessarily accurate...

From what you explained, one can only get the 24 hour guide to globally browse what's on now and going forward across all channels, via a networked device - that the introduction of a Roku cannot address that situation.

That's fairly important here as that is what we do when we first fire-up the TV - browse the channels to see what we might want to watch live, before going into the recordings... We'd need to do so with a handy phone, tablet or computer. Again, if I understood correctly...

Our new TV is not a "smart" TV, but it does have a USB port, currently driving Chromecast. Sounds like that would allow us to use Tablo. I might need to buy one, and try it out for a few weeks. Looks like one can return a Tablo within 30 days of purchase for a full refund...
post #533 of 727 Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

With the Roku, you can still go to the live TV section and see what is currently on each channel. You just don't see anything beyond that, while on the other interfaces you see the traditional TV grid.

AppleTV uses Airplay to stream to the device. There is not a native AppleTv channel for the Tablo, though once the show has been selected, you can use the AppleTv remote to do everything like the Roku.

Chromecast requires either an Android Tablet or a web browser to use. The web browser support was just put in, so I haven't had a chance to test it. The Android Tablet app has some issues not found in the iPad or web apps (can't ff or rewind liveTV - just pause and play. Watching a live show that is being recorded always starts over at the beginning (and the lack of a FF really hurts). I ended up not using my Chromecast anymore.

If you do get this to try out, please look at the tested hard drive list here: http://community.tablotv.com/discuss...-drives#latest There are some 2TB drives out there that don't work due to a 4k sector size, and that really frustrates some customers. I post regularly on that forum as well, trying to help out as I can from a consumer standpoint.

I am glad I could help.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #534 of 727 Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 AM

It seems like I'll need to try and find-out to see how user-friendly this will be for us. It's a bit more expensive of a proposition needing to get a Roku also. Thankfully, I have an external HD that I got for the DVR+ and it's confirmed as "good" for the Tablo (My Passport Ultra 2 TB). Thank you for that information.

That all said, with Amazon's release of their Fire TV's, raising the specs quite a bit, Roku 4 is expected rather soon. Of course Apple TV 4 has been expected for a while now; and if it has a tuner and DVR as well, as some are discussing, that would be enticing for some. Fewer boxes, more simplicity would be a good thing, and I have hope that Apple can pull it off. We shall see...

Thanks again snowcat.
post #535 of 727 Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have been looking at Tablo and trying to decide if it has what I want.

I plan on using this with a Roku 3 and I would like to set it up for surround sound when/if the firmware needed for AC3 is released. However, if I connect the Roku to the TV, then I lose the AC3 since optical connection from the TV to my home theater stereo will only support 2.1 sound. My home theater does not have a hdmi input only a optical video input. Are there any workarounds for this? The TV is a 4 year old Samsung LN46B630 and the home theater is a 4 year old Sony BDVE770W.

Last edited by phughes200; 07-06-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: clarify
post #536 of 727 Old 07-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
^ I should have googled. There are many HDMI switches with optical audio outputs. Can anybody recommend one that works well? Those of us with home theaters without HDMI inputs will probably need one for surround sound.

On a side note, thanks to all the posters who posted their experience. It really helps the newbies understand the technology and what the Tablo can and cannot do. It is really seems like a amazing device.
snowcat likes this.
post #537 of 727 Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phughes200 View Post

I plan on using this with a Roku 3 and I would like to set it up for surround sound when/if the firmware needed for AC3 is released. However, if I connect the Roku to the TV, then I lose the AC3 since optical connection from the TV to my home theater stereo will only support 2.1 sound. My home theater does not have a hdmi input only a optical video input. Are there any workarounds for this? The TV is a 4 year old Samsung LN46B630 and the home theater is a 4 year old Sony BDVE770W.
Other than getting a more up to date receiver, you can get a HDMI converter box or switch, like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-...D-Manager.html

Last edited by csmith; 07-07-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #538 of 727 Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by phughes200 View Post
I'm hoping to buy the next version of Tablo TV once they get the bugs out and fix a few things to make it truly family-friendly and not just for early-adopters and video aficionados (aka nerds):

1. Need HDMI output to the main TV
  2. Need rock-solid Chromecasting to secondary TV's (no Roku's needed), and
  3. Need manual programmability - no subscription needed
Until it has these things I'm sitting here with my nose pressed up against the glass patiently waiting. This fall, perhaps?
TonyB1966 and jamez68 like this.

Cable-free since Nov 2013

Last edited by laridae; 07-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.
post #539 of 727 Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post
I'm hoping to buy the next version of Tablo TV once they get the bugs out and fix a few things to make it truly family-friendly and not just for early-adopters and video aficionados (aka nerds):

Until it has these things I'm sitting here with my nose pressed up against the glass patiently waiting. This fall, perhaps?
Solid post. I don't have a Tablo, but from my readings, and a good part of that here, those nail it, particularly the first two.

When was Tablo released? If a year or more, maybe soon indeed...

I believe Apple TV 3 and Roku 3 are well over a year, and there are rumblings of 4th versions coming...

EDIT / ADD - Given that this thread starts late last year, and after re-reading the first few posts, looks like Tablo has been on the mkt about 6 month. Maybe nothing new for a while...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 07-07-2014 at 10:38 AM.
post #540 of 727 Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

1. Won't happen. The Tablo is designed to stream to multiple devices and not be tied down to any one device/tv set.
2. Once they get the Android tablet app kinks out and get Chromecast support of the Tablo on the iPad, it should be a lot better. Don't know how long it will take.
3. I expect that to be released any day now.

The Tablo has been out since the beginning of April for the general public.

Last edited by snowcat; 07-07-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page