Official Tablo thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > Official Tablo thread
TonyB1966's Avatar TonyB1966 03:41 PM 07-07-2014
snowcat, wouldn't it be possible to have an HDMI out, while still having the same network connectivity that makes Tablo very alluring? If it were to be detrimental, besides being more expensive, I understand of course. Maybe just another model, with an included remote control, that users can easily fold into their existing systems without having to buy another box and having to dork around with another control module (phone, tablet, computer).

Maybe I'm in the minority, but as much as I like Tablo and what it affords, I'm really turned-off by the need to use a networked device. And, it's nothing against networked devices of course, just the need to use another controlling unit to accomplish all AV needs. In other rooms in the house where those TV's are not surrounded by an AVR, amps, gaming devices, karaoke machine, 9 speakers, etc..., Tablo seems like a better solution from a control perspective.

There are of course virtues to having a wired, physical connections; and I prefer a combo of wired and wireless. If I had a Tablo, I'd make use of the Ethernet port (to the router), as an example. I'm glad Tablo allows for that option, to transmit & receive through both means. For delivery to the screens, namely the TV, it would be nice to have that option there too.

We shall see what happens in the coming months...

laridae's Avatar laridae 05:24 PM 07-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
1. Won't happen. The Tablo is designed to stream to multiple devices and not be tied down to any one device/tv set.
Why can't it do both? This isn't my area, just brainstorming here, but seems to me my "main" desktop computer plugs directly into my ethernet which also plugs into my wireless router to support the other wifi devices in the house.

I realize this is obviously not the same thing as the OTA signal, but conceptually couldn't Tablo do something similar - support both - a "main" TV hardwired in by HDMI and other devices by Wifi?
Charles R's Avatar Charles R 05:38 PM 07-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post
I realize this is obviously not the same thing as the OTA signal, but conceptually couldn't Tablo do something similar - support both - a "main" TV hardwired in by HDMI and other devices by Wifi?
What would be gained... if you think about it. You would end up spending more than the additional cost of purchasing a Chromecast, Roku, etc and get a lot less in return. You need a remote either way so the installation isn't easier (in many cases one less remote using a streamer instead of adding a "Tablo HDMI remote"). With the media player you get a ton of streaming options and other advantages. I see the lack of a HDMI port as a plus... not a minus. Much like my network tuners (NAS, etc) mount it out of the way and forget about it.
laridae's Avatar laridae 05:43 PM 07-07-2014
Quote:
The Tablo has been out since the beginning of April for the general public. One of the great things about the Tablo is that all the functionality changes can be done through code and firmware updates. There probably won't be any new hardware versions for quite a while.
True, but unfortunately adding HDMI Would require a hardware change, obviously. I don't see adding HDMI as abandoning the streaming concept so much as building on it - adding a "fall-back" or default option for the less technically adept among us.

Of course companies don't like to change hardware too often - at least until the original development costs have been recovered! But I'm hoping that Tablo is as receptive on this issue as they have shown themselves to be on so many others. I'm not the only one harping on this - the need for HDMI is pretty much agreed by consensus.

You seem pretty sure about the company's plans. Do you have some insider info from Kanata that you can share with us?
TonyB1966's Avatar TonyB1966 05:48 PM 07-07-2014
Quote:
Why can't it do both? This isn't my area, just brainstorming here, but seems to me my "main" desktop computer plugs directly into my ethernet and also into my wireless router to support the other wifi devices in the house.

laridae, I had somewhat of a lengthy reply, that I lost, essentially asking the same, and more. So long as it doesn't compromise or degrade the networked experience, which by most accounts is fantastic, there are indeed benefits of a wired solution. Tablo thought it prudent to allow for a wired connection to the router, which I would do, knowing that wifi is present, a must for Tablo work as intended. A wired connection on the delivery end (HDMI), would be a nice option too.

For the other TV's in our house, I can see a more seamless integration with Tablo as they are not intertwined with such equipment as AVR's, amps, DVD's, a gaming device, karaoke machine and 9 connected speakers; all being operated by single universal smart remote control.

If not incorporating an HDMI out, maybe another model with such, along with a remote control, that can be learned by such a remote. The need for having a networked device handy, in addition to a remote control, is what I find to be a rather important obstacle.
laridae's Avatar laridae 06:15 PM 07-07-2014
Quote:
Need manual programmability - no subscription needed
Firmware released today now gives this functionality, among other improvements:

http://community.tablotv.com/discuss...e-2-1-12?new=1
snowcat's Avatar snowcat 05:01 AM 07-08-2014
Quote:
You seem pretty sure about the company's plans. Do you have some insider info from Kanata that you can share with us?
No insider info. I just read their blogs and message board posts frequently. One of the very first things that Tablo defended well before any were shipped was not having any video output ports like HDMI. http://www.tablotv.com/blog/why-oh-w...oney-thats-why

This new update that was mentioned above has a couple of really big features that people here have been asking about.
1. Manual recordings are now available. The interface is pretty cool, as you can give you recordings a name, and you can schedule them as a single event or a repeated event.

2. Closed Captioning now works on the Roku and the iPad. You get to it on the Roku by hitting the asterisk (*) button.
brg606's Avatar brg606 06:53 PM 07-08-2014
question......I will be cancelling my dish network service soon and going with the tablo. I have the vip722 dish dvr. my wife wants to know if there is a way to transfer what we currently have recorded on the dish dvr to the new hard drive for the tablo. thanks
phughes200's Avatar phughes200 09:45 PM 07-08-2014
From my limited research and even more limited knowledge, there are a few things to consider for those that want surround sound.

As others have posted, you will need another device such as a Roku to get the audio signal to your AVsystem. If the device has a HDMI output and your stereo has a HDMI input that can process the signal then I believe you are set to go. However if the AV system only has a Toslink optical input then you need a third device to separate the audio signal and video. Now the issue is that some services such as Netflix uses 5.1 DD+ which cannot be transmitted by the Toslink. Not sure in this case if you get no audio or a converted signal. Most likely it will be a factor of the device.
snowcat's Avatar snowcat 05:07 AM 07-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post
question......I will be cancelling my dish network service soon and going with the tablo. I have the vip722 dish dvr. my wife wants to know if there is a way to transfer what we currently have recorded on the dish dvr to the new hard drive for the tablo. thanks
While that would be awesome, I wasn't able to even transfer my recordings from an old Tablo to a new one.

(Though I am pretty sure the Tablo folks are working on that)
TabloTV's Avatar TabloTV 02:01 PM 07-09-2014
Quote:
While that would be awesome, I wasn't able to even transfer my recordings from an old Tablo to a new one.

(Though I am pretty sure the Tablo folks are working on that)
We are indeed. There's a painful convoluted way that should work sometimes, but we need a 'easy no-brainer' way that works 100% of the time. We'll get there, we just need a bit of time to work on it.
zaxxon1982's Avatar zaxxon1982 06:58 AM 07-13-2014
I just got my 4-tuner Tablo set up (took about an hour plus time spent browsing shows in the guide), and I am amazed at how well designed Tablo is. If it doesn't have a hardware failure yet to manifest, and as long as the guide is available, this will be one of my favorite pieces of home entertainment equipment.
TabloTV's Avatar TabloTV 02:03 PM 07-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxon1982 View Post
I just got my 4-tuner Tablo set up (took about an hour plus time spent browsing shows in the guide), and I am amazed at how well designed Tablo is. If it doesn't have a hardware failure yet to manifest, and as long as the guide is available, this will be one of my favorite pieces of home entertainment equipment.
Very happy to hear that you had a great 'out-of-the-box' experience!
steve771's Avatar steve771 08:09 PM 07-14-2014
I would unfortunately have to recommend against a Tablo right now. I tried the 4 tuner model and found it difficult to get everything working (never did totally). Instructions were pretty sparse. Tuner didn't work, then it did. Streaming to Roku was ok if wired, horrible on wireless. The box has worked for some, but for many, it is unreliable as a DVR. That's why I have a DVR, reliable time shifting.

On the plus side, I was able to return it for a full refund (minus shipping) @ Newegg.

I would consider it in the future, but at this time, it's not ready for prime time (pun intended).
jnsmith02 05:30 PM 07-16-2014
This is my first post on this forum and I want to thank everyone for their contributions which have been VERY helpful to me. I am hoping to "cut the cord" with dish when my contract runs out in Sept. I have read all 142 pages on the DVR+ and the 19 pages here. The page count alone is very informative. Based on all this I finally made a decision to buy!!!

I received my 4 tuner Tablo about four weeks ago, hooked it up and with very little fumbling I was able to get it up on my iPad and 2 rokus. It works GREAT and I can't believe the quality of the pic at 720. (and many of my recordings are OLD movies) I have now recorded 500 GB on my Seagate 1.5TB Backup Plus drive with no problems at all. It has not missed a beat or a recording! And unlike some, I love the fact that it runs across my internal wireless and there are NO hdmi cords. (I have run it on all 3 tvs with no problems. Yes, there are some improvements that I would like to see, but I have faith that they will come in time.

My only slight concern is with the temperature of the box - I have been monitoring it with a good surface thermo and it runs between 85 and 99 F. and the 99 seems to be a little high to me, but it works fine.

I am a happy camper so far.
Aero 1's Avatar Aero 1 06:15 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsmith02 View Post

My only slight concern is with the temperature of the box - I have been monitoring it with a good surface thermo and it runs between 85 and 99 F. and the 99 seems to be a little high to me, but it works fine.
http://www.tablotv.com/blog/feel-the...h_its-all-good
TabloTV's Avatar TabloTV 08:35 AM 07-17-2014
You beat me to it! I was just about to send over that blog post.

In any case, we're very glad to hear that you've been enjoying your Tablo!
jnsmith02 09:40 AM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess all is good.
hubcityraider's Avatar hubcityraider 11:12 AM 08-01-2014
Question regarding the Roku guide function. Are you able to scroll through the time slots in the immediate future to see what's on? Like say I sit down at noon on Sunday and I want to see what all the sports are for that afternoon beyond the current time slot.

ETA: I found this thread on Tablo's forums. Looks like this upgrade is on the list.
http://community.tablotv.com/discuss...-program-guide
brg606's Avatar brg606 09:57 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityraider View Post
Question regarding the Roku guide function. Are you able to scroll through the time slots in the immediate future to see what's on? Like say I sit down at noon on Sunday and I want to see what all the sports are for that afternoon beyond the current time slot.

ETA: I found this thread on Tablo's forums. Looks like this upgrade is on the list.
http://community.tablotv.com/discuss...-program-guide
in the meantime, if you have a roku there's a good channel called "what's on" that displays local ota guide info.
snowcat's Avatar snowcat 10:35 AM 08-06-2014
The Tablo folks finally implemented their subscriptions this month. What is great is that everyone's subscription is reset to Aug 1, 2014. As a 2-tuner preorder user, I have a year's subscription, so I don't need to buy one till Aug 2015. Many others had a 6 month deal, so they are good till early 2015.

Also, the 2-tuner Tablo is selling on Walmart.com now. That is a nice pickup by the Tablo folks.

I also noticed that you can get the 2-tuner and 4-tuner versions on Newegg for a 10% discount through 8/8.
WS65711's Avatar WS65711 11:33 AM 08-06-2014
Quote:
... the 2-tuner Tablo is selling on Walmart.com now. That is a nice pickup by the Tablo folks.
It will be interesting to see how long that lasts. Geeky items never seem to last long at Walmart. And the listing doesn't point out that there's no built-in method for hooking it up to a TV.. Look for many Tablo's to be returned by Joe6Pack . . .
wajo's Avatar wajo 01:44 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
The Tablo folks finally implemented their subscriptions this month. What is great is that everyone's subscription is reset to Aug 1, 2014. As a 2-tuner preorder user, I have a year's subscription, so I don't need to buy one till Aug 2015. Many others had a 6 month deal, so they are good till early 2015.

Also, the 2-tuner Tablo is selling on Walmart.com now. That is a nice pickup by the Tablo folks.

I also noticed that you can get the 2-tuner and 4-tuner versions on Newegg for a 10% discount through 8/8.
Walmart has both 2- and 4-tuner Tablo now $219 and $299.
laridae's Avatar laridae 03:11 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
It's described as a Philips on Walmart's website. What's that about?

Philips Tablo 4-Tuner Antenna DVR for HDTV:

wajo's Avatar wajo 03:18 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
It's described as a Philips on Walmart's website. What's that about?

Philips Tablo 4-Tuner Antenna DVR for HDTV:
Probably the same copywriter who wrote that the Magnavox 53x models provide "faithfully high definition recording of your favorite shows or movies"?

I couldn't get them to change that.
laridae's Avatar laridae 05:12 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
And the listing doesn't point out that there's no built-in method for hooking it up to a TV.. Look for many Tablo's to be returned by Joe6Pack . . .
Actually, if you read through the description it does describe how you'll need to cast it. But, I agree, who reads the fine print? And if they do read it, who's gonna know what it means?

A lot of people are gonna be caught by surprise, and yes, I expect there will be a lot of returns and the staff are gonna get tired of explaining why it doesn't work without them having to buy another device. I can just hear them now - "Rip-off"
WS65711's Avatar WS65711 05:33 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Actually, if you read through the description it does describe how you'll need to cast it. But, I agree, who reads the fine print? And if they do read it, who's gonna know what it means?

A lot of people are gonna be caught by surprise, and yes, I expect there will be a lot of returns and the staff are gonna get tired of explaining why it doesn't work without them having to buy another device. I can just hear them now - "Rip-off"
I read the description, but I'm still not seeing that "you have to cast it". Nowhere does it state that you can't hook it directly to a TV, like a DVR. Joe6Pack is gonna assume he could hook it up directly. I know I would (if I wasn't an AVS member). And I only drink one or two, once in a while . . .
jnsmith02 10:34 PM 08-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post
in the meantime, if you have a roku there's a good channel called "what's on" that displays local ota guide info.
OK, I give up!! I have looked all over Roku channels and I cannot find the "what"s on" channel. A little hint pls.

Thanks
snowcat's Avatar snowcat 07:15 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
I read the description, but I'm still not seeing that "you have to cast it". Nowhere does it state that you can't hook it directly to a TV, like a DVR. Joe6Pack is gonna assume he could hook it up directly. I know I would (if I wasn't an AVS member). And I only drink one or two, once in a while . . .
I finally have a review posted for the 2-tuner on walmart.com where I do try to explain the whole setup in more detail.

The 4-tuner was just added in the last few days, which is why I didn't mention it before. I am curious how many people will buy it from there.

Buy from Tablo direct - no sales tax, but $12 shipping, ground only
Buy from Walmart - sales tax, but can ship to store for free
Buy from Newegg - sales tax, but a variety of shipping of shipping options, including free shipping
wajo's Avatar wajo 07:23 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Although they don't say "you don't connect directly to your TV," the Walmart description has two places suggesting "casting" vs direct connection to a TV (bolded here);

Tablo is a next-generation DVR that plugs into an HDTV antenna to capture free, local HDTV broadcast programs including news and sports within the US and Canada. Unlike traditional DVRs that are connected to one TV, Tablo streams content to any connected device inside your home or anywhere you have Internet.

Tablo 2-Tuner DVR for HDTV Antennas:
  • Watch, pause and record live TV
  • Skip commercials
  • Schedule recordings
  • Manage existing recordings
  • Record up to 2 shows simultaneously
  • Watch on up to 6 devices simultaneously
  • Watch on PC/Mac or Apple iPad/Android tablet app interface
  • Stream live and recorded shows anywhere in the world
  • Streaming to TV via AppleTV/Roku/Chromecast
  • Apple iPad and Android tablet app interface

First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last