post #31 of 685 Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

I just received an email from them today. They are testing the out-of-streaming feature and making a final tweak to the hardware. Unfortunately, that means that it will now ship in late March.

It's a bit disappointing, and I will have to do another month of DirecTv, but it does look like it is very close.

If they're tweaking HARDWARE it's highly unlikely that it's gonna ship this month . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

normal on a two month old set..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 685 Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

If they're tweaking HARDWARE it's highly unlikely that it's gonna ship this month . . .

+1

Typical optimistic outlook by companies intending to sell alpha/beta products to consumers......
post #33 of 685 Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It must be a firmware/bios type of change, because they just posted pictures on facebook of their assembly line, and they have a pallet full of boxed Tablos. So late March still sounds reasonable.
post #34 of 685 Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46

That's what I was wondering;

How do they tweak the hardware After the machines are in their boxes?

https://twitter.com/TabloTV/status/443488977610223616/photo/1

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #35 of 685 Old 03-11-2014, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was wondering about the hardware comment too, but testing the "out-of-streaming feature" seems like they can send that out as a firmware update a week after it ships. And if it's really a hardware adjustment on the 500 boxed units, which all need to go through testing again, it's not shipping in 2 weeks.... mad.gif

post #36 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34

Hey Questions - The hardware tweak has already been done to all of the boxed up units. As soon as the software is ready, they'll be heading out the door!

kwg and Questions123 like this.
post #37 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Glad to see a TabloTv rep here. smile.gif
post #38 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Glad to see a TabloTv rep here. smile.gif

Don't want to disturb your chat, just thought I'd pop in to say hi and that I'm here to answer any questions you have. Plus, I'm a giant forum nerd so it gives me the excuse to hang out. :D

snowcat and laridae like this.
post #39 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to see you here.

Can you provide any details on the 4 tuner model, which I think many people here are interested in?
post #40 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46

Since you're here ....   ;-))

I'm waiting for Chromecast support. I already have the CC dongle, and since you don't have HDMI support I don't want to buy any other boxes first. Do you have a release date for CC support version?

I'm very interested in this box since I like the concept and there's not much else out there.

Plus, I'm rootin' for you 'cause you're local!!

TabloTV likes this.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #41 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Good to see you here.

Can you provide any details on the 4 tuner model, which I think many people here are interested in?

The first 4-Tuner model boards are just coming off the assembly line. We'll start testing in the coming weeks and have a first production run planned for April. 

When we get closer to the delivery date, we'll do a full blog post all about it. 

post #42 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

Since you're here ....   ;-))

I'm waiting for Chromecast support. I already have the CC dongle, and since you don't have HDMI support I don't want to buy any other boxes first. Do you have a release date for CC support version?

I'm very interested in this box since I like the concept and there's not much else out there.

Plus, I'm rootin' for you 'cause you're local!!

Chromecast support is going really well. Our dev team was impressed with the SDK. 

I'm actually working on a blog post all about the Android app right now which includes an update about Chromecast so I'll stop by and post it when it's ready to roll. 

post #43 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Chromecast support is going really well. Our dev team was impressed with the SDK. 

I'm actually working on a blog post all about the Android app right now which includes an update about Chromecast so I'll stop by and post it when it's ready to roll. 

Since you're here... [for Android users] Roku will be the only way to control the Tablo with a remote control, correct? Due to the nature of Chromecast, that's not an option?

post #44 of 685 Old 03-12-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Please add an option to record & stream the original MPEG2 transport stream untouched for local playback with 0 degradation due to transcoding.

Thank you
post #45 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

Since you're here... [for Android users] Roku will be the only way to control the Tablo with a remote control, correct? Due to the nature of Chromecast, that's not an option?

There is apparently a way to use your phone or tablet as a remote w/ Chromecast which we're working on, but yes Roku will be the only way to use a traditional remote control. 

post #46 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:

There is apparently a way to use your phone or tablet as a remote w/ Chromecast which we're working on, but yes Roku will be the only way to use a traditional remote control. 

I'm sold, I think I'm going to preorder...

Is dolby digital surround sound passthrough still on the short term roadmap?
What happens if I preorder, receive the unit and... it doesn't perform as expected. Is the preorder covered by the same 30-day return policy?

post #47 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

I'm sold, I think I'm going to preorder...

Is dolby digital surround sound passthrough still on the short term roadmap?
What happens if I preorder, receive the unit and... it doesn't perform as expected. Is the preorder covered by the same 30-day return policy?

We're working with one of our chip suppliers to get them to support AC3 passthrough which would let us do surround sound, so yes it's on the roadmap but it's dependent on them providing firmware. We really want to do it so hopefully we'll be able to convince them :)

We obviously hope you'll love your Tablo but even pre-ordered units come with the 30 day return policy. I think you'll be pleased though.

post #48 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Please add an option to record & stream the original MPEG2 transport stream untouched for local playback with 0 degradation due to transcoding.

Thank you

Sorry qz3fwd - We can't do this since the iPad, Apple TV, Roku  and other clients can't decode MPEG2. Apparently the HD Homerun from Silicon Dust does this though. 

post #49 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry qz3fwd - We can't do this since the iPad, Apple TV, Roku  and other clients can't decode MPEG2. Apparently the HD Homerun from Silicon Dust does this though. 

Are you telling me the protocol you use between devices does not have the functionality to negotiate format capabilities between devices?

It should be an easy thing to implement since all you are doing is saving the file stream coming in over the air waves. Obviously the tablo would only stream this version to MPEG2 capable devices - thinks PC's/Mac's/Tablets with enough processing power.

If the simpletv (aka HDHomeRun) offers this as well as downloads, then these features may just sway me to your competitors.
post #50 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Are you telling me the protocol you use between devices does not have the functionality to negotiate format capabilities between devices?

It should be an easy thing to implement since all you are doing is saving the file stream coming in over the air waves. Obviously the tablo would only stream this version to MPEG2 capable devices - thinks PC's/Mac's/Tablets with enough processing power.

If the simpletv (aka HDHomeRun) offers this as well as downloads, then these features may just sway me to your competitors.

Right now Tablo is optimized for access on mobile devices and media adapters like Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku. All of these devices require H.264 which is why we transcode and store all video into H.264 format.   

If you really need MPEG2 streaming maybe another solution is your best option.

post #51 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed that the Tablo iPad app was released a while ago (and even updated), but I haven't seen the Android tablet app out yet. Will it be on the Google Play store when the product is released, or does it have to be installed a different way?

I have about everything now (Roku, Chromecast, Android tablet, iPad, Windows laptop, Windows desktop, Windows phone, and iPhone) at my house, and I really can't wait to try this out on all of these devices. Let me see if I have all of this right about playback:
Roku - Tablo Roku app
iPad - Tablo iPad app
Android Tablet - Tablo Android app
Chromecast - via PC/iPad/Android
Windows laptop, desktop, phone - via browser (and is it compatible with all browsers?)

If I want to access my Tablo from outside my home, will it just be accessed by a web interface on all devices (that have a browser)?

Thanks again, and I can't wait.
post #52 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I noticed that the Tablo iPad app was released a while ago (and even updated), but I haven't seen the Android tablet app out yet. Will it be on the Google Play store when the product is released, or does it have to be installed a different way?

I have about everything now (Roku, Chromecast, Android tablet, iPad, Windows laptop, Windows desktop, Windows phone, and iPhone) at my house, and I really can't wait to try this out on all of these devices. Let me see if I have all of this right about playback:
Roku - Tablo Roku app
iPad - Tablo iPad app
Android Tablet - Tablo Android app
Chromecast - via PC/iPad/Android
Windows laptop, desktop, phone - via browser (and is it compatible with all browsers?)

If I want to access my Tablo from outside my home, will it just be accessed by a web interface on all devices (that have a browser)?

Thanks again, and I can't wait.

The Android app is currently in beta testing. The plan is to have it ready and available in the Play store for launch.

As for playback options you've got it all pretty much correct! The web-based app is currently optimized for Chrome and Safari (mobile). 

Something you may not have considered is if you have a media PC hooked up to your big screen TV at home (like I do) you can use the web-based app without having to worry about Chromecast, Roku or Apple TV. You can just bring up the web page and watch from there like you would Netflix. 

snowcat likes this.
post #53 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

We're working with one of our chip suppliers to get them to support AC3 passthrough which would let us do surround sound, so yes it's on the roadmap but it's dependent on them providing firmware. We really want to do it so hopefully we'll be able to convince them smile.gif

wait. you have to convince a supplier to hopefully provide surround sound? you had no idea going in that said chip might not be able to do it? oof.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #54 of 685 Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Aero - We haven't had an issue with them in the past when we've asked them to provide support for other features. 

post #55 of 685 Old 03-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Since we're past the middle of the month, is there a concrete ship date scheduled?

post #56 of 685 Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 AM

It'll be somewhere between the 27th and the 31st Questions. We'll be sending an update to all our pre-order customers when we're about to call up the FedEx guy.

Questions123 likes this.
post #57 of 685 Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It'll be somewhere between the 27th and the 31st Questions. We'll be sending an update to all our pre-order customers when we're about to call up the FedEx guy.

Is there a pdf users manual, setup guide, support documentation avaliable?
One can learn a lot from what is and is not in the documentation.

Thank you
Boyd
post #58 of 685 Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Is there a pdf users manual, setup guide, support documentation avaliable?
One can learn a lot from what is and is not in the documentation.

Thank you
Boyd

Sure - it's up at www.tablotv.com/support 

post #59 of 685 Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Sure - it's up at www.tablotv.com/support 

Thank You.

post #60 of 685 Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting. I noticed that Tablo will no longer provide an antenna, while that was advertised as part of the kit when we all pre-ordered. It's not a big deal to me, as I already have one set up, but other people that pre-ordered might be expecting it. In the FAQ on the main site, you guys have partially updated the section "What do I get when I buy a Tablo" to remove the antenna, but you still have "Please note that the antenna is not optimized for use in all locations and you may need to purchase an additional antenna to capture signals from all channels available in your area." You probably should fix that. wink.gif
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page