60Likes

post #601 of 756 Old 08-15-2014, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post
On sale at Newegg, 4 tuner 15% off $300 list price, 2 tuner with coupon code is I believe $189.
I'm also one who isnt ready to buy yet because I would need a Roku and a new tablet, and I like how my video equipment runs thru my AV receiver and is all controlled by a Harmony remote. I follow these threads so if my PAL dies I will know what my options are, and who knows, maybe one day there will be a Tablo 2 with HDMI.
i appreciate the post, thank you. Since I have a Roku 3 as of a a few days ago (moved the Chromecast to another TV in the house), and a WD My Passport 2 TB drive from the DVR+ experiment, I'd just need the Tablo...

I apologize if I missed it in this fairly long thread, but are the tuners the same in both the 2 and 4 tuner Tablos?

We are in a tough reception location, and when I tried the DVR+, it's tuner was noticeably worse than that of the TV's. It was returned because two borderline networks were lost completely when using the DVR+... I'd be inclined to try the 2 tuner Tablo simply because the signal would be split less than the 4 tuner model.

Edit / Add: I just read the WD MyPassport is not recommended by Tablo. Drat.

http://www.tablotv.com/blog/back-awa...at-flash-drive

That said, in the linked thread, it seems that this drive has been "good" for Tablo users...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 08-16-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Tony, here is a picture of the live TV interface of the Roku. You just use the d-pad on the Roku to scroll up and down to see all the channels. Just click on one to launch that show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rolu screenshot.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	214697  
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #603 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 01:48 AM

snowcat, much, much appreciated.

You know, while it doesn't show the grid of what's on next, since it reveals what seems to be about 6 channels on the screen, I'm thinking that I might be able to adjust. From what you understand, would it be possible to have the live grid via the Roku at some point (software update)? Maybe there is some limiting factor that would prevent this...

I just found something comparable to that screen capture you provided in this video:

Has the delay improved since that video?

You had mentioned that you didn't lose any channels with the Tablo tuner/s. Might I ask, do you have the 2 or 4 tuner model, and the make of the TV? I've read that Samsung tuners, which is what I have in this room, are quite good. That was certainly the case when compared to the DVR+, as I lost two key networks...

Thanks much!

Last edited by TonyB1966; 08-16-2014 at 01:58 AM.
post #604 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

What the Tablo folks are doing is hiring one or more Roku developers to really work on that particular interface. The only thing that worries me is that they have been saying this for a month, and I haven't heard of them hiring anyone yet.

There is still going to be a delay when tuning to a channel that hasn't been tuned before. The Tablo folks are still working on that, but it sounds like 4 seconds will be the best it will ever be, if it gets to that. The Roku is more responsive in getting to the interface and between live, recorded, shows, etc.

I have a 2 tuner. My main TV is a Panasonic plasma (PC-T60ST30) and my bedroom set is a JVC EM37T. I do live about 15 miles from all the Nashville stations, so it's not that hard to pick up all the locals (but it does require some positioning of my antenna).
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #605 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 AM

Thank you again snowcat.

When you say a delay when tuning a channel never tuned before, then this type or duration of delay is just a one time occurrence, for each channel received? If so, I don't view that as problematic... Once a live TV channel has been tuned once, even if days or weeks prior, a subsequent tuning to that channel has a delay that is negligible or not nearly as noticeable?

Hopefully most outstanding issues or requests are software-based, allowing a future software update to remedy the situation. I have a lot of reading to do...

Thanks much for sharing that you have a 2 tuner Tablo and your TV models, as well as your station proximity. We, according to TV Fool, are 62 miles from our main stations in San Francisco. We are getting the ones we desire though with a small ClearStream4 antenna, with a couple not as dependable as we'd prefer. Thus, the questions about the tuner bering paramount. As stated, the DVR+'s tuner had us lose those two channels for the most part. Maybe any tuner in this situation, splitting the signal, would experience such loss.

What does Tablo offer the user visibility-wise with respect to reception strength and quality? The Samsung TV in question here provides dB's in the form of signal to noise ratio (SNR).

Thank you snowcat.

Last edited by TonyB1966; 08-16-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #606 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
We are getting the ones we desire though with a small ClearStream4 antenna, with a couple not as dependable as we'd prefer. Thus, the questions about the tuner bering paramount.
Best bet is to work on signal strength via antenna location or replacement. Much more to gain or lose than varying tuners. My attic antenna had one channel that would be iffy once a month or less... ended up raising the antenna a foot or so and haven't had the issue for years.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #607 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Best bet is to work on signal strength via antenna location or replacement. Much more to gain or lose than varying tuners. My attic antenna had one channel that would be iffy once a month or less... ended up raising the antenna a foot or so and haven't had the issue for years.
Thank you Charles. I dedicated a fair amount of time to such prior to finally deciding that I can make this work in our tough reception area. I even recently had some limbs removed that seems to have helped a little. I experimented with a few antennas and preamps, right now even (Kitz vs RCA dual input)... While I'm sure a larger antenna, with more metal in the air, would do the trick, we are in somewhat of a community here, so I'm only using small form factor antennas (CS4 and RCA ANT751).

The initial goal was to get at least 3 of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & PBS). I get them all, including 2 ABC's and PBS's. The CBS and FOX networks are the two that are on the borderline though, and what I'd rather not lose with the introduction of a DVR. Honestly, with the likes of a Roku, I really don't think we'll record much, if anything. I realize that might change of course, but as a sports fanatic (college primarily), the ability to pause, rewind, etc is highly valued. I guess there's no slow motion?

Back to the reception / tuner topic, if interested, to get a feel for our rather tough reception location, here you go:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f44cdac3547
post #608 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I forgot to post the promo code for the 2 tuner model, it is EMCPBWE58 and expires 8/21/14

My best friend is my PAL
post #609 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post
I forgot to post the promo code for the 2 tuner model, it is EMCPBWE58 and expires 8/21/14
What does the promo code do exactly? Prior to the promo code entry, it seems to be 199.99 already, free shipping, possibly tax...
post #610 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you again snowcat.

When you say a delay when tuning a channel never tuned before, then this type or duration of delay is just a one time occurrence, for each channel received? If so, I don't view that as problematic... Once a live TV channel has been tuned once, even if days or weeks prior, a subsequent tuning to that channel has a delay that is negligible or not nearly as noticeable?

What does Tablo offer the user visibility-wise with respect to reception strength and quality? The Samsung TV in question here provides dB's in the form of signal to noise ratio (SNR).

Thank you snowcat.

Glad to help.

Channel switching is one of the sore spots of the Tablo compared to using a traditional DVR. You are going to get a 10-15 second delay tuning into a new channel every time you use it. The only time it goes down to 1 second is when you switch to a channel that is currently tuned. So with a 2 tuner, you could only go back and forth between two channels quickly, while with a 4 tuner, you could get 4 tuned and switch quickly among then.

I am not really sure how long the Tablo will remain tuned to a channel that isn't actively being watched or recorded. It's at least 30 minutes, but I am don't know for how long (no more than half a day at best).

Because of this, I rarely channel surf using the Tablo. I pretty much know what I want to watch and tune it to that channel. I use it a lot more to watch shows that I have already recorded.

As for signal strength, it is just 5 colored dots. If you have good strength, all 5 are green. The other two values are 3 green dots and 1 green dot. I don't have a quantitative value for those settings. Also, the dots only represent what the signal strength was at the time of a channel scan. So if you move your antenna around, you should redo the channel scan. (one of the requested updates is a dynamic signal strength meter with more specific values).
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #611 of 756 Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
Glad to help.

Channel switching is one of the sore spots of the Tablo compared to using a traditional DVR. You are going to get a 10-15 second delay tuning into a new channel every time you use it. The only time it goes down to 1 second is when you switch to a channel that is currently tuned. So with a 2 tuner, you could only go back and forth between two channels quickly, while with a 4 tuner, you could get 4 tuned and switch quickly among then.

I am not really sure how long the Tablo will remain tuned to a channel that isn't actively being watched or recorded. It's at least 30 minutes, but I am don't know for how long (no more than half a day at best).

Because of this, I rarely channel surf using the Tablo. I pretty much know what I want to watch and tune it to that channel. I use it a lot more to watch shows that I have already recorded.

As for signal strength, it is just 5 colored dots. If you have good strength, all 5 are green. The other two values are 3 green dots and 1 green dot. I don't have a quantitative value for those settings. Also, the dots only represent what the signal strength was at the time of a channel scan. So if you move your antenna around, you should redo the channel scan. (one of the requested updates is a dynamic signal strength meter with more specific values).
This is all very helpful information snowcat. I feel that I can make a well-informed decision, thanks to you and this forum. I'm big on proper or realistic expectation setting...

I suppose you know what you want to watch by navigating through a browser first, or other means not through the Roku. Since it doesn't take that long when changing Roku channels, it is seemingly possible that Tablo's live TV channels can do the same. Or is this just an inherent limitation, hardware possibly?

I found this guy Justin on Youtube, who has shared a fair amount regarding the Tablo / Roku experience. I'm watching this 2nd one now:

Thanks for the info on Tablo's signal strength. They are in the infancy stages of development, and there is clear upside in several areas. It would be nice to know what issues and requests can be addressed via software updates, and which would require new hardware to overcome or address...
post #612 of 756 Old 08-17-2014, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

From the forums, it sounds like every request can be done through software and firmware updates. The Tablo folks just have to work hard so that their Roku development, iOS development, Android development, and web development are all on the same track, and that nothing on one platform breaks another.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #613 of 756 Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
What does the promo code do exactly? Prior to the promo code entry, it seems to be 199.99 already, free shipping, possibly tax...
Sorry Tony I guess I assumed everyone was familiar with Newegg promo codes. They are for email subscribers but I think you can use it if you sign up for their sale emails, you can try to apply it in the basket before completing the purchase. That code takes $10 off the $199 price. I have never been taxed at Newegg but I guess that all depends on where you live. This is a link to the sale page:
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...x-landing.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tablo.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	215929  
TonyB1966 likes this.

My best friend is my PAL
post #614 of 756 Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 AM

jamez68, thanks much for the explanation. Yup, I'm new to Newegg, so that helped. I have a couple more days to decide if I want to give Tablo a try. Seriously thinking about it...

snowcat, I appreciate the continued follow-up. It sounds encouraging...

I asked this in the Roku thread last night, but figured I'd ask here too. Is it possible to connect a USB external HD to the Roku 3 and have it serve as a network drive, as one would with the USB drive connected to a wireless router?
post #615 of 756 Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966

I asked this in the Roku thread last night, but figured I'd ask here too. Is it possible to connect a USB external HD to the Roku 3 and have it serve as a network drive, as one would with the USB drive connected to a wireless router?
No.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #616 of 756 Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Thanks Aero 1.

Fortunately, I was able to get one of my external HD to register on our Netgear R6300, so mission accomplished (network drive available).
post #617 of 756 Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Is the ability to transfer/save recordings to your computer now available? If not, what's taking so long Tablo?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #618 of 756 Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Is the ability to transfer/save recordings to your computer now available? If not, what's taking so long Tablo?
Tablo users have been able to do it using various methods, but there is no official way to do it yet.

It's probably taking so long because there are a lot more important things for them to work on.
1. Android app and Chromecast bug fixes and functionality. There are stability issues, as well as the need to rewind and FF live tv on Android (only pause and play work now for live tv)

2. Smart record and delete. Smart record at a minimum is needed to prevent recording the same episode multiple times. It will hopefully include being able to record only X number of shows and auto-deleting of old shows if space is needed to record new ones. Smart delete is needed so that you can group delete as opposed to deleting every episode one at a time.

3. Major development of the Roku app. It is functional as is, but the goal is to make it work a lot more like the web/tablet apps.

Until those three things are complete, I really don't see a lot of other functionality being added.
post #619 of 756 Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
We really need to get on that 'As usual, Snowcat is right' t-shirt.

FYI - on the Roku candidate, we've interviewed a lot of folks but haven't found the right match yet. We know how important Roku is to our users so we want to make sure that we pick someone who will baby that platform for us.

And, yes - we've got a big list of stuff to get done and we are focusing on UI and stability before 'getting fancy' with added functionality. Download is still on the to-do list though and is one of our highest priorities for new features.
snowcat likes this.
post #620 of 756 Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
i appreciate the post, thank you. Since I have a Roku 3 as of a a few days ago (moved the Chromecast to another TV in the house), and a WD My Passport 2 TB drive from the DVR+ experiment, I'd just need the Tablo...

I apologize if I missed it in this fairly long thread, but are the tuners the same in both the 2 and 4 tuner Tablos?

We are in a tough reception location, and when I tried the DVR+, it's tuner was noticeably worse than that of the TV's. It was returned because two borderline networks were lost completely when using the DVR+... I'd be inclined to try the 2 tuner Tablo simply because the signal would be split less than the 4 tuner model.

Edit / Add: I just read the WD MyPassport is not recommended by Tablo. Drat.

http://www.tablotv.com/blog/back-awa...at-flash-drive

That said, in the linked thread, it seems that this drive has been "good" for Tablo users...

I would like someone from tablo to address this. Tony is assuming the amount of signal received by the tablo is split between the 2 or 4 tuners depending on what model you choose (kind of like a passive splitter). I don't think it works like this, but would like some clarification. I thought that all tuners would receive signal equal to the amount entering the tablo. Don't know if I made sense on that. Thanks

Last edited by brg606; 08-18-2014 at 09:09 AM.
post #621 of 756 Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM

For 190 bucks, I took the plunge. The 15% restocking fee at Newegg almost had me not do so, but with free Premiere membership for 30 days, and no restocking fees associated, figured it was time... Also, there's a 10% off the order too, if using Visa.
post #622 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
Tablo users have been able to do it using various methods, but there is no official way to do it yet.

It's probably taking so long because there are a lot more important things for them to work on.
1. Android app and Chromecast bug fixes and functionality. There are stability issues, as well as the need to rewind and FF live tv on Android (only pause and play work now for live tv)

2. Smart record and delete. Smart record at a minimum is needed to prevent recording the same episode multiple times. It will hopefully include being able to record only X number of shows and auto-deleting of old shows if space is needed to record new ones. Smart delete is needed so that you can group delete as opposed to deleting every episode one at a time.

3. Major development of the Roku app. It is functional as is, but the goal is to make it work a lot more like the web/tablet apps.

Until those three things are complete, I really don't see a lot of other functionality being added.
you're starting to sound too much like a cheerleader now. you are entitled to like the product, i dont have and i like the concept also, but you are now blindly becoming their spokesman. The fact is that this is a VERY expensive product that should have not been released. These kickstarter things are starting to get out of hand. release crap first, see what sticks and gets bought, then we might put out things down the line.

this is all conjecture, but its scary evidence. couple of pages back, tablo says that they have to check with their chip manufacturer to see if 5.1 audio is doable. After i questioned it, they backtracked and say they can but its not a priority. Second, its pointed out to them that they pretty much broke the law by not including closed captioning on a device that requires it, part time lawyers disagreed with me even though proof was provided that they are required to, month later they release closed captioning.

This very expensive product has no roadmap and again, i have no idea, but i have a feeling that this first gen product is not cable of doing what it needs to do. Thats why i think tablo and simple give guide data subs to the account, not the unit like tivo. They know that they would fold if they went the tivo model knowing that unlike tivo, their hardware and software is not in sync. it baffles me how people can spend the time "lecturing" table for not including and doing things just like tivo but refuse to get a tivo for a bit more money because of this false sense of morality.

i almost pulled the trigger on a tablo but at the same time, tivo teased a big announcement in the next week or two and we know that tivo is planning on releasing a possible fire tv app (there is video with a working app), possibly an xbox one, sub less minis and who knows what else.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #623 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
The fact is that this is a VERY expensive product that should have not been released.
This is FUD. With a return period why not let the owner's decide if they would like to keep using it or not... if you are purchasing something based on future possibilities well you should have learned a long time ago you don't.

Last edited by Charles R; 08-19-2014 at 08:00 AM.
post #624 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post
I would like someone from tablo to address this. Tony is assuming the amount of signal received by the tablo is split between the 2 or 4 tuners depending on what model you choose (kind of like a passive splitter). I don't think it works like this, but would like some clarification. I thought that all tuners would receive signal equal to the amount entering the tablo. Don't know if I made sense on that. Thanks
There is a splitter on the 2-Tuner and the 4-Tuner. However, they're actually being split (and amplified) in the same way on each version.

We did this so that there won't be a noticeable difference when/if switching between the two. Both Tablo units have a 4-way output - the 2-Tuner only uses two of them, and the 4-Tuner uses all of them. You'll see the same results with either model.
post #625 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
This is FUD. With a return period why not let the owner's decide if they would like to keep using it or not... if you are purchasing something based on future possibilities well you should have learned a long time ago you don't.
its not FUD. I exactly said that these kickstarter products are getting out of hand. no clear business plan or path. Promise anything you want on these sites and if you made a convincing marketing pitch, people will give you for the amount of money you asked for. Throw a celebration party and start working at your own pace and release something with limited functionality while promising on the kickstarter page or forums features in the future that will "eventually" come out . Sell the product on the basis that the product will get better but with no concrete time frame. People will buy it with the expectations of said features are being worked on but time passes by, return period has lapped, still no communication on release dates, then what happens? 5.1 audio is not a priority, but it will happen. people get angry that they now cant return the product that they helped fund. 2 years later, 5.1 audio comes out a decree, "see, we told you we would release it!"

According to you, "if you are purchasing something based on future possibilities well you should have learned a long time ago you don't.", then kickstarter would be out of business and tablo would not be funded and this thread would not exist. If tablo actually went out and got real investors, got banks involved and what not, they wouldnt be this lax. Investors would be down their throats so fast that they would be scared to say that it will be released eventually.

Last edited by Aero 1; 08-19-2014 at 08:36 AM.
post #626 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
According to you, "if you are purchasing something based on future possibilities well you should have learned a long time ago you don't.", then kickstarter would be out of business and tablo would not be funded.
More FUD. This thread is about Tablo... forget your preaching. It's more being too cheap to purchase TiVo you look for something less expensive and when you find it and it doesn't suit your needs to a tee it shouldn't be sold and it's very expensive. When it's actually, purchase it and take x days to decide if it's you for... if not simply return it.
post #627 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Am I cheerleader for the Tablo? Sure I am. I really enjoy this device and think it a good solution for many OTA DVR requirements. But I do my best to be honest as well and list the negatives with the positives.

I just want to help potential users understand the product and want to help buyers use their product. I am a little limited by just having a 2-tuner and not the 4-tuner, but I have never had a programming conflict with just 2 tuners.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #628 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM

snowcat, while you are a cheerleader, which I totally understand and appreciate, you have also been objective as well, I feel. Tablo has a cool product and there's certainly reason for excitement...

Of note, when TiVo first offered Lifetime service, it too was not designated as being tied to the box. Look where TiVo is today... I still have TiVo Lifetime, grandfathered from 2000, now through DirecTV at our other home...
post #629 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
If tablo actually went out and got real investors, got banks involved and what not, they wouldnt be this lax. Investors would be down their throats so fast that they would be scared to say that it will be released eventually.
FYI, we do have 'real' investors.

Pledges raised during the Indiegogo project will be used to fund initial production runs of the hardware so that the $4 million in venture backing Nuvyyo received earlier this year from Celtic House Venture Partners – a leading investor in technology and innovation – can be earmarked for sales and marketing support of the general product launch in the U.S. and Canadian markets.

http://www.tablotv.com/press/nuvyyo-...-by-tablet-app
post #630 of 756 Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
it baffles me how people can spend the time "lecturing" table for not including and doing things just like tivo but refuse to get a tivo for a bit more money because of this false sense of morality.
You're starting to sound too much like a cheerleader now.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page