Official Tablo thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #631 of 674 Old 08-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would have to agree with Aero 1 that a Tablo can be very expensive.

4 tuner model = $300
500GB HDD = $ 50
ROKU 3 = $100
basic 4.1 tablet = $ 50
lifetime guide = $150
TOTAL $650

Tivo Roamio = $200
lifetime guide = $500
TOTAL $700

Yes I know the Tablo and Roamio is not a true apples to apples comparison due to different features (remote streaming, HDMI outputs, 5.1 stereo, meaning of "lifetime", etc) but for someone like myself who may need to replace a PAL one day all the incidentals add up. I would have to buy everything except a HDD to use a Tablo, so my cost would be $600, or $450 if I wanted to use it old school VCR style.

My best friend is my PAL

Last edited by jamez68; 08-19-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: formatting issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 674 Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68 View Post

4 tuner model = $300
500GB HDD = $ 50
ROKU 3 = $100
basic 4.1 tablet = $ 50
lifetime guide = $150
TOTAL $650

Tivo Roamio = $200
lifetime guide = $500
TOTAL $700

Yes I know the Tablo and Roamio is not a true apples to apples comparison due to different features (remote streaming, HDMI outputs, 5.1 stereo, meaning of "lifetime", etc) but for someone like myself who may need to replace a PAL one day all the incidentals add up. I would have to buy everything except a HDD to use a Tablo, so my cost would be $600, or $450 if I wanted to use it old school VCR style.
I plan do some continued DVR "testing" the next 30 days, mostly of that of their tuners, given our challenging location. The Tablo arrives tomorrow... I had the DVR+ about 6 weeks ago. I'm on the brink of ordering a base TiVo Roamio, with discount code (MMA) is 150 bucks now. Also, lifetime now is 400 dollars. I called twice today and was offered that deal. There's a code on the internet too...

So, TiVo Roamio, with Lifetime (on the unit, unlike the Tablo), can be had for $550 (150 + 400). While TiVo Lifetime is tied to the box, more accurately it is tied to the motherboard. If the HD or other components fail, have issues and are fixable, Lifetime continues...

As I understand it, TiVo seems to allow Lifetime transfers to new boxes, for less than a whole new Lifetime subscription. Trying to find-out now...

Either way, I really like what Tablo is doing and if the experimentation goes well (reception-wise and overall experience), I'll be inclined to keep it, possibly in the bedroom, and if TiVo works-out (reception-wise), at the main TV.

EDIT / ADD: Just scored a TiVo Roamio for less than $85 delivered, from Amazon. 170 new, $30 Discover Cashback upon checkout, and a $70 gift card for signing-up for an Amazon Rewards Visa credit card. Swallowing the 400 Lifetime just got a little easier...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 08-20-2014 at 12:25 AM.
post #633 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
I plan do some continued DVR "testing" the next 30 days, mostly of that of their tuners, given our challenging location. The Tablo arrives tomorrow... I had the DVR+ about 6 weeks ago. I'm on the brink of ordering a base TiVo Roamio, with discount code (MMA) is 150 bucks now. Also, lifetime now is 400 dollars. I called twice today and was offered that deal. There's a code on the internet too...

So, TiVo Roamio, with Lifetime (on the unit, unlike the Tablo), can be had for $550 (150 + 400). While TiVo Lifetime is tied to the box, more accurately it is tied to the motherboard. If the HD or other components fail, have issues and are fixable, Lifetime continues...

As I understand it, TiVo seems to allow Lifetime transfers to new boxes, for less than a whole new Lifetime subscription. Trying to find-out now...

Either way, I really like what Tablo is doing and if the experimentation goes well (reception-wise and overall experience), I'll be inclined to keep it, possibly in the bedroom, and if TiVo works-out (reception-wise), at the main TV.

EDIT / ADD: Just scored a TiVo Roamio for less than $85 delivered, from Amazon. 170 new, $30 Discover Cashback upon checkout, and a $70 gift card for signing-up for an Amazon Rewards Visa credit card. Swallowing the 400 Lifetime just got a little easier...

So how did you score the $30 Discover cashback? I dont see the offer at Shop Discover and if my math is correct that would be about 17&1/2% cashback bonus.

Yikes! I only get $10 if I sign up for their card!!!

My best friend is my PAL

Last edited by jamez68; 08-20-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: double quoting,additions
post #634 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
So how did you score the $30 Discover cashback? I dont see the offer at Shop Discover and if my math is correct that would be about 17&1/2% cashback bonus.

Yikes! I only get $10 if I sign up for their card!!!
If you have a Discover Card and use it, you should have CashBack. Amazon ties to it, and I had like 30 bucks to apply, so I did. The Visa deal was 70 dollars, at least for me. It actually seems to be a pretty good card...

Here's how it came-out:

Item Subtotal: $169.99
Shipping & Handling: $9.49
Promotion Applied: -$9.49
Total Before Tax: $169.99
Estimated Tax: $14.87
Reward Points: -$29.93
Gift Certificate/Card: -$70.00
Order Total: $84.93
++++++

Looks like I'm getting the Roamio on Monday. The Tablo just arrived! Sitting here next to me...
post #635 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tony, I would be interested in how the Tablo tuners compare to the Tivo. The tuners on the Tivo Premiere left a lot to be desired. If you find out anymore about transferring a lifetime membership, please post.

Snowcat, thanks for all the posts explaining the pro and cons of this device.
snowcat likes this.
post #636 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
If you have a Discover Card and use it, you should have CashBack. Amazon ties to it, and I had like 30 bucks to apply, so I did. The Visa deal was 70 dollars, at least for me. It actually seems to be a pretty good card...

Here's how it came-out:

Item Subtotal: $169.99
Shipping & Handling: $9.49
Promotion Applied: -$9.49
Total Before Tax: $169.99
Estimated Tax: $14.87
Reward Points: -$29.93
Gift Certificate/Card: -$70.00
Order Total: $84.93
++++++

Looks like I'm getting the Roamio on Monday. The Tablo just arrived! Sitting here next to me...
OK I thought the $30 was a Discover bonus but its actually money you have earned and could have used it for anything but spent it on the Tivo. Thanks for the update and I would also like to know how the Tablo and Tivo tuners compare.

My best friend is my PAL
post #637 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 04:20 PM

The cool factor with Tablo is there alright. Wow. I've been watching FOX through Tablo for 5+ minutes already. This is one of the tough ones for us... The DVR+ was challenged to have it for a minute, and that was the best over nearly 2 weeks. Typically, it was non-existent (black screen).

So, although preliminary, the Tablo's tuner looks like a winner! That is huge for me. Even if TiVo kicks butt in other ways, if its tuner is not up to the task, game over, for me at least...

Ok, getting some break-up on the reception, and a re-load, black screen, but it was very brief.

I'll report back on how it's doing, periodically using the TV's tuner for comparo purposes. Thus far, 10 minutes, and I like missed maybe 2 seconds. I provided my TV Fool report earlier. Pretty rough place with nothing in green, and some stations on outskirts of yellow and beyond.

The picture is nice. Kudos to Tablo!

I have no commentary as of yet for actual use of the Tablo. The new 2 TB hard drive is still in the box (shipped with the Tablo). Honestly, if Tablo would have fallen on its face and got zilch on these channels, the USB drive would remain sealed in the box and returned along with the Tablo. Looks like I need to break it out soon...
snowcat likes this.
post #638 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

4 tuner model = $300
500GB HDD = $ 50
ROKU 3 = $100
basic 4.1 tablet = $ 50
lifetime guide = $150
TOTAL $650

Tivo Roamio = $200
lifetime guide = $500
TOTAL $700

They are reasonably equivalent enough not unlike comparing iPhones to Android phones of (near) equivalent features and or price.

However I feel I should point that your Tivo price tally does not include the $130 cost of the Tivo stream that would put them closer together.
post #639 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 PM

I want to change the channel so bad, but I also want to see when Tablo's reception will blink on this station (FOX). Over an hour, and rock solid! I'm starting to think that the Tablo tuner is better than that of the TV's. If so, that would be a very pleasant surprise...

So while I'm choosing to not change channels now, as explained above, I can sense what will be needed with the Roku. It seems that one will need to back out of the selected channel, then scroll to the desired live TV channel. Similarly, I think if one wants to record while watching a channel, this too might require backing-out into the Roku live TV channels.

Decided to exit FOX as I'm already impressed with the tuner... Yup, changing channels with the Roku interface is from Live TV. How does one record from Live TV or ideally while watching the program in question? I can see how to record from Guide TVShows, Movies though... I like that the data provided about the program or movie. Would be nice if it also included the channel too...

Changing channels is taking about 15 seconds.
post #640 of 674 Old 08-20-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post
They are reasonably equivalent enough not unlike comparing iPhones to Android phones of (near) equivalent features and or price.

However I feel I should point that your Tivo price tally does not include the $130 cost of the Tivo stream that would put them closer together.
As I'm familiarizing myself with the features of these two units, TiVo Stream is needed (base model) to even stream locally on the home network? Playing with the Tablo now and I do like this capability on the LAN for sure, and I can imagine times using it away from home too...

if the Roamio can tune well also, I'm contemplating keeping both...
post #641 of 674 Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I want to change the channel so bad, but I also want to see when Tablo's reception will blink on this station (FOX). Over an hour, and rock solid! I'm starting to think that the Tablo tuner is better than that of the TV's. If so, that would be a very pleasant surprise...

So while I'm choosing to not change channels now, as explained above, I can sense what will be needed with the Roku. It seems that one will need to back out of the selected channel, then scroll to the desired live TV channel. Similarly, I think if one wants to record while watching a channel, this too might require backing-out into the Roku live TV channels.

Decided to exit FOX as I'm already impressed with the tuner... Yup, changing channels with the Roku interface is from Live TV. How does one record from Live TV or ideally while watching the program in question? I can see how to record from Guide TVShows, Movies though... I like that the data provided about the program or movie. Would be nice if it also included the channel too...

Changing channels is taking about 15 seconds.
Being able to record from live tv on the Roku is a requested feature. It's easy to do from the web and tablet interfaces, but not so easy on the Roku. On the Roku, you have to exit live tv, go to the shows section, find your show, select the episode, and then hit record. It will start recording at the point you hit record (another requested feature is to record everything that has been buffered already). You can then go back to live tv and watch or go to recorded shows and watch it there.
post #642 of 674 Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamez68

4 tuner model = $300
500GB HDD = $ 50
ROKU 3 = $100
basic 4.1 tablet = $ 50
lifetime guide = $150
TOTAL $650

Tivo Roamio = $200
lifetime guide = $500
TOTAL $700

Quote:

That is a valid point. I was doing the numbers based on looking at the cost of replacing my PAL. The Tablo is a streaming box with the ability to record while Tivo is a recorder with the ability to stream. To me streaming is of no importance, I just want to be able to record shows and play them back easily thru my home theatre setup.

My best friend is my PAL
post #643 of 674 Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Thank you snowcat. The Tablo, from inception, at least as I understand it, was designed around the tablet, probably a factor in the name of the company. Also, when I hear the word "tablo", I automatically think of "tabula rasa", Latin for blank or clean slate. I digress...

The Roku integration and interface via the Roku remote is a divergence of sorts from the tablet-centric approach. I and many others welcome that though as it does allow for more control via traditional means. Making use of or leveraging the existing Roku is a smart, fast way for that type of integration. That said, going that route typically presents limitations and dependencies. With what little experience I have with Roku, I don't feel confident that TV channel changes can happen while watching live TV with a channel up or down selection, nor going direct to the desired channel by inputting digits (there are numbered buttons on the Roku remote). It seems that until Roku makes some changes in that respect, that will be the reality of live TV viewing navigation when going through the Roku. Or, if Tablo decides to venture down this path on its own, bypass the the need to use a Roku for remote control / TV engagement, then that would be another way of course...

I'm still of the belief that another Tablo model or future offering might be prudent. Include a simple remote with the essential buttons, all of the tablet views on the big screen, controllable with the remote, and the game has changed. Heck, add an optional HDMI port, and this model lures in many more folks. Such a box could sell for 100 bucks more ($300), I feel.

None if this whining, just thinking or talking out loud. Thanks to snowcat and others, I knew of this stuff beforehand of course...

The streaming is nice. I've been working in the yard or wrenching under the car, and having the iPad there to follow the game is sweet. I watched the news in the bedroom on the iPad last night while the wife slept next to me. Streaming over the LAN and WAN are real pluses, and I think many might not realize it until they experience such flexibility...
post #644 of 674 Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't understand why it takes tablo 15 seconds to tune a channel when the tivo mini takes about 2 seconds. the mini is drawing info from the main roamio unit through ethernet (same as having a roku3 hardwired to tablo).
post #645 of 674 Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post
I don't understand why it takes tablo 15 seconds to tune a channel when the tivo mini takes about 2 seconds. the mini is drawing info from the main roamio unit through ethernet (same as having a roku3 hardwired to tablo).
Apparently Tablo has decided 15 seconds of buffering is required for their device while Tivo concluded 2-3 seconds is adequate?
post #646 of 674 Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 AM

I'm getting about the same on the iPad too (approx 15 seconds)...
post #647 of 674 Old 08-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Apparently Tablo has decided 15 seconds of buffering is required for their device while Tivo concluded 2-3 seconds is adequate?
This is from TabloTv on their forum:

We're always looking at ways to reduce this time. HLS (our streaming protocol) comes in 4 second segments, so that's the absolute minimum we can whittle it down to if we remain with that standard. We could look at doing something a bit different for live TV to enable more of a channel surfing experience but that's still up for debate. Stay tuned!
post #648 of 674 Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
This is from TabloTv on their forum:

We're always looking at ways to reduce this time. HLS (our streaming protocol) comes in 4 second segments, so that's the absolute minimum we can whittle it down to if we remain with that standard. We could look at doing something a bit different for live TV to enable more of a channel surfing experience but that's still up for debate. Stay tuned!
Well the feedback here is clear-reduce the buffering to the minimum-4 seconds.
Why you would engineer anything else deosnt make sense..
post #649 of 674 Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Well the feedback here is clear-reduce the buffering to the minimum-4 seconds.
Why you would engineer anything else doesn't make sense..
One of the biggest complaints that I have seen from SimpleTv is that the shows would pause while watching and buffer for a while. By going ahead and buffering 12-15 seconds of the show right away, you avoid that issue (unless you have a poor network connection).

The Tablo folks do appear to be considering making LiveTv act differently than recorded TV so that you get your channel much quicker and maybe even have real channel surfing. But that is a pretty major change, so I don't see it being implemented quickly (though it would be a significant improvement).
post #650 of 674 Old 08-22-2014, 12:11 PM

I have found that if I know what I want to watch, the delay is acceptable. I find something productive during those 15 seconds, go get something to drink, tell the 5 year old to stop harassing the 3 year old, check email...

That said, when I wanted to channel surf, for me mostly checking reception on the various channels, it's a pain, from having to back-out, scroll, select, then that pause. Unfortunately, browsing channels on the big screen is something we do quite regularly. Coupled with no TV guide / grid on the TV, the viewing experience is compromised. For those who are fine with a remote and a tablet controlling the TV experience, it is better. That pause remains of course. I tried having the iPad out and as I figured, I didn't like having to work the tablet to control the TV, and also use the remote. The last time I tried, the battery on the iPad went below 10% so I was scrambling to get that charged.

If the Roamio, which is slated to arrive on Tuesday, can tune well enough, especially given the purchase price ($85), it will be chosen. Since the base Roamio does not have streaming, and that would cost $200 extra (TiVo Stream), I'm seriously thinking of keeping the cool Tablo, which I purchased for $190. I can relegate the Tablo to streaming duty, locally (LAN) and beyond (WAN). Since I have faith in Tablo's continued improvement, I like the idea of staying with them to see the evolution...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 08-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #651 of 674 Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have found that if I know what I want to watch, the delay is acceptable. I find something productive during those 15 seconds, go get something to drink, tell the 5 year old to stop harassing the 3 year old, check email...

That said, when I wanted to channel surf, for me mostly checking reception on the various channels, it's a pain, from having to back-out, scroll, select, then that pause. Unfortunately, browsing channels on the big screen is something we do quite regularly. Coupled with no TV guide / grid on the TV, the viewing experience is compromised. For those who are fine with a remote and a tablet controlling the TV experience, it is better. That pause remains of course. I tried having the iPad out and as I figured, I didn't like having to work the tablet to control the TV, and also use the remote. The last time I tried, the battery on the iPad went below 10% so I was scrambling to get that charged.

If the Roamio, which is slated to arrive on Tuesday, can tune well enough, especially given the purchase price ($85), it will be chosen. Since the base Roamio does not have streaming, and that would cost $200 extra (TiVo Stream), I'm seriously thinking of keeping the cool Tablo, which I purchased for $190. I can relegate the Tablo to streaming duty, locally (LAN) and beyond (WAN).
You will be happy with your Tivo. Honestly the Tablo cannot really compete with it for features/convenience/user experience/price-and viewing the Tablo as a DVR it does compete with Tivo and all other DVR's, conventional or un-conventional. I recommend the base Roamio since its tuners are capable of both ATSC OTA (Antenna) as well as QAM (cable) with optional cablecard for encrypted channels.

Quote:
Since I have faith in Tablo's continued improvement, I like the idea of staying with them to see the evolution...
+1 I bought the 4 tuner to encourage upstarts like these guys to introduce new products into the market. It is also a pretty cool product.
post #652 of 674 Old 08-23-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

If the Roamio, which is slated to arrive on Tuesday, can tune well enough, especially given the purchase price ($85), it will be chosen. Since the base Roamio does not have streaming, and that would cost $200 extra (TiVo Stream), I'm seriously thinking of keeping the cool Tablo, which I purchased for $190. I can relegate the Tablo to streaming duty, locally (LAN) and beyond (WAN). Since I have faith in Tablo's continued improvement, I like the idea of staying with them to see the evolution...
FYI, the Stream brand new only costs $129 and I've seen it on sale many times for $99. There is also a large used market for them due to people upgrading to the Roamio Plus/Pro, which has them built in. I know someone selling a used Stream for about $75 IIRC and if you're interested?
post #653 of 674 Old 08-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
FYI, the Stream brand new only costs $129 and I've seen it on sale many times for $99. There is also a large used market for them due to people upgrading to the Roamio Plus/Pro, which has them built in. I know someone selling a used Stream for about $75 IIRC and if you're interested?
Thanks Dave. I see where new it is $129. Since I won't get the base Roamio until later next week, and will need some time after to make sure its tuner is adequate for us, I can't pull the trigger on TiVo Stream just yet. The reviews seem to be rather so so too. This probably is due to the copy-protection limitations that has many disgruntled. I just read that it requires an ethernet connection. Looks like the Roamio does not have an ethernet pass through, so another line would be need to routed. Actually, no can do as I'll already have 4 ethernet cables in use, or maxed-out on the wireless router. I'll need to pass on the TiVo Stream...

Keeping the Tablo for streaming, thus far, seems like a neat plan. No need to wire-up other TVs in the house, think guest bedroom, to get programming on them too... The main TV, where 95% of the viewing occurs, would be TiVo, assuming the tuner checks-out well. Heck, maybe not even get a TiVo subscription. It will integrate beautifully into the system, tune, prompt channel changes and trick TV. With the likes of Roku, I'm the only one who records in the house, and that's about 3 to 5 times a month, sporting events that I cannot watch live. The TiVo Roamio would be an 85 dollar tuner, offering trick TV features, which we use daily. When I want to record, go into the Roku or connected device to have Tablo record. Not saying this will be our "solution", just thinking out loud. That approach means no awesome TiVo guide data, but if the standard EPG data is there, well that might be just fine. I'm guessing that EPG will not be there though...
post #654 of 674 Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I you are out of ports on your router just buy a $20 switch which will give you 8 additional ports (actually 7 since you lose one on the router).
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #655 of 674 Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Thank you phugesh200 for the thoughtful reply.

I have indeed thought of a switch. I've done so in the past, and without going into detail here, I'd rather not. I'll just say that I have a switch currently in action off one port, and I'm contemplating two more, to model what I've done previously, as dictated by proper business practices that I like to follow.

Since I'm posting, I'd like to say that Tablo is working like a champ, most notably the tuner is rock solid. I realize that's not a glamourous selling point for many, but it should be noted, I feel.

Lifetime question... It's per account. If one has more than one Tablo, Lifetime would apply to both, or all? I'm guessing it might be one per account...
post #656 of 674 Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lifetime question... It's per account. If one has more than one Tablo, Lifetime would apply to both, or all? I'm guessing it might be one per account...
For a one-time $150 fee, it will cover every Tablo you ever own, present and future. That's a pretty good deal.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #657 of 674 Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
For a one-time $150 fee, it will cover every Tablo you ever own, present and future. That's a pretty good deal.
Indeed. For those with more than one home or place of residence, with an internet connection, particularly in a better reception area, having another Tablo box can be quite beneficial. Interesting....
post #658 of 674 Old 08-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Maybe a question best for member"TabloTV"...

I've been wanting to ask, can Tablo have a happy, long life in the attic?

Gets hot up there of course, and fairly cool in the winter...

It can get pretty toasty stacked adjacent to A/V equipment too, especially if there is not much space for air to circulate.

Thanks.
post #659 of 674 Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
What you suggested works! Thanks. I also tried taking the TS, dropping it into MKVMerge and outputting a MKV... and I get garbled/pixellated video again. Don't understand why MKV as a container (vs. TS) for the same H.264 and AAC streams should matter. But, hey, at least TS seems to play well.
So can Tablo recordings be imported to VideoReDo? Or is that functionality still in development?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #660 of 674 Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't see why not. I expect Tablo's HLS mp4's and similar to Simple.tv's. Drop into VideoRedo and save as H.264 ts. It should save without re-encoding.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page