42Likes

post #661 of 672 Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
I don't see why not. I expect Tablo's HLS mp4's and similar to Simple.tv's. Drop into VideoRedo and save as H.264 ts. It should save without re-encoding.
Is the Tablo drive directly readable? Just fire up VRD and point it to the Tablo? Or an additional export step?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 672 Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't have a Tablo (as I'm still a Simple.tv user), but I've read it's a few extra steps to pull your recordings. Here you go.

Reason I'm still holding onto Simple.tv is users have built tools that allow you to download shows easily via any STV DVR on your home network.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #663 of 672 Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
I don't have a Tablo (as I'm still a Simple.tv user), but I've read it's a few extra steps to pull your recordings. Here you go.

Reason I'm still holding onto Simple.tv is users have built tools that allow you to download shows easily via any STV DVR on your home network.
Thanks for the link...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #664 of 672 Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Maybe a question best for member"TabloTV"...

I've been wanting to ask, can Tablo have a happy, long life in the attic?

Gets hot up there of course, and fairly cool in the winter...

It can get pretty toasty stacked adjacent to A/V equipment too, especially if there is not much space for air to circulate.

Thanks.
Safe operating temperatures for Tablo are 10-45 degrees Celsius so if your attic maintains that kind of temperature throughout the seasons it should be A-OK.

We have had people place their Tablo units in all kinds of weird places like in the laundry room.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #665 of 672 Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you TabloTV.

I had called you all yesterday actually and heard back, I think from David, giving me the green light to proceed with an attic install. I've often had companies say that they'll call back, but majority have not...

That said, 45c is just 113 degrees F. Attics can get 130, 140 degrees on the hottest days. Most attic fans as I recall kick on at 120 to 130 degrees. Some of the coolest attics on Summer days are 10 to 15 degrees over ambient. So, on days that are 100+ outside, which is not uncommon in CA, the Tablo will be in an environment beyond its specs...

Was hoping for an attic install to minimize the cable run and associated attenuations / losses. One of the many virtues of a Tablo is the flexibility of location.
post #666 of 672 Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Thank you TabloTV.

I had called you all yesterday actually and heard back, I think from David, giving me the green light to proceed with an attic install. I've often had companies say that they'll call back, but majority have not...

That said, 45c is just 113 degrees F. Attics can get 130, 140 degrees on the hottest days. Most attic fans as I recall kick on at 120 to 130 degrees. Some of the coolest attics on Summer days are 10 to 15 degrees over ambient. So, on days that are 100+ outside, which is not uncommon in CA, the Tablo will be in an environment beyond its specs...

Was hoping for an attic install to minimize the cable run and associated attenuations / losses. One of the many virtues of a Tablo is the flexibility of location.
High prolonged temperatures are mortal weapons for electronics like the Tablo. If you want a long lasting device, place it elsewhere where it is cooler. The thing is passively cooled and already runs warm from the get go. OTOH-you could just replace the unit every 12 months-but then your paired recordings might be unplayable?
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #667 of 672 Old 08-27-2014, 04:54 PM

Yes, I'm not putting the Tablo in the attic now. I would only do so if it were in the proximity of an exhaust fan, which I don't have on this new home as of yet... Fortunately, it's only another 12 feet down to the entertainment center. I was just trying to shorten the route as much as possible as reception here is a challenge.

How different is user experience for Tablo on the home network versus a remote one? Thinking of putting the Tablo in our other home and experiment with the reception there...
post #668 of 672 Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I would be pretty nervous doing that. First, there is no way to remotely force a reboot. Second, I think you have to re-pair your devices if you update your firmware. With firmware updates about once a month, that could be problematic if you aren't close to your other home.

At some point, the software is supposed to auto-sense your remote connection and scale the resolution appropriately. Right now, you have to set the bandwidth used, or set it to max. At max, your Tablo client acts just like it is on your Tablo's home network and doesn't use up an extra tuner. All the other settings use up one extra tuner. But if you do max, then you are really limited to 720p and need at least 5 Mpbs upload speeds on your Tablo home network.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #669 of 672 Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM

snowcat, thank you for taking the time to reply. You bring-up valid points for which I was not aware. A great reason to continue to ask questions around here!

Hmmm.... Given that local pairing is needed periodically, I agree that leaving the Tablo in our now mostly vacant home is not a good idea. We are about 30 minutes away, so not bad I suppose. I have some other rather novel ideas that I'll experiment with instead...

I know there is much on Tablo's plate, but auto-sensing the remote connection would be nice. We sometimes times travel to Asia for 4 week vacations, if not longer.

Good information on the bandwidth "requirements". Our other home has internet, but I just scaled it back to a lower service to lessen the billing, but still have service for when we visit and still be able to monitor the surveillance cameras remotely. If upload is less than 5Mbs and proves to be problematic, what is experienced to indicate this is the issue?

The primary remote use would be for occasional recording of sporting events, and later viewing remotely. I wonder if selecting play, then pause, to let it buffer for a while would suffice in preventing the appearance of upload limitations...

Last edited by TonyB1966; 08-28-2014 at 08:50 AM.
post #670 of 672 Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

I tried to play around with it when I went to Europe this summer. The cool thing is that as long as you have an internet connection, you can connect. The bad thing is that most hotels have terrible bandwidth.

I tried to watch the World Cup finals on it. While I have 5 Mbps uploads on my home network, the download speed at the hotel must have been pretty bad. I tried initially a 2 Mbps speeds. It will play fine for a minute or two, and then it will buffer for a while. Then it will play for another minute or so and buffer.

I switched to 1 Mpbs (luckily you can change all of this using a web browser or tablet app). Same thing. I finally resorted to 500 Kbps, and it worked (though the picture was really bad on the iPad). So you will have long periods of no activity if the upload isn't good enough or the download is too weak.

Also note that Tablo Connect only works with computers, smartphones, and tablets. You can't use your Roku yet (it just won't pair like other devices). A Chromecast should work since it isn't paired to a Tablo; it just uses a laptop or tablet that is paired.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #671 of 672 Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 PM

snowcat, you are very informative and kind to share. You addressed questions I was about to ask... Thank you.
snowcat likes this.
post #672 of 672 Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

I am just glad to help out. Your stories with the Tablo and the Tivo have been very enjoyable to read, and I really like your attitude toward this product.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page