Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #721 of 728 Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
wait for it.....snowcat to the rescue....
mv213 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 728 Old 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by randmprecision View Post
I really want to like the Tablo, and these firmware updates sound great, but I still can't picture how it would work to record/playback anything other than say PBS. Hoping Tablo owners can clarify.

I understand when you're watching live TV and you change the channel, it takes 15-30 seconds to buffer and start playing. But does Tablo buffer playback of recorded TV also? In other words, when you fast forward over a commercial break, does the Tablo have to re-buffer the stream? How long does that buffering take (on a Roku)?

How does commercial seek work for you? I've read there is no FF/RW preview. Is there at least an option to skip ahead 30 or 60 seconds? If you have to fast forward when the commercials start, wait for it to buffer, and repeat until you finally get past all the commercials, I can't see Tablo as very practical for watching the big game.
This PVR will record CBS/NBC/ABC/CW/Fox/PBS without problem.
Buffering of live TV is due to the transcoding from MPEG2-TS to H.264 real time transcoding and buffering should NOT be required for local playback of recordings since the transcoding is done at the time of recording......
mv213 likes this.

Last edited by qz3fwd; 10-07-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #723 of 728 Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by randmprecision View Post
I really want to like the Tablo, and these firmware updates sound great, but I still can't picture how it would work to record/playback anything other than say PBS. Hoping Tablo owners can clarify.

I understand when you're watching live TV and you change the channel, it takes 15-30 seconds to buffer and start playing. But does Tablo buffer playback of recorded TV also? In other words, when you fast forward over a commercial break, does the Tablo have to re-buffer the stream? How long does that buffering take (on a Roku)?

How does commercial seek work for you? I've read there is no FF/RW preview. Is there at least an option to skip ahead 30 or 60 seconds? If you have to fast forward when the commercials start, wait for it to buffer, and repeat until you finally get past all the commercials, I can't see Tablo as very practical for watching the big game.
Sorry to take so long. I am on vacation this week and haven't been on the computer much.

Let me see if I can answer these questions.
1. The 15-30 second buffering only happens on live tv when tuning an "un-tuned" channel. There is no buffering if you switch to a channel that is already tuned or if you watch a recording. Fast forward and rewind do not require buffering either.

2. On the Roku, there is just no preview window when you fast forward or rewind (Netflix has one, while WatchESPN does not). With the current software, hitting the right arrow on the d-pad is a 10 sec FF, and hitting the left arrow is a 10 sec REW. You can also hit the FF button up to three times for slow, medium, and fast fast forwarding (Rewind button does the same going the other way). To judge how far you have moved, use the timeline (it shows where you are timewise on the recording). One of the big requested features is to be able to modify the 10 sec buttons to longer periods on the Roku (using the tablet or web apps, FF is 30 sec and REW is 20 sec).

When it comes to the NFL, I use my Tablo to record the game, but I watch it OTA directly to the TV (I have two antennas, but you could split one). The main reason is that I like to post on my Titans message board while the game is live, and the Tablo-Roku combination is about 15-20 seconds behind what I see going straight OTA. I don't like others posting a result before I even see the snap. (WatchESPN has the same the problem).
post #724 of 728 Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my Tablo for 2 weeks now and am very happy with the service. I've been watching on my iPad until today when I connected it to my new Vizio P60 via a Roku 3. The picture is outstanding, and the Roku app is very responsive. I especially like the picture-based DVR functionality; it's much better than an alphanumeric list of recorded programs. The rest is equally as intuitive. Great device for cutting the cord!
hubcityraider likes this.
post #725 of 728 Old 10-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
@BadSchnauzer - Glad to hear you're loving your Tablo
post #726 of 728 Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
Sorry to take so long. I am on vacation this week and haven't been on the computer much.

Let me see if I can answer these questions.
1. The 15-30 second buffering only happens on live tv when tuning an "un-tuned" channel. There is no buffering if you switch to a channel that is already tuned or if you watch a recording. Fast forward and rewind do not require buffering either.

2. On the Roku, there is just no preview window when you fast forward or rewind (Netflix has one, while WatchESPN does not). With the current software, hitting the right arrow on the d-pad is a 10 sec FF, and hitting the left arrow is a 10 sec REW. You can also hit the FF button up to three times for slow, medium, and fast fast forwarding (Rewind button does the same going the other way). To judge how far you have moved, use the timeline (it shows where you are timewise on the recording). One of the big requested features is to be able to modify the 10 sec buttons to longer periods on the Roku (using the tablet or web apps, FF is 30 sec and REW is 20 sec).

When it comes to the NFL, I use my Tablo to record the game, but I watch it OTA directly to the TV (I have two antennas, but you could split one). The main reason is that I like to post on my Titans message board while the game is live, and the Tablo-Roku combination is about 15-20 seconds behind what I see going straight OTA. I don't like others posting a result before I even see the snap. (WatchESPN has the same the problem).

Thank you; this is very helpful. Very good to hear Tablo doesn't buffer recordings, only live TV. I can split the signal when I want to watch live (as you do).

So when you guys want to skip commercials on the Roku, how are you doing it? Say you're expecting a 3-minute commercial break. Do you hit the D-pad right arrow 18 times (10 sec FF per press)? Or do you hit the FF button and hope you nail the timing just right?

MLB.com works the same way, except it's 6 sec FF for the D-pad right arrow. It's a nuisance, but I find the FF button advances way too fast. OTOH, if I'm timeshifting NFL games on Tablo I could see the D-pad being a very good thing, since those games are loaded with timeouts and irregular commercial breaks.
post #727 of 728 Old 10-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I usually just hold down the right arrow button and watch the timer change until 3 minutes of the recording has gone by. I mainly use the actual FF and REW buttons when I want to get pretty far into a long show (like a football game).

Thankfully, Tablo now remembers where you left off watching, so if I want to see the 4th quarter of a game, I don't have to FF to that point every time, just the first time.
post #728 of 728 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Is Tablo able to pass audio through to the roku or fire tv now? or is it still two channel?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page