Official Tablo thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #721 of 893 Old 10-06-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 136
wait for it.....snowcat to the rescue....
mv213 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 893 Old 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randmprecision View Post
I really want to like the Tablo, and these firmware updates sound great, but I still can't picture how it would work to record/playback anything other than say PBS. Hoping Tablo owners can clarify.

I understand when you're watching live TV and you change the channel, it takes 15-30 seconds to buffer and start playing. But does Tablo buffer playback of recorded TV also? In other words, when you fast forward over a commercial break, does the Tablo have to re-buffer the stream? How long does that buffering take (on a Roku)?

How does commercial seek work for you? I've read there is no FF/RW preview. Is there at least an option to skip ahead 30 or 60 seconds? If you have to fast forward when the commercials start, wait for it to buffer, and repeat until you finally get past all the commercials, I can't see Tablo as very practical for watching the big game.
This PVR will record CBS/NBC/ABC/CW/Fox/PBS without problem.
Buffering of live TV is due to the transcoding from MPEG2-TS to H.264 real time transcoding and buffering should NOT be required for local playback of recordings since the transcoding is done at the time of recording......
mv213 likes this.

Last edited by qz3fwd; 10-07-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #723 of 893 Old 10-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by randmprecision View Post
I really want to like the Tablo, and these firmware updates sound great, but I still can't picture how it would work to record/playback anything other than say PBS. Hoping Tablo owners can clarify.

I understand when you're watching live TV and you change the channel, it takes 15-30 seconds to buffer and start playing. But does Tablo buffer playback of recorded TV also? In other words, when you fast forward over a commercial break, does the Tablo have to re-buffer the stream? How long does that buffering take (on a Roku)?

How does commercial seek work for you? I've read there is no FF/RW preview. Is there at least an option to skip ahead 30 or 60 seconds? If you have to fast forward when the commercials start, wait for it to buffer, and repeat until you finally get past all the commercials, I can't see Tablo as very practical for watching the big game.
Sorry to take so long. I am on vacation this week and haven't been on the computer much.

Let me see if I can answer these questions.
1. The 15-30 second buffering only happens on live tv when tuning an "un-tuned" channel. There is no buffering if you switch to a channel that is already tuned or if you watch a recording. Fast forward and rewind do not require buffering either.

2. On the Roku, there is just no preview window when you fast forward or rewind (Netflix has one, while WatchESPN does not). With the current software, hitting the right arrow on the d-pad is a 10 sec FF, and hitting the left arrow is a 10 sec REW. You can also hit the FF button up to three times for slow, medium, and fast fast forwarding (Rewind button does the same going the other way). To judge how far you have moved, use the timeline (it shows where you are timewise on the recording). One of the big requested features is to be able to modify the 10 sec buttons to longer periods on the Roku (using the tablet or web apps, FF is 30 sec and REW is 20 sec).

When it comes to the NFL, I use my Tablo to record the game, but I watch it OTA directly to the TV (I have two antennas, but you could split one). The main reason is that I like to post on my Titans message board while the game is live, and the Tablo-Roku combination is about 15-20 seconds behind what I see going straight OTA. I don't like others posting a result before I even see the snap. (WatchESPN has the same the problem).

post #724 of 893 Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had my Tablo for 2 weeks now and am very happy with the service. I've been watching on my iPad until today when I connected it to my new Vizio P60 via a Roku 3. The picture is outstanding, and the Roku app is very responsive. I especially like the picture-based DVR functionality; it's much better than an alphanumeric list of recorded programs. The rest is equally as intuitive. Great device for cutting the cord!
hubcityraider likes this.
post #725 of 893 Old 10-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
@BadSchnauzer - Glad to hear you're loving your Tablo
post #726 of 893 Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
Sorry to take so long. I am on vacation this week and haven't been on the computer much.

Let me see if I can answer these questions.
1. The 15-30 second buffering only happens on live tv when tuning an "un-tuned" channel. There is no buffering if you switch to a channel that is already tuned or if you watch a recording. Fast forward and rewind do not require buffering either.

2. On the Roku, there is just no preview window when you fast forward or rewind (Netflix has one, while WatchESPN does not). With the current software, hitting the right arrow on the d-pad is a 10 sec FF, and hitting the left arrow is a 10 sec REW. You can also hit the FF button up to three times for slow, medium, and fast fast forwarding (Rewind button does the same going the other way). To judge how far you have moved, use the timeline (it shows where you are timewise on the recording). One of the big requested features is to be able to modify the 10 sec buttons to longer periods on the Roku (using the tablet or web apps, FF is 30 sec and REW is 20 sec).

When it comes to the NFL, I use my Tablo to record the game, but I watch it OTA directly to the TV (I have two antennas, but you could split one). The main reason is that I like to post on my Titans message board while the game is live, and the Tablo-Roku combination is about 15-20 seconds behind what I see going straight OTA. I don't like others posting a result before I even see the snap. (WatchESPN has the same the problem).

Thank you; this is very helpful. Very good to hear Tablo doesn't buffer recordings, only live TV. I can split the signal when I want to watch live (as you do).

So when you guys want to skip commercials on the Roku, how are you doing it? Say you're expecting a 3-minute commercial break. Do you hit the D-pad right arrow 18 times (10 sec FF per press)? Or do you hit the FF button and hope you nail the timing just right?

MLB.com works the same way, except it's 6 sec FF for the D-pad right arrow. It's a nuisance, but I find the FF button advances way too fast. OTOH, if I'm timeshifting NFL games on Tablo I could see the D-pad being a very good thing, since those games are loaded with timeouts and irregular commercial breaks.
post #727 of 893 Old 10-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I usually just hold down the right arrow button and watch the timer change until 3 minutes of the recording has gone by. I mainly use the actual FF and REW buttons when I want to get pretty far into a long show (like a football game).

Thankfully, Tablo now remembers where you left off watching, so if I want to see the 4th quarter of a game, I don't have to FF to that point every time, just the first time.
post #728 of 893 Old 10-29-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Is Tablo able to pass audio through to the roku or fire tv now? or is it still two channel?
post #729 of 893 Old 10-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

It's still two channel, but having AC3 passthrough was one of the survey questions that the Tablo folks used, so it looks like they are still trying to make it happen at some point.
post #730 of 893 Old 10-31-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is Tablo currently working on? They have been very quiet of late. Maybe they are busy servicing orders from Newegg and Amazon and hiring more developers with the revenue from sales to provide us with requested features?
BadSchnauzer likes this.
post #731 of 893 Old 11-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

The big thing they have been working on is a completely revamped Roku interface. They also just announced that apps for the iPhone and Android phones will be coming very soon.
jnsmith02 likes this.
post #732 of 893 Old 11-02-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope they hired more developers.
post #733 of 893 Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM

I've had the Tablo for about three weeks now, and love it. The video quality is excellent, but their official apps were not meeting my needs. I had a couple of custom HTML dashboards where I wanted to integrate live OTA video. I also wanted a browser app that was decoupled from their my.tablotv.com and would work on any browser. Especially from my phone. So I ended up creating a node js application that could talk directly to the Tablo and an browser. Works great for what I wanted to do. Anyways I published my notes on how to communicate with Tablo to the link below. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

Tablo API spec

Good Luck!
post #734 of 893 Old 11-03-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhac View Post
I've had the Tablo for about three weeks now, and love it. The video quality is excellent, but their official apps were not meeting my needs. I had a couple of custom HTML dashboards where I wanted to integrate live OTA video. I also wanted a browser app that was decoupled from their my.tablotv.com and would work on any browser. Especially from my phone. So I ended up creating a node js application that could talk directly to the Tablo and an browser. Works great for what I wanted to do. Anyways I published my notes on how to communicate with Tablo to the link below. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

Tablo API spec

Good Luck!
Cool-so with this one could develop a native binary player for Win/OSX which doesnt need to interact at all with the tablo servers? If so then great. I personally hate web apps and prefer the speed and efficiency of native binary applications. Not to mention that you probably want the system to function even if the tablo servers go down for a while.......
post #735 of 893 Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Cool-so with this one could develop a native binary player for Win/OSX which doesnt need to interact at all with the tablo servers? If so then great. I personally hate web apps and prefer the speed and efficiency of native binary applications. Not to mention that you probably want the system to function even if the tablo servers go down for a while.......
That's correct. I actually took my node.js app and bundled it with webkit and created a self contained binary. But you could use any language you wanted to.

The reason why their web app is tied to their infrastructure is that the Tablo doesn't render any browser HTML. It only provides web services. Thus your getting all the UI code from them and then making local calls your Tablo. This architecture is most likely due to hardware limitations of the Tablo hardware itself.
post #736 of 893 Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does your app have the ability to rendeer livetv/recording streams?
Maybe you can share it?
Anyhow I was doing some research on JSON parsing libraries today and next up is libs for the http streaming....
post #737 of 893 Old 11-04-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Does your app have the ability to rendeer livetv/recording streams?&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Maybe you can share it?&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Anyhow I was doing some research on JSON parsing libraries today and next up is libs for the http streaming....
It does have all those functions. It acts as a middle man between your tablo and your browser. Getting the video steams after your successfully authenticated to the tablo is like 2 messages. So once you know what object id or channel id your after it simply getting the right playlist. The playlist is in the m3u8 format just about every video player understands that. For my html dashboard i just embedded the call into the html video tag.

My code is not in the right form for public consumption. Theres a ton of debug stuff, theres a console, theres no error checking, and its not in a good patterned form. Remember the code was being written as I was trying to understand the protocol. And the code that that renders the html, e.g the UI, is about as good as the web page i wrote my notes on. Lol. I don't have the "mad" UI skills that others have.

Since the messaging format is WAMP there are libs for every language that will handle all the message formats for you. I didn't use those either. But now that the patterns of communication are known you would want to leverage them instead of parsing the json manually.

Last edited by superhac; 11-04-2014 at 06:05 AM.
post #738 of 893 Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I hope they hired more developers.
We definitely did. We have two new team members.

The entire dev team is hard at work on improving the living room experience including the Roku interface as Snowcat suggested. Roku will be large & in charge when we're done with it. Can't wait to show it off!
post #739 of 893 Old 11-04-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Tablo API spec

Good Luck!
The dev team was debating how long it took you to piece this together...
post #740 of 893 Old 11-04-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post
The dev team was debating how long it took you to piece this together...
LOL. Not too long... I worked on it after the kids went to bed for about 3 hours a night over the weekend. It took me longer to transcribe my chicken scratch write up. Between the Meteor app's javascript, the android app(DEX decompiled) and packet dumps it was a pretty smooth process. Far less difficult reversing then my day job and much more enjoyable! Plus the effort allowed a key piece of functionally to be integrated in my own app that I wanted for a very long time....

Please send my props to the dev's. Great product with a lot of potential.
post #741 of 893 Old 11-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Excited to see the new roku interface, I may jump on board if it's as good as you are saying. Any idea when we may be able to get a first look?
post #742 of 893 Old 11-06-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_13 View Post
Excited to see the new roku interface, I may jump on board if it's as good as you are saying. Any idea when we may be able to get a first look?
The plan is for end of 2014/very early 2015. Since this is a custom channel that doesn't use Roku's standard interface, everything has be done by hand. (There's no 'bones' to build on.) Needless to say, it's a major undertaking but I think everyone will be really pleased.
post #743 of 893 Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The plan is for end of 2014/very early 2015. Since this is a custom channel that doesn't use Roku's standard interface, everything has be done by hand. (There's no 'bones' to build on.) Needless to say, it's a major undertaking but I think everyone will be really pleased.
Thanks for the info, will keep my eyes peeled.
post #744 of 893 Old 11-06-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got a Tablo 2 tuner version. Hooked it up to a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim HDD and got it setup. I had to switch between the web browser and app to get the HDD to format but finally got it going. All channels are coming in at full scale. The only negative thing that I can say at this point is that the Android Tablo app is still a bit buggy which, together with some finger trouble on my side, made the initial setup not as smooth as it should have been. The Chrome web browser interface appears to be working much better. For example, the Tablo app connects to the Tablo on my Nexus 7 (2012) but on the Beelink RK3288 TV Box. The TV Box has no problems connecting via the web browser.

Gave the Tablo quite a exercise earlier tonight by recording two channels at the same time while streaming a delayed version of one of the programs being recorded to a Chromecast dongle and streaming a previously recorded program to the RK3288 TV Box (using the web browser). No glitches in the video. The Chromecast is over wifi and both the Tablot and TV Box are connected over ethernet. Quite happy. Now just to hide all the wires to get the WAF back to acceptable levels.

I realize that having so many unknown variables in a setup like the Tablo, problems will be more and may take a bit longer to resolve than a simpler confined system. Lets hope that the guys at Tablo will keep on improving this product. I think they have a winner.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4

Last edited by RamKat; 11-07-2014 at 04:06 AM.
post #745 of 893 Old 11-07-2014, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Power Management

Does the Tablo shut the USB power to the USB ports when not required? If so, would it have enough power to drive both a Seagate USB powered HDD and the Chromecast dongle? (I realize that this would limit the Chromecast to be useable only when the Tablo)

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #746 of 893 Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKat View Post
Does the Tablo shut the USB power to the USB ports when not required? If so, would it have enough power to drive both a Seagate USB powered HDD and the Chromecast dongle? (I realize that this would limit the Chromecast to be useable only when the Tablo)
So you're hoping to use the USB port on the Tablo to power your Chromecast?
post #747 of 893 Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So you're hoping to use the USB port on the Tablo to power your Chromecast?
Correct, but only if the Tablo manages the power to the USB port i.e shut it down when not required)

post #748 of 893 Old 11-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKat View Post
Correct, but only if the Tablo manages the power to the USB port i.e shut it down when not required)
It shouldn't. We tested it out on Friday. Tablo is now charging our support guy's phone.
post #749 of 893 Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Tablo API spec

Good Luck!
This is awesome work! One of these days I might play around and see if I could put together an .hta app. It would at the very least be a fun exercise.
post #750 of 893 Old 11-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv213 View Post
This is awesome work! One of these days I might play around and see if I could put together an .hta app. It would at the very least be a fun exercise.
Thanks. I'm also hoping to get some time in the future. The first thing I want to implement is a commercial skipper for both recorded programs and live tv. I've been slowing investigating about how to get some hooks into jsvideo for either blanking the screen for live tv or skipping forward on recorded programs once the commercial is detect. I just havent had the time to focus on it...
hubcityraider and mv213 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page