Official Tablo thread - Page 27 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Edit: the Tablo requires a tuner to create the thumbnails (not the roku).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Tablo now supports Amazon FireTv (both box and stick). The interface looks just like the web/tablet apps. This may be the best way to enjoy the Tablo on a TV (though no thumbnail support yet).

The new Roku app with the same type of updated interface should be out any day now. I have both a Roku3 and a FireTV hooked up my main TV, so I am looking forward to comparing the two.
jnsmith02 likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdg4486 View Post
I just bought a Tablo last night. Excited to get mine. However, I do have a question. On the channel guide does it label the Channels with their network affiliation or with the stations call letters? Is there a way to change the channel labels to reflect their network affiliation?
It would be nice in future sofware versions if Tablo would add channel logos. It would be more aesthetically pleasing. I believe the Channel Master DVR and some other brands already have this option.
bhambrad likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
It would be nice in future sofware versions if Tablo would add channel logos. It would be more aesthetically pleasing. I believe the Channel Master DVR and some other brands already have this option.
Heck-the LG LST3410A DVR had channel logos 10+ years ago. Seems like such an easy thing to implement-just download an icon pack as necessary and display in the GUI EPG....
Old 04-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
iPad Thumbnails

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSchnauzer View Post
Edit: the Tablo requires a tuner to create the thumbnails (not the roku).
I really love the nails on Roku 3, but would really like to have them on the iPad. Any chance this is in the plans???
Old 04-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried to look this up but haven't gotten a clear answer: can anyone tell me exactly how the customer receives the program guide for the Tablo? Is is over wifi? I am asking because my Tivo Premiere, which I bought 3 years ago with a lifetime subscription, keeps losing program information even though I spent over an hour with a Tivo rep the other week, and even the Tivo says my network is okay. I just get annoyed having to deal with the added network adapter which maybe is at fault. Would a Tablo work without such a device? And is it correct that it doesn't have to be connected to the television? That might work for me since my TV is nowhere near the router. Thanks
Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseha View Post
I tried to look this up but haven't gotten a clear answer: can anyone tell me exactly how the customer receives the program guide for the Tablo? Is is over wifi? I am asking because my Tivo Premiere, which I bought 3 years ago with a lifetime subscription, keeps losing program information even though I spent over an hour with a Tivo rep the other week, and even the Tivo says my network is okay. I just get annoyed having to deal with the added network adapter which maybe is at fault. Would a Tablo work without such a device? And is it correct that it doesn't have to be connected to the television? That might work for me since my TV is nowhere near the router. Thanks
the subscription guide data comes through the network connection. if you don't subscribe it will use psip data from the ota atsc broadcast....
Old 04-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
the subscription guide data comes through the network connection. if you don't subscribe it will use psip data from the ota atsc broadcast....

Thanks a lot, it does seem easier to use...maybe when the Tivo goes down for good (my listings are currently back) I'll look into it - the streaming from anywhere is certainly a welcome addition.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just saw that an app for the Apple watch is available. A product for a minimal number of users. But surround sound is still not available. A feature for most Tablo users.

I very much want to cut the cord but this is a deal breaker for me
Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfensler View Post
Just saw that an app for the Apple watch is available. A product for a minimal number of users. But surround sound is still not available. A feature for most Tablo users.

I agree. I really want to give Tablo a try, but i'm not about to fork out several hundred bucks for something that won't even pass through surround sound.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i suspect no surround has a lot to do with dolby patent fees.......
Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
i suspect no surround has a lot to do with dolby patent fees.......
If a $35 Raspberry Pi can pass through 5.1 DD and even DTS, then a $200 Tablo should at least be able to pass through 5.1 DD.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm as annoyed about the lack of DD5.1 as the next guy (esp. since they told me 2H2014--before they told me they aren't working on it); but I believe the Apple Watch app was an April Fools joke:

www .tablotv. com/blog/introducing-tablos-newest-app-tablo-clock

(Sorry for the "format" of the URL above. I don't have enough posts to include a link.)
Old 05-14-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree. I would love to see the Channel Logos (even generic network ones) and maybe cut down on all the large graphics for a faster load time. Just picked up a 4 tuner model and use it on my FireTV, FireTV Stick, AppleTV, iPhone and iPad. I get the impression they are very small. I called support a week ago and never got a call back. Many features like DD 5.1 should have already been added by now. The biggest thing I want to see is the login feature from the app so I can use another box in another state for football.

I got a great deal on my box on eBay so I'm happy with it. Don't know that I would have kept it had I paid full price.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrad View Post
Many features like DD 5.1 should have already been added by now.
The lack of DD 5.1 is the only thing keeping me from purchasing it.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I assume you are recording in 1080p, correct? On the FireTV app, I am seeing a lot of stuttering and glitches during long playback. How is your experience so far? I am using a 1TB WD Elements drive and a 4 tuner model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlawrence View Post
Forgive me if the answer to this is already in this thread (I've only read the posts since last August thus far) but I'm one of those people who will always record more programs that I can find time to watch. Therefore, I will fill up my 2 TB hard drive relatively quickly. I know I can just mothball it and plug in a new 2 TB drive and start over but I'd rather save a few bucks by buying a much larger drive (that never gets hooked to the Tablo) and transferring the shows from my 2 TB drive to the larger drive with the idea of copying certain programs back to the active 2 TB drive when I want to watch them. In other words, I'm looking to store unwatched shows on a drive that costs less per TB and want to know if there will be any issues in erasing my 2 TB drive and copying certain shows back to it in the future. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking the Tablo won't find things indexed right if I do this.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The lack of DD 5.1 is the only thing keeping me from purchasing it.
Yes, especially considering they go out of their way to transcode the 5.1 to 2.0 and they cannot even be bothered to implement pass through of the original ac3 audio stored as a second audio stream in the container they use for storage..... Seems like an easy no brainer update for them to make.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, especially considering they go out of their way to transcode the 5.1 to 2.0 and they cannot even be bothered to implement pass through of the original ac3 audio stored as a second audio stream in the container they use for storage..... Seems like an easy no brainer update for them to make.
I think that is what they though when it was released a year ago. 13 months later show that it is much harder than anyone would have guessed.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
I think that is what they though when it was released a year ago. 13 months later show that it is much harder than anyone would have guessed.
Or perhaps it is not a priority. they are short staffed, or havent even tried to implement it. We dont really know. It could even be a hardware limitation precluding pass through.....
Old 05-30-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I just setup my 4 tuner tablo after it sat for months after receiving it when it first came out.
No coax cable in the box-pretty lame.
Question: If a hdd is not connected, will this prevent you from setting the device up to scan channels, etc....?
I have the external usb drive in storage somewhere and didnt have an external drive connected and it just sits there slowly blinking the blue led connected through wireless and not visible in safari web app.....or do you have to use chrome or my phone to setup the device?
Old Today, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just setup my 4 tuner tablo after it sat for months after receiving it when it first came out.
No coax cable in the box-pretty lame.
Question: If a hdd is not connected, will this prevent you from setting the device up to scan channels, etc....?
I have the external usb drive in storage somewhere and didnt have an external drive connected and it just sits there slowly blinking the blue led connected through wireless and not visible in safari web app.....or do you have to use chrome or my phone to setup the device?
1. Why do you need coax? Your antenna should have it already. That is the only thing that uses coax with the Tablo.

2. You can set up the Tablo, scan channels, and even watch live TV without a hard drive. You just can't record anything or use it remotely.

3. It's a lot easier to use the Tablo if it is wired directly to your router, but if you need to use it wirelessly, here are the instructions: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/...rst-Time-Setup