Official Tablo thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 67Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #811 of 850 Old 06-15-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Likely a combination of B and C. Likely B is the primary first hurdle they cannot get over.
From their buffering implementation it is apparent C will also be a major obstacle for them.
Hopefully I am wrong.
qz3fwd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 850 Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
They are Dolby certified already (way back in the beginning).

Official Tablo thread
snowcat is online now  
post #813 of 850 Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hello everyone,

I'm researching cord cutting and will probably end up with a two tuner Tablo. What media are you watching that you'd like to have 5.1 on?

The tablo will be used for Football and sitcoms mostly for me so in those instances 5.1 is a nice to have but not really required. I don't know if NFL broadcasts have any surround anyway, they probably do but I've never noticed it.

I'm hoping to have redundant coax OTA connected to the AVR's anyway.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
post #814 of 850 Old 07-24-2015, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The NFL does do surround sound, but since I just have a soundbar hooked up to my main TV, the lack of 5.1 sound on my Tablo doesn't bother me.

I have had my 2-tuner Tablo for over a year now, and I think I have conflicts with just 2 tuners less than 5 times. One advantage a 4 tuner Tablo does have is that it can create thumbnail previews faster. Within a few minutes of a show ending its recording, the Tablo will use an available tuner to create those thumbnails. If you have a lot of back-to-back shows being recorded, it will take a while to get those thumbnails on a 2-tuner.

On my main tv, I do have a separate antenna hooked up directly for NFL games mainly. I like to post messages on my Titans board after good plays, and there is about a 30 second delay between seeing a play live on the direct antenna vs seeing it after being processed by the Tablo and Roku.

I hope you like it! If you haven't been to the main Tablo board, I encourage you to visit: https://community.tablotv.com/
snowcat is online now  
post #815 of 850 Old 07-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
The NFL does do surround sound, but since I just have a soundbar hooked up to my main TV, the lack of 5.1 sound on my Tablo doesn't bother me.

I have had my 2-tuner Tablo for over a year now, and I think I have conflicts with just 2 tuners less than 5 times. One advantage a 4 tuner Tablo does have is that it can create thumbnail previews faster. Within a few minutes of a show ending its recording, the Tablo will use an available tuner to create those thumbnails. If you have a lot of back-to-back shows being recorded, it will take a while to get those thumbnails on a 2-tuner.

On my main tv, I do have a separate antenna hooked up directly for NFL games mainly. I like to post messages on my Titans board after good plays, and there is about a 30 second delay between seeing a play live on the direct antenna vs seeing it after being processed by the Tablo and Roku.

I hope you like it! If you haven't been to the main Tablo board, I encourage you to visit: https://community.tablotv.com/
Thanks, that is good information to know. I'll be installing the Tablo tonight although shortly it will be going through an 8 port channel master amp as I intend to have all of my existing direct TV lines converted to antenna lines as a back up and 3rd TV tuner.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
post #816 of 850 Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
design1stcode2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Install went pretty smoothly, I probably will only use it on places I don’t have a direct antenna connection or if its recorded. I have antenna directly connected to two TV’s and will be connecting it to my theater once my tuner comes in. One thing I noticed is my TV’s can pick up Baltimore and DC stations but the Tablo shows 3 out of 5 circles for DC stations. It will allow me to add them to my Tablo list but if I attempt to tune them it won’t come in. If I flip to the antenna source it comes in fine.

Something to do with the Tablo OTA tuner perhaps. They are all coming off the same distribution amp.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)
 

Play like a Raven

design1stcode2nd is offline  
post #817 of 850 Unread 09-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The Tablo has a significant firmware upgrade that was released this week (first time the Tablo folks have staggered a release to its users). Now the Tablo will support any size hard drive, and the hard drive compatibility issues should go away now.

The Tablo also syncs in the background now, so you can start watching live tv or recordings as soon as the client connects to the Tablo. Before, the user had to wait for the sync to finish before doing anything, which might take a minute or two.

One new feature that I haven't been able to test yet is if the Tablo is set to record at 1080p and a show (usually sports) is displaying at 60 FPS, it will finally record at 60 FPS instead of the default 30 FPS.

I am still very pleased with my Tablo, and now I have a 4 TB hard drive so storage should not be a problem. My 1 TB drive was down under 100 GB. There is no good way of moving data from the old drive to the new, but some Tablo users have some terrific utilities to copy all the files to a computer in MP4 format for use offline.
snowcat is online now  
post #818 of 850 Unread 09-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Member
 
jbanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is another Tablo update. According to the Tablo blog, Tablo's IOS team will be working on an app for the new Apple Tv app store. This is good news for Apple chord cutters.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/excitin...-cord-cutters/
jbanker is offline  
post #819 of 850 Unread 09-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Aero 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Totowa, NJ
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Why do they bother? They can't even get their other apps working correctly.
Aero 1 is online now  
post #820 of 850 Unread 10-04-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Why do they bother? They can't even get their other apps working correctly.
How true:
1. It takes forever to connect to the device through the app either on the local LAN or remotely.
2. Buffering latency is horrible.
3. The app is sluggish and some junk html app apparently (android)
4. Downloading guide data is troublesome-even after changing zip codes and doing a channel re-scan.
5. Some major shows dont show up in the grid of shows (all).
6. No icons downloading.
7. EPG guide scrolling is not smooth and mine only goes out 24 hours with many un-populated events (missing data)
8. Doesnt the app cache guide and channel data iunstead of re-downloading it from the device every time it connects?
I think the device has potential, but as of now I would rate the product as an EPIC fail. (I have the 4 tuner version).
I will give it another shot though.
qz3fwd is offline  
post #821 of 850 Unread 10-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have a bad feeling (not that I care because I'm not a Tablo user, just been watching it from a distance) that Tivo is about to poach Tablo's niche in the next 6 to 12 months, which could potentially spell disaster for Tablo. Tivo has an app debuting this week for Amazon Fire Tv that will allow Fire users to watch recorded content from their Tivo on Amazon Fire. No live tv capability yet, but that could be added in the near future. If Tivo adds the live tv feature and expands the app to Roku and other devices, that could be a problem for Tablo.
Futrader8 is offline  
post #822 of 850 Unread 10-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Aero 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Totowa, NJ
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
I have a bad feeling (not that I care because I'm not a Tablo user, just been watching it from a distance) that Tivo is about to poach Tablo's niche in the next 6 to 12 months, which could potentially spell disaster for Tablo. Tivo has an app debuting this week for Amazon Fire Tv that will allow Fire users to watch recorded content from their Tivo on Amazon Fire. No live tv capability yet, but that could be added in the near future. If Tivo adds the live tv feature and expands the app to Roku and other devices, that could be a problem for Tablo.
"Live tv" will be included. It will simply start a recording on the TiVo in order for the TiVo Stream to grab it and transcode it to h.264 and send it to fire tv app.

Same principle as the tablo. The only difference is that it will actually include 5.1 audio. Something that tablo apparently finds difficult to implement.
Aero 1 is online now  
post #823 of 850 Unread 10-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Same principle as the tablo. The only difference is that it will actually include 5.1 audio. Something that tablo apparently finds difficult to implement.
Right, and the lack of 5.1 is what has kept me away from Tablo. It would be nice though if Tivo would incorporate a fully functioning app with real live tv and an epg.
Futrader8 is offline  
post #824 of 850 Unread 10-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Aero 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Totowa, NJ
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrader8 View Post
It would be nice though if Tivo would incorporate a fully functioning app with real live tv and an epg.
Well, that's kind of impossible. No current CE device on the market can play mpeg2 natively, except the shield soon from what I understand. That's why the tablo and TiVo need to transcode the Mpeg stream into an MP4.

The TiVo mini is what you are thinking about. It does proper live tv without transcoding with a guide, a buffer, Plex, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube, wwe soon, yahoo, all, opera web store and more. All for $150.
Aero 1 is online now  
post #825 of 850 Unread 10-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
How true:
1. It takes forever to connect to the device through the app either on the local LAN or remotely.
2. Buffering latency is horrible.
3. The app is sluggish and some junk html app apparently (android)
4. Downloading guide data is troublesome-even after changing zip codes and doing a channel re-scan.
5. Some major shows dont show up in the grid of shows (all).
6. No icons downloading.
7. EPG guide scrolling is not smooth and mine only goes out 24 hours with many un-populated events (missing data)
8. Doesnt the app cache guide and channel data iunstead of re-downloading it from the device every time it connects?
I think the device has potential, but as of now I would rate the product as an EPIC fail. (I have the 4 tuner version).
I will give it another shot though.
1. For me, it takes 10 seconds or less to connect to my Tablo through any device, wired or wireless.
2. It takes 10-20 seconds to initially buffer a channel. I wouldn't call that horrible,
3. Not sure what you mean by junk html app. I haven't seen any sluggish behavior.
4. Most users enter their zip code once and scan their channels once.
5. Haven't seen that at all. There does seem to be an issue with "prime time" if you live on the west coast (won't see all the shows that an east coast person will), but All Shows will show All Shows. Do you have any examples of what doesn't show?
6. ???
7. The live TV guide is only 24 hours, though there are two weeks of data for prime time, all shows, sports, movies, etc. I don't have any unpopulated channels, though apparently some people do.
8. Generally the first time each day that you use the Tablo on a particular device, it will sync the recorded programs and guide data. It is now in the background, though you do have to wait till it is finished until you can watch a recording from the previous day.


I would rate my 2-tuner a moderate success. The latest firmware has solved some problems (unlimited hard drive size, 60 fps 720p capture), while creating others (recordings sometimes not showing up in the interface even though they are on the hard drive). Hopefully the Tablo folks are close to fixing these issues.

The new FireTv, AppleTv, Chromecast, and Roku 4 should only help the Tablo sell more units. As these devices get more powerful, they can better solve any performance issues of the Tablo.
snowcat is online now  
post #826 of 850 Unread 10-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
ptwyzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at getting a Tablo. Is it possible to connect to it both wired and wireless? Have a Nexus player that's only wireless connected to one of our TVs.

Thanks.
ptwyzard is offline  
post #827 of 850 Unread 10-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwyzard View Post
I'm looking at getting a Tablo. Is it possible to connect to it both wired and wireless? Have a Nexus player that's only wireless connected to one of our TVs.

Thanks.
The Tablo itself is basically a server in a box that you connect an antenna and hard drive to, and it can be connected to your home network wired or wireless. Performance is much better if it can be wired.

Almost every Tablo user has both wired and wireless clients, like the Nexus player. As long as you have a decent wireless connection in your home, you will be fine. All my tablets and smartphones are wireless, as well as a Tablo 3, FireTv, and a Chromecast, and they all work well. I also have a PC and a Roku 3 that is wired as well.
snowcat is online now  
post #828 of 850 Unread 10-16-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DoyleS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA , USA
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am about to join the Cord Cutters and drop my $100/mo Dish subscription.
Tablo 4 DVR looks like the ideal box for me.
I have Roku 3 boxes both in my Theater and our family room TV.
Both areas have hardwired GigaBit Internet.
Rokus are connected to HDMI AVRs in both places.
If I understand correctly I would be controlling the Tablo with the Roku remote.
Based on this it looks like I can place the Tablo in either location and would like to do that based on the Shortest Coax connection from the Tablo to an amplified Winegard Antenna mounted up the hill about 100 feet from the house.
I have a solid rock hill between my house and the broadcast towers so no possibility to place the antenna on the house. Up the hill I have a clear view and will be running confirmation tests this next week.
Initially I thought the Tablo needed to be in the room most used for TV but it looks like it doesn't matter since all communication to it is over the internet.

Could someone just confirm my thinking on this?

Thanks,
Doyle

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
DoyleS is offline  
post #829 of 850 Unread 10-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Doyle, you are basically correct. Most people place their Tablo next to their router, but if you have a hardwired connection to your router in either location, then you will be fine in either place. Your main consideration at that point would be locating it closest to your antenna coax.

You will need a tablet or PC to set up your Tablo for the first time, as that is something that cannot be done on the Roku. The other big recommendation is to use DHCP reservation on your router to always use the same IP address for your Tablo. There is no way to assign an address on the Tablo itself (no manual network config), but your router should be able to do this. That makes the Tablo Connect remote access feature a lot more reliable.

If you have any more questions, the main Tablo support forum is a good place to look. https://community.tablotv.com/
snowcat is online now  
post #830 of 850 Unread 10-27-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DoyleS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA , USA
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
Doyle, you are basically correct. Most people place their Tablo next to their router, but if you have a hardwired connection to your router in either location, then you will be fine in either place. Your main consideration at that point would be locating it closest to your antenna coax.

You will need a tablet or PC to set up your Tablo for the first time, as that is something that cannot be done on the Roku. The other big recommendation is to use DHCP reservation on your router to always use the same IP address for your Tablo. There is no way to assign an address on the Tablo itself (no manual network config), but your router should be able to do this. That makes the Tablo Connect remote access feature a lot more reliable.

If you have any more questions, the main Tablo support forum is a good place to look. https://community.tablotv.com/
A delayed thanks Snowcat.
Finally got the antenna up the hill yesterday and Voila it works.
48 local channels and sub channels from the Sacramento stations.
Once I get the permanent cables run I will be ordering up the Tablo.

Thanks again.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
DoyleS is offline  
post #831 of 850 Unread 10-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleS View Post
A delayed thanks Snowcat.
Finally got the antenna up the hill yesterday and Voila it works.
48 local channels and sub channels from the Sacramento stations.
Once I get the permanent cables run I will be ordering up the Tablo.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. Glad to help.
snowcat is online now  
post #832 of 850 Unread 10-28-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 124
The software implementation on the Tablo is absolutely horrible.
The syncing process is unbearable and takes forever-over 25 minutes over a 4G connection with my home on Comcast 100+ Down/20 Up Mbit package.
You cant even look at the guide for several minutes while the app is apparently doing something which makes it appear to be hung.
You cannot look at your recording list while it is syncing.
You cannot do anything while it synch's. What a piece of crap on the app side.
Not only that but the Tablo becomes unreachable after a few weeks and has to be power cycled.

I sure hope their software development team come up with an implementation that is much more responsive and usable within seconds of connecting to the Tablo device.
I am very disappointed in what appeared to be a nice new entry into the market.
I almost pulled the trigger on lifetime, but will keep month to month until they fix their software.
The unit also misses recording weekly "season passes".....the whole point of having a DVR. Sad.

The buffering also sucks big time.
qz3fwd is offline  
post #833 of 850 Unread 10-29-2015, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
There are two types of syncing. The first one is when you connect a new device to the Tablo, connect after disconnecting, or connecting after the Tablo reboots. That one can take a few minutes to complete, and there is nothing you can do while it is go on. For me, it takes less than 5 minutes on any device.

The second one happens the whenever you connect after a recording is complete. That one usually takes under 1 minute for me, and you can do other activities (watch live tv, modify settings, watch an older recorded program) while it is going on. You do have to wait till it is finished to watch a recording that is new for this sync or to set up a new recording schedule.

From what I have read on the support forum, the number of channels and the number of shows recorded do affect response times. I have only 8 channels set up for my Tablo, while some people have up to 50 (like the Atlanta market). I do highly recommend setting the Tablo to use only the channels that you are going to use and leave the others out of the guide (like shopping channels and SD channels that you wouldn't ever watch). I also have only 16 different shows recorded (some are just one episode and some have multiple seasons with many episodes). If you have 100 shows recorded, response times for loading the show list are going to take longer that mine.

There are going to be performance differences based on the setup. I bet that qz3fwd has a very different Tablo configuration (channels, recordings, and maybe even home network) than I do, which is making his experience a lot more frustrating than mine. I certainly can't guarantee that everyone who buys a Tablo will have it work as well as it does for me. All I can say is that it does work well for me, and I hope it gets better for the ones where it is troublesome.

Last edited by snowcat; 10-29-2015 at 08:22 AM.
snowcat is online now  
post #834 of 850 Unread 10-30-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
There are two types of syncing. The first one is when you connect a new device to the Tablo, connect after disconnecting, or connecting after the Tablo reboots. That one can take a few minutes to complete, and there is nothing you can do while it is go on. For me, it takes less than 5 minutes on any device.

The second one happens the whenever you connect after a recording is complete. That one usually takes under 1 minute for me, and you can do other activities (watch live tv, modify settings, watch an older recorded program) while it is going on. You do have to wait till it is finished to watch a recording that is new for this sync or to set up a new recording schedule.

From what I have read on the support forum, the number of channels and the number of shows recorded do affect response times. I have only 8 channels set up for my Tablo, while some people have up to 50 (like the Atlanta market). I do highly recommend setting the Tablo to use only the channels that you are going to use and leave the others out of the guide (like shopping channels and SD channels that you wouldn't ever watch). I also have only 16 different shows recorded (some are just one episode and some have multiple seasons with many episodes). If you have 100 shows recorded, response times for loading the show list are going to take longer that mine.

There are going to be performance differences based on the setup. I bet that qz3fwd has a very different Tablo configuration (channels, recordings, and maybe even home network) than I do, which is making his experience a lot more frustrating than mine. I certainly can't guarantee that everyone who buys a Tablo will have it work as well as it does for me. All I can say is that it does work well for me, and I hope it gets better for the ones where it is troublesome.
The first type of syncing is what I am seeing a problem with.
Their software implementation and arcitecture are absolutley horrible.
You should be able to connect to the device, grab a small bit of information from the device and immediately allow the user to interact with the device.
The small amount of information should be a list of channels and a list of recordings to populate the windows. You then spawn a background thread to fetch the information as needed as the user moves around.
Downloading an entire database before the user can do anything is a terrible and flawed design decision on their part.

I have roughtly 30 channels and precisely 4 recordings. Series recordings dont seem to work.
Honestly this things is a piece of junk with a fatally flawed software implementation with many poor design decisions.
I really wanted to love this thing.
qz3fwd is offline  
post #835 of 850 Unread 10-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
snowcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 688
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If it is a "piece of junk", then why do so many people like me have no problems with it at all? I use series recording almost exclusively, and they work perfectly fine. I set it once and don't have to worry about it again.

We are just going to have to disagree about the Tablo. There are definitely some disgruntled users, but there are way more happy users of the Tablo based on what I see on the message boards.
snowcat is online now  
post #836 of 850 Unread 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleS View Post
A delayed thanks Snowcat.
Finally got the antenna up the hill yesterday and Voila it works.
48 local channels and sub channels from the Sacramento stations.
Once I get the permanent cables run I will be ordering up the Tablo.

Thanks again.
Hey Doyle, I'm in Fair Oaks and looking to go OTA with Tablo as well. Did you have to point your antenna in any specific direction? How is it all working out for you?
mcurci is offline  
post #837 of 850 Unread 11-19-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DoyleS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA , USA
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For me it was 204 degrees magnetic. For you it will likely be a little different.
you can use TVfool to enter your zip and get pointing angles. You can use the compass in the iphone to point with.
just be sure you know whether you are pointing at True or Magnetic north.
Tablo works fine. Only complaint is that there is a delay when changing channels of several seconds.
Recording works good. I have an external 2 GB hard drive. Quality of recordings is good.
I have not cut the cable yet and probably won't until first of the year as I work out a few internal
wiring issues.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
DoyleS is offline  
post #838 of 850 Unread 11-21-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DoyleS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA , USA
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
After 3 weeks with Tablo 4 channel, I am pretty pleased with it. There are delays when it is starts up but as a DVR it is working great. No problem recording Series and I really like the graphics for each of the shows that are downloaded along with the descriptions. I just have to decide now if I want to pop for the lifetime guide. Their guide is good with lots of info. I will have an interesting test this next week as I try to connect back to the Tablo from our second home. It may not work as I think the Roku has to at one time be connected to the Tablo locally for it to find it online.
If anyone has more info on this I would appreciate it.

Edit: OK, I found the info. It does need to be paired locally first and have the connect feature enabled. So I think I will take one of my two Rokus that are here with me to the second home and then bring the Roku from there back here. A little messy but at least I can run the test and we don't have local TV at the second home.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"

Last edited by DoyleS; 11-21-2015 at 01:06 PM.
DoyleS is offline  
post #839 of 850 Unread 11-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Newbie
 
sgnadeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleS View Post
After 3 weeks with Tablo 4 channel, I am pretty pleased with it. There are delays when it is starts up but as a DVR it is working great. No problem recording Series and I really like the graphics for each of the shows that are downloaded along with the descriptions. I just have to decide now if I want to pop for the lifetime guide. Their guide is good with lots of info. I will have an interesting test this next week as I try to connect back to the Tablo from our second home. It may not work as I think the Roku has to at one time be connected to the Tablo locally for it to find it online.
If anyone has more info on this I would appreciate it.

Edit: OK, I found the info. It does need to be paired locally first and have the connect feature enabled. So I think I will take one of my two Rokus that are here with me to the second home and then bring the Roku from there back here. A little messy but at least I can run the test and we don't have local TV at the second home.
Unfortunately, the Roku only connects to the Table DVR when it's on the same network. You won't be able to use it to access the Tablo DVR away from home.
sgnadeau is offline  
post #840 of 850 Unread 11-22-2015, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DoyleS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA , USA
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That is not the way it is described.
You connect the Roku on your network and then you connect to your Roku in my case with my iPad and go into Settings.
Then you turn on the Connect feature. It then talks to your router and sets up the port to communicate through.
If it is successful, the indicator turns Blue. In my case it turned Blue so I will take that Roku with me to the other
house on Tuesday and see if it can connect. The communication link is apparently to the Tablo Server and it in turn knows
how to communicate to my home network port that has been opened.

It all sounds good but we will see on Tuesday whether it works and if it does, what the picture quality is.
It is all described in the Tablo FAQ.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
DoyleS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off