Official Tablo thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
post #841 of 856 Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Roku does not support Connect. What you probably did was enable the iPad for Connect. The Amazon Fire boxes do support Connect, though.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 856 Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougc405 View Post
The Roku does not support Connect. What you probably did was enable the iPad for Connect. The Amazon Fire boxes do support Connect, though.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
The only way you can use Rokus remotely is via a VPN to your home network. You can use FireTv and AndroidTv boxes with TabloConnect, so you may want to get those and use them instead of the Rokus.
post #843 of 856 Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks guys, good to know. I'll give it a try with the ipad and see if I can then mirror it through Apple TV onto the flat panel. The iPad works well through Remote Connect even with a 1 Mbps upload setting. Once they get the Auto bandwidth setting working I'll just leave it on that but for now this will at least allow me to run the tests from 320 miles away.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"

Last edited by DoyleS; 11-23-2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: update
post #844 of 856 Old 01-11-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Are people still having a largely positive experience? I am cutting the cord this week and planning to use the Tablo to record football games when I can't watch them live. Also want to use it to DVR some network shows that are hard to stream (read CBS).

I have an Apple TV4 in the living room. Is airplay a decent stop gap to the native app coming this spring? Is anyone using Plex to view Tablo live?

Any update on 5.1 surround?

Any update on 15 second buffer? This would cause me to split the OTA for surfing.

Thinking of getting a SlingTV subscription that would give me a free Roku 2, or a 1/2 Roku 3 which we would use to access Tablo in the family room. Any experience with performance of Tablo on either unit?

Thanks!
post #845 of 856 Old 01-13-2016, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quick update and review.

I pulled the trigger and got my 4 tuner set up. After a few hours of use here are my 1st impressions:

So far I have really enjoyed the interface. I'm sure it will get even easier to navigate when I skip the channels we never watch.

Still no surround sound. For the types of shows I tested, my AVR does a passable job of faking the surround sound (Dolby Prologic II). The high production viewing is coming from sources other than OTA (HBO Now, Blurays, etc.) Football this weekend will be a good test. If I don't miss the surround sound there, I don't think I'll miss it anywhere.

The delay when changing channels is about 10-15 seconds and definitely not ideal. It hasn't been a deal breaker though. Right now I'm airplaying from an ipad, so by the time I broadcast to the tv, half the delay is gone. I haven't done a lot of channel surfing since going to OTA, because there just aren't that many quality programs airing at once.

It should be noted, I actually really enjoy airplay. I thought it would be a negative, but I enjoy navigating the guide or recorded shows on my lap since it's so much faster than even the native apple tv remote. I can still use the appletv remote to pause and play.

Thanks to snowcat and other who have provided so much quality info in this thread.
post #846 of 856 Old 01-16-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Reading the Tablo community threads would lead one to believe surround sound isn't coming any time soon. It's not on their short list of high priorities.
post #847 of 856 Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
Reading the Tablo community threads would lead one to believe surround sound isn't coming any time soon. It's not on their short list of high priorities.
To not include a technology that's 20 years old as a priority is simply ridiculous. That and 15 second channel changes......I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.
post #848 of 856 Old 01-20-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
To not include a technology that's 20 years old as a priority is simply ridiculous. That and 15 second channel changes......I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.
There's no denying it has some shortfalls, but I haven't found a better solution. I'm pleased with it so far.
post #849 of 856 Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
There's no denying it has some shortfalls, but I haven't found a better solution. I'm pleased with it so far.
Same with me. I am getting close to two years of ownership, and it has definitely been worth it.
post #850 of 856 Old 02-03-2016, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm considering getting a Tablo 4-tuner and probably the lifetime subscription...my main needs are a simple DVR in a spare bedroom with guide data and no recurring costs (I tried the DVR+ from channel master and it seems it's tuner doesn't like our OTA signals - they drop in and out with the DVR+ but not when the antenna is connected directly to the TV).

That said my main concern is the picture quality from a streaming device. I have a 5GHz network running on 802.11G and N. 5GHz is on the N channel. I can't turn off G because some devices aren't capable of N. So when I'm watching sports (football) I like to have a clear crisp picture as if I was watching it live. Many of these are in 720p or 1080i broadcasts.

How has it been streaming 720p and 1080i programming???
post #851 of 856 Old 02-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

There are a 5 quality settings that you can set your Tablo to:

HD 1080 - 10 Mbps, 720@60 fps
HD 1080 - 8 Mbps
HD 720 - 5 Mbps
HD 720 - 3 Mbps
SD 480p - 2 Mbps

For TV shows and movies, I really don't notice a difference between using the top three settings and using an antenna hooked up directly to the TV. So I have been very happy with the picture quality for those types of programming.

Sports is where it gets tricky. If you use the top setting, and you are watching the game on a 720p station, you can tell it is using 60 fps, and the quality is excellent. However, sports in any other situation just isn't as good as a directly connected antenna. If you have watched games on WatchESPN, it is like that. There is just an "internet video" feel to the game, and it likely is because it can't do interlaced video. It converts everything to progressive, and while it is decent quality, it is noticeable.

What I typically do is record my NFL games using my Tablo, but I watch the game live using an antenna.
post #852 of 856 Old 03-12-2016, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question and the answer may seem obvious but may not be. With a two tuner tablo, is it possible to record more than two programs at once if multiple channels are broadcast on the same frequency? I have done this with a computer and a single atsc tuner recorded three different programs simultaneously. I abandend that computer for DirecTV in 2012 but looking at options now.

Last edited by crappie; 03-12-2016 at 07:03 AM.
post #853 of 856 Old 03-17-2016, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A tuner is required for every recording so there's no way to record more than one program at a time with one tuner.
post #854 of 856 Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anybody tried Tablo with the new Smartcast Vizio TV?

Just trying to confirm it works well before I buy.
Blaine Doss likes this.
post #855 of 856 Unread 05-25-2016, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
Yup just returned mine for a TiVo bolt and one mini.. Its night and day difference.. But it does cost more.
post #856 of 856 Unread 05-25-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by crappie View Post
I have a question and the answer may seem obvious but may not be. With a two tuner tablo, is it possible to record more than two programs at once if multiple channels are broadcast on the same frequency? I have done this with a computer and a single atsc tuner recorded three different programs simultaneously. I abandend that computer for DirecTV in 2012 but looking at options now.
NO-Its not smart enough to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders