Official Tablo thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #61 of 557 Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30

Thanks Snowcat - We are still providing it to all of the pre-order folks. Just not moving forward. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 557 Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM

Btw - Here's the Android update as promised: http://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-on-android-sneak-peek

post #63 of 557 Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

1. Will there be an official Tablo forum?

2. Do overlaping recordings on the same channel use more than one tuner?

3. The user manual for the Tablo in Chapter 5 shows the bandwidth for different resolutions.  Is it possible to change the the bandwidth within a resolution?

4. Will it eventually be possible to setup a Tablo just using the Roku channel?

post #64 of 557 Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

Interesting. I noticed that Tablo will no longer provide an antenna, while that was advertised as part of the kit when we all pre-ordered. It's not a big deal to me, as I already have one set up, but other people that pre-ordered might be expecting it. In the FAQ on the main site, you guys have partially updated the section "What do I get when I buy a Tablo" to remove the antenna, but you still have "Please note that the antenna is not optimized for use in all locations and you may need to purchase an additional antenna to capture signals from all channels available in your area." You probably should fix that. wink.gif

I probably would not want the antenna they intended to ship.
People need a real antenna like the Channel Master CM4228 for good reception.
The indoor rabit ears just dont cut it.

Anyhow-thanks for the users manual and I look forward to seeing the 2 tuner model reviews and the launch of the 4 tuner version....
TabloTV likes this.
post #65 of 557 Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Btw - Here's the Android update as promised: http://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-on-android-sneak-peek

Will the app work on a smartphone too?

post #66 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

Will the app work on a smartphone too?

No, it won't. To use a smartphone, just go to my.tablotv.com in a browser on the phone. The native apps only work on iPads and Android tablets.
Questions123 and TabloTV like this.
post #67 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

No, it won't. To use a smartphone, just go to my.tablotv.com in a browser on the phone. The native apps only work on iPads and Android tablets.

Why would phones that run Android 4.2 not work?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #68 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

1. Will there be an official Tablo forum?

2. Do overlaping recordings on the same channel use more than one tuner?

3. The user manual for the Tablo in Chapter 5 shows the bandwidth for different resolutions.  Is it possible to change the the bandwidth within a resolution?

4. Will it eventually be possible to setup a Tablo just using the Roku channel?

Yes - there will be an official Tablo forum. We're just waiting until after pre-orders ship to turn it on. 

As for 'overlapping recordings on the same channel' - do you mean if the guide data is incorrect and has back to back episodes scheduled to overlap by a minute or two? If that's the case the team has told me that they've never seen a guide data error like this but if this were to happen one of two things would happen... Either nothing would happen as we factor in up to a minute of recording for a late start OR it would just failover to the second tuner which would be less likely. 

It is not possible to adjust bandwidths - just recording resolution options. 

And it's unlikely that we would add setup through the Roku channel as it'll be available through the web-based app. We will be adding additional features within Roku though including possibly settings. 

post #69 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I probably would not want the antenna they intended to ship.
People need a real antenna like the Channel Master CM4228 for good reception.
The indoor rabit ears just dont cut it.

And this is why we reconsidered the included antenna. A good antenna is critical to having a good experience with Tablo so we wanted people to take the time to research what would work best for them. 

post #70 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Why would phones that run Android 4.2 not work?

It's a native tablet app so it's been designed specifically for tablet sized screens. 

post #71 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As for 'overlapping recordings on the same channel' - do you mean if the guide data is incorrect and has back to back episodes scheduled to overlap by a minute or two? If that's the case the team has told me that they've never seen a guide data error like this but if this were to happen one of two things would happen... Either nothing would happen as we factor in up to a minute of recording for a late start OR it would just failover to the second tuner which would be less likely. 
I don't think the issue here is whether the guide data is correct or not. The issue is whether users can force the Tablo to use two tuners in situations in which two back to back programs on the same channel are recorded where the padding causes the two recordings to overlap. In my mind there should definitely be a way to force the use of two tuners. If you can't force the use of two tuners then the beginning of one recording or the end of another recording are going to be cut off. My SageTV software handles this issue correctly; my Channel Master DVR+ does not. As an example, suppose you want to record the News Hour on PBS from 6-7 pm followed by recording Nightly Business Report, also on PBS, from 7 to 7:30 pm, and you want two minutes of padding at the beginning of each recording. So if the Tablo handles this correctly, Tuner 1 would record the News Hour on PBS from 5:58 pm to 7 pm and Tuner 2 would record Nightly Business Report from 6:58 pm to 7:30 pm. You need two tuners because both would be in use at the same time between 6:58 pm and 7 pm.
post #72 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You don't need two tuners for padding successive shows on the same channel if the firmware is smart enough to recognize the situation and to save copies of the padding overlap in *both* programs’ files.  Then the unit could record that channel straight through on one tuner and allow use of the other tuners for other channels at the same time, and if the actual change from one program to another doesn't occur at the instant when the recorder expects it (or if the recorder drops a few seconds’ worth or leaves them inaccessible when it stops one event and starts another at the same time on the same channel), the viewer still gets a full copy of each show in its own file.
post #73 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

You don't need two tuners for padding successive shows on the same channel if the firmware is smart enough to recognize the situation and to save copies of the padding overlap in *both* programs’ files.  Then the unit could record that channel straight through on one tuner and allow use of the other tuners for other channels at the same time, and if the actual change from one program to another doesn't occur at the instant when the recorder expects it (or if the recorder drops a few seconds’ worth or leaves them inaccessible when it stops one event and starts another at the same time on the same channel), the viewer still gets a full copy of each show in its own file.
I would be surprised if the firmware is smart enough to recognize this type of situation and cut and paste a couple of minutes from one recording and paste it onto the beginning of another program. Yes, in theory, I suppose this could be done but in my experience I have never seen a DVR set up this way. My experience has been that you need two tuners.
post #74 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never seen one either, and while my experience is limited, my cynicism is not, so I'm fairly confident that none exist.  You'd need a DVR designed by someone who actually watches television.
post #75 of 557 Old 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM

I've consulted our dev team to get some clarification on this... 

Quote:

Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

As an example, suppose you want to record the News Hour on PBS from 6-7 pm followed by recording Nightly Business Report, also on PBS, from 7 to 7:30 pm, and you want two minutes of padding at the beginning of each recording. So if the Tablo handles this correctly, Tuner 1 would record the News Hour on PBS from 5:58 pm to 7 pm and Tuner 2 would record Nightly Business Report from 6:58 pm to 7:30 pm. You need two tuners because both would be in use at the same time between 6:58 pm and 7 pm.

This is the model we currently use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

And this is what we would LIKE to do in a future firmware update. There is no ETA for this but it's definitely on the list. 

post #76 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And this is what we would LIKE to do in a future firmware update. There is no ETA for this but it's definitely on the list.
If you do, I'm sure you'll be the first, and it will be greatly appreciated.
post #77 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41

It seems to me there is a fatal flaw in Tablo's grand design; by omitting to include HDMI output they've clearly failed to take into account the all-important WF - the Wife Factor!

We cut the cable recently and now we have 5 remotes to jump around to our various viewing sources (I'll spare you the gory details) My wife is none too pleased with this complication in her life but there is one thing she knows she can fall back on. She can always just select "TV" and watch whatever is on now live. One button, one remote - the one that has Samsung written on it, same as the TV.

We already have Netflix streaming to Chromecast which she uses a lot and is quite comfortable with, so we're not complete luddites. But if there is no HDMI out then there is no simple out. Dancing through hoops is now a prerequisite - there is nothing simple anymore. Sure it's nice to be able to stream to all the devices in the house, but if you only have 1 main TV you need the option of viewing it in a simple way.

So please reconsider. Life is complicated enough. KISS. It's clear to me that your boffins have out-thunk themselves on this one! What were they thinking?

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #78 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM

Thanks Dattier! 

We want to keep making Tablo more awesome as we move forward which is why we're planning on adding all of these 'wouldn't it be nice if' features. 

post #79 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

It seems to me there is a fatal flaw in Tablo's grand design; by omitting to include HDMI output they've clearly failed to take into account the all-important WF - the Wife Factor!

We cut the cable recently and now we have 5 remotes to jump around to our various viewing sources (I'll spare you the gory details) My wife is none too pleased with this complication in her life but there is one thing she knows she can fall back on. She can always just select "TV" and watch whatever is on now live. One button, one remote - the one that has Samsung written on it, same as the TV.

We already have Netflix streaming to Chromecast which she uses a lot and is quite comfortable with, so we're not complete luddites. But if there is no HDMI out then there is no simple out. Dancing through hoops is now a prerequisite - there is nothing simple anymore. Sure it's nice to be able to stream to all the devices in the house, but if you only have 1 main TV you need the option of viewing it in a simple way.

So please reconsider. Life is complicated enough. KISS. It's clear to me that your boffins have out-thunk themselves on this one! What were they thinking?

You're not the only one who feels that we lack an HDMI port but it was a conscious decision so we can offer a multi-screen experience. You can read more on it here: http://www.tablotv.com/blog/why-oh-why-no-hdmi-because-it-saves-you-money-thats-why

If you want a '1 remote to rule them all' option, Roku will work with Netflix and a bunch of other streaming options as well as Tablo. It will also work with Chromecast which she's familiar with.

You can also used the web-based app if you have a TV connected via HDMI to your TV.

That being said, having two X chromosomes and lacking an engineering degree, I find Tablo super-simple to use.

post #80 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

On HDMI, there's also the $10,000 annual fee plus a per-unit fee?

post #81 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

What does the Tablo do when overlapping back to back recordings on the same channel plus another recording on another channel at the same time conflict resulting in calling for 3 tuners when only 2 tuners are available (assuming you have the two tuner model)? Suppose you ask it to record News Hour on 12.1 WHYY Philadelphia from 5:58 pm to 7 pm, Nightly Business Report, also on 12.1 from 6:58 pm to 7:30 pm, and also record the movie Shamus on 29.2 Movies! from 5:48 pm to 8 pm. So for 2 minutes between 6:58 pm and 7 pm you are asking for 3 tuners when only 2 tuners are available. Does it cancel one of the three recordings, omit the padding from the back to back recordings on 12.1, give you an error message asking you to resolve the recording conflict, or something else?
post #82 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

What does the Tablo do when overlapping back to back recordings on the same channel plus another recording on another channel at the same time conflict resulting in calling for 3 tuners when only 2 tuners are available (assuming you have the two tuner model)? Suppose you ask it to record News Hour on 12.1 WHYY Philadelphia from 5:58 pm to 7 pm, Nightly Business Report, also on 12.1 from 6:58 pm to 7:30 pm, and also record the movie Shamus on 29.2 Movies! from 5:48 pm to 8 pm. So for 2 minutes between 6:58 pm and 7 pm you are asking for 3 tuners when only 2 tuners are available. Does it cancel one of the three recordings, omit the padding from the back to back recordings on 12.1, give you an error message asking you to resolve the recording conflict, or something else?

why would you do that? knowing that the show ends 6:58, why would you tell it to record till 7 knowing that the next show that you want to record on the same channel starts at 6:58? it doesnt make sense. if the guide is correct, then you just record it based on the guide and the device will end and start the recordings on time. no need to manually set a time. i dont understand the reasoning.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #83 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For me, the Tablo's lack of an HDMI out jack plus the fact that it is designed to work with apps is actually a big plus. Since I already own an Apple TV and a Roku 3 I already have two ways of getting video from the Tablo to my home theatre setup. That means that the Tablo does not have to be located physically close to my AVR but can instead be placed where it is easiest to feed it signals via coax from a rooftop TV antenna, which in my case would mean the basement. Since the Tablo is meant to be controlled via apps on an iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch you get away from all the hassles of an infrared-based remote. The other advantage is, assuming it all works, is you can watch live or recorded TV on your mobile device such as an iPad. So in my mind the Tablo is a network ATSC tuner similar to SiliconDust's HDHomeRun but with recording capability and the ability to have the device interact with mobile devices and be controlled by apps.
TabloTV likes this.
post #84 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

why would you do that? knowing that the show ends 6:58, why would you tell it to record till 7 knowing that the next show that you want to record on the same channel starts at 6:58? it doesnt make sense. if the guide is correct, then you just record it based on the guide and the device will end and start the recordings on time. no need to manually set a time. i dont understand the reasoning.
The point of having a couple of minutes of overlap or padding on recordings of back to back shows on the same channel is to make sure you record the entire program and not have the first minute or two cut off. You need to allow for a little bit of error in the TV station's clock, the time the TV station actually starts broadcasting a show, and the time on the Tablo's clock.
post #85 of 557 Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

The point of having a couple of minutes of overlap or padding on recordings of back to back shows on the same channel is to make sure you record the entire program and not have the first minute or two cut off. You need to allow for a little bit of error in the TV station's clock, the time the TV station actually starts broadcasting a show, and the time on the Tablo's clock.

This brings up a few more questions.
1. When you set up a show or series to record, are there any adjustments that can be made to the time (like adding an extra 30 minutes for sports or adding an extra couple of minutes for the above case)?
2. How does the Tablo keep track of time? Does it have a clock that connects to the internet? Does it handle daylight savings time starting and ending? (that seems to be an issue with other DVRs)
3. If Tennessee were to pass a proposed bill to always be on Daylight Savings time, could the Tablo handle it?

Thanks!
post #86 of 557 Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Is there an external power brick? How big? Got a pic with something of scale (a quarter, a 12 oz can of something)?

Is the one year subscription offer dead when it switches from pre-order to live orders?
post #87 of 557 Old 03-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Well I just preordered my 2 tuner. Tablo company : I hope you guys are better at customer service than simple.tv, and have any bugs fixed before you release this device to the public. I am sick of crappy electronics that claim something and don't do crap.

Mo!
post #88 of 557 Old 03-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Why does Tablo need an HDMI? Just hook it up and use roku, thats as wife friendly as you can get.
TabloTV likes this.
post #89 of 557 Old 03-21-2014, 05:33 PM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Why does Tablo need an HDMI? Just hook it up and use roku, thats as wife friendly as you can get.

I'm a minimalist; everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler, he said. (Einstein, was it?)

Why would I want to buy a device that needs another device to make it work?

And, besides, as I mentioned, we already have Chromecast, so we're not about to buy a Roku now, are we? If we really wanted to go that route we'd just wait 'till Tablo adds Chromecast support.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #90 of 557 Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I'm a minimalist; everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler, he said. (Einstein, was it?)

Why would I want to buy a device that needs another device to make it work?

And, besides, as I mentioned, we already have Chromecast, so we're not about to buy a Roku now, are we? If we really wanted to go that route we'd just wait 'till Tablo adds Chromecast support.

Wow... Chromecast only requires a computer, an internet connection, and a TV with an available HDMI port to make it work. Am I missing something? confused.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page