33Likes

post #91 of 632 Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

What does the Tablo do when overlapping back to back recordings on the same channel plus another recording on another channel at the same time conflict resulting in calling for 3 tuners when only 2 tuners are available (assuming you have the two tuner model)? Suppose you ask it to record News Hour on 12.1 WHYY Philadelphia from 5:58 pm to 7 pm, Nightly Business Report, also on 12.1 from 6:58 pm to 7:30 pm, and also record the movie Shamus on 29.2 Movies! from 5:48 pm to 8 pm. So for 2 minutes between 6:58 pm and 7 pm you are asking for 3 tuners when only 2 tuners are available. Does it cancel one of the three recordings, omit the padding from the back to back recordings on 12.1, give you an error message asking you to resolve the recording conflict, or something else?

Sorry guys - haven't had a chance to check back with you all till now :D

We have conflict resolution when you try to schedule more programs than available tuners. Check out the Conflict Resolution section in our user guide for more detail http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201749027-Chapter-5-Using-the-Tablo-App

But in the use case you mentioned, there shouldn't be an issue. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 632 Old 03-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

This brings up a few more questions.
1. When you set up a show or series to record, are there any adjustments that can be made to the time (like adding an extra 30 minutes for sports or adding an extra couple of minutes for the above case)?
2. How does the Tablo keep track of time? Does it have a clock that connects to the internet? Does it handle daylight savings time starting and ending? (that seems to be an issue with other DVRs)
3. If Tennessee were to pass a proposed bill to always be on Daylight Savings time, could the Tablo handle it?

Thanks!

Question 1 - We don't have this currently but it's on the roadmap.

Question 2 - Our 'time' is set by a clock connected via the internet. It does handle daylight savings time well. (One of the many things we tested!) 

Question 3 - It should if the internet-based clock includes this information. 

post #93 of 632 Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Is there an external power brick? How big? Got a pic with something of scale (a quarter, a 12 oz can of something)?

Is the one year subscription offer dead when it switches from pre-order to live orders?

You can see our AC adapter in the following link: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201743157-Chapter-1-What-s-Inside-the-box-

And yes - the 1 year free subscription is over when pre-orders end which is really soon! After that you'll only receive 1 month of free guide data before you must choose a subscription option. 

post #94 of 632 Old 03-25-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Well I just preordered my 2 tuner. Tablo company : I hope you guys are better at customer service than simple.tv, and have any bugs fixed before you release this device to the public. I am sick of crappy electronics that claim something and don't do crap.

Mo!

We made a testing list and we checked it twice for this very reason. We want to release a product that had all basic features working 100% and then build on that foundation with new features over the coming months.

We also pride ourselves on excellent customer service so please let me know if there's anything I can do to make your Tablo experience better! 

post #95 of 632 Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Wow... Chromecast only requires a computer, an internet connection, and a TV with an available HDMI port to make it work. Am I missing something? 

It's the controls for pause, FFW and REW within the tablet apps that we need to make work. You should be able to 'fling' content from apps with Chromecast when we ship. We'll be focusing more on Chromecast and improving Roku when Android 1.0 is squared away.

post #96 of 632 Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

And yes - the 1 year free subscription is over when pre-orders end which is really soon!

Really soon being... Monday, right?

post #97 of 632 Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

Really soon being... Monday, right?

Nope - midnight tonight ET is the cut off! 

We'll be taking orders after that, but they won't include the free year of guide data and they'll be shipping from our next batch of units which will go out mid next month. So if you want to get your Tablo sooner rather than later and get in on the pre-order bonus, get your order in today!

post #98 of 632 Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So did this start shipping yesterday?
post #99 of 632 Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

So did this start shipping yesterday?

The first units are leaving the warehouse on Monday. Boxes are being packed as we speak! 

snowcat likes this.
post #100 of 632 Old 03-29-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Great news. I look forward to reading the first reviews here on AVSForum.....

Now-lets get that 4 tuner box out the door (which will be much less susceptible to scheduled recording conflicts).
post #101 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 AM

We'll be putting the 4-Tuner through its paces over the coming weeks. Stay tuned for shipping info! 

post #102 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 AM

Does the Roku interface offer anything over the web interface? (is it more polished? does it have more functionality? etc.?)

post #103 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

Does the Roku interface offer anything over the web interface? (is it more polished? does it have more functionality? etc.?)

The web-based interface actually has more features than the Roku interface and it looks/behaves a lot more like our other apps. 

If you have the option between Roku or media PC/HDMI laptop to the TV, I'd do media PC. This is what we do at my house and it's awesome. 

That being said, we're still adding features/functionality to our Roku app and if you have a family that's familiar with Roku and really loves having a remote to click through things vs. a keyboard/mouse it could be a better option for you. 

post #104 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

The web-based interface actually has more features than the Roku interface and it looks/behaves a lot more like our other apps. 

If you have the option between Roku or media PC/HDMI laptop to the TV, I'd do media PC. This is what we do at my house and it's awesome. 

That being said, we're still adding features/functionality to our Roku app and if you have a family that's familiar with Roku and really loves having a remote to click through things vs. a keyboard/mouse it could be a better option for you. 

I have a SmartTV with a built-in web browser, which will also allow the use of a remote control too. I think I'll try that option first. Thanks!
TabloTV likes this.

post #105 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM

FYI Questions - The web-based app is optimized for Chrome. We have two SmartTVs in the office and have found it works great on the LG built-in browser but that the Samsung was a bit sketchy. We'll be working on improving optimization for other browsers over the coming months.  

post #106 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It looks like they finally are shipping today. On the TabloTv.com blog, Canadian customers are receiving their tracking numbers, while American customers will get them "soon".

The blog is pretty good describing the feeling of us customers waiting. biggrin.gif

http://www.tablotv.com/blog/the-time-has-come--tablo-is-shipping-
post #107 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 11:44 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a cutoff date for the lifetime guide subscription for $150?
post #108 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:

It looks like they finally are shipping today. On the TabloTv.com blog, Canadian customers are receiving their tracking numbers, while American customers will get them "soon".

The blog is pretty good describing the feeling of us customers waiting. biggrin.gif

http://www.tablotv.com/blog/the-time-has-come--tablo-is-shipping-

I read every single email, tweet, Facebook comment etc. I felt those gifs were an accurate representation of the whole. :) 

post #109 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post

Is there a cutoff date for the lifetime guide subscription for $150?

We'll always sell a lifetime option Vidwiz. 

post #110 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10

I have a couple of networking questions:

1.  In an earlier discussion with a Tablo TV representative on Engadget it was explained that the Tablo will still function without an internet connection (after the initial setup) with only the loss of program guide and of course out of home streaming.  Is this still correct?

Quote:
 @Xzyl Tablo only uses the internet once a day to gather guide data. Everything else uses your home network so if your router works, your Tablo works. 

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/tablo-dvr-pre-order/#comments

2.  Your online Tablo user guide Chapter 4 states:

Quote:

Connecting Using an Ethernet Connection

... For Tablo to be discovered by the App, the Tablo and the device running the Tablo App need to be on the same router or network segment.

My home networking knowledge is still limited. Can I have an additional router off the main router and still access the Tablo from a Roku on the second router?

[Living Room router]

|        |           |

[Tablo] [Roku 1]   |

|

[Daughter's router]

|             |

[Roku 2]  [Other Devices]

post #111 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 03:36 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can you guys put up some videos on your website or on youtube showing what the interface looks like on a SmartTV, Samsung, LG, etc? Its your product but I think you would serve your customers well by making a dedicated app for smart TVs. I'm very interested in the 4 tuner model but not thrilled about the idea of adding a Roku to every TV or worse a PC.

Rick
post #112 of 632 Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

My home networking knowledge is still limited. Can I have an additional router off the main router and still access the Tablo from a Roku on the second router?

[Living Room router]

|        |           |

[Tablo] [Roku 1]   |

|

[Daughter's router]

|             |

Sure. You just need to ensure both routers are on the same network. Radio Shack to the rescue... :) or Google cascading routers.

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/connect-two-routers-one-home-network-2300.html

post #113 of 632 Old 04-01-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

I have a couple of networking questions:

1.  In an earlier discussion with a Tablo TV representative on Engadget it was explained that the Tablo will still function without an internet connection (after the initial setup) with only the loss of program guide and of course out of home streaming.  Is this still correct?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/tablo-dvr-pre-order/#comments

2.  Your online Tablo user guide Chapter 4 states:

[Living Room router]

|        |           |

[Tablo] [Roku 1]   |

|

[Daughter's router]

|             |

Xyzl - This is still correct: "@Xzyl Tablo only uses the internet once a day to gather guide data. Everything else uses your home network so if your router works, your Tablo works."

You still need to have internet to gather guide data but that data is stored locally on your device, not on a web server which is likely why your TiVo was borked. In the event of not having internet connectivity, the next time Tablo gets connected, it'll update the guide and the UI accordingly (add new shows etc.)

And re: your router question... Your Tablo and the peripherals you use it on need to be connected to the same network. The solution Charles suggested may work (if your routers are working together to form a single network) but depending on your specific setup it could still cause some issues with device discovery. Is there a reason why you're running two routers in a single home?

post #114 of 632 Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Can you guys put up some videos on your website or on youtube showing what the interface looks like on a SmartTV, Samsung, LG, etc? Its your product but I think you would serve your customers well by making a dedicated app for smart TVs. I'm very interested in the 4 tuner model but not thrilled about the idea of adding a Roku to every TV or worse a PC.

We were talking roadmap yesterday and dedicated apps for SmartTVs was on the list of 'things we'd like to do'. This would obviously be dependent on working with some of the manufacturers as these environments aren't yet as dev friendly as options like Roku or Chromecast. 

In the meantime, you can use the web-based app on many SmartTVs (need a larger installed user base to get a good list of ones that work well and which ones don't). We'll be doing a blog post on that app in the coming days. Stay tuned!

post #115 of 632 Old 04-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't receive any shipping info yesterday. Will the American orders be processed today, or did I get skipped over? I know my credit card has been charged.
post #116 of 632 Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:

I didn't receive any shipping info yesterday. Will the American orders be processed today, or did I get skipped over? I know my credit card has been charged.

Tablo commented on FB that it'll happen in the next day or two... ugh... more delays.

post #117 of 632 Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Nope - you didn't get skipped Snowcat. :)  We had a large number of US orders for our NY team process. They're all shipping out together (on a giant pallet) so the entire batch has to be processed before we get shipping #s to email to you. You should have your tracking # in the next day or two.

post #118 of 632 Old 04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I wanted to make sure.
post #119 of 632 Old 04-02-2014, 09:22 AM

Liked: 13

@TabloTV I know it was just announced,  but do you think that the Amazon Fire TV's web interface will be sufficient for Tablo?

I just bought a Roku 3 in prep for ordering a 4-Tuner when they are available for order and the FireTV sounds like a better option.

-MM13

post #120 of 632 Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

@TabloTV I know it was just announced,  but do you think that the Amazon Fire TV's web interface will be sufficient for Tablo?

I just bought a Roku 3 in prep for ordering a 4-Tuner when they are available for order and the FireTV sounds like a better option.

-MM13

We were totally watching the liveblog of the FireTV launch. Seems like Roku + gaming. Neat combo! 

Hard to tell 100% from the presentation, but it seems like they're aiming for an open ecosystem. If there's an SDK, we'll be looking at it! 

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page