60Likes
post #151 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

Why is a tuner needed to re-encode recordings to different formats?

-MM13

We use our hardware to transcode the video to a lower bit rate to avoid stuttering for out-of-home streaming (othewise known as Tablo Connect). 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

sgnadeau,

I also am waiting for two things:  Decent reviews and 4-tuner model.

Why is a tuner needed to re-encode recordings to different formats?

-MM13

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/202200368-Chapter-6-Connecting-to-Tablo-Away-from-Home

If you read this section, it is because the upload bitrate is usually a lot less than the download bitrate. To accommodate viewing outside of your home network, the video has to be re-encoded at a lower quality. However, if you have a good upload bitrate (5 Mbps for 720p and 10Mbps for 1080p), you don't have to re-encode and it won't use a tuner.
post #153 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Hey @snowcat - we're hiring for a support position now. Wanna come work for us? :D

post #154 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

It would be fun, though I am busy enough doing software and systems performance testing for my current job. smile.gif I do appreciate support/help desks and all they do. It's not an easy job, and I have been impressed so far from what I have seen from you and your company.
post #155 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

It would be fun, though I am busy enough doing software and systems performance testing for my current job. smile.gif I do appreciate support/help desks and all they do. It's not an easy job, and I have been impressed so far from what I have seen from you and your company.

Aw thanks! We try to be the kind of company we'd want to deal with ourselves.

And I don't blame you for wanting to stay. The weather is probably nicer in Nashville. 

post #156 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnadeau View Post

Recordings can be scheduled directly in the grid under the Live TV menu. You can't do series recording using this option, only recordings for individual programs.

Not sure what you're using (tablet/roku/browser), but from the webapp if you press info (instead of record), you can record the series.

post #157 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 PM

First impressions: I’m very impressed

Appearance
The form factor is smaller than I expected. It’s solid. All good here.

Setup
I’m using a wired connection, and a computer, Samsung Smart TV, and Samsung smartphones. I tried using Firefox, but firefox will not connect from the PC. The Tablo recognized my harddrive right away (Toshiba Canvio 1.5TB ). It showed me the channel listings, I chose which ones I wanted to add, it downloaded the latest firmware.
And again… the Tablo asked me to format my hard drive, and again I hit format (I’m guessing the firmware update interrupted the format process, no biggie, but would’ve been nice to know). Until the drive is formatted, you can’t use the Tablo. The format probably took about 20 mins.
Tablo connect needs to be manually enabled via settings.

Tuners
The tuners are sensitive. The two channels which my TV struggles with (poor reception), work very well on the Tablo.

Computer Use
I could only add some TV shows, I’m guessing the channel guide data didn’t fully come in yet…

Samsung Smart TV Usage
I can get onto the my.tablotv.com website, it detects the Tablo, but it hangs when I try to connect to it (says “Connecting” with the spinning circle)… o well, that would’ve been nice. For now I'll keep the Roku.

Smartphone Usage
Worked both in-network and after it was paired.
Though I get a message “You are running a version of Android that supports playing Tablo video in the Android video player. Launch the video player using the button below.” That’s great, but when I launch the video in the designated viewer, I don’t have pause/rewind/etc. functionality.

Roku Usage
Roku works fine. The rewind/fast forward displays on screen as expected. Streams well, etc.

One thing I noticed in video quality -- I set the Tablo to 720p and set the Roku to upconvert to 1080p the video quality was noticeably worse than if I set the Roku to 720p and my AVR to 1080p (I didn't try passthrough on the AVR, but I will later)

Guide
It took me about 12+ hours for the guide to download. Up until then, every few hours I would see more shows listed under "TV Shows".

I like the guide, it showing you exactly what time it is and how far along you are

I like that I can click on a show and it’ll not only show me the next episode on the “primary” channel, but it’ll search for the show and any episodes available on ANY channel. Impressive.

Issues
1. I paused live TV, through the computer, and there is no “live” or fast forward button. If I use the keyboard, then yes, I can skip forward or back, but it’s not intuitive, and I don’t see how far back I went in the episode on the screen (i.e. with my current cable DVR, if I hit pause, it’ll show me that I’m at 5:43 of the 30:00 episode). On the Roku it works fine.
2. One more issue: the conflict resolution doesn't work from the webapp, i.e. there is no conflict resolution button "Resolve "Conflict" as shown here: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201749027-Chapter-5-Using-the-Tablo-App

Wishlist (I know most of these are already in the pipeline)
5.1 surround sound passthrough
It would be nice to have an update bar on the status of the format of the hard drive
Firefox support
Smart TV apps
Automatic stream quality
Hard drive being swappable between Tablos
Adjusting the recording times (i.e. +/-1min, +/-5mins, +/-30mins)
When searching for a recording, if nothing comes up, it should say “nothing” instead of a black screen (I can’t tell if it’s still thinking, or it didn’t find anything)
Smartphone app for pause/rewind/fast forward
Ability to use a browser in someone elses home for streaming…
Place to check my subscription status
Recording through Roku
Option to resume playback from where I left off (on the webapp it does this)

post #158 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 51
What bitrate/resolution options are there for the re-encoded recordings?
post #159 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Questions123,

Yes, you're correct. You can also schedule series recording from the grid by clicking on Info. I forgot that this was also possible.

Thanks for reminding me.

post #160 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 06:37 PM

@Questions123 

I'll answer your question no. 2. Tablo downloads 14 days of program guide data but only displays 24 hours. That's what you see in the grid.

You can tell that it downloads 14 days if you select a TV show. It will list all the episodes that it can find in the 14 days of program guide data that it downloaded.

I thought I had mentioned it in my post but maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Questions123 and TabloTV like this.
post #161 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnadeau View Post

@Questions123

I'll answer your question no. 2. Tablo downloads 14 days of program guide data but only displays 24 hours. That's what you see in the grid.

You can tell that it downloads 14 days if you select a TV show. It will list all the episodes that it can find in the 14 days of program guide data that it downloaded.

I thought I had mentioned it in my post but maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Thanks.

I think mine didn't download all 14 days yet, because when I check now (a few hours after I installed it), I have more shows visible than I did originally. Though I don't think I'm at 14 days yet...

post #162 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

Questions
1. I didn’t realize a device needs to be paired before trying to view it outside of the home. And that it means a browser can’t be used in someone else’s home. Is this going to change?
2. I thought 14 days of guide data was promised, why can I only see ~1 day? Did it not download? How long does it take to download?
3. Where can I check my subscription status? (I know we get a year free)

Wishlist (I know most of these are already in the pipeline)
It would be nice to have an update bar on the status of the format of the hard drive
Firefox support
5.1 surround sound passthrough
Smart TV apps
Automatic stream quality
Hard drive being swappable between Tablos
Adjusting the recording times (i.e. +/-1min, +/-5mins, +/-30mins)
When searching for a recording, if nothing comes up, it should say “nothing” instead of a black screen (I can’t tell if it’s still thinking, or it didn’t find anything)
Smartphone app for pause/rewind/fast forward
Ability to use a browser in someone elses home for streaming…

Answers! 
1 - We have to 'pair' a device first so random people don't go connecting into your Tablo. If you're often at a friend's place you can have them bring their device over to pair it with your Tablo. 

2 - Yes - you've got 14 days but Live TV only shows 24 hours.

3 - We'll have our subscription status area online in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Tx for the wishlist as well! Yes - lots of this stuff is already on the map. Like the suggestion around not finding anything in search!

post #163 of 762 Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM

Liked: 10
Received my Tablo today, was able to set it up without a problem - so far so good (main use is through a Roku box).

Have a question, does the Tablo box ever tell the USB HD to spin down, or is that a function of the HD itself? It would seem that during long periods of inactivity this would make sense.
post #164 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

I think mine didn't download all 14 days yet, because when I check now (a few hours after I installed it), I have more shows visible than I did originally. Though I don't think I'm at 14 days yet...

And about 12 hours later, there are even more shows available [possibly all of them now]. I guess it takes some time to populate.

post #165 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

What bitrate/resolution options are there for the re-encoded recordings?

Attached a screenshot.
Quality.jpg 101k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quality.jpg (101.1 KB, 58 views)

post #166 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 05:30 AM

One more issue: the conflict resolution doesn't work from the webapp, i.e. there is no conflict resolution button "Resolve "Conflict" as shown here: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201749027-Chapter-5-Using-the-Tablo-App

post #167 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So far very nice device. I like it. Can you please add recording option to live tv via roku
Thanks
post #168 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Attached a screenshot.
Quality.jpg 101k .jpg file

Does full quality mean it saves the original mpeg2 ts without altering it in any way?

So far from the reports it sounds like a well executed very nice device. I cannot wait to order the 4 tuner model.

I still don't understand the pairing logic between the hard drive and device. It this an attempt to appease the content owners/broadcasters? Why is pairing required?
post #169 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 222
Quote:

Does full quality mean it saves the original mpeg2 ts without altering it in any way?

Earlier in the thread they stated it never captures the naive image as it's encoded (at a lower bit rate) during the recording process. At least that is what I remember and a reason I marked it off my list (the 4 tuner version).

post #170 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Quote:

Earlier in the thread they stated it never captures the naive image as it's encoded (at a lower bit rate) during the recording process. At least that is what I remember and a reason I marked it off my list (the 4 tuner version).

See this post by TabloTV.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #171 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

See this post by TabloTV.

Again, what does "Full" quality mean? What resolution and bitrate?
post #172 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I answered that earlier. Full Quality for remote viewing means that it doesn't re-encode the stream and therefore doesn't require an open tuner (so it plays just like you were on your home network). But you have to have 5 Mpbs upload speed for 720p recordings and 10 Mpbs upload speed for 1080p recordings.
post #173 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

The screen shot is of remote streaming quality section of settings.  Full quality would mean that the recording will not be transcoded again and remain in the resolution and bitrate it was originally recoded in when remotely streamed.

Tablo records at the following bitrates and resolutions:

1080P at 10 Mbps

720P at   5 Mbps

480P at   2 Mbps

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201749027-Chapter-5-Using-the-Tablo-App

post #174 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

Tablo records at the following bitrates and resolutions:

Since they aren't storing the raw data and are saving it in another codec I think it's hard to know what if any image loss there is based strictly on numbers...

From my post here you can see my locals exceed 15Mbps. I believe H.264 uses less space than MPEG-2 so in this case it best use 1/3 less or they will have to be dropping quality. It would be nice if someone actually explained the entire process.

With WMC my recordings typically range from 4.5 to 7.5GBs per hour... again it's not apples to apples since the codec is different.

post #175 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

There will be quality loss due to the transcoding/re - encoding , but 10 maps he 60 should look really good. I do wish they had the capability of also storing the original mpeg2 ts on the hard drive. It would be simple for them to implement....
post #176 of 762 Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 PM

I know we had a conversation earlier in the thread about conflicting recordings, but to me the answer wasn't clear. I decided to run an experiment.

If a show runs to 10:01, instead of 10pm, and for 1minute (10:00pm-10:01pm) there are 3 recordings scheduled, what happens at 10:02pm? Sadly, the show that was in conflict doesn't get recorded at all...

In the attached example, Fox news at ten wasn't recorded at all.

post #177 of 762 Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

My biggest problem so far is a known bug where the Seagate Backup Plus 2TB drive (not the portable one) is not recognized by the Tablo due to the sector size. I do have a 500 GB WD drive that is pretty old that I am able to use for now, but I really want to get the 2TB drive to work.

I have made it work with my Android tablet, iPad2, and laptop. I have a Win8 phone, and while it will detect the Tablo in its browser, it isn't able to play anything. I think this is because the only two browsers that work with it now are Chrome and Safari, and the Win8 phone has to use IE.

It has worked fine on my Roku and Chromecast as well. The main pain of the Chromecast is that if you want to switch channels or recordings, you have to have your tablet/browser take back control, make the change, and then send it back to the Chromecast. On the Roku, everything is done on the Roku menus.

The picture quality is very good (I am using 720P) on all the devices and my TVs. I haven't seen any kind of stuttering yet.

If they can get my hard drive problem fixed, I will be very happy.
post #178 of 762 Old 04-06-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to reviews on the two tuner model. I am patiently (not very well) awaiting the arrival of my 4 tuner model.
post #179 of 762 Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Will there be a channel skip feature added to the Tablo software?
I mean that the device scans the recording for commercial breaks and keeps a record of the commercial breaks such that they can be skipped during playack?
The commercial breaks would remain in the recorded file, but the device would present a timeline in which the commercial break segments are hidden.
Kinda like a playlist, though transitions would need to be seamless when playing over a commercial break.

That would be a really cool feture and I think the Hopper has this functionality.
post #180 of 762 Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Strange, Snowcat. I have a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB drive and it is working fine with the Tablo. 

I have had the Tablo for a day and my initial impressions are very favorable. I am in the process of cutting the cord and the Tablo may have saved me from the hassle/expense of getting an outdoor antenna. The reception is poor from an indoor antenna placed near my main TV on the ground floor. I placed the same antenna (Mohu Curve) and Tablo in the attic. Since my wireless router is on the ground floor, I figured this would not work very well. But so far it is working great! I have watched TV on my big screen TV, iPad mini, and a 2011 Macbook Air. I have noticed some stuttering on the Macbook but the picture looks pristine on the TV and iPad. This suggests the problem is with the Macbook rather than the Tablo per se. I have streamed to the TV using the iPad (AirPlay) as well as the new $49 Roku stick which simply plugs into an HDMI port on the back of the TV. Both look great (720p). The Roku is nice (wife factor) since you use a regular remote to change channels, pause, view recordings, etc. You can't do everything with the Roku and the interface is not as polished as the iPad app, but it works just fine. As an experiment, I watched a bit of live TV using a T-Mobile LTE connection where Wi-Fi was not available. It worked. 

I am looking forward to canceling my Time Warner $150/month cable bill. In fact, I'll do that later today.

To the folks at Tablo, well done!

David Martin

Reply HDTV Recorders