Official Tablo thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #181 of 756 Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is turning out better than I hoped.

TabloTV likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 756 Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I mean that the device scans the recording for commercial breaks and keeps a record of the commercial breaks such that they can be skipped during playack?
The commercial breaks would remain in the recorded file, but the device would present a timeline in which the commercial break segments are hidden.

That would be a really cool feture and I think the Hopper has this functionality.

WMC supports auto commercial skip although it is less than perfect. You can rewind or fast forward should you notice a goof...

The Hopper doesn't support this per se. My understanding (from reading a few articles) is Dish has actual people view the shows (only the big four networks?) and they flag the commercials. They were making the smart recordings available 24 hours (or so) after airing but have agreed to delay them for a few days recently.

post #183 of 756 Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgdoc View Post

Strange, Snowcat. I have a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB drive and it is working fine with the Tablo. 

I have had the Tablo for a day and my initial impressions are very favorable. I am in the process of cutting the cord and the Tablo may have saved me from the hassle/expense of getting an outdoor antenna. The reception is poor from an indoor antenna placed near my main TV on the ground floor. I placed the same antenna (Mohu Curve) and Tablo in the attic. Since my wireless router is on the ground floor, I figured this would not work very well. But so far it is working great! I have watched TV on my big screen TV, iPad mini, and a 2011 Macbook Air. I have noticed some stuttering on the Macbook but the picture looks pristine on the TV and iPad. This suggests the problem is with the Macbook rather than the Tablo per se. I have streamed to the TV using the iPad (AirPlay) as well as the new $49 Roku stick which simply plugs into an HDMI port on the back of the TV. Both look great (720p). The Roku is nice (wife factor) since you use a regular remote to change channels, pause, view recordings, etc. You can't do everything with the Roku and the interface is not as polished as the iPad app, but it works just fine. As an experiment, I watched a bit of live TV using a T-Mobile LTE connection where Wi-Fi was not available. It worked. 

I am looking forward to canceling my Time Warner $150/month cable bill. In fact, I'll do that later today.

To the folks at Tablo, well done!

David Martin

Mac's in general suck the big one for video playback IMO.
Sad that a small device can have superior playback to the full fledged laptop.
OSX is a very poor platform for AV content playback.
All Apple cares about is supporting its limited codec support which is designed to support ITunes only.....

And yes-I have had a MacPro for 3 years and built a new Windows 7 machine last month after finally concluding OSX is not really capable of fulfilling all my needs. Software offerings are so very limited on the Apple platform, even with the app store......
post #184 of 756 Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have had my Tablo for a few days now. I love it. Awesome job tablo people. A device that works as promised and much better than that simple.tv (what a piece of crap). Recordings are without a single glitch and the PQ is awesome. Works perfectly with my ROKUs all around the house. I have been cable/satellite free for one month now.. not bad.

Thanks for a great device!
TabloTV likes this.
post #185 of 756 Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 AM

Liked: 13

@TabloTV Is it possible to add a 30 second skip and associate it with the Roku's physical remote buttons?  For example,  configure the A button to 30 second skip and B button to 5 second reverse?

Thanks,

-MM13

post #186 of 756 Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
it'd be cool if one of y'all could put up a youtube review so we could see how it looks.wink.gif
post #187 of 756 Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48

And now that some people have received their unit it would be nice to see some more detailed reviews. 

What's the consensus? Is it the best new new thing or is it not ready for prime time?

I'm hoping some of the forum members can chime in with some first impressions because there are virtually No other recent reviews anywhere on the web!

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #188 of 756 Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could someone speak to the live-tv viewing on Roku? Is it rock-solid reliable?

I'm a Simple.TV v1 user...and while watching the recordings is ok, live-tv viewing is painful...primarily because it routinely needs viewer interaction to maintain an HD picture (pausing to fill the buffer and un-pausing, for example).
post #189 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post

Could someone speak to the live-tv viewing on Roku? Is it rock-solid reliable?

I'm a Simple.TV v1 user...and while watching the recordings is ok, live-tv viewing is painful...primarily because it routinely needs viewer interaction to maintain an HD picture (pausing to fill the buffer and un-pausing, for example).

Here is how live TV viewing works on the Tablo. When you select a new channel, it pauses for about 6 or 7 seconds to fill a buffer. Then it plays back well with no issues or pauses. If you use another device to go to the same channel, it immediately starts playing (because the buffer is on the Tablo, not the viewing device). Changing channels requires you to hit a back button (which stops playback), select a new channel, same buffer pause the first time, and then start playing.

Now if you are just switching back and forth between two channels (like watching NFL games on CBS and FOX on Sundays), both streams will be buffered after watching each one once, so going back and forth should be pretty quick. But it still isn't as convenient as a regular tv with a "previous channel" button.

So I would say yes, it is rock-solid reliable. There still is some work to do, though. In my Win7 chrome browser watching live tv, I can pause, but I can't FF or Rewind (but I can do both for a recording). On the Roku, I can pause, rewind, and FF live TV. On the iPad, there are dedicated 20 sec rewind and 30 sec skip buttons that work with live TV.
post #190 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 AM

Liked: 13

laridae,

Here is a review that popped up on my Google News feed yesterday:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2140206/hands-on-with-the-tablo-dvr-over-the-air-tv-to-go.html

-MM13

post #191 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

And now that some people have received their unit it would be nice to see some more detailed reviews. 

What's the consensus? Is it the best new new thing or is it not ready for prime time?

I'm hoping some of the forum members can chime in with some first impressions because there are virtually No other recent reviews anywhere on the web!

There are a few reviews in this thread, and a few more here: http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/7/first-impressions

IMO so far so good, there are a few things missing, but nothing major. All the functionality of a DVR is there, and it's pretty damn cool. If Tablo even implements half of the feature requests, this thing will be amazing.

post #192 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

In my Win7 chrome browser watching live tv, I can pause, but I can't FF or Rewind (but I can do both for a recording).

Actually you can, press the right and left buttons on the keyboard. You can't see how far back you go (or forward), but it does rewind and FF.

post #193 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

Actually you can, press the right and left buttons on the keyboard. You can't see how far back you go (or forward), but it does rewind and FF.

Thanks! That worked.
post #194 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbellaire View Post

Have a question, does the Tablo box ever tell the USB HD to spin down, or is that a function of the HD itself? It would seem that during long periods of inactivity this would make sense.

If your drive has 'sleep' firmware (and most do), yes it will sleep during inactive periods.

post #195 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:

One more issue: the conflict resolution doesn't work from the webapp, i.e. there is no conflict resolution button "Resolve "Conflict" as shown here: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201749027-Chapter-5-Using-the-Tablo-App

We'll be adding features (including conflict resolution) to the web-based app to achieve feature parity with other apps in the coming months. Stay tuned.  

post #196 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

From my post here you can see my locals exceed 15Mbps. I believe H.264 uses less space than MPEG-2 so in this case it best use 1/3 less or they will have to be dropping quality. It would be nice if someone actually explained the entire process.

Charles - I'll see if I can have our guru in this area provide an explanation blurb. Stay tuned.

post #197 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:

I know we had a conversation earlier in the thread about conflicting recordings, but to me the answer wasn't clear. I decided to run an experiment.

If a show runs to 10:01, instead of 10pm, and for 1minute (10:00pm-10:01pm) there are 3 recordings scheduled, what happens at 10:02pm? Sadly, the show that was in conflict doesn't get recorded at all...

In the attached example, Fox news at ten wasn't recorded at all.

Looking into this for you Questions. 

Questions123 likes this.
post #198 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

If they can get my hard drive problem fixed, I will be very happy.

We're working on it! Drives us batty as well since there's no way to tell on the HD packaging what the sector size would be and it varies within the exact same device! 

Frustrating for us and for our customers so it's on the 'get this done ASAP' list. :) 

post #199 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Looking into this for you Questions. 
Thanks. It wasn't really a complaint, it was more of an FYI for people.

For the record, my cable DVR does the exact same thing.

post #200 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgdoc View Post

To the folks at Tablo, well done!

David Martin

Thank you! 

post #201 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Will there be a channel skip feature added to the Tablo software?
I mean that the device scans the recording for commercial breaks and keeps a record of the commercial breaks such that they can be skipped during playack?
The commercial breaks would remain in the recorded file, but the device would present a timeline in which the commercial break segments are hidden.
Kinda like a playlist, though transitions would need to be seamless when playing over a commercial break.

That would be a really cool feture and I think the Hopper has this functionality.

I think you mean commercial skip.... We offer a 30 second skip feature right now. You can select this a few times back to back and get through commericals with no problem.

I'm not sure if we'd be able to do a full skip, but we've talked about having the skip time editable so you can choose 1 minute or 2 minutes etc.

post #202 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman13 View Post

@TabloTV Is it possible to add a 30 second skip and associate it with the Roku's physical remote buttons?  For example,  configure the A button to 30 second skip and B button to 5 second reverse?

Thanks,

-MM13

Heard a rumour that the up/down/right/left keys already do this but we're seeing if we can program this further. Stay tuned.

post #203 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Heard a rumour that the up/down/right/left keys already do this but we're seeing if we can program this further. Stay tuned.

On Roku 1, the left and right buttons do this. Though when I press right to skip forward 10 seconds, it skips and pauses... then I need to hit play again.
The up and down buttons... I don't remember exactly, but one of them brings me back to the home screen and I forget what the other one does.

post #204 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

I have had my Tablo for a few days now. I love it. Awesome job tablo people. A device that works as promised and much better than that simple.tv (what a piece of crap). Recordings are without a single glitch and the PQ is awesome. Works perfectly with my ROKUs all around the house. I have been cable/satellite free for one month now.. not bad.

Thanks for a great device!

Awesome! Thanks for your review. 

post #205 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I think you mean commercial skip.... We offer a 30 second skip feature right now. You can select this a few times back to back and get through commericals with no problem.

I'm not sure if we'd be able to do a full skip, but we've talked about having the skip time editable so you can choose 1 minute or 2 minutes etc.
Yes, I meant advertisement skip feature. I'd there is sufficient processing power the device could look for black frames and audio silence and flag these events as advert breaks start/stop events and associate this meta data to the recording.....
post #206 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Yes, I meant advertisement skip feature. I'd there is sufficient processing power the device could look for black frames and audio silence and flag these events as advert breaks start/stop events and associate this meta data to the recording.....

Not sure - but I'll ask the folks with the engineering degrees :) 

post #207 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:

On Roku 1, the left and right buttons do this. Though when I press right to skip forward 30 seconds, it skips and pauses... then I need to hit play again.

I have a Roku 2 XS, the right button (on the directional pad) jumps forward 10 secs at a time (I have to hit it 6 times to move 1 minute).
post #208 of 756 Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbellaire View Post

I have a Roku 2 XS, the right button (on the directional pad) jumps forward 10 secs at a time (I have to hit it 6 times to move 1 minute).

I double checked, you're right, sorry. I'll fix my post. Up goes back to the Roku up. During live tv down shows the info (channel number, show, time streamed or something)

Left goes back 10secs, right goes forward 10secs.

post #209 of 756 Old 04-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

It looks like the Tablo 2-tuner is back up for sale on their main site as well as Newegg US and Newegg Canada. That should help get the word out as well.
post #210 of 756 Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:

If your drive has 'sleep' firmware (and most do), yes it will sleep during inactive periods.

My Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB drive would never sleep. However, I found through the Seagate Dashboard software that sleep mode was disabled by default. Using the software I was able to set the sleep interval to 10 mins. Now it spins down when inactive - Tablo continues to work great, scheduled recordings and playback were not affected at all.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page