Advertisement

post #212 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

It would be nice if someone actually explained the entire process.

Hopefully this is helpful Charles:

We transcode ATSC MPEG 2 to H.264. We currently transcode the AC3 to two channel AAC but hope to add an AC3 pass through in the near future.

Recorded programs on Tablo are stored in HLS playlist format that can be reassembled into a standard MPEG file. There is no DRM.

Recording Quality: The resolution of the video recorded on the Hard Drive can be selected using this control. The options are 1080p, 720p and Standard Definition (480p).

1080p                    720p                      SD (480p)            

Bandwidth                          10 Mbps               5 Mbps                 2 Mbps

Gigabytes/Hour                4 GB/hr                 2 GB/hr                 0.8 GB/hr

We have found that the best tradeoff in terms of the size of the recording, best use of Wi-Fi bandwidth and quality of the recording is 720p. Selecting 1080p will consume more bandwidth over the Wi-Fi network and will use more space on your disk and may not provide a significant improvement in quality.  If you are streaming video to multiple devices at the same time and experience stuttering (the video pauses and then resumes every few minutes), try reducing the recording quality. However, note that this will only affect new recordings and Live TV. Your old recordings will remain at the bandwidth specified by the quality setting when they were recorded.

Does that cover everything you were wondering about? 

post #213 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:

WMC supports auto commercial skip although it is less than perfect. You can rewind or fast forward should you notice a goof...

The Hopper doesn't support this per se. My understanding (from reading a few articles) is Dish has actual people view the shows (only the big four networks?) and they flag the commercials. They were making the smart recordings available 24 hours (or so) after airing but have agreed to delay them for a few days recently.

According to the powers that be we would love to do this, but it's unlikely our current processor would have enough power to do it.

post #214 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

Please add resume when playing back recordings
Thanks!

Resume is on the roadmap! 

post #215 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Does that cover everything you were wondering about? 

First, I appreciate the effort and information. Admittedly, I haven't used Tablo so I'm going more on abstract than reality...

Based on the target market I understand why you are taking certain approaches. It's clearly slanted toward mobile devices and as such most if not all of the approaches make perfect sense. And yes it pretty much covers what I was wondering.

I happen to fall outside your target market as my focus is viewing on TVs and maintaining the naive video quality. I'm sure there is a good reason you are recording at a fixed quality (resolution per se). My take would be to record the naive image and "downscale" per device or user selection when it was streamed. I'm guessing there is a good hardware reason why this isn't currently being done. Hopefully, just not a hard disk space consideration.

This way the naive image quality would be available to devices that support such. Of course wireless might be an issue but moving away from your model again all of my displays are hard wired and I move four recordings and various playbacks concurrently without breaking a sweat. Especially, as you move into four tuners more potential customers will be taking their normal TV viewing habits into account as it might become a "whole house" solution. With image quality being one of the main factors in picking their solution.

Now I might be totally wrong in as the "downscaled" 1080p setting might look identical to the naive image. If so, great and I'll add it to the extremely small list of possible replacements to WMC as soon as the guide data disappears. :) 

post #216 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I am not sure how other OTA DVR suppliers handle their subscriptions, but I do really like how Nuyvvo is doing it with the Tablo. If you get a subscription, it is based on your account, not your device. You can have as many Tablos as you want and upgrade as many times as you want, and you still pay for just one subscription. It makes the $150 lifetime subscription very attractive. (otherwise it is $50 a year or $5 a month)

All the preorder customers have 1 year free subscription, and that was smart on the company's part, especially since the manual recording option isn't available yet (which you would have to do without a subscription). I will likely get the lifetime deal near the end of that year.
post #217 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Now I might be totally wrong in as the "downscaled" 1080p setting might look identical to the naive image. If so, great and I'll add it to the extremely small list of possible replacements to WMC as soon as the guide data disappears. smile.gif  

What other TV based DVR options are there, if you don't mind me asking?

My main watching area is the TV too, 99% of the things I watch are DVRed. DVR+ doesn't do "new" recordings only, TiVo is a bit pricey, cable company DVR has a high monthly fee, I don't know enough WMC to know if it has a high enough WAF to be an option for me. I have no complaints about the quality of the video streamed from Tablo to my Roku, though I'm always interested in what else the market has to offer.

post #218 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

What other TV based DVR options are there, if you don't mind me asking?

I think that's off topic enough I'll pass. 

kwg likes this.
post #219 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone explain the bandwidth requirements to an old illiterate geezer, please? My cable company offers 3 mbps upload and 50 download. If I understand correctly, I would be limited to 480p SD with the Tablo? If this is the case, not sure this would be my best option?
Thank you!
post #220 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

First, I appreciate the effort and information. Admittedly, I haven't used Tablo so I'm going more on abstract than reality...

Based on the target market I understand why you are taking certain approaches. It's clearly slanted toward mobile devices and as such most if not all of the approaches make perfect sense. And yes it pretty much covers what I was wondering.

I happen to fall outside your target market as my focus is viewing on TVs and maintaining the naive video quality. I'm sure there is a good reason you are recording at a fixed quality (resolution per se). My take would be to record the naive image and "downscale" per device or user selection when it was streamed. I'm guessing there is a good hardware reason why this isn't currently being done. Hopefully, just not a hard disk space consideration.

This way the naive image quality would be available to devices that support such. Of course wireless might be an issue but moving away from your model again all of my displays are hard wired and I move four recordings and various playbacks concurrently without breaking a sweat. Especially, as you move into four tuners more potential customers will be taking their normal TV viewing habits into account as it might become a "whole house" solution. With image quality being one of the main factors in picking their solution.

Now I might be totally wrong in as the "downscaled" 1080p setting might look identical to the naive image. If so, great and I'll add it to the extremely small list of possible replacements to WMC as soon as the guide data disappears. smile.gif  

+1 - What they really should do is save the original untouched transport stream in addition to the selected re-encoded h.264 CBR version.
post #221 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanajami View Post

Can someone explain the bandwidth requirements to an old illiterate geezer, please? My cable company offers 3 mbps upload and 50 download. If I understand correctly, I would be limited to 480p SD with the Tablo? If this is the case, not sure this would be my best option?
Thank you!

Are you watching inside your home or via mobile? If it's at home, you should be able to watch full 1080 and your Internet bandwidth is irrelevant.
post #222 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Conspiracy time:

is it me or is it odd that all the reviews online and all the "lesser known" review sites that the @TabloTV twitter account is pushing do not have video reviews? i cant fine one video walkthrough of this thing. Not one major review site like Ars , the verge, engadget have reviewed this thing.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #223 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Conspiracy time:

is it me or is it odd that all the reviews online and all the "lesser known" review sites that the @TabloTV twitter account is pushing do not have video reviews? i cant fine one video walkthrough of this thing. Not one major review site like Ars , the verge, engadget have reviewed this thing.

I have tipped Engadget twice this week about Tablo.  They are just not listening.

post #224 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Conspiracy time:

It's not the easiest thing to do a video review on. Do you do it on an iPad, an Android Tablet, a Roku, or a PC? And
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

I have tipped Engadget twice this week about Tablo.  They are just not listening.

They did do a positive review of the Tablo at CES.
post #225 of 727 Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

It's not the easiest thing to do a video review on. Do you do it on an iPad, an Android Tablet, a Roku, or a PC?

That's silly. How is not easy? You do a review on whatever. You make it sound like its a difficult thing to shoot and put together. You point a camera at things and talk while you use it.

Maybe they should ask the video editing geniuses that reviewed the TiVo roamio and it's iPad streaming and control app. They somehow managed to capture those two devices working with each other on one video review.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #226 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 48

This new review is generally favourable;

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-04/tablo-tv-review/

Although he does say that the Tablo's Android/Chromecast is not quite ready for prime time and that's the one I'm waiting for.

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #227 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post

This new review is generally favourable;

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-04/tablo-tv-review/

We didn't shoot a video, but we took a ton of pics and screengrabs. Regarding larger sites and reviews, startups often have a hard time getting attention, reviews are very time consuming, and small companies don't always have the best PR agencies or approaches. But we're feeling very positive about Tablo - it's quite impressive that a 1st gen product so handily trumps a 2nd gen one (Simple TV).
post #228 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzyl View Post

They are too busy writing articles about the latest greatest news in phones/tablets.......

It would be cool if one of the owners here posted a video walk through on youtube.

I agree - nobody can figure out how to point a camera to a setup with the tablo device, a pc, and a tablet and walk through its unboxing/setup/use?

Maybe the tablo team could arrange such a video demonstration?
post #229 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I happen to fall outside your target market as my focus is viewing on TVs and maintaining the naive video quality.

+1

Charles R is 100% correct as I'd hope that users who see TabloTV as a solution for whole home DVR are not outside the target market. Despite the cool or wow factor of being able to watch TV on a smartphone or Tablet, when at home it just makes more sense to watch on the existing larger screen TV. It is for this reason that IMHO for Tablo to succeed, you must make it easier for the TV/display to interface with the Tablo box. Telling people to use the browser of a smart TV isn't really an acceptable option and a disservice to the device you have brought to market. Supporting Roku is a good start but severely limits your potential customer base. If you honestly want to sell these devices to the masses, you are going to need to support Apple TV and Android based STB's, ie FireTV and soon to be release Google Android TV. You already have IOS and Android apps, so it shouldn't require a major rewrite to make them functional via remote rather than touch screen. Native smart TV app would be welcome but probably you need to focus on making your product more accessible to the masses first.

Rick
post #230 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

+1

Charles R is 100% correct as I'd hope that users who see TabloTV as a solution for whole home DVR are not outside the target market. Despite the cool or wow factor of being able to watch TV on a smartphone or Tablet, when at home it just makes more sense to watch on the existing larger screen TV. It is for this reason that IMHO for Tablo to succeed, you must make it easier for the TV/display to interface with the Tablo box. Telling people to use the browser of a smart TV isn't really an acceptable option and a disservice to the device you have brought to market. Supporting Roku is a good start but severely limits your potential customer base. If you honestly want to sell these devices to the masses, you are going to need to support Apple TV and Android based STB's, ie FireTV and soon to be release Google Android TV. You already have IOS and Android apps, so it shouldn't require a major rewrite to make them functional via remote rather than touch screen. Native smart TV app would be welcome but probably you need to focus on making your product more accessible to the masses first.

You need to understand Nuvyyo's point of view. "We are strong believers that tablets will become the preferred media device in the digital home. At the same time bloated cable fees and ubiquitous free OTA HD TV are fueling rapid growth in cord-cutting." http://www.tablotv.com/about-nuvyyo

This is not a company that is trying to make the best set top box for a TV. This is a company that wants to make TV viewing an option for as many devices as possible, both insides and outside the home.

This company is trying to support new popular devices, but they did the right thing and delivered a working product for the most established devices. They can now take the money they have earned and work on the next phase. It's a very Agile oriented tactic.
post #231 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to understand Nuvyyo's point of view. "We are strong believers that tablets will become the preferred media device in the digital home. At the same time bloated cable fees and ubiquitous free OTA HD TV are fueling rapid growth in cord-cutting." http://www.tablotv.com/about-nuvyyo

This is not a company that is trying to make the best set top box for a TV. This is a company that wants to make TV viewing an option for as many devices as possible, both insides and outside the home.

This company is trying to support new popular devices, but they did the right thing and delivered a working product for the most established devices. They can now take the money they have earned and work on the next phase. It's a very Agile oriented tactic.

I fully understand Nuvyyo's point of view, what I've stated is that limiting their potential customer base to phones and tablets is foolish. No matter what widget one is selling, you never want to reduce you potential target customer pool. The statement you even quoted completely supports the need to support TV's at home. Do you honestly believe homes with existing cableTV and satellite subscriptions are watching them mainly on their Tablet? If you are trying to attract "cord-cutting" you must support the same devices on which people watch TV which was the entirely emphasis of my post.

Cutting the cord and watching TV on a smart phone or tablet are two related but separate issues. Is the issue, "How can we cut the cord and provide the user with a better TV experience?" or "How we can we provide a DVR to mobile devices and tablets?" The latter has nothing to do with cord cutting or saving the customer a dime.

No one except you ever implied recreating the STB. What is being suggested is that they reconsider their vision of Tablets replacing the home TV isn't going to happen in the near future (if ever) and that until the day it happens, it would be a wise business decision to support better ways to access the TabloTV on a regular TV. One of the fundamental flaws of many products is a lack of understanding of the customer needs or a lack of addressing clearly defined problem. Ask yourself this simple question, which are more people trying to eliminate their monthly cable/satellite bill or their home TV?

Rick
post #232 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I fully understand Nuvyyo's point of view, what I've stated is that limiting their potential customer base to phones and tablets is foolish. No matter what widget one is selling, you never want to reduce you potential target customer pool. The statement you even quoted completely supports the need to support TV's at home. Do you honestly believe homes with existing cableTV and satellite subscriptions are watching them mainly on their Tablet? If you are trying to attract "cord-cutting" you must support the same devices on which people watch TV which was the entirely emphasis of my post.

Cutting the cord and watching TV on a smart phone or tablet are two related but separate issues. Is the issue, "How can we cut the cord and provide the user with a better TV experience?" or "How we can we provide a DVR to mobile devices and tablets?" The latter has nothing to do with cord cutting or saving the customer a dime.

No one except you ever implied recreating the STB. What is being suggested is that they reconsider their vision of Tablets replacing the home TV isn't going to happen in the near future and that until the day it happens, it would be a wise business decision to support better ways to access the TabloTV on a regular TV. One of the fundamental flaws of many products is a lack of understanding of the customer needs or a lack of addressing clearly defined problem. Ask yourself this simple question, which are more people trying to eliminate their monthly cable/satellite bill or their home TV?

I have to agree with the bolded. I love my Tablo, but I think it's missing 2 key features [and I know they're both in the works] -- surround sound and a better way to access it on my TV (I had to buy a Roku, even though I own a SmartTV, since there is no SmartTV app and the SmartTV browser doesn't work with their web app). That being said, I'm still going to cancel cable.

post #233 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

There are no plans at all for the company to make a device that connects directly to a TV. However, the Tablo can use a Roku, AppleTv, Chromecast (though limited), Mac/PC, or the built in browser of smart TVs to play on TVs.

Will they support more devices, like the Amazon Fire? It sure sounds like it. Will they make the Roku interface better? Yes.

So to the point of "it would be a wise business decision to support better ways to access the TabloTV on a regular TV", Nuvyyo is definitely working on that. Just don't expect them to put an HDMI port on the device.
post #234 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

There are no plans at all for the company to make a device that connects directly to a TV. However, the Tablo can use a Roku, AppleTv, Chromecast (though limited), Mac/PC, or the built in browser of smart TVs to play on TVs.

Will they support more devices, like the Amazon Fire? It sure sounds like it. Will they make the Roku interface better? Yes.

So to the point of "it would be a wise business decision to support better ways to access the TabloTV on a regular TV", Nuvyyo is definitely working on that. Just don't expect them to put an HDMI port on the device.

Doesn't work on my SmartTV browser, and I own a 2 year old Samsung.

post #235 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No matter what widget one is selling, you never want to reduce you potential target customer pool.

Sure you do by design. As a device better serves a target market by default it becomes less valuable in others. That's like saying a sports car should never be a great sports car rather a mid size sedan so the market is larger. You find your niche and go for it...

What is the next big thing pay TV is offering... mobile viewing. The future is mobile devices. The pay services are diving in a big way to fight losing new generations. As far as TV viewing what is the low-end Roku $49? The return on investment is virtually instant if one is going cord cutting. It gets you the big screen experience right along with all of the Internet apps. Complaining about having to have another box or spending $50 is simply an excuse. You can't be serious in the first place if those are stopping you.

post #236 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 01:02 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure you do by design. As a device better serves a target market by default it becomes less valuable in others. That's like saying a sports car should never be a great sports car rather a mid size sedan so the market is larger. You find your niche and go for it...

What is the next big thing pay TV is offering... mobile viewing. The future is mobile devices. The pay services are diving in a big way to fight losing new generations. As far as TV viewing what is the low-end Roku $49? The return on investment is virtually instant if one is going cord cutting. It gets you the big screen experience right along with all of the Internet apps. Complaining about having to have another box or spending $50 is simply an excuse. You can't be serious in the first place if those are stopping you.

May I ask why you chose to ignore my comments above which directly state, "Roku is a good start..." My comments are advocating broader support for devices to interface with the TV. Honestly, if one just wants mobile/tablet viewing without impacting their home experience, cable and satellite providers have mobile offerings and there is always the slingbox.

I would respectfully ask you to reread my comments above. Never once was the issue of cost of the interfacing device introduced except by you although I do agree with you.

Rick
post #237 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the only person who keeps returning to the topic of Nuvyyo releasing a STB or HDMI port to the TV is you.

Rick
post #238 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 137
Quote:

I imagine it's a hard decision for a startup company (2010) faced with a $10,000 per year HDMI licensing fee and a royalty based on unit sales... esp. for a product competing in the "limited" OTA world.

post #239 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 01:59 PM

The bottom line is that the Tablo unit works as advertised.   It allows you to capture OTA signals and allows for playback on multiple devices.   If you want a lean back approach, Roku provides the best "traditional TV" experience.   If you want to venture out and stream things over AirPlay, the iPad provides this.   

post #240 of 727 Old 04-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the only person who keeps returning to the topic of Nuvyyo releasing a STB or HDMI port to the TV is you.

I guess I am confused what you are arguing about. The Tablo supports multiple devices that connect to TVs directly. You make it sound like they don't, except saying that the Roku "is a good start". It supports the Roku, AppleTv, Chromecast, and HTPCs running Chrome/Safari. Some browsers on SmartTvs work on it as well (though obviously not all).

Do they need to keep improving the interface for these devices? Sure. Do they need to support more devices in the future? Sure. All of that is on their roadmap. I think they do understand their customer base just fine.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page