60Likes

post #241 of 762 Old 04-10-2014, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions123 View Post

Doesn't work on my SmartTV browser, and I own a 2 year old Samsung.

Most smart TV platforms in most cases are inferior to Roku and Apple TV. Especially in terms of performance and ongoing support/development. My family room Panasonic is a "smart" TV - but the UI is sluggish and covered in ads, so I turned off the WiFi and have an Apple TV (and now Fire TV, too) attached to it. (And the kitchen Vizio is a smart TV often powered instead by WDTV Play or Chromecast.)

In regards to another comment, didn't realize Tablo doesn't yet include surround sound. Hm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 762 Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post

Most smart TV platforms in most cases are inferior to Roku and Apple TV. Especially in terms of performance and ongoing support/development. My family room Panasonic is a "smart" TV - but the UI is sluggish and covered in ads, so I turned off the WiFi and have an Apple TV (and now Fire TV, too) attached to it. (And the kitchen Vizio is a smart TV often powered instead by WDTV Play or Chromecast.)

In regards to another comment, didn't realize Tablo doesn't yet include surround sound. Hm.

I think it's personal preference.

I can't complain about the Samsung UI or speed, though the only apps I've used are Youtube, Hulu and HBO GO. The web browser isn't great, but I like the Tablo web app better than the Roku interface.
I also have a Panasonic "smart" blu-ray, and I don't like the web based UI at all on that...

As to surround sound, Tablo commented several times:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499826/official-tablo-thread/30#post_24476725
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499826/official-tablo-thread/210#post_24588098
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499826/official-tablo-thread/120#post_24568059

post #243 of 762 Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I think it's personal preference.

I can't complain about the Samsung UI or speed, though the only apps I've used are Youtube, Hulu and HBO GO. The web browser isn't great, but I like the Tablo web app better than the Roku interface.
I also have a Panasonic "smart" blu-ray, and I don't like the web based UI at all on that...

As to surround sound, Tablo commented several times:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499826/official-tablo-thread/30#post_24476725
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499826/official-tablo-thread/210#post_24588098
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499826/official-tablo-thread/120#post_24568059

Thanks for the surround links, looking somewhat hopeful there.

I understand your point better now that you prefer Tablo's web UI over the Roku UI, hence the desire to leverage the smart TV browser. Yes, Tablo went with the simplistic Roku presentation. It sounds like they're now digging into the platform and intend to eventually offer a richer experience. I imagine their Android work could also be ported at some point to the Fire TV. By the by, of the smart TV platforms, Samsung is the best.
Questions123 likes this.
post #244 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i hope they add support for smart Blu-ray players. many people like myself refused to pay extra for a "smart" tv and use their internet connected bluray player to access amazon, Netflix, etc.

I also have a question to those who already have a unit. is the video playback just as smooth as watching straight from the coaxial? I can only go up to 6mb download speed in my area and I fear that it will be choppy/poor quality. I wish there was a way to use the tablo but only while recording or playing back recorded videos. for live tv I wish I could bypass the unit somehow and watch unfiltered tv (not streaming) from my antenna. is this possible?
jakline likes this.
post #245 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

I also have a question to those who already have a unit. is the video playback just as smooth as watching straight from the coaxial? I can only go up to 6mb download speed in my area and I fear that it will be choppy/poor quality.

The video playback is dependent on your local wifi for in-house playback. So no, it's not choppy regardless of what your up link speed is (you're not downloading, you're uploading). Now for streaming outside of your house.
Quote:

I wish there was a way to use the tablo but only while recording or playing back recorded videos. for live tv I wish I could bypass the unit somehow and watch unfiltered tv (not streaming) from my antenna. is this possible?

Yes, put a splitter on, run one side to the Tablo, the other to the TV. Then you only need to stream your recorded DVR shows to the TV.

post #246 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

i hope they add support for smart Blu-ray players. many people like myself refused to pay extra for a "smart" tv and use their internet connected bluray player to access amazon, Netflix, etc.

I also have a question to those who already have a unit. is the video playback just as smooth as watching straight from the coaxial? I can only go up to 6mb download speed in my area and I fear that it will be choppy/poor quality. I wish there was a way to use the tablo but only while recording or playing back recorded videos. for live tv I wish I could bypass the unit somehow and watch unfiltered tv (not streaming) from my antenna. is this possible?

You are streaming on your local network from the Tablo to a device, not over the internet.   Only if you want to utilize remote viewing will your ISP come into play.   I currently run the Tablo thru a powerline adapter to stream to a Roku and use Airplay to stream to an Apple TV.   Once playback starts, it's very fluid on the Roku, iPad, Android tablet.    When streaming via AirPlay, quality is also excellent.    My wife even mentioned that the picture looked better than our Comcast/TiVo service.   

You can not bypass the unit to watch live TV, unless you have the antenna hooked up directly to your TV.   Watching Live TV thru the Tablo gives you the ability to pause shows as it's buffering them to the hard drive.

post #247 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Resume is on the roadmap! 

Tablo people, again excellent device. Another request. I don't like the way when i access my recordings via Roku that the most recent recording is all the way at the end of the list. THe most recent recording should be the first one that pops up. There should also be an option to remove that one screen that gives you the show info before you actually see the recordings.. we can do without that. Can you also make a guide like view for LIVE TV like you do on the web access page?

thanks!
post #248 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammiarka View Post

You are streaming on your local network from the Tablo to a device, not over the internet.   Only if you want to utilize remote viewing will your ISP come into play.   I currently run the Tablo thru a powerline adapter to stream to a Roku and use Airplay to stream to an Apple TV.   Once playback starts, it's very fluid on the Roku, iPad, Android tablet.    When streaming via AirPlay, quality is also excellent.    My wife even mentioned that the picture looked better than our Comcast/TiVo service.   

You can not bypass the unit to watch live TV, unless you have the antenna hooked up directly to your TV.   Watching Live TV thru the Tablo gives you the ability to pause shows as it's buffering them to the hard drive.

I'm confused by this, not very tech savy I guess. I thought your download speed determined how smooth and at what resolution you could view live tv/save recordings?
post #249 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36

Yowza - this thread is moving pretty quickly! Sorry I haven't dropped by in a few days - there have been a lot of questions on multiple different platforms so I'm trying to distribute the love evenly :)

Hat tip to Dave & Adam for jumping in with some answers - thanks guys.

About reviews.... We are expecting reviews from several of the 'big guys' but because we aren't Amazon (who launched FireTV recently) or another mondo huge company, they can pretty much take their time in getting to reviewing our unit. We're hopeful that Janko over at GigaOm will do a video review for those of you anxious to see the Tablo in action.

About feature requests - I'm making a list and checking it twice so we can solidify our short term roadmap. Taking requests in the Tablo Community here: http://community.tablotv.com/

Can't guarantee all features will magically appear tomorrow (we are only human, and we're told that we have to let the development team sleep and eat) but it'll give us some sense of what features to prioritize as well as maybe some small ones that'll be easy to cross off the list.

OK... Off to see what questions I may have missed upstream in the thread.... 

post #250 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I'm confused by this, not very tech savy I guess. I thought your download speed determined how smooth and at what resolution you could view live tv/save recordings?

No, you are thinking about it incorrectly.   The Tablo device is attached to your local network at home, either through ethernet or wifi.   Then any device that is connected to your local network (Roku, iPad, Android tablet) is accessing the Tablo and streaming "locally".  The only time Tablo uses the internet is to download guide data and/or when you are away from home to remote stream.    

post #251 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammiarka View Post

No, you are thinking about it incorrectly.   The Tablo device is attached to your local network at home, either through ethernet or wifi.   Then any device that is connected to your local network (Roku, iPad, Android tablet) is accessing the Tablo and streaming "locally".  The only time Tablo uses the internet is to download guide data and/or when you are away from home to remote stream.    

Adam is correct. Tablo gets programming from your Over-The-Air antenna so to deliver it to screens in your house, we just use your local home network. It's not like Netflix or Aereo that has to stream all of the content through the internet. 

post #252 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 AM

On SmartTVs....

All of our apps are designed for touchscreen or 'mouse'-type environments. This is why the web-based app works great on our LG SmartTV (that has a gyroscopic type remote) vs. the Samsung which is up/down/right/left remote. We would like to investigate how we can support more platforms. 

On Fire TV -

The up/down/right/left remote is the same reasons why our Android app likely won't 'just work' on Fire TV. Again, something we want to look at but we want to make the interfaces for the STBs/streaming sticks we currently support more awesome before we start wading into other platforms. 

Have I missed anything? Apologies if I have! 

Dakotah likes this.
post #253 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Hi - I'm totally new to this approach, is there a FAQ somewhere for me to read before I post Q's?
(I'm looking at cutting my cord from Comcast cable, just keep internet. I've got OTA outdoor antenna already, 3 HDTV's on different floors with 1 AppleTV, but all connected via Cable and also cat5e hard wire easy access.)
post #254 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Hi - I'm totally new to this approach, is there a FAQ somewhere for me to read before I post Q's?
(I'm looking at cutting my cord from Comcast cable, just keep internet. I've got OTA outdoor antenna already, 3 HDTV's on different floors with 1 AppleTV, but all connected via Cable and also cat5e hard wire easy access.)

Here is Tablo's FAQ page

http://www.tablotv.com/faq

post #255 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Yep, here is the site with most of the info you need: http://www.tablotv.com/support/

And from there (or by this next link), you can access the Tablo community forum for even more questions/answers: http://community.tablotv.com/
post #256 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Perfect:
Most of my Q's answered by the FAQ, however:
1: does it fully record and playback whatever audio codec the OTA broadcast is using, ie up to Dolby Digital Plus?
Quote:
Dolby Digital Plus Specifications
Channels: 1.0 to 7.1, discrete
Data rate: 32/48 kbps–6 Mbps, scalable
Supports Dolby metadata: Yes
Connections: S/PDIF, HDMI, IEEE 1394
Mixing/streaming capabilities: Yes
Backward Compatibility: Yes; S/PDIF to legacy A/V receivers

2: Appears not to have any internet streaming recording capability.....or did I miss that? In other words, some sports are NOT on OTA but still internet streaming, that is big allure for cable still......
post #257 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Perfect:
1: does it fully record and playback whatever audio codec the OTA broadcast is using, ie up to Dolby Digital Plus?
2: Appears not to have any internet streaming recording capability.....or did I miss that? In other words, some sports are NOT on OTA but still internet streaming, that is big allure for cable still......

OTA does not do Dolby digital +. OTA is either Dolby digital or stereo. Tablo does not do Dolby "yet". What ever Dolby channel you record on tablo, it will be in stereo.

If you want to record Internet streaming sites, you will need Playlater. It's a good piece of software and it has nothing to do with tablo.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #258 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 PM

I found an unboxing video....not very exciting though. Still looking for a hands on video review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNIytgDMUc8
post #259 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Quote:

Perfect:

OTA does not do Dolby digital +. OTA is either Dolby digital or stereo. Tablo does not do Dolby "yet". What ever Dolby channel you record on tablo, it will be in stereo.

If you want to record Internet streaming sites, you will need Playlater. It's a good piece of software and it has nothing to do with tablo.

well that's a deal breaker for me, as I can up-convert even good old DD 5.1 to 11.3 with my Denon 4520 (it really does sound terrific using NeoX), but going the full monty 2.0 to 11.3 does not cut it.

Therefore TabloTV when you are at least DD 5.1 compliant I'll consider your product, what is ETA for that?
As my HT is fully 11.3 capable I won't strip it's ability....
HT%252011.3%2520cover%2520off%2520Pano-b.jpg
post #260 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

well that's a deal breaker for me, as I can up-convert even good old DD 5.1 to 11.3 with my Denon 4520 (it really does sound terrific using NeoX), but going the full monty 2.0 to 11.3 does not cut it.

Therefore TabloTV when you are at least DD 5.1 compliant I'll consider your product, what is ETA for that?
As my HT is fully 11.3 capable I won't strip it's ability....
HT%252011.3%2520cover%2520off%2520Pano-b.jpg

This thing wasnt and won't be made for you. You need a TiVo.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #261 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 03:15 PM

i'll be cutting the cord in the new few months and I just thought of another advantage of tablo.....no splitters necessary. just one run to the nearest tv. this makes my setup much easier and I may not have to bother with an antenna preamp as a result of a long run of coax to our master bedroom.
post #262 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

A new firmware update was released this evening. It should automatically update within 4 hours, but you can also hit the reset button once to get it going. You need to use a browser or an app to get it loaded on the Tablo.

Once that is done, there is an app update for Android and Roku. To get the updated Roku channel, just search for updates on the Roku, and it should detect it. One of the big fixes is that you can now watch sports recordings on the Roku (weird bug). I didn't see any real improvement on the Android app, though without the update, it wouldn't detect the updated Tablo.
post #263 of 762 Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 PM

Does anyone know if the android app provides streaming to Apple TV? (like the Synology android apps for example, since it's the device that actually sends the stream to Apple Tv)

Thanks
post #264 of 762 Old 04-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabloTV View Post

Answers! 

1 - We have to 'pair' a device first so random people don't go connecting into your Tablo. If you're often at a friend's place you can have them bring their device over to pair it with your Tablo. 
2 - Yes - you've got 14 days but Live TV only shows 24 hours.
3 - We'll have our subscription status area online in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Tx for the wishlist as well! Yes - lots of this stuff is already on the map. Like the suggestion around not finding anything in search!

PLEASE reconsider the 'Connect' feature to allow simple username/password access rather than hardware IP/MAC address. U/P works fine for banks/credit cards/Netflix/Amazon/SimpleTV/Roku,etc. etc. It's a supercilious encumbrance to your goal of viewing ubiquity, to require me to 'pair' my devices with a Tablo...I have multiple homes/cabin, travel frequently, and visit friends often, who already have plenty of hardware/Roku's/etc. but I couldn't access my home service in these locations on their established devices due to this limitation.
post #265 of 762 Old 04-13-2014, 01:35 PM

roku interface review I found on youtube.....I really wish when you pulled up live tv it showed everything in a guide grid with the time at the top, showing the next 1.5-2 hours of programming for all the channels you have selected, like the guide for cable or satellite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbsxSw5vhe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxIxN4lYpA
alphawave7 likes this.
post #266 of 762 Old 04-13-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:

roku interface review I found on youtube.....I really wish when you pulled up live tv it showed everything in a guide grid with the time at the top, showing the next 1.5-2 hours of programming for all the channels you have selected, like the guide for cable or satellite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbsxSw5vhe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxIxN4lYpA

Justin did nice coverage of some of the issues...I was surprised you can't shedule from Roku, like I can from SimpleTV...hope Tablo corrects that pronto. Thanks for the vid links! smile.gif
post #267 of 762 Old 04-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post

I was surprised you can't shedule from Roku, like I can from SimpleTV...hope Tablo corrects that pronto. Thanks for the vid links! smile.gif

You can record on the Roku just like the iPad, Android Tablet, or web interface. Select the show to record, and select either All New or All Episodes.

The only thing you can't do on any interface is to be in a live program and record it there.
alphawave7 likes this.
post #268 of 762 Old 04-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

You can record on the Roku just like the iPad, Android Tablet, or web interface. Select the show to record, and select either All New or All Episodes.

The only thing you can't do on any interface to be in a live program and record it there.

Good to know. Justin seemed to suggest otherwise...
edit: Actually thinking about it, that's pretty much what he said 'you can't do anything here' during Live demo. Cheers!
post #269 of 762 Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:

First impressions: I’m very impressed

Appearance
The form factor is smaller than I expected. It’s solid. All good here.

Setup
I’m using a wired connection, and a computer, Samsung Smart TV, and Samsung smartphones. I tried using Firefox, but firefox will not connect from the PC. The Tablo recognized my harddrive right away (Toshiba Canvio 1.5TB ). It showed me the channel listings, I chose which ones I wanted to add, it downloaded the latest firmware.
And again… the Tablo asked me to format my hard drive, and again I hit format (I’m guessing the firmware update interrupted the format process, no biggie, but would’ve been nice to know). Until the drive is formatted, you can’t use the Tablo. The format probably took about 20 mins.
Tablo connect needs to be manually enabled via settings.

Tuners
The tuners are sensitive. The two channels which my TV struggles with (poor reception), work very well on the Tablo.

Computer Use
I could only add some TV shows, I’m guessing the channel guide data didn’t fully come in yet…

Samsung Smart TV Usage
I can get onto the my.tablotv.com website, it detects the Tablo, but it hangs when I try to connect to it (says “Connecting” with the spinning circle)… o well, that would’ve been nice. For now I'll keep the Roku.

Smartphone Usage
Worked both in-network and after it was paired.
Though I get a message “You are running a version of Android that supports playing Tablo video in the Android video player. Launch the video player using the button below.” That’s great, but when I launch the video in the designated viewer, I don’t have pause/rewind/etc. functionality.

Roku Usage
Roku works fine. The rewind/fast forward displays on screen as expected. Streams well, etc.

One thing I noticed in video quality -- I set the Tablo to 720p and set the Roku to upconvert to 1080p the video quality was noticeably worse than if I set the Roku to 720p and my AVR to 1080p (I didn't try passthrough on the AVR, but I will later)

Guide
It took me about 12+ hours for the guide to download. Up until then, every few hours I would see more shows listed under "TV Shows".

I like the guide, it showing you exactly what time it is and how far along you are

I like that I can click on a show and it’ll not only show me the next episode on the “primary” channel, but it’ll search for the show and any episodes available on ANY channel. Impressive.

Issues
1. I paused live TV, through the computer, and there is no “live” or fast forward button. If I use the keyboard, then yes, I can skip forward or back, but it’s not intuitive, and I don’t see how far back I went in the episode on the screen (i.e. with my current cable DVR, if I hit pause, it’ll show me that I’m at 5:43 of the 30:00 episode). On the Roku it works fine.
2. One more issue: the conflict resolution doesn't work from the webapp, i.e. there is no conflict resolution button "Resolve "Conflict" as shown here: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201749027-Chapter-5-Using-the-Tablo-App

Wishlist (I know most of these are already in the pipeline)
5.1 surround sound passthrough
It would be nice to have an update bar on the status of the format of the hard drive
Firefox support
Smart TV apps
Automatic stream quality
Hard drive being swappable between Tablos
Adjusting the recording times (i.e. +/-1min, +/-5mins, +/-30mins)
When searching for a recording, if nothing comes up, it should say “nothing” instead of a black screen (I can’t tell if it’s still thinking, or it didn’t find anything)
Smartphone app for pause/rewind/fast forward
Ability to use a browser in someone elses home for streaming…
Place to check my subscription status
Deleting through Roku
Option to resume playback from where I left off (on the webapp it does this)

One week later: I'm still very impressed, I cancelled cable this week.

The good
The customer service and involvement is just amazing, and a few items on my wish list have been implemented.

The Roku app is becoming a little bit more usable, but it's still a long ways from the web app.

The bad
I've had two failed recordings. Two of my channels have less than ideal signal strengths, and it varies with weather, the Tablo will not record if the signal strength is poor.

Me personally: I'd prefer to have 90% of a show be watchable and recorded, rather than 0% of a show.

New Wishlist (I know most of these are already in the pipeline)
Must have
5.1 surround sound passthrough
Roku option to resume playback from where I left off, now you can Play, More Info and Delete. There should be another option to "Resume Playback"
Roku fast forward should display the image like the Cable DVR does, otherwise it's hard to figure out if you went far enough
Conflict resolution in the web app
Priority list for recordings to easily deal with conflicts, otherwise it's first come first serve, and I set up my recordings a week ago, I don't remember anymore which one I added first
Adjusting the recording times (i.e. +/-1min, +/-5mins, +/-30mins)
Would be nice
Automatic stream quality
Fast forward/rewind/live TV buttons on the web app
Firefox support
Hard drive being swappable between Tablos
Ability to use a browser in someone elses home for streaming…
Place to check my subscription status
Smart TV apps and/or ability to play from my Smart TVs web browser

post #270 of 762 Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, Questions. I have had it for a week as well, and have gone through recording all my regularly scheduled shows at least once now. I am pleased so far with how it is gone, and my wife and kids are getting used to it as well.

Here are some changes that you haven't mentioned, though I think most are in the pipeline as well.
1. Support for IE. I have a Win8 phone that can see the Tablo, but web app doesn't play anything or show any recordings/live tv. This would also affect Microsoft Surface (non-Pro) users where IE is the only browser available.

2.Being able to pause/rewind/and FF in Chromecast using an Android tablet. I have a Chromecast on my bedroom TV, and I hardly use it now since the Chromecast app is limited. It does play live TV and recordings, but all the other ways of using the Tablo have more functions.

3. Add iPad Chromecast support.

So far, I have only had one problem with a recording. It looks like I lost signal temporarily this Saturday morning, and I lost a couple of minutes of video about 10 minutes into a 30 minute recording. However, it did not cancel the recording, and the rest of the recording was fine. I have read where if the problem happens at the beginning of the recording, it just won't record.

I was a little worried about sports on the Tablo, but after watching the NCAA Championship and the Masters through my Roku/Tablo on my 65" TV, I was impressed by the picture quality and ability to keep up with the fast motion. I watch some sports on the ESPN app on the Roku, and it is definitely worse that ESPN on satellite. I didn't really see a difference using the Tablo compared to antenna/satellite.

My DirecTv receivers are all boxed up now, and I am shipping them back today. smile.gif
TabloTV likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders