Question about Capture Video quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody!!!

My question is about video recording for HD STB.

I want to know first, what difference between 15Mbits per sec versus 20 Mbits per second. Is there a big difference about video quality? I capture with a hdmi cable.

Because I bought Hauppage HDPVR2 , maximum quality is 14Mbits per second.

I wonder if it would be better for me to buy the Colossus mode lthat picks has 20Mbit second?
If I converse the HDPVR2 do will have enough to watch on a screen projector with 92-inch?

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
In my experience, most HD content on cable and satellite is less than 15Mbps, so you should see no difference in picture quality capturing at a higher rate.

May I ask what your source is (cable, satellite or OTA), and if you are in the US? If you are in the US and have cable, then there are cheaper/better/easier ways to record that than video capture.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

In my experience, most HD content on cable and satellite is less than 15Mbps, so you should see no difference in picture quality capturing at a higher rate.

May I ask what your source is (cable, satellite or OTA), and if you are in the US? If you are in the US and have cable, then there are cheaper/better/easier ways to record that than video capture.

Hi mdavej,

I'm in Canada, I have the cable with HD receiver. What are some ways easier and cheaper?
I'm freed up space on my HHD it is always full! You think 15MBits sec is enoung if a want to copy on BD-R
post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeinc86 View Post

Hi mdavej,

I'm in Canada, I have the cable with HD receiver. What are some ways easier and cheaper?
I'm freed up space on my HHD it is always full! You think 15MBits sec is enoung if a want to copy on BD-R
Sorry, nothing easier or cheaper in that case. Not sure what kind of bitrates you get on your cable system, but in the US, I'm getting 13-16Mbps on average, so 20 would be overkill. The lower you go on BD-R the more room you have of course.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Does your capture card record in MPEG-2 or MPEG-4? The best quality you can get is to save the original transport stream sent by the provider, but you need a DVR (or PC TV tuner card) for that, rather than a capture card. It's possible to get a much higher quality/filesize ratio by transcoding to H.264 with x264's CRF mode, but that requires extra work and time.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-09-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Does your capture card record in MPEG-2 or MPEG-4? The best quality you can get is to save the original transport stream sent by the provider, but you need a DVR (or PC TV tuner card) for that, rather than a capture card. It's possible to get a much higher quality/filesize ratio by transcoding to H.264 with x264's CRF mode, but that requires extra work and time.

Hi i capture MPEG2, What is the best bitrate to record HD TV???? HDPVR2 can do the job or not???
I have DVR from my cable company.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Hi i capture MPEG2, What is the best bitrate to record HD TV???? HDPVR2 can do the job or not???
I have DVR from my cable company.
Theoretically a QAM cable channel could deliver bit rates comparable to a Blu-ray disc. In practice I've never seen rates that exceed ~14Mbps over a cable channel. ~10Mbps for 1808i programming is not unusual, and looks just fine. Using the maximum quality mode of your HDPVR2 should be ideal for up to 1808i programming.

I live in the US and don't know that much about Canadian cable TV. If your cable provider is offering 1808p60 service, then you might want to ask them about the bit rate that they use. I haven't seen a US cable company that does more than 1080i, same as ATSC, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

What sort of programming are you trying to record?

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post

Theoretically a QAM cable channel could deliver bit rates comparable to a Blu-ray disc. In practice I've never seen rates that exceed ~14Mbps over a cable channel. ~10Mbps for 1808i programming is not unusual, and looks just fine. Using the maximum quality mode of your HDPVR2 should be ideal for up to 1808i programming.

I live in the US and don't know that much about Canadian cable TV. If your cable provider is offering 1808p60 service, then you might want to ask them about the bit rate that they use. I haven't seen a US cable company that does more than 1080i, same as ATSC, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

What sort of programming are you trying to record?

I want to record movies from something like Super Channel (movie channel)

My cable provider 1080i 60FPS maximum.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I want to record movies from something like Super Channel (movie channel)

My cable provider 1080i 60FPS maximum.
That looks like a regular 1080i channel. Recording at 14Mbps should be ideal.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page