Very Weak Signal with RNG110 - Drop Amp Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I've been having really bad signal issues with my Comcast Cable. I have a RNG110 STB. As far as cabling goes, it's all RG6 and there are no splitters running to the TV. I just installed a Motorola BDA-K4RA drop amp (4-port w/ active return), and there was a clear improvement in the signal, however, the signal is still too weak. There is major pixelation and freezing on some channels on my HDTV. The other ports on the drop amp have terminators on them at the moment, but I will be hooking those up to give three more bedrooms cable TV in the house.

These were the readings on the diagnostic screen:

Before Drop Amp

Upstream: 38

OOB: -28.1

IB1: -13

After Drop Amp

Upstream: 60

OOB: -13.0

IB1: -3.8

The signal is still a little too weak. So here is my question: Should I take the cable when it runs into the house, install a 2 way splitter, and then use TWO drop amps. One would be a single port that would go directly to the TV, and the other would cover the rest of the house. The reason I'm thinking this would work is because the TV is at the farthest point in the house, with the cable run being at least 100 feet. I'm hoping that the single port drop amp would amplify the signal more than the 4-port drop amp, and thus give the TV the stronger signal.

Current Setup

Cable->Drop Amp (4-port)->TV, terminator, terminator, terminator.

Proposed Setup

Cable->2-Way Splitter->Drop Amp (4-port)->Bedroom TV, Bedroom TV, Bedroom TV

|

Drop Amp (1-port)->TV

Does this make sense, or do you think it would even work? Or does adding a single port drop amp do the exact same thing as a 4-port?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-07-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Wrong forum, try here;
http://www.avsforum.com/f/25/hdtv-technical

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 89
You don't want a splitter before the amp. That weakens the signal. The amp will serve as an amplified splitter. And you don't need 2 amps. Use one amp and the 4 ports will serve all TVs. If the signal is too weak as you say, then the cable company needs to boost the power of the signal as it enters your house. That is where the problem may be. Then your single 4-port amp should work fine.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-08-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by legstrong337 View Post

Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I've been having really bad signal issues with my Comcast Cable. I have a RNG110 STB. As far as cabling goes, it's all RG6 and there are no splitters running to the TV. I just installed a Motorola BDA-K4RA drop amp (4-port w/ active return), and there was a clear improvement in the signal, however, the signal is still too weak. There is major pixelation and freezing on some channels on my HDTV. The other ports on the drop amp have terminators on them at the moment, but I will be hooking those up to give three more bedrooms cable TV in the house.

These were the readings on the diagnostic screen:

Before Drop Amp
Upstream: 38
OOB: -28.1
IB1: -13

After Drop Amp
Upstream: 60
OOB: -13.0
IB1: -3.8

The signal is still a little too weak. So here is my question: Should I take the cable when it runs into the house, install a 2 way splitter, and then use TWO drop amps. One would be a single port that would go directly to the TV, and the other would cover the rest of the house. The reason I'm thinking this would work is because the TV is at the farthest point in the house, with the cable run being at least 100 feet. I'm hoping that the single port drop amp would amplify the signal more than the 4-port drop amp, and thus give the TV the stronger signal.

Current Setup
Cable->Drop Amp (4-port)->TV, terminator, terminator, terminator.

Proposed Setup
Cable->2-Way Splitter->Drop Amp (4-port)->Bedroom TV, Bedroom TV, Bedroom TV

|
                       Drop Amp (1-port)->TV

Does this make sense, or do you think it would even work? Or does adding a single port drop amp do the exact same thing as a 4-port?
Actually the only thing that would make sense in your situation would be to have the cable guy out to fix it. Odds are if your signal level is that piss-poor you've also got bad signal to noise and no amplifier will correct that.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page