Blu-Ray Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We need Blu-ray recorders ASAP. Too many instances of DVR hard drives crashing and people losing all of their saved programming. DVRs were meant for time shifting. Blu-rays were meant for long-term storage.

I remember one of the first Sharp HDTV manuals gave instructions for recording to a Blu-ray recorder through firewire. That was in 2005!

So here we are in 2014 and still no Blu-ray HDTV recorders in the US market. Recording to a DVR then offloading to a computer using a Hauppauge HDPVR and then authoring a Blu-Ray or AVCHD disk just takes too much time to be practical. Surely someone can just put this all into one device and record through component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 339
So get a TiVo and offload to network storage. Or get an iView or one of the others that uses an external HDD that you can plug into your PC and offload onto network storage. Or get a HTPC equipped with a BD burner and tuner and do it all from one box. Plenty of alternative solutions out there. The days of stand-alone disk burners in the US are long gone.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
The elite will not allow that here.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 86
post #5 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I ended up getting an external USB BD burner for when I need more capacity than a DVD5 offers. It isn't very fast, but it gets the job done.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Apparently consumers here in NA are too cheap to pay for functionality avaliable in japan or europe, or content owners have pressured CEM`s to only offer limited finctionality....the US is a huge market.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 86

I think both, with even more emphasis on the first than latter and as to your last point, while the US is a very large market very few use OTA. Cable and satellite(the way the vast majority of the US gets it's TV) uses competing formats and aren't very conducive to customer owned equipment. Add to that the fact that we don't really have a working EPG and I can see why mfgs. avoid N. America for such devices.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Not sure there's really much demand for it. What is there that's worth archiving? I save a lot of college sports, my alma mater's football and basketball games, because there's no place you can buy those afterwards. But broadcast TV? Movies? You can usually buy those on Blu-Ray. I supposed there are some special, one-off broadcasts that might be worth saving.

As has been posted, there are ways to do it if you really want to, and that's probably good enough to satisfy this niche market.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Recording is cheaper than buying.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Recording to BD has been out for a very long time. For many years all I've needed to do was to transfer the content to a PC from my TiVo and burn it to BD if i wanted. But I don't use burning to BD beacuse burning to a Blu-ray Disc is too slow and a BD only has a small amount of storage. It's quicker and eaiser just to copy the content to a USB 3.0 hard drive or even a USB 3.0 flash drive to play back from a media player.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11 of 13 Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

We need Blu-ray recorders ASAP. Too many instances of DVR hard drives crashing and people losing all of their saved programming. DVRs were meant for time shifting. Blu-rays were meant for long-term storage.

Most people are content with DVRs because they watch something once and delete it. Most Americans don't archive, especially when you can just stream it or buy it on disc if you really feel the need to watch it later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Recording is cheaper than buying.

Yeah, but the average Joe doesn't look at the long term. They see the short term of "spend x hundreds on a recorder vs $8 for Netflix, $10-$15 for the disc once in a while and $10 per month for a DVR." You're not going to change that mass market mentality anytime soon.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #12 of 13 Old 12-21-2013, 09:37 PM

Liked: 10
I've been waiting for a stand alone blu-ray recorder for 5 years. The one available in the US is a rebadged JVC one that costs $1500.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhakar2k View Post

I've been waiting for a stand alone blu-ray recorder for 5 years. The one available in the US is a rebadged JVC one that costs $1500.

It also doesn't have any of the usual HD inputs, just standard def and some inputs for camcorders. It's not intended for commercial HD program recording.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page