Have two DVRs and the remotes for one also contol the other. How do I change one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Two DVRs:

1. Motorola DCT 6416 III

2. Motorola DCX 3400 M

The 3400 M was a replacement for another 6416, due to failure of that box.

The problem I have is that the remote for the 6416 is controlling the on/off and channel changer on the 3400, and vice versa. We did not have this issue when we had two 6416s. I'm assuming  there is a code somewhere in the set top box that determines what version of the various remote code sets it recognizes.

Is there a way to change the setting on the 3400 so that it doesn't respond to my 6416 remote?

The provider is Suddenlink, though the 6416 remote has the Cox Communications logo on it.  (Suddenlink bought the local Cox affiliate several years ago.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickernator View Post

Is there a way to change the setting on the 3400 so that it doesn't respond to my 6416 remote?
No
post #3 of 12 Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickernator View Post

Two DVRs:

1. Motorola DCT 6416 III
   2. Motorola DCX 3400 M

The 3400 M was a replacement for another 6416, due to failure of that box.

The problem I have is that the remote for the 6416 is controlling the on/off and channel changer on the 3400, and vice versa. We did not have this issue when we had two 6416s. I'm assuming  there is a code somewhere in the set top box that determines what version of the various remote code sets it recognizes.

The provider is Suddenlink, though the 6416 remote has the Cox Communications logo on it.  (Suddenlink bought the local Cox affiliate several years ago.)

(Many) years ago, I had the same problem on two VCRs. I had a bunch of old photography filters laying around. I put a vertically polarized filter in front of one VCR sensor, and a horizontally polarized filter in front of the other. Then, simply orientating the remote in either the vertical or horizontal plane determined which VCR got the signal. YMMV.
videobruce likes this.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You could also open them up, and wire a spst switch in series with the IR sensor.

Flip it to OFF, and that dvr will no longer respond to the IR signal. You can then program the OTHER one during that interval while the switch is off.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
When I was in a similar situation, a very low-tech solution worked for me: a piece of corrugated cardboard placed in front of the remote eye on the DVR that I did not want to respond to the signal.  Having to get up and go to the DVRs to move the cardboard from one DVR to the other wasn't nearly the effort of having to get up and go to the TV itself to use its knobs or dials for every function as we did in my youth, so I didn't mind it much.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post

You could also open them up, and wire a spst switch in series with the IR sensor.

Flip it to OFF, and that dvr will no longer respond to the IR signal. You can then program the OTHER one during that interval while the switch is off.

Just turning off the power switch would give the same results. I tried to give a solution that would not require trip(s) out of his chair. Some of us are disabled.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2014, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Just turning off the power switch would give the same results. I tried to give a solution that would not require trip(s) out of his chair. Some of us are disabled.

A filter could be a good way to go, I wasn't aware of them working like this, so thank you, and please realise my post in no way was any comment on your filter post.

You really don't want to completely power cycle dvr's frequently for a purpose such as this, and many don't even have on/off switches. Dvr's are meant to be up and running 24/7. A switch that simply disables the IR is an easy and cheap solution that few thinks of. For a person that is disabled, you can purchase and install a remote on/off switch. It's a choice to make the OP aware of, and then he can decide and try what he so chooses.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-12-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

You really don't want to completely power cycle dvr's frequently for a purpose such as this, and many don't even have on/off switches. Dvr's are meant to be up and running 24/7.

The 24/7 uptime is necessary for DVRs that constantly update their schedules to do name-based recording, but it is not a necessity of all DVRs. Ones that do time-based recording can turn themselves on when it's time to record and then power down again, just as a VCR would.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Quote:

You really don't want to completely power cycle dvr's frequently for a purpose such as this, and many don't even have on/off switches. Dvr's are meant to be up and running 24/7.

The 24/7 uptime is necessary for DVRs that constantly update their schedules to do name-based recording, but it is not a necessity of all DVRs. Ones that do time-based recording can turn themselves on when it's time to record and then power down again, just as a VCR would.

DVRs that have an ON/OFF button aren't even close to being off when switched as so. They are merely in "stand-by." An "off" DVR receives its schedule updates just fine in this mode.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, you can always throw money at the problem and get an addressable IR system. But I like the polarized filters myself.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi snickernator – My name is Shannon and I am with Suddenlink. I would be happy to look into this further for you and assist in a resolution. Please contact me via email at shannon-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com. Thank you!
post #12 of 12 Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Since Suddenlink is offering to help, just ask them for a different brand box to replace one of your Moto's. Problem solved.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page