ViP722 and OTA channels in program guide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this is the wrong area to post this.

I have a DishNetwork ViP722 HD DVR. I have also been working on a project to add an OTA antenna. Here is a thread pertaining to my OTA signal and channels: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1507477

I am still working on getting my cable run in the walls, but I did hook up a temporary cable to test the antenna signal. I am getting decent signal and have been able to pull in the 5 stations broadcasting from 113 degrees about 18 miles away.

The issue is that I am not getting program guide information for some of these channels.

For instance, my CBS channel is 004-00 from Dish, but it is on 007-01 OTA.
NBC is working fine. Dish: 006-00, OTA: 006-01
And so is PBS.
ABC & FOX are also not working. Dish: 018-00 & 024-00, OTA: 028-01 & 028-02 respectively.

Can I map these on the receiver so that I correctly get program guide information for the OTA channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The OTA guide comes down with the overnight download. You can force an update by running the guide to the last day, then it should ask if you would like to run an update. I think it will also run an update after manually running a switch check.

You will not receive guide info for any channels involved in a dispute with Dish or any translator channels. KWYB-LD is a translator for your FOX and ABC, and I’m guessing your NBC is still in a dispute with Dish. You can still record using manual timers, then rename the recording after they are competed.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I can tell you that the issue is not the 722s fault, or Dish for that matter. The issue with the CBS channel that Dish is giving you a CBS signal from a different station than you are getting from your antenna. While both stations are affiliated with each other, the one you are getting off of your antenna is from a translator and probably doesn't have the guide data on it. I am guessing that your ABC and Fox issue are related to the same thing. Looking at your TV Fool data, from the other thread, the 'real' stations transmission towers are located in a different direction and are red. That means that they probably don't have enough signal to reach you.

Bobby 

post #4 of 4 Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe this is correct. What recourse do I have? Do I need to bug the station to carry the guide data in the broadcast? What is really strange is that CBS and CW are from the same broadcaster (KBZK-DT - CBS) and yet CW has the guide data in it.

Another question, I am getting a signal strength indicated on the ViP722 of 78-90 depending on the channel. Is that a reasonably strong signal? I ask because I was watching a channel the other day that gets a signal strength of 78-80 and it was breaking up pretty steadily. However, I have also watched the channel and it is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I can tell you that the issue is not the 722s fault, or Dish for that matter. The issue with the CBS channel that Dish is giving you a CBS signal from a different station than you are getting from your antenna. While both stations are affiliated with each other, the one you are getting off of your antenna is from a translator and probably doesn't have the guide data on it. I am guessing that your ABC and Fox issue are related to the same thing. Looking at your TV Fool data, from the other thread, the 'real' stations transmission towers are located in a different direction and are red. That means that they probably don't have enough signal to reach you.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page